Red Faction Guerrilla (PC) $5 - Direct2Drive Deal of the Week

[quote name='mtxbass1']Wow. Is there any DRM on this?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's my big worry too. I'm holding off until I get some confirmation on this issue.

Very nice find.

I don't think this game had any drm, and d2d doesn't add their own drm
there is some difficulties playing online with games for windows live, I know the steam version needs or needed patching, but the single player shouldn't have a problem

this game is a blast to play, but again, if going into it purely for co-op, investigate if windows live is all working now.

it's a GFWL title, i got it on steam during its sale there, & steam is missing the patch (but you can trick the gfwl patcher to install to the steam folder & it works fine)

d2d tells you if there's drm in their games (usually.. for some reason i dont see tages 3 activations listed for riddick anymore)

i wouldnt worry about any 'drm' for RFG in particular

[quote name='ChernobylCow']God damn so tempted. Double the gamer points.[/QUOTE]

So I can buy this on D2D and get gamerpoints? can you please tell me how to do this? Thanks!

That's an insane price for this great game! It was $10 in the Steam holiday sale, and I've already put 20 hours into it!

I have no idea what sort of DRM is on this title with D2D, but the fact it isn't marked as DRM-free suggests there is some of some sort. I think D2D often default to the same DRM as a boxed copy, but I don't know what that was.

But I'm pretty sure you can type the cd key into Impulse if you prefer that brand of DRM. It worked with the key from my steam copy.

Also be sure to get xliveless to remove GFWL from this game
if you aren't one of those GFWL-loving players killing PC games because of your lust for gamerpoints ;)

Great post! I've only seen Giant Bomb's quickview of the game and it looked like a lot of fun. Does it maintain that same level of insane fun throughout the rest of the game?

[quote name='jr233270']So I can buy this on D2D and get gamerpoints? can you please tell me how to do this? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I believe 360 and PC gamerpoints are separate. Giving such games a potential of 2000/2000, if not higher for those with DLC achievements.

Oh hell yes!!!

Dont worry about D2D, I have bought quite a few things from there, and all of them have activated on Steam, making it no different than buying from Steam itself.

Can anyone confirm if you can activate this on Steam?

[quote name='Pojomofo']Can anyone confirm if you can activate this on Steam?[/QUOTE]

No, it can't be activated on Steam. I think it can be activated on Impulse (Impulse accepted the key from a Steam copy, so D2D keys should be the same).

There aren't actually all that many Steam-activatable titles on D2D, you've probably been pretty lucky in your selection. You can of course add anything as a non-Steam game into Steam to get the overlay, etc. but you won't be able to download or install it through Steam.

it's been on sale on steam multiple times, i wouldnt wait (especially at $5, when is that ever gonna happen again)

[quote name='bitter1961']No, it can't be activated on Steam. I think it can be activated on Impulse (Impulse accepted the key from a Steam copy, so D2D keys should be the same).

There aren't actually all that many Steam-activatable titles on D2D, you've probably been pretty lucky in your selection. You can of course add anything as a non-Steam game into Steam to get the overlay, etc. but you won't be able to download or install it through Steam.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm it activates on impulse? Impulse is exactly like steam right? I had it for Demigod but don't have it installed right now.

Good catch. I'm going to wait for an inevitable steam sale too - now that they're doing midweek sales all the time now the chances are even better. If not, I'm sure it'll be around next Christmas.

This is a very good price, but D2D pissed me off so much last year during their anniversary sale where I went back and forth for their support for weeks, TRYING to buy games from them with no luck. I just don't want to give them any money any more.

my steam copy couldn't also be registered on impulse, that's the first I've heard of it also registering on impulse

This game uses GFWL SSA (Yay no activation limits but its) bound to 1 gamer tag. I have heard that all versions can also be activated on impulse maybe it was only retail...

Freakin A... that's a hot price! I already own it for PS3 but I think I'll Goozex my copy and buy this if I can get it to work decently on my PC.

I just tried to activate my key on Impulse with no luck. So it seems that is not the case, or I just have a key that doesn't allow it.

[quote name='vherub']my steam copy couldn't also be registered on impulse, that's the first I've heard of it also registering on impulse[/QUOTE]

I saw this suggestion to do it in a steam thread about getting the patch working, which made me curious to try it. It worked fine for me, going into the menu->"Register a product..." then clicking the "Add Registration" button down at the bottom and choosing Red Faction Guerrilla from the drop-down list (Impulse doesn't seem to be able to detect what a serial key is for automatically). Copy-pasted the key from Steam's "View game CD Key" option. And Impulse added it to my "My Games" list as "Available".

I got RFG from Steam during the holiday sale as a daily deal, so maybe high demand meant they were dipping into a different source of keys than usual?

Just running around destroying buildings with the mines makes the game worth it.

I had so much fun!

And that hammer is awesome.

[quote name='theclaw']I believe 360 and PC gamerpoints are separate. Giving such games a potential of 2000/2000, if not higher for those with DLC achievements.[/QUOTE]

its not separate, Batman AA and Fallout 3 for pc show up on my xbox 360 achievement points

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']
This is a very good price, but D2D pissed me off so much last year during their anniversary sale where I went back and forth for their support for weeks, TRYING to buy games from them with no luck. I just don't want to give them any money any more.[/QUOTE]

lol, I just tried to checkout and they want me to go through customer service or something, screw them I'll just wait for the inevitable steam sale so I'm not kicking myself later.

Are we all sure this can unlock gfwl achievements.. Does that feature work on windows XP?

I'd like to buy it, but I don't know how many of these services I want to get attached to. I guess $5 is a worthy test drive, but NO MORE!

[quote name='volt1up']lol, I just tried to checkout and they want me to go through customer service or something, screw them I'll just wait for the inevitable steam sale so I'm not kicking myself later.[/QUOTE]

I just had that same issue. Screw them, it is a $5 transaction. Not like I stole someones credit card to spend $5.

[quote name='sfree79']I just had that same issue. Screw them, it is a $5 transaction. Not like I stole someones credit card to spend $5.[/QUOTE]

Same here, and I tried to pay through paypal. Oh well. Nuts to this.

[quote name='sfree79']I just had that same issue. Screw them, it is a $5 transaction. Not like I stole someones credit card to spend $5.[/QUOTE]

I went the paypal route, thinking it would be the most hassle free, so much for that.

[quote name='slugboss']Are we all sure this can unlock gfwl achievements.. Does that feature work on windows XP?

I'd like to buy it, but I don't know how many of these services I want to get attached to. I guess $5 is a worthy test drive, but NO MORE![/QUOTE]

Achievements definitely work with my Steam version, but I'm fairly sure with most games you only get 1000 gamerpoints regardless of which version you play.

[quote name='maingon']its not separate, Batman AA and Fallout 3 for pc show up on my xbox 360 achievement points[/QUOTE]

Maingon is correct; back when GFWL first came out, there was a big fuss made about the PC version of Gears of War's gamerscore being completely separate from the 360's version. So, if you owned both and got maximum points in each, yes, you'd end up with 2000 gamerscore total for doing the same things on both platforms.

In all honesty, though, no one should care enough about their gamerscore enough to whine about it either way (not saying that anyone here is). It's just an arbitrary system designed to give you more to earn (and, thus, reason to play) in each title than simply completing it, and, regardless of how high your score is, it impresses no one.

Sorry for the rant, and thanks, OP, for the heads-up! I've been looking for a deal on this after I failed to pick it up during the Christmas Steam sale. Here's hoping it runs great on my machine!

I played the game on 360 and enjoyed it. I'm going to pick this up for PC. I'd rather get it on Steam, but can't pass up $5.

I've played a couple GFWL games and had zero problems with them. That's how I got 2 set of achievements for Arkham Asylum. :)

[quote name='Sylvanus']I've tried with 3 different browsers to make a purchase. It's not happening. What the heck!?[/QUOTE]

Same here. Suggestions, anyone?

[quote name='mcthatch']Achievements definitely work with my Steam version, but I'm fairly sure with most games you only get 1000 gamerpoints regardless of which version you play.[/QUOTE]

Actually, for most games, the Xbox 360 and GFWL versions get their own 1,000 gamerscore. The only game I can think of that this isn't true is Shadowrun. MS claims the reason for that with Shadowrun is the 2 versions can play against each other.

I have both versions on my games played list for the following games that I can think of.
Gears of War
Fallout 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Kane & Lynch
Viva Pinata

bread's done
Back