Tax Cheats

I see what you did there.

Of course the best thing to do would be to pass a law to collect taxes on online purchases. Problem solved, no privacy issues.

One state cannot force a business in another state to collect taxes for them.
That was the entire fight between Amazon and New York some time back.

Yet New York collects sales tax on purchases from Amazon. Amazon has so far been unsuccessful at challenging it.

There could also be a federal law.

Amazon has to collect New York taxes because current tax law gives states the right to demand that online sellers collect sales tax in states where they have existing physical outsets. New York's politicians used this as a loophole, deciding that since Amazon has affiliates that have physical locations in New York, they can force Amazon to collect sales tax in the state. If Amazon did not have "physical" locations within the state, New York would have had no leg to stand on.

But - regardless - individuals are using this tax loophole (sales tax not being collected at time of purchase) to get out of paying the taxes they rightfully owe the government. North Carolina is simply looking to address this issue by going after these tax cheats. THat's good, right?

fuck the online tax collection bs and taxes in general. The day the government starts spending money on programs I agree with(English as a PRIMARY language classes, fixing roads right the first time and going after utility companies that dig them up 2 weeks after they fuckin' paved them to re-pave the whole section)is the day I'd be for the states/cities and/or fed trying to go after online companies collecting taxes from customers.

Otherwise, f the gov't and the pork barrel projects they waste tax dollars on.

[quote name='UncleBob']Amazon has to collect New York taxes because current tax law gives states the right to demand that online sellers collect sales tax in states where they have existing physical outsets. New York's politicians used this as a loophole, deciding that since Amazon has affiliates that have physical locations in New York, they can force Amazon to collect sales tax in the state. If Amazon did not have "physical" locations within the state, New York would have had no leg to stand on.[/quote]

Yup, and so they're collecting taxes.

[quote name='UncleBob']But - regardless - individuals are using this tax loophole (sales tax not being collected at time of purchase) to get out of paying the taxes they rightfully owe the government. North Carolina is simply looking to address this issue by going after these tax cheats. THat's good, right?[/QUOTE]

Some get out of it and some don't know how to fill out their taxes, but it is something that should be addressed since it gives online retailers an unfair advantage. Amazon knows that, hence their fight against being taxed.

[quote name='UncleBob']Amazon has to collect New York taxes because current tax law gives states the right to demand that online sellers collect sales tax in states where they have existing physical outsets. New York's politicians used this as a loophole, deciding that since Amazon has affiliates that have physical locations in New York, they can force Amazon to collect sales tax in the state. If Amazon did not have "physical" locations within the state, New York would have had no leg to stand on.

But - regardless - individuals are using this tax loophole (sales tax not being collected at time of purchase) to get out of paying the taxes they rightfully owe the government. North Carolina is simply looking to address this issue by going after these tax cheats. THat's good, right?[/QUOTE]

Wall of text, I choose you.

I have a $6000 medical bill with $200 left to pay on it. Every two weeks, $11 goes out of my wife's check and into a medical debit card. So, every month the hospital gets about $22 towards the remaining balance. This month and last month, Jewish Hospital has sent the bill in red to let me know how important it is and they're thinking about turning it over to collections. I intend to pay them off in July when the plan year reset and the deductions from my wife's check can't be used. Now, Jewish Hospital could send me to collections. They've already received 97% of their money and the remaining balance would cost them far more in paperwork to go through a collections agency than to wait another two months on the money.

Let's compare this to SC. Assuming state sales tax is $7 or $8 per $100 purchased, how much money is SC willing to spend to find, prosecute and collect the sales tax? Are they really losing out on a lot of money or are they trying to justify their existence?

[quote name='SpazX']Yup, and so they're collecting taxes.[/QUOTE]

Does Amazon have any affiliates in North Carolina that would qualify NC to force them to collect taxes? If so, I would assume that NC has already considered this route.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Let's compare this to SC. Assuming state sales tax is $7 or $8 per $100 purchased, how much money is SC willing to spend to find, prosecute and collect the sales tax? Are they really losing out on a lot of money or are they trying to justify their existence? [/quote]

You know, I bet with penalties and late fees, they could probably make it worth their while.

I've been having this talk with my dad who has been a CPA for most of my life. It's irritating and it sounds like with this "used" tax crap you're screwed if you do and don't. It's like getting pulled over during the middle of the night (I have twice now at my job...) and having them suspect you're doing something more wrong than having say a fix it violation... It's lame...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2010/03/08/amazon-fires-colorado-affiliates-in-protest/http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/03/amazon-fires-its-colorado-asso.html
Amazon shut down its referral program in colorado for the tax issue as well.

I think New Yorks precedent should hold steady, as long as the company does not have a physical presence OR employees in the state, it should not be forced to collect sales tax. This is why Amazon cut its referrel program in Colorado.

In New York at least now when you do your taxes they make you fill out a form that asks you if you bought anything online or out of state that was untaxed, and how much did it cost.

I have no problem with paying sales tax on online purchases.

I'm getting (usually) the same product I'd get buying locally where I'd be paying state sales tax. See no reason why it shouldn't be the same when I order online.

No big burden on the stores to have to do it--just a matter of having the software update total price in the checkout based on state of residence. Already happens in states where stores like Amazon have a physical presence, so no big deal for them to update it to include every state that has sales tax.

Though I don't expect my stance to be popular here with the usual suspects or the site membership in general since this is CheapAssGamer after all!

[quote name='UncleBob']Does Amazon have any affiliates in North Carolina that would qualify NC to force them to collect taxes? If so, I would assume that NC has already considered this route.[/QUOTE]

I would be surprised if they didn't really, it's not that hard to become an affiliate. I can't tell you why they went the route they did.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I have no problem with paying sales tax on online purchases.

I'm getting (usually) the same product I'd get buying locally where I'd be paying state sales tax. See no reason why it shouldn't be the same when I order online.

No big burden on the stores to have to do it--just a matter of having the software update total price in the checkout based on state of residence. Already happens in states where stores like Amazon have a physical presence, so no big deal for them to update it to include every state that has sales tax.

Though I don't expect my stance to be popular here with the usual suspects or the site membership in general since this is CheapAssGamer after all![/QUOTE]

I have no problem whatsoever with paying the taxes if they're levied on my purchase at the time of purchase.

Pennsylvania used to be one of the states where you DIDN'T have to pay the shit 6% tax on online purchases or purchases made solely with store credit, but since they became one of the greedy states like NY though they can come get me if they want their blood money if I'm not charged it otherwise.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']fuck the online tax collection bs and taxes in general. The day the government starts spending money on programs I agree with(English as a PRIMARY language classes, fixing roads right the first time and going after utility companies that dig them up 2 weeks after they fuckin' paved them to re-pave the whole section)is the day I'd be for the states/cities and/or fed trying to go after online companies collecting taxes from customers.

Otherwise, f the gov't and the pork barrel projects they waste tax dollars on.[/QUOTE]

I do wonder if just about everyone has you on ignore when you can go 10 posts after saying we don't teach English in this country without even a "really?"

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have no problem whatsoever with paying the taxes if they're levied on my purchase at the time of purchase.

Pennsylvania used to be one of the states where you DIDN'T have to pay the shit 6% tax on online purchases or purchases made solely with store credit, but since they became one of the greedy states like NY though they can come get me if they want their blood money if I'm not charged it otherwise.[/QUOTE]

PA sales taxes are fucking glorious. 6% on stuff, 0% on groceries, clothing, textbooks, drugs, and some other shit. It's fantastic.

[quote name='elprincipe']I do wonder if just about everyone has you on ignore when you can go 10 posts after saying we don't teach English in this country without even a "really?"[/QUOTE]
I don't really give a shit either way who has ignored me or who reads my rants/diatribes.

[quote name='SpazX']PA sales taxes are fucking glorious. 6% on stuff, 0% on groceries, clothing, textbooks, drugs, and some other shit. It's fantastic.[/QUOTE]

It still shocks me to buy something in another state and have to pay tax on it since I am used to not paying tax on certain items. Like when I bought a shirt in Florida, they charge sales tax on clothes there and NJ charges tax on candy.

Not really related to this topic, but it came up here and I wanted to share.

Lady called work today. She bought a DVD and couldn't get it to play anything but the Spanish soundtrack. I asked what the movie was, went and got a copy off the shelf and - sure enough - it's a Spanish movie with English subtitles. I have her verify that her copy of the movie shows this same information. Surprise, it does.

So, she wants to return it. I tell her that once the movie has been opened, it can't be returned unless it's defective.

"It is defective. I'm American and I don't speak Spanish."

I thought this was a discussion on how to cheat your way out of paying some taxes, not cheat on your tax returns which I know is definitely illegal :D.

anyway I hated the whole NY state thing (because I live in it). had Amazon originally charged tax I wouldn't have minded but a few years back NY pulled some bs due to Amazon affiliates. Now because of this I do not use any refferal links when purchasing from Amazon or any other online retailer, not to spite the affiliates (like our Mr CheapyD) but a) because I hate how the government pulled this shit and b) because I'm mainly cheap.

anyway when tax time hits I don't have anything listed under internet purchases even though I order lots of stuff. although the majority is from Amazon (which I already pay taxes) and eBay which shouldn't count.

[quote name='UncleBob']Not really related to this topic, but it came up here and I wanted to share.

Lady called work today. She bought a DVD and couldn't get it to play anything but the Spanish soundtrack. I asked what the movie was, went and got a copy off the shelf and - sure enough - it's a Spanish movie with English subtitles. I have her verify that her copy of the movie shows this same information. Surprise, it does.

So, she wants to return it. I tell her that once the movie has been opened, it can't be returned unless it's defective.

...[/QUOTE]

Funny.

Conversations like these are why I'm trying to get away from speaking to the general public.

Not really related to this topic, but it came up here and I wanted to share.

coolstorybro.

must've been IATCG's wife or some shit.

[quote name='UncleBob']Not really related to this topic, but it came up here and I wanted to share.

...[/QUOTE]
:lol: Now THAT right there is a true ignorant American capitalist. Don't even bother to read what you're grabbing off the shelf to buy, just buy it.

Then come back in later to bitch that you bought the wrong thing and want your money back.:roll:

Oh and IRHari, I would never have a wife. No woman(or man, animal, etc, etc, etc) can put up with me for THAT long.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: Now THAT right there is a true ignorant American capitalist. Don't even bother to read what you're grabbing off the shelf to buy, just buy it.

Then come back in later to bitch that you bought the wrong thing and want your money back.:roll:

Oh and IRHari, I would never have a wife. No woman(or man, animal, etc, etc, etc) can put up with me for THAT long.;)[/QUOTE]

Dude. I swear you're bipolar.

You've been in here ragging about English as a PRIMARY language and all that garbage but then you put down a woman who exemplifies the 'Merica that you love and you put her down?

Besides, can't we find some prime examples of how you've been a good little capitalist.....

[quote name='depascal22']Dude. I swear you're bipolar.

You've been in here ragging about English as a PRIMARY language and all that garbage but then you put down a woman who exemplifies the 'Merica that you love and you put her down?

Besides, can't we find some prime examples of how you've been a good little capitalist.....[/QUOTE]
Who said I love America in the first place?:razz: I think our system here is corrupt and every member of our governments are puppets on the strings of the big corporations.

But you've gone on record blasting the government for not supporting English as a primary language. I think it's funny that even natural born (I'm just assuming here but c'mon) citizens can't read English as their primary language but yet you demand that immigrants should speak the queen's English at all times.

[quote name='depascal22']But you've gone on record blasting the government for not supporting English as a primary language. I think it's funny that even natural born (I'm just assuming here but c'mon) citizens can't read English as their primary language but yet you demand that immigrants should speak the queen's English at all times.[/QUOTE]
Actually I'm 100% ok with them speaking their native language in their homes, but out in public they should speak English.

And even I know that what we Americans speak is not the 'queens' English'.

As cool as RDR, I think it sucks that IATCG is trying to be a modern day Marston.

Then again, I don't remember Marston complaining about Mexicans not speaking English in the game.

[quote name='depascal22']But you've gone on record blasting the government for not supporting English as a primary language. I think it's funny that even natural born (I'm just assuming here but c'mon) citizens can't read English as their primary language but yet you demand that immigrants should speak the queen's English at all times.[/QUOTE]

Yep because hispanics dont butcher their native spanish language either. I am sure every single one speaks exemplary spanish.

[quote name='JolietJake']As cool as RDR, I think it sucks that IATCG is trying to be a modern day Marston.

Then again, I don't remember Marston complaining about Mexicans not speaking English in the game.[/QUOTE]
Considering I believe part of the game is in Mexico, I wouldn't expect Mexicans to speak English in the game.

It also was a different time at the turn of the 20th century, but immigrants who came here legally had to go through a ton of checks(especially disease checks)before being let into the country.

Although that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand or illegal immigrants in any way.

Did you just say immigrants at the turn of the 20th century had to go through a lot of checks?

If they went through Ellis Island, there were TWO checks.

1. Tuberculosis -- "Have you or do you have TB?" Observe for unusual coughing. Next.

2. Lice -- Some lady with gloves on rooted through your hair looking for things that moved on their own. Next.

Welcome to America! Those shifty looking dudes at the end of the pier will rob you now. Oh, and don't worry about your new last name. Someone will figure out how to spell that crazy shit next century.

And now we bitch about people that WALK across the desert to get to this country. The big difference is that one group are our treasured immigrants of the past. Our grandfathers and mothers that just came here to have a better life. The second group is filled with parasites that just want us to speak Spanish and eat chalupas all day. Looks like they already accomplished one of their prime objectives.

[quote name='depascal22']Did you just say immigrants at the turn of the 20th century had to go through a lot of checks?

If they went through Ellis Island, there were TWO checks.

1. Tuberculosis -- "Have you or do you have TB?" Observe for unusual coughing. Next.

2. Lice -- Some lady with gloves on rooted through your hair looking for things that moved on their own. Next.

Welcome to America! Those shifty looking dudes at the end of the pier will rob you now. Oh, and don't worry about your new last name. Someone will figure out how to spell that crazy shit next century.

And now we bitch about people that WALK across the desert to get to this country. The big difference is that one group are our treasured immigrants of the past. Our grandfathers and mothers that just came here to have a better life. The second group is filled with parasites that just want us to speak Spanish and eat chalupas all day. Looks like they already accomplished one of their prime objectives.[/QUOTE]

They certainly won't accomplish that first objective with me.....EVER. OJ Simpson will find the "real killers"(by looking in a mirror) of Ron & Nicole before I speak Spanish. But the second is pretty tasty and I might consider giving in on that objective.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They certainly won't accomplish that first objective with me.....EVER. OJ Simpson will find the "real killers"(by looking in a mirror) of Ron & Nicole before I speak Spanish. But the second is pretty tasty and I might consider giving in on that objective.[/QUOTE]

Did you even bother to read the above part where I just tore apart your whole immigrants back in the day had to cross the border uphill in the snow twice before they could come here schtick?

[quote name='Knoell']Yep because hispanics dont butcher their native spanish language either. I am sure every single one speaks exemplary spanish.[/QUOTE]

they're not trying to get everyone to assimilate and speak only fluent spanish. if you're going to demand that everyone speak english in this country, you're going to have to set a high standard. you're going to have to speak/use perfect english.

[quote name='depascal22']Did you even bother to read the above part where I just tore apart your whole immigrants back in the day had to cross the border uphill in the snow twice before they could come here schtick?[/QUOTE]
I actually should've known that since history class was the one class where I really paid attention. Apparently, I didn't pay attention close enough though, huh? Then again, it's been 17 years since I was in school last, so maybe I'm starting to forget some of those long memorized factoids.:cry:
[quote name='IRHari']they're not trying to get everyone to assimilate and speak only fluent spanish. if you're going to demand that everyone speak english in this country, you're going to have to set a high standard. you're going to have to speak/use perfect english.[/QUOTE]
Why would we have to speak perfect English? I'm not really saying that immigrants should have to speak English fluently, but at least LEARN it and practice using it except for when they get shortchanged on their paychecks.

That's the ONLY time I've ever heard an immigrant at any job I've worked speak fluent English. What was funnier was their accent that they had even seemed to go away when it came down to them getting the right money.:lol:

[quote name='JolietJake']Ask bob, he posted the story about the film in spansih.[/QUOTE]

I was posting in response to the conversation that had shifted toward immigrants and language. Sometimes conversations move, shift and glide toward other subjects.

[quote name='IRHari']they're not trying to get everyone to assimilate and speak only fluent spanish. if you're going to demand that everyone speak english in this country, you're going to have to set a high standard. you're going to have to speak/use perfect english.[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there :)

Regardless of what country you are in, the people in that country butcher their own language. No country has a populace that speaks their language perfectly, without slang.

In France for example you would agree that most people speak french. Now are you really trying to tell me that the french people do not speak in their own slang and shorthand? BS

[quote name='depascal22']http://brownvboard.org/brwnqurt/04-1/04-1a.htm

Here you go IATCG. Some long memorized "factoids" for you. You should really take a close look at the section that said that the process took three to five hours.

Read that again. The immigration process took three to five hours. How many tests do you think half a ship could take in three to five hours?[/QUOTE]

I just got done reading it. I just hope that the legal process nowadays is a bit more lengthy, though I seriously doubt it is.

bread's done
Back