I'll be buying a HDTV soon, and I need some help.

SpacemanHardy

CAG Veteran
Okay, I'll come right out and say it:

I'm a noob.

When it comes to high definition televisions, I am the noobiest noob who's ever noobed.

I'm trying to decide what's the best possible TV for my situation.

I've got my eyes on a 42" 720p LG. This TV will be going in my bedroom. I will use it mainly for playing my PS3 and my 360, and also for watching standard DVDs and Blu Rays.

My recliner will be positioned approximately 6 or 7 feet away from the television. When I am reclined (which will be most of the time), my face will be about 8 feet away.

What I want to know is, will I still enjoy the picture of a TV that size from that distance? Or will I be irritated by choppy resolution?

I know that TV's in the 30" class don't really benefit much from 1080p, but I'm not so familiar with the 40" class and whether or not it makes a big difference. Also, there's a BIG price jump between the 1080p and 720p models, and I'm on a rather limited budget as is.

So long story short: If I buy this TV tomorrow, should I be happy with my purchase?

There's a HDTV buying guide at CNet that has all the basic information like what you're asking. It's here: Click

Just note that it was written a couple of years ago. Stuff like distance and refresh suggestions won't have changed. But, model specific info like price ranges and commonality of specific features may be dated by a couple of years in that article.

720p from 6 to 8 feet away on a screen that size will look very good. There will probably be a small difference noticeable at 1080p, but it will be pretty slight at that screen size. If you can afford a larger television that does 1080p, great, but if you have a fairly normal sized bedroom, any larger a TV might not make that much sense. I am sure you will be happy with the set you have picked out, make sure it has decent reviews and what not before pulling the trigger.

If you are on a budget then 720p will be just fine. I honestly can't tell that much of a difference between 720p and 1080p. You can find decent 1080p's for fairly cheap now a days though.

In your example the only thing that may slightly suffer is bluray playing. Dvd's will be no better in 1080p likely, or so little better you won't notice from the upconversion of the ps3. The games, well, there are very few games that even run 1080p so I doubt that will be a huge issue either.

Also keep in mind the hz of the tv.. a 60 hz tv is going to look good, but the higher you go the smoother the picture gets. I have a 60hz and my friend has a 240hz. Blurays on his tv look like live tv they are so fluid.

To be honest, I would heavily recommend putting the purchase off to buy a higher quality TV. It's hard to describe how much you will benefit from having a better quality TV... Everything revolves around entertainment nowadays, and a TV is at the center of it all. I recommend Samsung series 6 LCDTV's heavily. I have a 40"
in my room and we have a 55" in the living room, the picture quality is simply amazing. The worst feeling is to have buyers remorse on a product that you drop 600-700 on when you could have saved just a little more and been completely satisfied... Just my 2 cents...

I just switched from a 720p 60hz LCD to a 1080p 120hz LCD, and I would recommend getting something a little better than what you're looking at. Best Buy is in the process of clearancing out a lot of old models, and you might be able to get a pretty good deal. I was able to pick up a 42" LG 1080p 120hz for $599.

For bluray, video games(ps3 for me), and TV, the 120hz is nice, and I do notice a difference with the resolution bump, for 1080p games and blurays.

You need to find a 46" 1080p on sale, open box or clearanced. The real question you haven't asked, perhaps because you don't know is plasma or LCD. If LCD then 60hz or 120hz. Now those two options have just as big as impact as 720p/1080p and size. Plasmas have glass screens so there can be quite a bit of glare if you have a lot of sunlight in the room, but they typically have a deeper and richer picture. If LCD then 120hz will significantly reduce motion blur, note this is NOT the same as some sort of TruMotion that can cause input lag on an LCD which you can and should turn off.

A lot of returned open box tvs are because they brought the tv home and it was much smaller than they thought it would look. We just bought an LG 42" 1080p 120hz LCD for $699 at Best Buy. It is last years model that has been clearanced. I think amazon has it too. Here.

I say get your TV from either Amazon or Costco. Costco's come with an HDMI cable and 90 day no questions asked return policy. BUY BOTH a 720P and1080P and see what you like better I say!

Set a BUDGET 1st or you'll overspend- bring a tv home or go to friends houses- as in store tells you NOTHING.

You can still save approx $200-300 for getting the 720 but yes, these are usually the lower end models- however, some are still EXCELLENT TVs. I'm a plasma fan myself- and the 720p Panasonic and Samsung 40" to 50" plasmas that are 720p will SMOKE 90% of the 1080p lower to mid range LCDs at a fraction of the cost with no frame/refresh issues.

Now plenty of people will cry about burn in- but that's what understanding a TV is all about- look into it and you'll see there's plenty to reduce it, remove it, or warranties that cover it.

If you want LCD- (Plenty of good ones too) I bought my 720p panasonic LCD 60hz for the bedroom for casual tv watching- it's fine for the $400 I paid (32" but this was awhile ago- now you can get this approx for $300 on sale) and it was fine for gaming too- (most LCD can't do full resolution at high motion even high hz rate- but most people can't see this unless they do a back to back comparison) I did try 1 other model 1st before settling on this one - it was a different brand- (phillips- bought at costco & returned the 1st- bought the Panny at costo too and it was much better color and motion res wise, despite same specs.) so please don't overspend.

[quote name='Brownjohn']
Best Buy is in the process of clearancing out a lot of old models, and you might be able to get a pretty good deal. I was able to pick up a 42" LG 1080p 120hz for $599.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gordojones88']
We just bought an LG 42" 1080p 120hz LCD for $699 at Best Buy. It is last years model that has been clearanced. Here.
[/QUOTE]

Hey you copycat you.

To be honest, I'm going to be MOSTLY playing games on the TV. Seeing as how most games are native 720, it seems like I should be able to get away with the lower resolution just fine. And I'll admittedly be watching more standard DVDs over Blu Rays, as they're cheaper, more abundant, and just overall more convenient for me. I'll watch the occasional Blu Ray, but only if it's for a movie I REALLY wanna see in high def, like The Matrix or LotR. And for a lot of movies, if I want to watch them in SUPER HIGH DEF, I can always just watch them on my parent's 60" Sony Vega.

The TV I'm looking at is a plasma with a 600hz refresh rate, if that makes any difference. Also, it has the most inputs for the money. I need two HDMI ports, two component ports, and at least one s-video port (for the Dreamcast). This one has all I'm looking for and more.

If your going to play lots of video games then get plasma hands down...with LCD's there is always a lag of some sort...i have a 50" viera and love it....it's super nice

I bought a Panasonic Plasma (42G10) last year, and I couldn't be happier with it.

I play PS3, 360, watch Blu Ray movies and AT&T U-verse TV, and all are excellent on this set. I'm in a small room as well, and sitting close. 42 inches is a good size, but I don't feel that 46 or even 50 inches would be too big in this room.

Amazon has this set for $770 as I write this, and it's worth every penny. The Amazon video-on-demand is very, very good as well, and the online functionality of the set is being expanded via firmware upgrades.

There's a lot of voodoo and FUD around plasmas, but the common myths of image retention, burn-in, and phosphor lag have not been any problem at all for me (and for the majority of plasma owners).

Not to start a LCD vs plasma war, but there's less lag for gaming, better blacks and just a better picture all around on plasmas. Not there's not some very good LCDs out there, but even a 720p plasma (that you say you're looking at) will have an excellent picture due to the display technology.

I'd say get a Panasonic 42G10 or 42S1. The S1 is the same 1080p panel as the G10, but with a few less features (no THX, no internet connectivity), and will save you a few buck over the G10. These are both 2009 models and with the 2010 models out, you can probably find a good deal.

As for 720p vs 1080p, I'd say the extra resolution is worth a few bucks, especially when the 1080p sets have more features as well. I CAN tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on my set especially on things like the PS3 XMB and on the 360 - which scales everything to 1080p! If you never have 1080p, you might not feel like you're missing anything, but trust me, a Blu Ray movie at 1080p is quite a sight to behold.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with a Panasonic plasma (the LG and Samsung plasmas are said to be good, too). I bought from NewEgg and got it in 3 days, but people have had good experiences ordering from Amazon as well, from what I hear.

Whatever you do, let us know! Enjoy your set!

I'm in the market for a HDTV myself, however I'm still trying to decide between LCD, LED-LCD and Plasma. This is one the plasmas I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889187116

Check Newegg and Amazon, they both seem to have a good selection of TV's. Also, check out CNET's review on any tv you end up considering, it'll give you a good idea of what you're buying. Buy your HDMI cables from monoprice, don't get suckered into buying the cables they sell at best buy etc, they overcharge by a LOT.

[quote name='maddog1419']I'm in the market for a HDTV myself, however I'm still trying to decide between LCD, LED-LCD and Plasma. This is one the plasmas I'm looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889187116

Check Newegg and Amazon, they both seem to have a good selection of TV's. Also, check out CNET's review on any tv you end up considering, it'll give you a good idea of what you're buying. Buy your HDMI cables from monoprice, don't get suckered into buying the cables they sell at best buy etc, they overcharge by a LOT.[/QUOTE]

That's the tv I have. It has a great picture. Make sure to break in any plasma in with this. Be aware on the Panasonics that: G > S > U. Here is somebody considering that very set also. Apparently there is a $100 off coupon code.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257107

If you got the money, go LED, they are almost as good as plasma now, but don't have any 'image retention' or burn-in concerns.

1280 x 720p = 921,600 pixels.

1920 x 1080p = 2,073,600 pixels.

So 1080p is more than double the resolution, which most people can see with their naked eye on a 42" HDTV. Both PS3 and 360 output a constant 1080p whether it's native or not doesn't matter. It makes all the difference. Like twice the difference.

"Both PS3 and 360 output a constant 1080p whether it's native or not doesn't matter. It makes all the difference. Like twice the difference. "

I'm sorry but that is just not true. 90% of the 360 and PS3 games upconvert games. There are multitudes of articles about particular games and native resolution. For instance, Tekken 6 on PS3 runs in 560 or so resolution (under 600) and Xbox 360 runs the SAME game in 720p !! Both systems will display the game in 1080P however if your system is set to that but they do NOT add "twice the difference in resolution" as you claim-they're simply upconverting. Your taking native resolution and adding pixels that the developers of the game DID NOT draw into the game. Just like the high hz modes of LCDs such as 120 or 240hz modes add frames of animation by duplicating or predicting frames that ARE NOT THERE in code. This causes games and shows to look like liquid video instead of their desired programmed framerate.

If you like these effects- hey more power to you- but many of us are trying to be unbiased and provide fact to a prospective owner of the following:

If your priority is gaming and DVD / CABLE/Satelite/over the air broadcast- almost NONE of that is at 1080P. If your priority is more Bluray movie watching- then by all means- spend the extra cash on 1080p (or like I suggested earlier- take BOTH home and compare- return the other!)

PS to the poster about LED backlit LCD sets- while they are close (and in some cases better) than some of the finest plasmas in color rendition, they suffer MORE than current traditional LCD CCFL backlit sets with regard to viewing angle. This is not a problem if you are the only person viewing the TV 95% of the time- but if you have a pal next to you- or your viewing is slightly off angle such as standing when playing Wii or above a fireplace or seated at an angle, the color quickly washes out unless you're looking at it straight on. Traditional LCDs have come a LONG way toward improving this where many LEDs have yet to address it.

Don't take my word for it- look at some reviews in Home Theater/Sound & Vision magazine/websites and the like.

I agree with the poster who suggested Costco. I bought my monitor/hdtv hybrid, Samsung p2770hd from there and I still have 2 months to return it if i decide I don't want it.

I agree with many of the posts, if you are going to buy a new TV, definitely go with 1080p and 120hz. LG is a great brand, i bought my 52in from VideoOnly almost a year and a half ago for $1400. VideoOnly stores are only located in the west coast, so i don't know if that will help, but absolutely upgrade to 1080p and 120hz if you can. I remember one of the first blurays i watched on it was one of the Harry Potter movies and I had to turn it off because i thought a spell was going to hit me. With 120hz there isn't the as much motion blur when people are moving around so it will look really weird at first but once you adjust its great.

[quote name='Adamu Kuezada']Since your on a budget and you havn't actually mentioned using the tv for...telivison. A computer monitor with hdmi input might be a very appealing choice. I bought a monitor the other day with good specs for the price. It's still on sale so here's the link to the thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257903[/QUOTE]

Wow, good job reading the OP. He wants a 40" because he sits 8 feet from the tv. Take your little monitor on sale and see if Kenny wants it.

[quote name='BlindPete']http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Wides...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270931766&sr=1-1

buy that fer now. cheap deal before it dies or is cancled. 10 buck[/QUOTE]

That's a link to a TV that has a title describing a flashlight :error: This deal is dead BlindPete. :lol:

[quote name='kingsanto']I bought a Panasonic Plasma (42G10) last year, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with a Panasonic plasma (the LG and Samsung plasmas are said to be good, too).[/QUOTE]

I also own a Panasonic plasma (TH-42PX60U) that I bought back in 2006 and it's picture is still very, very good despite all the gaming hours on it. I feel that the recent issue with Panasonic plasmas should be brought to your attention though (...loss in Panasonic plasma black-level performance). To summarize the article, G-series black levels decline as the plasma set is used more. The V-series were not reviewed, nor were the S-series but an update from Cnet on April 2nd have found that these sets are also affected.

These are great plasma sets but they will lead to a decreased overall picture quality in the near future.

I recommend you also visit AVS forums, as they have excellent opinions on several types of HDTV sets on the market. As you will soon come to learn, there is not one HDTV that is perfect. You will find that some have great picture/audio/specs but have a buzzing sound (PN5xB860 sets), etc.

Don't be discouraged in your search :cool:

In case you guys were wondering how everything turned out, I bought the TV on Tuesday....

And it's GREAT!!!!
icon_e_biggrin.gif
icon_e_biggrin.gif
icon_e_biggrin.gif

I watched The Matrix on it, played a little bit of Heavenly Sword, and streamed some of Terminator 2 through Netflix on my 360.

Everything looked and sounded AWESOME.

The only thing I kinda have a problem with, however, is text. Some of the text, especially on my PS3, looks rather.... crunchy around the edges. I was able to smooth it out a little bit via the TV settings, but the corners are still a little bit jagged. I know that's one of the cons of having a 720 instead of a 1080, buuuuuut it's not THAT big of a deal, and I'd rather put up with some crunchy text than end up paying DOUBLE the price for the higher resolution.

Another thing that's weird is... for some reason, the picture on my 360 looks better running through component cables than the picture on my PS3 running through an HDMI cable. Both of them have crunchy text, but the 360 just seems to have less of it, plus more vibrant color. I'm certainly not complaining as I love both of my systems equally, but I just figured that the PS3 would be the better looking considering it's the more "powerful" of the two.

Anywho.... Just thought I'd let you know that all turned out okay in the end.
icon_e_biggrin.gif

I know this is kinda of late but you are really better off returning the TV and getting a 1080p set.

A) The vast majority of 720p sets are really 768p so all images are getting scaled anyways.
B) Some games (halo 3) etc aren't 720p native so they are getting scaled anyways.
C) Fox and ESPN (maybe 1 or 2 others) are the only 720p HD channels, everything else is 1080i.
D) Blu-Ray is 1080p as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SpacemanHardy']

The only thing I kinda have a problem with, however, is text. Some of the text, especially on my PS3, looks rather.... crunchy around the edges. I was able to smooth it out a little bit via the TV settings, but the corners are still a little bit jagged. I know that's one of the cons of having a 720 instead of a 1080, buuuuuut it's not THAT big of a deal, and I'd rather put up with some crunchy text than end up paying DOUBLE the price for the higher resolution.
[/QUOTE]
Sharpness set too high? I have a 720p set and text looks great.

The best advice I can offer is beware of units that use "dynamic contrast" that can't be turned off. They'll look great through HDMI, but if you need to use analogue connections like component, you'll see the backgrounds flash light/dark as the foreground moves about. Kind of like a macrovision protected tape on an old crummy VHS player.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']I know this is kinda of late but you are really better off returning the TV and getting a 1080p set.

A) The vast majority of 720p sets are really 768p so all images are getting scaled anyways.
B) Some games (halo 3) etc aren't 720p native so they are getting scaled anyways.
C) Fox and ESPN (maybe 1 or 2 others) are the only 720p HD channels, everything else is 1080i.
D) Blu-Ray is 1080p as well.[/QUOTE]

HELL NO.

I'm happy with the TV as it is right now. Every single game and DVD I've played on it looks great, and Blu Rays look fantastic. I don't even watch TV anyways, so HD channels don't mean much to me.

I am NOT... repeat... NOT paying double the price for a difference I truly can not tell.

Sharpness set too high? I have a 720p set and text looks great.
That's a good idea. I'll play around with the settings and see if it helps. As I have it right now, the TV's mode is set to "Cinema", and that helps smooth the text out a bit.

Kenny would be proud.
I'd consider this a compliment.... if only I knew who on earth Kenny was.... -_-

The best advice I can offer is beware of units that use "dynamic contrast" that can't be turned off. They'll look great through HDMI, but if you need to use analogue connections like component, you'll see the backgrounds flash light/dark as the foreground moves about. Kind of like a macrovision protected tape on an old crummy VHS player.
So far I'm running my 360 through component cables, and it looks fantastic. I haven't had any problems like the ones you're mentioning.

Actually, I take that back. I think my set was set to dynamic contrast originally, but I turned it off and now it looks perfect. :D

[quote name='htown01']That's a link to a TV that has a title describing a flashlight :error: This deal is dead BlindPete. :lol:

I also own a Panasonic plasma (TH-42PX60U) that I bought back in 2006 and it's picture is still very, very good despite all the gaming hours on it. I feel that the recent issue with Panasonic plasmas should be brought to your attention though (...loss in Panasonic plasma black-level performance). To summarize the article, G-series black levels decline as the plasma set is used more. The V-series were not reviewed, nor were the S-series but an update from Cnet on April 2nd have found that these sets are also affected.

These are great plasma sets but they will lead to a decreased overall picture quality in the near future.

I recommend you also visit AVS forums, as they have excellent opinions on several types of HDTV sets on the market. As you will soon come to learn, there is not one HDTV that is perfect. You will find that some have great picture/audio/specs but have a buzzing sound (PN5xB860 sets), etc.

Don't be discouraged in your search :cool:[/QUOTE]

My calibrated kuros are near perfect ;)

if your doing this for gaming - i STRONGLY suggest getting a 120Hz refresh rate - i wouldnt do 60Hz or 240Hz - thats all u need -

[quote name='Dreamcastguy']Is there any brand of TVs that people should avoid?[/QUOTE]

I would like to know this as well. I'm saving up for an HDTV for Christmas and have my eye on a Visio 42" 1080p 120Hz LCD for $750 at Walmart. I have seen them around and to me it seems like a cheap brand but I haven't had any experience with them so I don't know. I don't have my heart set on it, but it gives me an idea of how much I will have to invest when I am looking for one. I'll be doing mostly gaming and some video watching.

have my eye on a Visio 42" 1080p 120Hz LCD for $750 at Walmart
GOOD CHOICE! I bought one of the same specs close to 3 years ago and it has yet to have an issue and i BEAUTIFUL. The only other hd i owned was a samsung, which is a bigger name, but didnt have the picture quality and suffered from a very wobbly stand. Got the 42" which was overkill in my dormroom and now when people walk into my apartment they still say "shit, nice tv".

Vizio is the honda of tvs. Doesnt have the flashy ads of sony and samsung but they are #1 in LCD for a reason.

Oh and by the way, back in the day mine cost $1100 from sears and was the same screen as the walmart($1049) but with nicer stock speakers (Gallivia edition), so 750 is a deal.

[quote name='TLFerrill'] they are #1 in LCD for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Didnt know that. Main reason i'm saving up is that there might be a good sale around Christmas. Two questions I have is what is a good contrast ratio and is it worth it to look into a 240hz?

[quote name='WarriorBlake']Didnt know that. Main reason i'm saving up is that there might be a good sale around Christmas. Two questions I have is what is a good contrast ratio and is it worth it to look into a 240hz?[/QUOTE]
Don't pay too much attention to contrast ratios. There's no standardized method for measuring them, and manufacturers tend to exaggerate them.

I'd say that a 120Hz set is worthwhile for Bluray since you can watch movies with a normal 24fps cadence. This is seperate from the de-judder or "smoothing" mode that's often tied in with it. If you like it, more power to you. Don't know much about the newer 240Hz sets, but I assume they simply offer better smoothing.

The main reason I would consider 240hz is to have the feature when it comes more available in the future, kinda like when u build a PC. You may not need the power now, but you will be set for quite a few years.

[quote name='WarriorBlake']The main reason I would consider 240hz is to have the feature when it comes more available in the future, kinda like when u build a PC. You may not need the power now, but you will be set for quite a few years.[/QUOTE]
Comes more available? The feature is what it is. Everything is done in the tv; it doesn't require support at the source level.

the text issue isnt related to the resolution, theres a setting somewhere waiting for you to fiddle with it.

as far as the vast majority of these dipshits who think marketing is fact, they dont know what theyre jabbering about. your eyes are what matter and theyre happy.
the only source youll possibly see a difference in resolution on is a blu ray.

we should sticky one of the million threads regarding this so we limit the amount of misinformation and marketing jibberish that gets thrown around.

[quote name='SpacemanHardy']HELL NO.

I'm happy with the TV as it is right now. Every single game and DVD I've played on it looks great, and Blu Rays look fantastic. I don't even watch TV anyways, so HD channels don't mean much to me.

I am NOT... repeat... NOT paying double the price for a difference I truly can not tell.

That's a good idea. I'll play around with the settings and see if it helps. As I have it right now, the TV's mode is set to "Cinema", and that helps smooth the text out a bit.

I'd consider this a compliment.... if only I knew who on earth Kenny was.... -_-

So far I'm running my 360 through component cables, and it looks fantastic. I haven't had any problems like the ones you're mentioning.

Actually, I take that back. I think my set was set to dynamic contrast originally, but I turned it off and now it looks perfect. :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='htown01']I also own a Panasonic plasma (TH-42PX60U) that I bought back in 2006 and it's picture is still very, very good despite all the gaming hours on it. I feel that the recent issue with Panasonic plasmas should be brought to your attention though (...loss in Panasonic plasma black-level performance). To summarize the article, G-series black levels decline as the plasma set is used more. The V-series were not reviewed, nor were the S-series but an update from Cnet on April 2nd have found that these sets are also affected.

Don't be discouraged in your search :cool:[/QUOTE]

I dropped by to read this thread and mention that exact same link. I'm in the market for a new set for the bedroom and was thinking about a Panasonic plasma until I read that article. =/ Too bad there's no setting to turn off that feature. The Panasonics have a pretty nice picture.

Best Buy has the Sony KDL-46XBR9 on clearance for $999. 100,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 1080P, 240hz, Netflix Streaming, etc.. I have this one and it's the baddass Cadillac mack daddy of LCD TVs. Remember, this set cost $2700 when it came out last year!

It's a deleted/closeout item, so you won't find it at BestBuy.com. Call you local store to see if they have it. They'll probably all be gone chainwide within a month so get it while you still can!

Here's the CNET Review

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102343&nm_mc=OTC-RSS

It is the newer 2010 version of the model below which is the HDTV that I own. A great unit for a great price.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102259

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the refresh rate and other semantics. Truth be told, in 5 years you will want to upgrade to an LED HDTV so don't stress over the minor details. As long as you get a 40" at 1080p, you'll be a happy camper.

It's kinda like agonizing what cut of steak you want for dinner (filet mignon, ribeye, strip). In the end, steak is steak and it's all good.

I think you'll be thrilled with a 42" 720p. If you had a 1080p right next to it, you might notice a difference, but I really doubt you'll ever look at your 720p and think it's anything other than awesome. Of course if you have more to spend, go with a 1080p, but if not, buy your 720p, and be happy.

For the record, I have a 2 year old Panasonic 50" 720p and I LOVE it. Even after 2 years, I turn it on and think, damn, this is awesome. I did a lot of research when I bought it and it paid off.

Check out techbargains.com for good deals. Surprisingly, Sears often has some of the best deals on HDTVs. The best thing about Sears is you probably have one near you, and in my experience they've been very good at standing behind what they sell. I bought a grill from them and after 6 months I wasn't happy with it. They took it back and gave me full price credit on a new grill!

bread's done
Back