The Last Story - RPG from Mistwalker & Nintendo - Out in Japan, rest of world waits

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Some time ago, "The Last Story" appeared in some of Nintendo's trademark registrations. Also, Sakaguchi was hinting that Mistwalker was planning to announce a new title in Spring.

When Nintendo released their quarterly results, they effectively confirmed that both titles are the same. The Last Story is a Wii RPG by Mistwalker. Of course, not much is known about it, outside of the logo, a piece of music, and a blurb on Nintendo's investor relations. According to the web site, they plan to open a developer blog in March 2010, so we should get more information by then.

Official Site
Investor Relations page
GAF topic

IR Blurb translated by GAF's duckroll]Due for release in Japan in 2010 said:
official site[/url].

Last edited by a moderator:
Lost Odyssey 2 would be awesome, but truthfully I'm glad to see the Wii finally getting what could be some decent RPGs. I just hope they're not too fouled up by motion controls.

"Man, probably going to be more fucking mini games, it should be fucking on Xbox where the real fucking gamers are, not this fucking stupid fucking system. I can say fuck because I'm fucking mature, adjectives are awesome".

Well, that's the kind of response I'm expecting. :p I'm excited by all means, I loved Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and I'm glad they are going to make another original IP!

I'm beyond excited about this game, although I haven't been a huge Mistwalker fan yet outside of one game. Wii is definitely on a roll w/ awesome announcements. :D

I really wish there was more info on this game. Lost Odyssey is the only reason I miss my 360 (well that and Vesperia), so if this can match that it should be awesome.

The reference to Final Fantasy has me interested. Lost Odyssey had some things going for it, maybe Mistwalker can make the next true Final Fantasy this time around.

[quote name='Trakan']Lame, give me Lost Odyssey 2.[/QUOTE]

I want LO2 as well... but damn the Wii is gonna friggin' pwn this year.

Any chance this could be rated M? With so many great M rated RPGs last few years I don't know if Teen rated RPG will impress much. Back to Mass Effect 2

Hopefully it's decent. The Wii needs more games that are shovelware or casual software and I would definitely love an RPG.

But I too would have rather gotten Lost Odyssey 2.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I want LO2 as well... but damn the Wii is gonna friggin' pwn this year.[/QUOTE]

Hurray for 30 second battle intros and other archaic design choices. I hope this game is at least a huge improvement over Lost Odyssey. Seriously though the Wii has quite a few good-looking RPGs coming up.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']^ You expect them to know what adjectives are? :)[/QUOTE]

Very true, I should remember the "hardcore" gamers on the internet are either of the following:

1) Kids who are uneducated (yay!)

2) Adults who can't grow up

And that sums up Kotaku and a few other places who are having a circle jerk right now. :D

[quote name='Puffa469']Last Story / Final Fantasy

separated at birth?[/QUOTE]

I am not trying to be a dick but you're two weeks late with that one.

Official Site
The site's been updated with some new music, artwork, and a brief summary of the game's setting.

Artwork
Summary

[quote name='duckroll']It's just the director and producer talking about Ruri Island, which is the setting for the game. The director talks about how the continent is surrounded by mountain ranges and the only accessible point being that island port. As such it is heavily fortified and a major point of defense. It sounds like the ruler of the island carries certain ambitions and seeks magic as a resource to rise in power.

Somehow even though the entire empire is suffering poverty and decay, the town of Ruri remains prosperous. It's implied that the source of the town's wealth is related to magic, and there's a strange power in it which begins to attract monsters towards it, and the fate of the island is soon to be changed forever.

The world of The Last Story is supposed to be one where metal resources are scarce, and Sakaguchi is trying to limit the amount of sci-fi influence on the world setting, and he wants players to be able to enjoy a smooth experience of exploring around Ruri Island, a place bathed in the abundance of radiant sunlight.[/quote]

The colors are bland and the game is kind of dark, but other than that I like what I see. The battle system looks very intriguing and pretty impressive on the graphics side.

Now we just need to get an official US announcement. Please don't ignore this one Nintendo.

I found it hilarious that part of that trailer focuses on showing off a similar animation technology that was featured in Assassin's Creed for two walking characters colliding with each other.

Other then that the combat system looks interesting; but the lip syncing and voice work didn't seem all that good.

Mistwalker mentioned on their Twitter account that there might be an overseas announcement by the end of this year.

Actually, they said by the end of the month.

Funny thing about that, Nintendo's going to be at Comic Con later this month.

Combat system looks pretty fun. I hope the best for Mist Walker and end up getting mediocrity thus far, but really like Sakaguchi's retro design philosophy.

Still can't tell what the gameplay is like, but damn if I'm not interested. Looks amazing, especially for Wii. (Count me among those slightly disappointed LO2 hasn't been announced yet though)

[quote name='KingBroly']Actually, they said by the end of the month.

Funny thing about that, Nintendo's going to be at Comic Con later this month.[/QUOTE]

They later said that the month thing was a typo, and they really meant to say by the end of the year.

There is no fucking excuse for NOA not to bring Xenoblade and The Last Story over, period. That trailer looked amazing! Then again, Mistwalker made one of the very few games I enjoyed on the 360, Lost Odyssey, so no surprise. :D

Hmm, can't understand why a 3rd party would want to release anything on the Wii at this point.

Wish it was on PS3/360...but oh well. Hope it's good.

Rumour from the European side, supposedly a Nintendo rep at the MCM London event said that The Last Story is headed to Europe:
http://jrpgtribe.com/news/a-change-of-heart-from-nintendo-the-last-story-is-coming-to-europe/

And I meant to post these earlier, but better late than never I guess:
- In December 2010, Sakaguchi hosted a 1.5-hour The Last Story presentation. As far as I know, there is no subtitled version on the Internet, but it should be pretty easy to tell what's happening.
Official Nintendo link for the presentation (It's split into two parts, using the buttons below the video. The left button is the main gameplay presentation, while the right button contains the discussion and multi-player demonstration portions of the presentation)
Youtube version of the presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAyTwZn89e8

- For the first episode of the new GamePro RPG podcast, RolePlayers' Realm (The successor of 1UP's Active Time Babble podcast), Kat Bailey spoke with freelancer Richard from Japan about his playtime with The Last Story. Timestamps are at the episode's page.

- Might as well mention this Youtube video too, as it shows the first hour of gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPPVGP8Mgg

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back