Army of Two: The 40th Day (360/PS3) $39.99 - Amazon DotD

i recently played this game for the first time and went straight to multiplayer. Is it me or the controls of this game very bad. My character would not do what I wanted him to do and the melee lag was jarring.

Huh, I thought the reviews I saw said it was better than the first.

Deja vu all over again: this was Amazon's DotD in late January.

Oh, well, I considered this today for purchase with BFBC2 at TRU but passed. The most interesting element to me was the setting (Shanghai) but apparently they didn't model it very accurately and it doesn't play much of a role in the game:

Army of Two: The 40th Day's Shanghai not up to snuff

Whaaaat? Very disappointing.

This was the same DOTD around a month ago? At least make it $29 this time around..

Oh well I'll enjoy yesterday's DOTD. Thanks though OP!

i dont know why everyone keeps bashing this game... im currently on a second co-op playthrough with a buddy of mine and were still having a blast. its leaps and bounds above the first one in my opinion...this game will drop in price rapidly but i still think its worth $40.

[quote name='monkeydoodle']Really? That's a shame, I liked the first. :cry:

I'll wait for it to drop to $20 then; thanks for the post OP![/QUOTE]

Same here. I held out for $14.99 on the first (still haven't played it, though my nephews had a good time with it), so $19.99 should be no problem. ;)

I bought it for 50 bucks used. My brother and i went through coop in just two play sessions a couple hours each. Fun game but rather pointless. The story is blah the ending is blah. I wish i would have waited until it hit 20 bucks. Glad gamestop gave me 38.50 trade in for it.

My brother and I bought for $30 each when it came out. Very fun coop game but too short. For those on the fence I would wait until it drops more.

[quote name='mortalgroove']Would this game be ANY fun for single player?[/QUOTE]
I would not have bought it for single player. You prepare beforehand how you want to attack a group of enemies; maybe one of you draws their fire while the other one flanks. There are several hostage situations and boss fights where teamwork is essential. It is so much more fun with a friend than with an ai partner. My brother and I were laughing and cursing the entire time :)

[quote name='lilman']I would not have bought it for single player. You prepare beforehand how you want to attack a group of enemies; maybe one of you draws their fire while the other one flanks. There are several hostage situations and boss fights where teamwork is essential. It is so much more fun with a friend than with an ai partner. My brother and I were laughing and cursing the entire time :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks lilman. I figured as much, but it was good to hear your input.

Sadly I'm waiting for this to drop to $20 before I even try and I'm hoping by that time a friend of mine will pick it up as well.

[quote name='musicjunkie']Sadly I'm waiting for this to drop to $20 before I even try and I'm hoping by that time a friend of mine will pick it up as well.[/QUOTE]

Same here, demo wasn't bad but I have too many other games to play right now.

[quote name='backseatdog']i recently played this game for the first time and went straight to multiplayer. Is it me or the controls of this game very bad. My character would not do what I wanted him to do and the melee lag was jarring.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i thought they took some getting used to. I think were just spoiled by how well gears of war controls with these cover based games. I feel like the aiming was too fast at times, & thats coming from someone who never adjusts the cod controls & those are insanely fast. Game was pretty fun for what it was though, a co-op shooter. But for those on the fence from buying it right now, most EA games drop to $19.99 within there first yr.

[quote name='mortalgroove']Would this game be ANY fun for single player?[/QUOTE]

I've been playing it solo and it works very well. The AI needs a bit of nursing now and again but it's more than capable of working with you. It functions as a very nice third person shooter by itself. I will tell you that the AI has saved me twice as much as I've saved him, and regularly gets about 75% as many kills as me, so it's respectable.

Pretty big fan of this one, but more than $30 might be a bit much. The online MP is tepid. Lag is annoying. The gunfire has noise and flash, but no oomph. Your guns don't feel as violent and powerful as they should in a game like this.

The cheese that made the original so good is served up pretty well here, with more fist-bump and anti-fist-bump actions and even the ability to play rock paper scissors with your partner complete with hilariously over the top gloating animations for the winner.

Shanghai is woefully underused, but the setting is crazily colorful. The game isn't technically beautiful but there are a lot of nice eye-candy bits.

Weapon modification is there for even more cheese. Pimping your gun doesn't look nearly as cool but there's tons of options in the game's awful menu to try to eke out miniscule stat-ups from your guns. Not really worth it because of the awful menu, but the variety is nice.

Speaking of the awful menu, there are many ways that the game doesn't feel polished (Unskippable cutscenes. Silly menus. No way for both players to shop at the same time.). The upcoming DLC that is clearly cut levels from the SP to make release is such an example. Still, it isn't a bugfest. It delivers the gameplay pretty dang well.

All in all, a solid third person shooter that is good by itself but great with a friend. Get it cheap and enjoy it. Skip the MP.

bread's done
Back