Workway Staffing: Scam or not?

fatherofcaitlyn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
So, I got a job offer for a QA analyst position through Workway Staffing.

Has anybody heard of them?

Info is mixed as to whether they are legit or not.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It's a temp agency that serves mostly the financial industry.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, guy.

They're offering me a 4 month position for 1.8 times my current pay.

Their contact number is a nonpublished cell phone number and the name they're using matches up with a minor war celebrity.

A call to their cell phone from a payphone after work wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, can't hurt to find out more.

If it is legit, have to decide if the extra pay is worth the lack of job security with a family to support of course. So you'd have to grill them about the chances of it turning into a permanent position etc.

A lot of companies just stick with temps as they can pay them less, not offer benefits etc.

I did some crude math.

If I leave and get laid off after 4 months, I'm about $3K ahead after 12 months due to an easy 8 months of unemployment.

If I were to remove my kids from day care in June (roughly 4 months from now) for three months, I'd be $5-6K ahead while sucking on the government's teet that I was feeding for four consecutive years.

After 12 months, I would still have 4 months of unemployment left and should have picked up my CCNA.

I think my employer allows me to take a leave of absence for up to six months without losing my pay, benefits or seniority. Six months from now is early August. It is just before their busy season.

That would be a laugh. Leave the company for 4 months. Make an extra $9K in four months. Return to the company with no negative effects just in time for their late summer overtime.

What more do you want FoC? They advertise heavily on Monster.com. They have a strong web presence on many recruiting sites. If they aren't asking you for money to get you this job then I don't see anything wrong here. I assume they have your number if you have theirs and are able to verify it using your internet skillz. The only "scam" I can even find out about them is one single instance on ripoff report about a jackass who quit his job before he had anything in writing. If you're willing to take a risk and you're so damn sure you're going to either be able to get unemployment or that you'll come out ahead, then why are you asking the rest of us if the company is legit or not? You've obviously done enough research to know how to game the system. Your only purpose now seems to be to have a bunch of people on a message board validate your decision for you. If this is a contract position, have you figured out all of the taxes that are going to be involved if you get sent a 1099 at the end of the year?

[quote name='mtxbass1']What more do you want FoC?[/QUOTE]
Relax.
I just wanted a second set of eyes to peek at this.
You helped me and I appreciate it.

I can confirm its just a temp agency. Employers pay them to find people to work for them temporarily.

I started my current job as a temp through Workway. Great thing is that they pay weekly. Only real bad thing is the insurance is pretty crappy iirc.

Hi there. As owner of Workway Staffing, thought I would weigh in on fatherofcaitlyn's post. Yes, we are a national staffing agency that serves the financial industry. We also place positions from clerical and administrative to IT, nuclear engineers and everything in between. In business since 2005, we currently average around 1,000 temporary employees on assignment at any given time. We post a weekly blog on our website which shares up to date office activity as well as what types of positions are in demand.

Regarding mtxbass1's question about 1099s, all of our contractors are employees of Workway and are therefore W2 employees and receive a W4, not 1099. As you acknowledged, we pay weekly.

Regarding Bezerker's comment about insurance, I apologize that you find it disappointing. We strive to provide meaningful benefits to our employees while offering competive salaries.

On Dmaul1114's suggestion to ask about permanent employment, many of our positions do become full-time. You are correct that, while there are never guarantees, it is a good idea to ask if the position is temp-to-hire and also to make it clear that you are looking for a permanent job if that is the case.

Fatherofcaitlyn, I wish you well in whatever you choose. Feel free to ask your recruiter about any concerns that arise. He/she is your advocate and it is only to Workway's advantage for you to be satisfied and gainfully employed!

Cheers to all and happy gaming!

They're onto you, FoC. Probably tracking you through the fillings in your teeth. Or turned all the recording devices in cell phones near you on. Or hacked all your internets.

Nice knowing you.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']If I were to remove my kids from day care in June (roughly 4 months from now) for three months, I'd be $5-6K ahead while sucking on the government's teet that I was feeding for four consecutive years.

After 12 months, I would still have 4 months of unemployment left and should have picked up my CCNA. [/QUOTE]

oh come on man... re: planning unemployment benefits, i'm 100% okay with you leeching off the government in a situation where you have the opportunity -- i mean, if they let you, then why shouldn't you? -- but don't try to justify it by acting like you earned it, that's just wrong.

do it, for sure leech because it's available, just don't think it's earned.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Relax.
I just wanted a second set of eyes to peek at this.
You helped me and I appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

*saves a screenshot of this post*

;)

Yep. Either she was googling for stuff like that to find stuff to respond to for PR purposes.

Or someone did what Ramstoria did and found the company owner's name and made a fake account to mess with FoC.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. Either she was googling for stuff like that to find stuff to respond to for PR purposes.

Or someone did what Ramstoria did and found the company owner's name and made a fake account to mess with FoC.[/QUOTE]

Who would want to mess with me? I'm the nicest, most well-adjusted person here.

Yeah, I was looking over her several profiles. I would have gone with Matt Johnston if I was pulling a joke.

bread's done
Back