Problem with Game Room.

septiclemon

CAGiversary!
Ok, I downloaded Game Room today, and well... it's still loading, and has been loading for almost 15 minutes now. The Progression bar gets to about 25% in and stops and doesn't budge. I've tried reinstalling it, but I get the same problem, has anyone else got this problem?

Microsoft says they are working on it. Apparently there is a work around. Apparently if you disconnect your 360 from the internet (via the wifi adapter or ethernet cable) when it gets stuck on the loading screen it will load. Then you can plug the cable back in and sign into LIVE.

While you shouldn't have to do that to get into games it's a workaround for now.

Yeah, I tried the wrokaround too, but you can't buy games doing it though, you can mess about with the themes and play 2 level game demos, but that's it.

But you can reconnect. Follow these steps:

1. Sign in
2. Load Game Room and press start.
3. When Loading hangs, press Guide, press X to sign out.
4. Remove network cable/usb for Wifi.
5. Sign in with profile.
6. Press Start and press B when it says you must be signed in XBL to use all features.
7. Room loaded, it asks you if you want to sign into XBL to get most of features (Note this is the second time its asked you). Attach Wifi/Network cable and wait till you get the green light (On Wifi).
8. Connect to Live.
9. Play.

And apparently According to Major Nelson on twitter it has been resolved. I would suggest redownloading it and then trying.

An Update, things appear to be working now, I bought Yars Revenge, a spent a few of the bonus token on other arcade machines. So far I like it, but where's the 1000 games? All I see is about 30 or so games.

It’s working for me. After a cursory glance at the achievements it looks like you’ll have to let MS rape your wallet to get a full 1000/1000.

True, I noticed that, then again there's the Medal system for each game, which is a Score, the time you spent, and a Max time, all with Bronze, Silver and Gold medals. I got an achivement for getting my first medal though, but I wish there's a better way to show off your medals.

So anyone know if your existing arcade purchases of games that are available for game room - do your games work in game room or do you have to buy them again? If so that sucks. What about things like Namco Museum that has arcade games that are tied to a disc? Some of those games are in Gameroom, right? Do they work in Game Room?

[quote name='crunchewy']So anyone know if your existing arcade purchases of games that are available for game room - do your games work in game room or do you have to buy them again? If so that sucks. What about things like Namco Museum that has arcade games that are tied to a disc? Some of those games are in Gameroom, right? Do they work in Game Room?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

As far as I know, Namco isn't doing anything for GameRoom, yet, maybe in the future, but it'll be more likly to be obscure arcade titles that weren't seen in the US, or games made more for the Japanese crowd they they receive GameRoom.

IMO, it's a little disapointing, it's nice to see the Challenge system and stuff like that. But like the people on Kotaku are saying, it's pretty much retro games with too much new school UI. Plus the whole "Pay to play" credit thing is ridiculous since you have to download a small file to the 360 in order to play the game. Downloading games are a bit silly too, when I downloaded Yar's Revenge it said the file was about 70MB big, no offence, but I thought 2600 game were only a few kilobytes in size, and even if there's DRM slapped onto that, it shouldn't 69MB big!

I thought the way this works was that you stream the arcade game to your 360, but obviously not, the two files you download at the beginning have all the games on it, and when you purchase a game, you're downloading a 70MB key to play it forever.

However.... I'll give this some time before I say I hate it, there needs to be more games on it, and I need to wait for more of my friends on my friends list to download and play this game so that we can send challenges to each other. This might be something that worth letting it grow before giving it a score or a reccomendation.

[quote name='wakawakawa']You really have to download 70mb to play Yars Revenge??? Jeez...[/QUOTE]
Well, 70MB for the activation key... :(

I got excited when I pressed up on the stick and it went to a new level of rooms because I thought there was more to it. I was sadly mistaken.

You download the games in packs. The reason they're so big is because every game from the pack is contained in them. Why is this a good thing?

Because it enables you to watch the leaderboard replays for the game, without even owning the game, and also makes trialing them instant. This really works for the "old games had instantaneous startup!" feel, rather than having to wait for streams, or seperate downloads.

I like the UI, personally. Hearing a bunch of machines and retro music in the background really FEELS like an old arcade. It's the closest thing I've seen to the old Namco Museum disk on PS1, and I missed how much work they put into those things. So much classier than arcade collections that are just text menus.

I think this is a solid effort, but poor execution. I know part of the problem is everyone wants a piece of the pie and $3 seems to satisfy that. $1 for MS, $1 for Krome, $1 for IP owner.

I might buy 5 games total during the life of this (unless that sweet Dreamcast stuff lands) at the current model. The prices are just too steep to support during a recession, especially when 400 points can land you GWRE2 in a few weeks.

[quote name='septiclemon']An Update, things appear to be working now, I bought Yars Revenge, a spent a few of the bonus token on other arcade machines. So far I like it, but where's the 1000 games? All I see is about 30 or so games.[/QUOTE]

I bought Yar's Revenge too. Still an awesome game after all these years.

Has anyone ever clarified if your friends can come into your game room and play your purchased games for free, or do they have to pay too? Or can you not even visit other peoples game rooms?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I bought Yar's Revenge too. Still an awesome game after all these years.[/QUOTE]
Heh, well I only had it on the Atari Collection on the PC, but I prefer playing it with a real controller rather than a keyboard. Then again I have the Hori Arcade stick for the 360, I should play Yar's with that. Plus I wonder if anyone's modded an Atari 2600 stick to work on the 360.

I've been playing a bit of Scrambler too. And I kinda like it, it's just like a side scrooling version of Xevious. Isn't there an XBLA version of Scrambler too? I might just hop back on the 360 with my Hori Stick and find out

[quote name='DeskLaser']Has anyone ever clarified if your friends can come into your game room and play your purchased games for free, or do they have to pay too? Or can you not even visit other peoples game rooms?[/QUOTE]
Yes you can, but only through the Friends list in the Game Room Menu, not from the Guide Menu, which kinda sucks, plus they need to be online in order to go to their Arcade, you can just hop into their arcade when you want.

[quote name='septiclemon']Heh, well I only had it on the Atari Collection on the PC, but I prefer playing it with a real controller rather than a keyboard. Then again I have the Hori Arcade stick for the 360, I should play Yar's with that. Plus I wonder if anyone's modded an Atari 2600 stick to work on the 360.

I've been playing a bit of Scrambler too. And I kinda like it, it's just like a side scrooling version of Xevious. Isn't there an XBLA version of Scrambler too? I might just hop back on the 360 with my Hori Stick and find out[/QUOTE]

Absolutely there is, and I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE to play it with. :) I always liked Scramble (no "r"). I wish I could play it in Game Room. Oh well. Actually I haven't tried Game Room yet. If it's not so great then I won't worry about it, and won't use Game Room. Of course if they now only release arcade games like this in Game Room, then I guess I'm stuck with it.

[quote name='septiclemon']Heh, well I only had it on the Atari Collection on the PC, but I prefer playing it with a real controller rather than a keyboard. Then again I have the Hori Arcade stick for the 360, I should play Yar's with that. Plus I wonder if anyone's modded an Atari 2600 stick to work on the 360.

[/QUOTE]

Man, I used to have it on the Atari 2600. My sister and I would play that all the time. We both used to play Combat too. Loved the tank battles.

I have the Atari Collection for PC but I haven't opened it yet. Guess I should though.

There are so many better Intellivision games. Most of those were release games. And, there's Intellivision Lives, which you can get much cheaper.

[quote name='crunchewy']Absolutely there is, and I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE to play it with. :) I always liked Scramble (no "r"). I wish I could play it in Game Room. Oh well. Actually I haven't tried Game Room yet. If it's not so great then I won't worry about it, and won't use Game Room. Of course if they now only release arcade games like this in Game Room, then I guess I'm stuck with it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I tried the XBLA Scramble (with no r, lol) demo, and to be honest there's only updated graphics, which I don't need. So I got the GameRoom version for 240 points rather than 400 points for the XBLA version. but yeah, having a blast the more I try out the other arcade games.

Been trying out some of the Intellivision games, and I really don't like them...

As someone who was born after all (more than likely) of these games, I'm curious if anyone could suggest some games they think would be best on this first release.

[quote name='4thHorseman']As someone who was born after all (more than likely) of these games, I'm curious if anyone could suggest some games they think would be best on this first release.[/QUOTE]

Battlantis, Shao-Lin Road, Finalizer. They're among the most developed of this initial line of games, and feel more like simple SNES / Sega Genesis games, rather than Pre-Nintendo stuff.

Remember all, you have a potential 300 minutes of game demos here to try out. And you can even watch replays if don't fully "get" a game, after trying it out, or would prefer to see more than you were able to reach in those 10 min. In reality, it's a pretty well rounded package,.

Ok, I found a few more issues. Setting up Challeges and summiting scores doesn't always work, plus there's a weird glitch where it'll randomly finish the challenge eventhough there's another 6 days and 23 hours to go! Microsoft needs to sort this out...

Plus I noticed a friend of mine is playing GameRoom on the PC, where can you download the PC version from?

[quote name='4thHorseman']As someone who was born after all (more than likely) of these games, I'm curious if anyone could suggest some games they think would be best on this first release.[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with most of them (wasn't born until 89), but I was playing the demo a bit for Super Cobra,and while it's hard for me to place points on anything at the moment, I was having a good bit of fun with that one. Something about retro style helicopter games, I seem to love them all for whatever reason.

I remember spending many an hour at arcades both in malls and at the Jersey shore every summer, but I can honestly say, so far there isn't one game I'm interested in buying. Cool arcade sound effects though. ;)

I was pretty excited for this, and I've been loving the chance to play Crystal Castles again, but I'm a bit dissappointed. I bought Combat, figuring that my friends and I could play it online, even if they had to buy it too. Sadly, it seems to be local multiplayer only. You can't even play against a computer opponent. Oh well, guess I'll just have to get some friends over to play... Does anyone know if I'm wrong about it, and I just couldn't get online multiplayer working right?

Here's my problem with Game Room: It SUCKS like we all thought it would.

#1 - There's almost nothing good; and the good stuff you can actually play legitimately for free online(Adventure, I'm looking at you)

#2 - One time demos? Give me a break. If I disconnect my XBL while playing, I'm booted off the demo, and oh look, I can't play the demo anymore. They should either give you an allocated amount of time per game that is kept track of server side or just give you unlimited demos.

#3 - Nothing in terms of new features. There should be some kind of online component to some of these games. If they put games like TMNT, Simpsons Arcade and X-Men on here WITHOUT online, there's no damn point.

#4 - The controls are TERRIBLE. Half the time you don't know what you're doing.

I'm very disappointed by this. I can't tell what half of the games are. The nickel and diming of this is putting me off as well. If they made this a monthly subscription service, I'd gladly give them lots of dollars.

The worst thing is that it gives you 5 points for just using it once, so you can never get rid of it from your achievement list even if you never start it up ever again.

I can't say that I like it so far. As far as the load issue, I uninstalled and then reinstalled and it works fine. I did have a 2600, and I have to say that in my mind these games were better than they actually were. So if I were MSFT, I'd try to get some newer games in there. How cool would it be to have an arcade Daytona racing with 20+ people on line.

[quote name='lordwow']Astrosmash is probably the best of the Intellivision bunch.[/QUOTE]
I concur.

Back in 1995ish, my friend Jimmy and I dug out his older siblings old (even in 1995) Intellivision and hooked it up. He had like 40 games but most of them were pretty blah. The one shining exception that I recall was Astrosmash. On one of my tries on Astrosmash I fell into some crazy groove and played one credit for something approaching 45 minutes. It got to a point where I was bored with the game, it's like it had stopped getting more difficult.

I tried the Astrosmash demo and didn't fall into any sort of gaming trance. Ah well, I might buy the full version and see what happens.

Growing up during the golden age of arcades (yes I remember when space invaders was brand new) I've been looking forward for this... and do plan on picking up several from the list. When I break down and finally buy points that is.

Always loved Tempest... so that's a definate...

Crystal Castles yup...

prolly go for Scramble and Super Cobra...

mostly tho I plan on sticking with the Arcade games... not much interested in the 2600/intellivision stuff... Maybe a few of them but a very select few... Having owned a 2600 I was always disappointed at how unlike the actual arcade games the arcade ports were for the system.

Hopefully it does well enough for them to keep adding games and spread them out over the years... Would LOVE to see Tron and Gorf....

These games are too retro for me. I was born in the late 80s so I only got to play arcade games from the 90s and early 2000s. Those were some good times. All the malls around here had an arcade, now only 1 of them remains. The one that remains has some cool games like Ninja Gaiden, King of Fighters XI and a ton of Capcom fighting games. Until some 90s games show up, I'm not using Game Room again.

I'm really not liking how this is being played off. Seeing Game Packs being listed as free add-ons and then finding out that you have to PAY for them in order to keep them or play them anywhere is a load of crap.

For starters, no where in the packs' descriptions do they indicate that what you're downloading will require you to pay for to play. Not only that, but some of the games are just downright not that great. Having to download an entire pack just to play maybe one or two games is a nightmare for those with limited hard drive space.

But maybe it's just me being delusional. Part of me continues to hope that MS will actually some day throw Gold users a bone and make a service 100% free considering we're paying to use the fucking premium service.

Biggest problem with the Game Room right now is that these aren't arcade games. I don't want to play the awful ports that were shoddily made for the 2600 and Intellivision. Where's The Smurfs?

I tried about 10 demos and couldn't last the 10 minutes they were giving me before having to exit out of it. Crystal Castles almost made me vomit at its sheer ugliness and lack of trackball controls.

On the bright side: you can get about 80 gamerscore in less than 10 minutes, without paying a quarter to MS. (mess with the My Arcade section)

personally, being an arcade rat from age 5 ( 1985 ) and adopting my first major foray into video games with nintendo, atari, and the local arcade, i find it actually pretty cool. yes many of the release games suck, yes it sucks you have to buy them for 240 a pop, and leveling up to get more stuff is pretty insanely time consuming unless you buy every game and drop bronze medals just to burn through points to level... but seeing my multiplex of old classics with teh sights and sounds of the classic arcade scene made me nostalgic and excited to play the raw, basic, finger twitching goodness of old school retro titles.

i bought about a dozen games of varying types and set up my arcade, more of just a collecting standpoint at this point to look in on my area and see many of the roots for which i started gaming. if nothing else, its fun to go here the sights and sounds, play some centipede, asteroids, combat, and others, and just get away from the better graphics, bigger guns, more complex games of today for some simple retro goodness....

now.... get us some post 1990 stuff and bigger titles - some gauntlet, turtles, altered beast, SNK stuff, X-men, Smash TV.... then you will be handed my money hand over fist to pimp my virtual arcade and embrace the dream of a fledgling gamer from the 80's to today - owning my own arcade.

I'm wondering when activision is going to hop onto this thing. I'd be really disappointed if activision didn't want to port their library of 2600 games to the game room.

That being said I do like the idea of the game room. Bring back a bunch of really obscure old school games that normally wouldn't get re-released in one package. I understand why some people may not like the selection of games since they're not seeing titles they remember, but I'm happy to finally play games like jungler and scramble.

Haha some of these bring me back and some I'm completely new to them. I'm enjoying the demos of most given their game that hasn't aged well approach.

bread's done
Back