Xbox 360 Arcade $159 @ amazon FSSS

[quote name='poker360']dunno why anyone would buy one right now when the inevitable 360 slim will be announced at e3[/QUOTE]

What exactly is this magical slim going to do that the current 360 does not?

[quote name='Brother Daz']Nothing[/QUOTE]

If it is not going to do anything different, then I do not see a point in waiting, especially when you can grab an arcade + 250GB HD for the cost of the current elite.

Sorry if I went off-topic a bit, but I am in the market for a 360 so I just want to have all the info to make an informed purchase.

[quote name='Ryukahn']What exactly is this magical slim going to do that the current 360 does not?[/QUOTE]

How about run better overall?

Less heat, less noise, better reliability. All things the slim SHOULD feature.

[quote name='Ryukahn']What exactly is this magical slim going to do that the current 360 does not?[/QUOTE]

In case you haven't noticed, the failure rate of xbox 360s is EXTREMELY high. Releasing a slim model with better cooling system, eliminating RROD, would definitely be worth getting a slim... And most likely it will be packaged with natal.

If anyone want's to make an informed purchase, you would wait until after E3. You have waited 5 years to get a 360, 2 more months won't hurt.

Just my opinion.

can anyone share more info on a possible xbox slim? im thinking about trading in my old xbox 20gb at gamestop now that they have extra $50 hardware credit and buying an elite

when is E3?

[quote name='henry00x']can anyone share more info on a possible xbox slim? im thinking about trading in my old xbox 20gb at gamestop now that they have extra $50 hardware credit and buying an elite

when is E3?[/QUOTE]

Microsoft press conference is June 14th

[quote name='poker360']In case you haven't noticed, the failure rate of xbox 360s is EXTREMELY high. Releasing a slim model with better cooling system, eliminating RROD, would definitely be worth getting a slim... And most likely it will be packaged with natal.

If anyone want's to make an informed purchase, you would wait until after E3. You have waited 5 years to get a 360, 2 more months won't hurt.

Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Well, I haven't waited 5 years to own one, I bought a launch system and have had a few others between then and now, though I haven't owned one in almost 2 years. I ended up selling them due to time constraints and worries about RROD.

It was my understanding that the current chipset or whatever resolved a good portion of the failure rates, thus RROD wasn't as big a concern as it was several years ago. My big worry with waiting for E3 is that they will announce the slim and say it will be released in the fall or something, meaning I have to wait even longer. This is the first summer in awhile that I will have completely free, and wanted to use that time to get caught up on the 360 games I have missed since I last owned it, so that in the fall when I go back to college I will be ready for Madden, Halo Reach, and whatnot without the big backlog since time will be at a premium once I do.

Even if they announce a slim at E3 it won't be released until at least October/November (just a guess), and my 360 just red ringed this week so I really don't want to wait that long. I'm thinking about getting an Arcade and just swapping hard drives, but the lack of HDMI is kind of a deal breaker. I'm waiting for either a Dell deal to go up for a Pro or at least a $50 gift card deal that was so abundant a few weeks ago but now seems to have disappeared.

[quote name='sk8nob']Even if they announce a slim at E3 it won't be released until at least October/November (just a guess), and my 360 just red ringed this week so I really don't want to wait that long. I'm thinking about getting an Arcade and just swapping hard drives, but the lack of HDMI is kind of a deal breaker. I'm waiting for either a Dell deal to go up for a Pro or at least a $50 gift card deal that was so abundant a few weeks ago but now seems to have disappeared.[/QUOTE]

I thought all the new Arcade models had an HDMI slot?

You're absolutely right, I forgot they changed them awhile back. Thanks a bunch, now I know for sure I'll be picking this up.

!!!!
I just bought one from gamestop since I missed this deal 2 weeks ago, I don't give a shit about a slim unless its impossible to break.

Slims will still break... and if the rumors of an internal HDD are true, it'll be even more annoying when it has problems

Can't wait for the inevitable, "Man, I just bought an Arcade, damn," posts when the Slims are announced with awesome new features you can't possibly imagine right now.

"Microsoft today announced the newest version of their console, the Xbox 361. In addition to the current stable of features included with the current Xbox 360, the new 361 also comes with new virtual reality goggles, free Xbox Live Gold functionality for the life of the console, a 256 gb flash drive, a slot blu-ray drive for the new exclusive 361 BD-based games, enhanced GPU hardware to provide actual 1080p graphics at fluid 120 fps, built-in wireless N, four USB3 ports for expansion, and an included breadmaker accessory, Breadmaking Online Biomechanoid (BOB) that will generate loaves of bread based on the number of achievements you gain. Included is a lifetime supply of the new Xbox 361 BOB cartridges that will resupply the machine. (Avoid getting BOB wet. Microsoft cannot be held accountable if the BOB unit is exposed to water. Also, avoid talking to BOB. Sentience has been known to occur. In the event of a Red Ring of Life Event, do not attempt to pull the plug. BOB may attempt to begin World War 3.)

It also comes packaged with two Xbox 361 Controller-XT's. Newly announced, these controllers use a new wireless technology that is less prone to causing brain damage than the prior version. Completely incompatible with the older generation console, these controllers include silent fans built into the grips to cool your palms, motion control technology, speakers, and a crosspad licensed from Nintendo. Included with each controller is the Nintendo Seal of Approval and copies of every NES and SNES game ever developed by Nintendo now ported and improved by Nintendo themselves. The new 361 includes an HDMI port that includes full DTS HD MA and Dolby Digital Plus encoding and LPCM output.

Every 361 also includes a copy of Halo Collection including Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, and the upcoming Halo Reach. Exclusively with the new console, Halo 1 and 2 have been remastered to HD in video and audio with updated and restarted online features. Each part of the Collection can be bought separately, starting at $39.99 for Halo HD.

Every Xbox 361 includes the Microsoft Natal add-on built into the unit and exclusive Microsoft-branded Natal sweatshirt, sweatpants, gloves, and socks. Beyond simply fashionable in bright lime green and orange with white trim coloring, the new 361Fit will give your Natal console new features including heartrate monitor, arousal indicators, and mind-shattering electric shock feedback in select areas. (Microsoft cannot be held responsible for misuse or abuse of the Xbox 361Fit or the electrodes that become exposed over the course of use. If you are susceptible to death by electrocution, please do not use. Do not wash the Xbox 361Fit. Use the included envelope and ship back at your expense to a local Microsoft Washing Center. In 7-15 business days, Microsoft will return to you at your expense a refurbished, but clean Xbox 361Fit.) The Project Natal unit will not become available separately for six months after launch of the Xbox 361.

Available at launch: The new Xbox 361 Elite that includes all of the above Arcade features and also adds a new holographic projector attachment, along with a game to go with it, Duck Hunt VR.

Priced at $199.99 with a $25 gift card at amazon.com for a limited time, the Xbox 361 Arcade is priced to move. The Xbox 361 Elite will launch at a price of $299.99 for a limited time for those that trade in their working Xbox 360. (This offer does not include the faulty 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, or many 2010 Xbox 360 units prone to hardware malfunction.)

Jump in.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Can't wait for the inevitable, "Man, I just bought an Arcade, damn," posts when the Slims are announced with awesome new features you can't possibly imagine right now.

"Microsoft today announced the newest version of their console, the Xbox 361. In addition to the current stable of features included with the current Xbox 360, the new 361 also comes with new virtual reality goggles, free Xbox Live Gold functionality for the life of the console, a 256 gb flash drive, a slot blu-ray drive for the new exclusive 361 BD-based games, enhanced GPU hardware to provide actual 1080p graphics at fluid 120 fps, built-in wireless N, four USB3 ports for expansion, and an included breadmaker accessory, Breadmaking Online Biomechanoid (BOB) that will generate loaves of bread based on the number of achievements you gain. Included is a lifetime supply of the new Xbox 361 BOB cartridges that will resupply the machine. (Avoid getting BOB wet. Microsoft cannot be held accountable if the BOB unit is exposed to water. Also, avoid talking to BOB. Sentience has been known to occur. In the event of a Red Ring of Life Event, do not attempt to pull the plug. BOB may attempt to begin World War 3.)

It also comes packaged with two Xbox 361 Controller-XT's. Newly announced, these controllers use a new wireless technology that is less prone to causing brain damage than the prior version. Completely incompatible with the older generation console, these controllers include silent fans built into the grips to cool your palms, motion control technology, speakers, and a crosspad licensed from Nintendo. Included with each controller is the Nintendo Seal of Approval and copies of every NES and SNES game ever developed by Nintendo now ported and improved by Nintendo themselves. The new 361 includes an HDMI port that includes full DTS HD MA and Dolby Digital Plus encoding and LPCM output.

Every 361 also includes a copy of Halo Collection including Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, and the upcoming Halo Reach. Exclusively with the new console, Halo 1 and 2 have been remastered to HD in video and audio with updated and restarted online features. Each part of the Collection can be bought separately, starting at $39.99 for Halo HD.

Every Xbox 361 includes the Microsoft Natal add-on built into the unit and exclusive Microsoft-branded Natal sweatshirt, sweatpants, gloves, and socks. Beyond simply fashionable in bright lime green and orange with white trim coloring, the new 361Fit will give your Natal console new features including heartrate monitor, arousal indicators, and mind-shattering electric shock feedback in select areas. (Microsoft cannot be held responsible for misuse or abuse of the Xbox 361Fit or the electrodes that become exposed over the course of use. If you are susceptible to death by electrocution, please do not use. Do not wash the Xbox 361Fit. Use the included envelope and ship back at your expense to a local Microsoft Washing Center. In 7-15 business days, Microsoft will return to you at your expense a refurbished, but clean Xbox 361Fit.) The Project Natal unit will not become available separately for six months after launch of the Xbox 361.

Available at launch: The new Xbox 361 Elite that includes all of the above Arcade features and also adds a new holographic projector attachment, along with a game to go with it, Duck Hunt VR.

Priced at $199.99 with a $25 gift card at amazon.com for a limited time, the Xbox 361 Arcade is priced to move. The Xbox 361 Elite will launch at a price of $299.99 for a limited time for those that trade in their working Xbox 360. (This offer does not include the faulty 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, or many 2010 Xbox 360 units prone to hardware malfunction.)

Jump in.[/QUOTE]

I'd buy it

As long as the slim is still made by microsoft it will break..Sure it might not happen as often (might last a year and a half between repairs) but it will still break..

[quote name='mrright4you4now']As long as the slim is still made by microsoft it will break..Sure it might not happen as often (might last a year and a half between repairs) but it will still break..[/QUOTE]

The original xbox was more reliable than the PS2, so I'm not sure you can really say that.

[quote name='wakawakawa']The original xbox was more reliable than the PS2, so I'm not sure you can really say that.[/QUOTE]

I still have my original launch Xbox (with giant controller) and that thing is just a beast. The only problem I've had is the disc tray got kinda dirty and it was having trouble opening and closing. Other than that- you could build your homes foundation with just about 4 of these and survive a 7.0 earthquake.

Even if slim is announced it doesn't come out that day so if you wait your gonna be waiting longer than two months lol.

Yes my original xbox is still alive and kicking after being around for like a decade I've only ever had the same problem as MrEko73 with the tray having problems opening and closing but other then that it still runs like it did the day I got it. I'm talking just the 360 console here as far as my comment about it breaking. Even with all of their "improvements" and "fixes" to the 360 they still fail at a higher rate then is considered acceptable for electronics. When they started using the jasper chips they stated they had 100% fixed the consoles scratching discs if they were moved and we all know that isn't the case. So if you can prove that the only thing they say they have fixed 100% isn't fixed at all what can we assume about the other things they claim to be fixing? But in all honesty I hope they have a new model and they will last a decade like the regular xbox just based off their track record with the 360 I wouldn't gamble a dollar on thousand to one odds

[quote name='mrright4you4now']As long as the slim is still made by microsoft it will break..Sure it might not happen as often (might last a year and a half between repairs) but it will still break..[/QUOTE]

Did you already test a slim to make such a bold statement? Sounds like a fanboy is talking.

[quote name='MrEKO73']I still have my original launch Xbox (with giant controller) and that thing is just a beast. The only problem I've had is the disc tray got kinda dirty and it was having trouble opening and closing. Other than that- you could build your homes foundation with just about 4 of these and survive a 7.0 earthquake.[/QUOTE]

The launch XBOX was really well made in that respect -- MS didn't want any hardware problems (even though they did have a few -- though nothing quite like the RROD) given it was a new player in the market. There would probably be no 360 if MS had RROD issues with the original Xbox. That would have pretty much destroyed any chance of establishing market branding and reputation.

My launch PS2, on the other hand, is having some problems now. The disc tray will just close on its own the moment it opens. I need to sort of slide it out or plop the disc in as quickly as I can. I'll replace it eventually (since I have 180+ PS2 games); though I'm in no rush as I barely play anymore.

[quote name='MrEKO73']I still have my original launch Xbox (with giant controller) and that thing is just a beast. The only problem I've had is the disc tray got kinda dirty and it was having trouble opening and closing. Other than that- you could build your homes foundation with just about 4 of these and survive a 7.0 earthquake.[/QUOTE]

Yeah really. The original XBox only had issues during It's launch (something with having the power cords replaced, could catch fire) other then that they were very very durable. Some of them had issues with the DVD drive opening but there were simple fixes for that if you did a google search. MS just messed up with the 360, and I doubt they'll do the same with their next system given how much it has cost them (the RROD issue) and how much profit they could have made if there was no issue.

With that said I'll buy a slim if it uses quite a bit less electricity and theres a ability to transfer all your saves or somehow attach the hard drive. Considering how much I use my 360 every month I'd probably save a dollar or two in just electricity cost alone a month.

Either way this is awesome price for a Arcade. I posted this when it last went up and quite a few people jumped on it. I don't see them launching a Slim at $150 so your still saving money here. If you need a 360 this month or in the near future and can't wait for E3 then this is the way to go.

My greatest fear with the announcement of the XBOX 360 slim is that it is a new platform. Shrinking the system doesn't mean that it will improve the reliability. Smaller chips do improve reliability, but shrinking the case means that they will have to use smaller coolers/heatsinks. This creates the possibility of a return of the RROD if the placement is incorrect or they don't sit well (like the 1st gen XBOX 360s). So I think I will either get a current Arcade, or wait for a few months after the slim is launched to get that, but I have no plans to jump right in to get a brand new slim.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I'm considering getting this just so my Xbox won't sound like a damn jet engine. It's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Install the game to your hard drive? I don't think an arcade unit will make much difference.

Edit:

Or install it to a compatible usb drive?

[quote name='iRent']Install the game to your hard drive? I don't think an arcade unit will make much difference.

Edit:

Or install it to a compatible usb drive?[/QUOTE]

He could have one of the older systems... which are loud anyway.

[quote name='iRent']Install the game to your hard drive? I don't think an arcade unit will make much difference.

Edit:

Or install it to a compatible usb drive?[/QUOTE]

Have a 360 from 2007. Always install the games to my hard drive, considering the system scratches them over time without.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INcmylacqus
^ My Xbox. Try and tell me that's not ridiculous.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Have a 360 from 2007. Always install the games to my hard drive, considering the system scratches them over time without.

^ My Xbox. Try and tell me that's not ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

This is your captain speaking. We're about to take off.

Seriously though I don't remember my 360 ever being that loud....

Here's my experience with 360s
2007 Holiday Bundle 20gb -- RROD, Lasted 11 months.
2008 Holiday Bundle 60gb -- Would periodically not be able to read disks. Lasted 10 months.
2009 Holiday Bundle 120gb -- Still going...

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Have a 360 from 2007. Always install the games to my hard drive, considering the system scratches them over time without.

^ My Xbox. Try and tell me that's not ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

LOL I thought you were exaggerating.. but I guess not. The 360 arcade consoles are definitely a lot quiter than that. Hell, my launch console was never that loud.

I don't know if it's because it's an Xbox from 2007, or what, but I'm starting to lose my patience with the sound. My new setup for my games and PC is all on one computer desk, and the Xbox is laying on top of my PC (With room to breathe, mind you) after it RROD'd once under a little raised platform on my desk.

A.K.A The damn thing is right next to me and RIGHT next to the TV. Trying to enjoy my game but all I hear is BRRRRRRRRRR. I'm sure the thing'll die soon, as it already RROD'd once, and maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send me a different Xbox with the falcon chipset and the quieter fans.

This is how my setup was:
315opkn.jpg

The Xbox isn't under the TV anymore, and is on top of the computer. Do ya SEE the problem with that, my fellow CAGmates?

Yes, that's a Mickey Mouse mousepad, and yes, it's awesome. Yes, I have 16 drumsticks, and no, I don't know why.

Man, your xbox sounds like my MGS4 bundle PS3 when it was playing God of War 3. It was the first time I'd ever heard my ps3 afterburners kick in like that.

But yeah, my launch xbox made similar amounts of noise. It died and I just bought an RE5 red bundle xbox for that confirmed jasper chip a while back.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I don't know if it's because it's an Xbox from 2007, or what, but I'm starting to lose my patience with the sound. My new setup for my games and PC is all on one computer desk[/QUOTE]

Same here. I bought an elite right when they came out in 07, have the same type of setup with my gaming PC, 360 and PS3 all on my computer desk, and my 360 also sounds like it is going to burst into flight. And every time I think it is as loud as it can get, it kicks up another notch.

I play with a Tritton headset on, so it generally does not bother me. But I am starting to get nasty looks and sighs from the wife who is trying to watch TV in the same room.

I have been tempted to get a newer arcade unit at this price, but the possibility of a slim or natal bundle later in the year makes me want to wait. I don't really want a white-shelled console, either.

I suppose I should feel lucky that is has lasted almost 3 years with no RROD, but sometimes I can't help but wish it would.

[quote name='gnargnargnar']Same here. I bought an elite right when they came out in 07, have the same type of setup with my gaming PC, 360 and PS3 all on my computer desk, and my 360 also sounds like it is going to burst into flight. And every time I think it is as loud as it can get, it kicks up another notch.

I play with a Tritton headset on, so it generally does not bother me. But I am starting to get nasty looks and sighs from the wife who is trying to watch TV in the same room.

I have been tempted to get a newer arcade unit at this price, but the possibility of a slim or natal bundle later in the year makes me want to wait. I don't really want a white-shelled console, either.

I suppose I should feel lucky that is has lasted almost 3 years with no RROD, but sometimes I can't help but wish it would.[/QUOTE]

It's like we're the same person. :) 'Cept for the wife part. I'm 17, and I think that may be frowned upon in many places.

I had an xbox from march 2006 and mine sounded just like the one in that video. I grabbed one from this sale last time and It is amazing how much more quiet it is and I am pretty sure somehow the graphics looks sharper on my newer one also. having an HDMI port is really nice also !

bread's done
Back