Direct TV vs. Comcast?

pacifickarma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
I'm looking for a little input from the peanut gallery here. I've been a Comcast cable subscriber for a few years and I have the DVR with HD package. I'm generally pleased with my service, but the cost seems a bit high. In a couple of months, my wife and I will be moving into a new house and I've got the opportunity to stick with Comcast or make the switch to Direct TV. I guess I'm asking for people's experiences with Direct TV, especially those who have used both services. I'm interested in getting a DVR and HD package with either service. Any opinions on which company delivers a superior package?

If you're happy with Comcast, you can try calling them and complaining about the price and say your thinking of switching to DirecTV. I've had good luck getting promo's extended etc. by doing that over the years.

DirecTV is great though. I just haven't been able to have dishes at my last two places. I loved it when I had it before that--other than occasionally going out for a minute or two in severe rain storms etc.

Other downside for me is the places I've lived cable internet was the only real option (DSL has always sucked when I tried in, no Fios etc. available) and it's hard to get deals on that if you don't have cable TV.

we switched from direct tv to comcast a couple of years ago and dont regret it. for the most part our signal was good, but it did cut out from time to time on stormy days which was VERY annoying. the main reason was direct tv had us in a two year contract, when we wanted to upgrade our box we couldnt without paying full price for the box or paying for part and extending our contract. so we switched to comcast (paid a penalty to leave direct tv early) got a special for switching from direct tv and we have no contract, just pay the same price every month.

Picture quality is better on Directv, and their boxes are better. More HD channels. Sunday Ticket. Cheaper.

On the other hand, Comcast doesn't lock you into 2 year contracts, so that's a huge plus in my book. Also, there's more of a delay flipping between channels on Directv, and their on demand is crap and runs over your Internet.

All in all, I'd say just go with Comcast, but it's a close call.

After being a subscriber of each for a while I have to say that Direct TV has the more superior service. Comcast's customer service tends to suck, too.

I would do what some have suggested go with DirecTV cause they have more HD Channels and more channels in their packages than Comcast. The only thing I liked more about Comcast was their On Demand service. I just got DirecTV about 8 months ago and I love it.

I made the switch to DirecTV. This is my thoughts... the HD picture is way better than anything I saw on Time Warner or Comcast. My dish signal has barely gone out over the past 2 years (it is only the HD signal that goes out, the standard has always worked). It only has when we had really strong winds. The rain never pushes the signal. If you are doing to save money, you wont be saving too much as your promotion only last 1 year. They do however call to offer discounted services/new promotions. My bill is still high but at least I know I have more channels and a better HD selection/quality of picture. I do not regret making the switch. DirecTV is way better than the competition IMO.

We had direct TV for about 3 years. Just switched to Comcast last week. See my blog for one problem. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=13611
Never had HD with direct TV so I can't compare the two. Will say comcast offered me a better deal and more channels in the package. I perfer the on demand and music choices with comcast as well. Direct TV also switched off our service two days early.

I switched from Comcast to DirecTV about 5 months ago. No amount of funny sarcasm or wit will do justice to just how badly Comcast sucks, so I'll just say... I made a good choice

Used to have comcast. Switched to DirecTV when I moved. Comparing the prices and what you get out the the packages, DirecTV was better so I went with it. I am extremely happy with it. I have the HD/DVR package. My mom still has Comcast with HD/DVR and comparing them I think DirecTV is much better.

Only down side is that I can't get reliable fast internet through DirecTV.

I never had comcast, but I have DirecTV now. Is comcast really more expensive? I just get the basic package (no hd) and have two receivers and I pay $75 a month.

As someone else said, cable internet is virtually superior to any other form of internet so given the choice I'd go cable (had cable before). You usually don't get a deal on cable internet unless you get cable tv.

Don't know if this is hijacking of the thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on Dish Network? I'm close to done with DirecTV and I figure I can go with Dish Network, upgrade to HD and still pay at least $10 less (after of course the year promotional prices). I thought I'd use Sunday Ticket, but I couldn't justify paying $300 a year just to watch my team play.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']I never had comcast, but I have DirecTV now. Is comcast really more expensive? I just get the basic package (no hd) and have two receivers and I pay $75 a month.

As someone else said, cable internet is virtually superior to any other form of internet so given the choice I'd go cable (had cable before). You usually don't get a deal on cable internet unless you get cable tv.

Don't know if this is hijacking of the thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on Dish Network? I'm close to done with DirecTV and I figure I can go with Dish Network, upgrade to HD and still pay at least $10 less (after of course the year promotional prices). I thought I'd use Sunday Ticket, but I couldn't justify paying $300 a year just to watch my team play.[/QUOTE]
For the package I wanted (and what it sounds like the OP wants) which is HD and DVR, I got more and it was cheaper to go DirecTV. Even with me paying separately for Comcast internet, it's still cheaper.

As for Dish Network vs. DirecTV, when I compared, IIRC other than price part of the decision was made because of the channel lineup and recommendations from friends. So that may be more of a personal decision if it comes down with that.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is AT&T Uverse. It is not available in my area, and I can't compare it with DirecTV, but if it was available I think I would have gone with that for both TV and Internet.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']
Only down side is that I can't get reliable fast internet through DirecTV.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's been an issue for me when I was in places where I could have satellite.

DSL always sucked every time I tried it. Even if it works well the max speeds are far below the 15mbps I can get with cable. But it's damn hard to get a good deal on cable internet for more than 6 months if you don't have cable TV as well in a bundle deal.

If you have FiOS available, that solves the problem, but that's still not in all that many places.

I've had all of them:

Directv: Best for sports and overall quality of content. No one else has NFL Sunday ticket. They have any channel you could think of and their customer service is best of all of them and the price is best if you have multiple HD/DVR boxes.

Verizon FIOS: If you don't need sports content than FIOS is the way to go if you can get it. They are new and are missing some channels you may or may not want, and if bundled with internet/phone you cannot go wrong because it is the best internet most of us can get. It does get pricey if you have multiple TV's and want a separate HD/DVR for each of them. I think its $14.99 each box, unlike DTV they only charge $14.99 and that includes everyone you have. Some people get pissed that they have to pay for the box but this is the reason why.

Comcast: Worst overall in my opinion but most people can only get this. They have everything you need except NFL football, and the service is good. I think they are way behind on the quality of their equipment and menus/dvr service but its there. Price is good if bundled but they have the same problem of charging for each box like verizon, but bundled service will save you money. The internet is not as good as Verizon.

Overall Directv is best, no doubt. If you can get it I would not choose any other. You can get Verizon internet DSL or FIOS and they only charge and extra $5 if you do not have a phone line or TV with them so it is not a problem. Verizon FIOS is right there but not having NFL is a deal breaker for me, but they are sort of new and I think they are getting there. Comcast is a last resort, only get it if you have to.

Don't be wavered by DTV going out in bad weather or it being more expensive, cause it barley goes out and it can be cheaper overall if you have multiple tvs you want HD/dvr service on.

Good luck

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']I never had comcast, but I have DirecTV now. Is comcast really more expensive? I just get the basic package (no hd) and have two receivers and I pay $75 a month.

Don't know if this is hijacking of the thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on Dish Network? I'm close to done with DirecTV and I figure I can go with Dish Network, upgrade to HD and still pay at least $10 less (after of course the year promotional prices). I thought I'd use Sunday Ticket, but I couldn't justify paying $300 a year just to watch my team play.[/QUOTE]

You are getting hosed. I have 2 HD DVR recievers and a DVR in the bedroom. basic plus HD and dvr w/ 3 recievers I pay $85 plus tax and fees. You should give them a call.

To me the thing I hate about DirecTV is that Fox Soccer Channel is stuffed on the sports package that is $12.95 or whatever. Then if you want Fox Soccer Plus you have to pay an extra $15. Not to mention NFL RedZone is only available through Sunday Ticket on DirecTV.

I agree with poster above me. You need to call them to get a better package. We have 4 receivers (HD DVR, 2 HD, 1 regular) with Choice Xtra + 1 premium (we are outside 1st year promotion) with DVR and HD service... We pay around $90.

[quote name='ScottBigGame']You are getting hosed. I have 2 HD DVR recievers and a DVR in the bedroom. basic plus HD and dvr w/ 3 recievers I pay $85 plus tax and fees. You should give them a call.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have one TV with HD-DVR, HBO, and 15mbps internet and I pay $67.xx which includes the tax and fees.

Granted that was a new account promo with 1 year contract. Before that where I lived before I was paying about $87 for a somewhat lesser package (had Starz and HBO, but no DVR just regular HD box).

Again, deals can be had if you call and haggle, threaten to leave etc.

Happy Directv customer for the past 5 years. Excellent customer service whenever I call them about a problem (very few) but I wish their prices where a bit lower. Prior to them I had Comcast cable + internet and I dunno how's the quality of their service nowadays but back then It was horrible....channel lineup sucked and their internet speeds were below advertised (was getting 4MB/s when they were advertising 8MB/s in the area I lived in). HD on Directv is fantastic and if you're a sports fan they got you covered.

Well in terms of reliability, your TV signal won't go out at all and the internet is unmatched.

I have Cox and they're pretty good other than raising their prices every MONTH.

I was a DirecTV customer 3 years back, the service suited it's purpose, but signal went out too often. Furthermore, when we moved down to TN and switched to Comcast, DTV caused us some serious problems. We called and got it disconnected properly, they said everything was taken care of, our account was closed.

2 months later our bank account is suddenly hit with a large sum of money taken out, which even caused us to overdraw. We find out it's DTV, we call and they said the service was never disconnected and the money taken out was due to 2 months unpaid service. BULLSHIT. The bank ultimately refunded us, but DTV refused responsibility.

Never again.

That said, I have the same Comcast package as you, and it is indeed too high for us currently. It's running us about $180 a month. But we don't want to lose them. We ARE considering AT&T's new U-verse service, tho.

[quote name='davo1224']Well in terms of reliability, your TV signal won't go out at all and the internet is unmatched.

I have Cox and they're pretty good other than raising their prices every MONTH.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on where you live. When my family had cable it went out every time it rained (as in unwatchable static). We switched to DirecTV and it actually went out less.

Switched from Comcast to DirecTV in August. I will NEVER get Comcast again. I would find another company or no tv at all before I would give Comcast one more cent.

I work in one of DISH Network's call centers and I get customers who switch to DISH from Directv and Comcast all the time. Most notably I hear that DISH is a lot less expensive and our equipment is a lot more technologically advanced. For example, they're the only ones providing TV everywhere with the Sling Adapter. You can literally stream the live programming you're subscribed to and your DVR recordings onto any mobile device wherever high-speed internet is available. That means you don't have to be a couch potato to truly enjoy the programming you're already paying for.:applause:

I'm trying to get my Dad to quit DirectTV because non of us never watch it. I watch American Pickers once a week, and my Dad watches college hoops once a week. We have it connected to a TV downstairs that my mom watches soaps when she's washing clothes or ironing.

When I buy a house, I'm not even gonna bother with cable or satellite. I'm going to try and avoid Comcast and get Qwest for Internet. If I decide to get it down the line, I'll get Dish, sounds like a much better deal.

All I ever watch are the broadcast channels and PBS anyway. If I want to watch something like American Pickers or Walking Dead, I'll just stream it or in the case of walking dead, DL from Xbox or PSN.

Also, Direct cut G4, and Comcast cut a shitload of channels, didn't they?

Service: Cable never went out for us except maybe once every couple years. Satellite has consistently gone out during any sort of thunderstorm, although only for 5-15 minutes max. Audio can also cut out oddly for brief seconds with nothing but what you'd hear on a static channel. HD is comparable for either service and is crisp. Cable does lose on standard channels, however, since the image quality is almost always grainy/noisy.

Customer Service: Comcast is garbage. They do nothing to retain you as a customer and only raise your monthly cost without adding any benefits to your plan. DTV has gone out of their way to offer promotions to me and I've been able to keep my choice xtra plan, 1 HD DVR, 1 HD receiver, HD for life, Starz & Showtime all for $64/mo. I did have to sign up for two years, but I'm almost halfway through that now and the savings are in the hundreds.

Channel Lineup: DTV wins hands down. There simply is no comparison to what you get out of Choice Xtra since it's only missing exclusive sports and movie channels out of their entire lineup. Only complaint is no AMC in HD.

That said, I use Comcast for internet simply because it's too reliable for gaming. Absolute zero downtime in the past 2-3 years with only minor disconnects or router related problems. Given the issues during inclement weather, I simply wouldn't trust satellite to do the job. Pro-tip: if you go the route I have, it's cheaper to include basic service cable (for when satellite does go out or you absolutely can't get something local from DTV) in your plan since the discount brings it slightly cheaper than just internet. Might as well since they're already ripping you off in that department!

The reason Direct TV and Dish have more channels is because cable for most areas still offers analog connection, which means you can get cable without having to pay for an extra box like DTV and Dish requires. Only downside to this is that for every analog channel still there, you could have 10 digital or 3 HD channels in its place. Probably in the next 3 years Analog will be phased out on cable and you'll either have to have a digital box or have a TV made after 07 with a digital tuner built in to get cable without any type of digital box.

[quote name='Jodou']
Pro-tip: if you go the route I have, it's cheaper to include basic service cable (for when satellite does go out or you absolutely can't get something local from DTV) in your plan since the discount brings it slightly cheaper than just internet. Might as well since they're already ripping you off in that department![/QUOTE]

I did this several years ago when I switched from Comcast to DTV. I saved about 15 bucks a month by using Comcast internet (w/ basic cable) AND DTV with a similar channel lineup. That was, until the promotion was over. So, where I was saving a bit of month each month, it leveled out, then ended up costing me more at the end because DTV raised their package prices. Combine that with DTV's loss of HD signals in heavy overcast, wind, snow, and t'storm conditions - I eventually gave it up after about three years. Does no good to pay for TV service that's out when I don't want to be outside. Living where I do, having the ability to watch tv when a tornado is barrelling toward you is....well...important. True, the HD signal was always first to go, but loss of the regular signal was not uncommon. We grew tired of the signal loss and switched back to Comcast.

DTV does have a superior HD signal; when it works. I prefered their DVR as well even though it did operate a little sluggishly. However, none of that is worth not being able to watch TV. Very frustrating to have something scheduled on the DVR only to have some sort of weather roll in and leave you with half a show. Also, I didn't care for having to "buy" the DVR and THEN have to give it back to them when I cancelled the service. I thought I "bought" it!!

With Comcast being my ONLY option for hi-speed internet, it just made sense to switch back.

Just would like to add, I never had a problem with DTV service calls. My dish stayed in tip-top shape and always pointed at just the right area. By the same token, I've never had a problem with Comcast service either.

I've had DirectTV for close to a year now (had it for 2 years back in 2003-2005 or so).

I love. Better pic quality than what I got from Comcast, great sports pack for $10 a month that let me see nearly every college football and basketball game for my alma mater etc.

Internet is a non-issue for me in my building as we have 10mbps internet provided in our condo fees in my high rise building.

The signal does go out occasionally, but only in super hard rain or snow and usually only for 2 or 3 minutes during the worst of it.

Directv just OWNS Comcast and DISH Network. It's not even close.

I've been a subscriber to all 3 and will never switch back from Directv.

WTF is the deal with internet providers not servicing routers? When you set one up, they pretend like your modem/computer is gonna implode because you're hooking it up to a router.

Why can't they just build the router into a modem and sell that to you?

[quote name='2DMention']Comcast cut a shitload of channels, didn't [/QUOTE]

Not for me, they keep adding them.

I only have Comcast's cable and that is only due to the fact they are they are currently the only provider that allows me to watch the Flyers games. FIOS carries CSN as well and should hopefully be ready to go in my area in a few months.

I've never really experienced any issues with them, other than price. But, once FIOS comes it's adios Comcast.

[quote name='2DMention']
Also, Direct cut G4, and Comcast cut a shitload of channels, didn't they?[/QUOTE]

DirecTV cut G4 because they thought G4 was a fucking useless channel and I guess enough people didn't watch it for them to care about paying for.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']DirecTV cut G4 because they thought G4 was a fucking useless channel and I guess enough people didn't watch it for them to care about paying for.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this has been my only complaint with DTV since they didn't add AMC HD (and have yet to still) or pass the savings on to the consumer. G4 was worthless except for AotS for me, so I would at least expect some compensation rather than them just eating the profits.

I don't have either. Comcast sucks in Baltimore City and DirecTV's price is too high for my tastes. I have the $49.99 a month Dish Network package and the $50 unlimited landline phone and DSL internet access from Cavalier Telephone. I get 8 megabits per second, 3 more megabits than Comcast puts out in Baltimore City because Comcast here is a relic of the old Baltimore TCI cable network. TCI goes out of business, Comcast comes in, installs their software on TCI's old equipment, and then leaves it alone. I have Dish Network connected to 4 TVs, 2 HDTVs, 1 SDTV, and 1 old Sony analog TV through my DVD/VCR combo, and have had 0 problems with them or Cavalier Telephone and the corded phones in my bedroom and kitchen work during a power outage allowing me to call BGE to report the outage. You should check them out.

Be sure to give the channel listing a good lookover before you make a switch. My mom had been planning to switch from our current comcast bundle to a Direct TV/Qwest DSL bundle awhile ago, becuase they promised her 'we'd get all the same channels for less.' I looked into it... turned out that only sort-of applied if we got a more expensive bundle than the one they signed us up for. Even then, we'd be missing RTV and This... minor channels overall, but two my mom watches a ton of (I'd guess at least half of her viewing comes from these.) So I pointed it out, and she opted not to switch. I actually told her guys around here will call and mention wanting to switch to see if they can get extra discounts... shortly after we upgraded our bundle, so I'm guessing it worked. :lol:

[quote name='benravensfan02']I don't have either. Comcast sucks in Baltimore City and DirecTV's price is too high for my tastes. I have the $49.99 a month Dish Network package and the $50 unlimited landline phone and DSL internet access from Cavalier Telephone. I get 8 megabits per second, 3 more megabits than Comcast puts out in Baltimore City because Comcast here is a relic of the old Baltimore TCI cable network. TCI goes out of business, Comcast comes in, installs their software on TCI's old equipment, and then leaves it alone. I have Dish Network connected to 4 TVs, 2 HDTVs, 1 SDTV, and 1 old Sony analog TV through my DVD/VCR combo, and have had 0 problems with them or Cavalier Telephone and the corded phones in my bedroom and kitchen work during a power outage allowing me to call BGE to report the outage. You should check them out.[/QUOTE]

I tried Cavtel and their DSL was terribad. My internet would intermittently lose connection every 10-15 minutes . It was horrible, I canceled within a week and went to Verizon. (Note : I previously had Earthlink DSL for a few years and never experienced any issues)

The landline was fine, but the internet was unacceptable.

Not to mention, cable has video on demand.. which is basically netflix on steroids. I could never lose that. I forget to DVR a show, hit on demand the next day and I'm in business. Not too mention, dish and direct doesn't include all the extra boxes you need to get TV. Also the fact that they say you get all of these channels but, 24 of them are shopping channels, 30 are music channels, 15 are religious channels and 30 may be westcoast feeds of the same channels you already have. What's so great about that?

DirecTV has a psuedo on-demand feature included now. Only difference is it's web based so you have to wait a few minutes for it do download enough so you can start watching.

I seldom use it nor the on-demand I had from Comcast before though. I mainly just watch sports and sports highlights--wouldn't have TV service if not for sports.

Otherwise I DVR 3 or 4 shows and mainly just watch movies from Netflix and play games.

[quote name='dmaul1114'] I seldom use it nor the on-demand I had from Comcast before though. I mainly just watch sports and sports highlights--wouldn't have TV service if not for sports.[/QUOTE]

This. If not for sports and TONS OF THEM I'd leave cable/dish TV all together. Ah well.

Comcast is the by far the worst of any cable provider. Between their lousy signal to the brain dead service techs. I only have a few options where i live..comcast or satellite. I originally went with comcast about 2 years ago because AT&T was supposedly to be coming to my area soon (still waiting...)and comcast did not require a contract. Well, that lasted about 4 months until i sick of the shit.

The HD DVR box that I received as an old model..no on demand, small hard drive, and looked beat to shit. Complaining about that got me nothing, and I could deal with it. But every time it rains (which in the summer in FLA happens about once a day) The damn cable would cut out. I spent months trying to get them to fix it to no avail. They sent out no lie 7 techs, and none of them could figure out the issue, even though I knew what the issue was and told them several times (bad tap at the pole..he he)

Finally the last straw was when i called them and was basically told that because I like in an area where there isn't a lot of people they could give two shits if my cable works, and they aren't going to send someone out because 1 customer isn't worth their time and effort.

Long Story short..I switched to Dish Network and it works fine..it's cheap and havent had any major issues. Unfortunately I still have comcast internet (my only option) and am counting the days until AT&T Uverse gets here (they have the trucks working around the area now)

Rant over...

[quote name='pimpster4183']Not to mention, cable has video on demand..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but for Charter half that shit is already on Netflix. Charter doesn't offer HBO On Demand in HD, at least not in my area. The other premium channels only have 5-15 HD movies to choose from as well.

I'd only say cable is superior if you have an SD TV.

bread's done
Back