After Burner Climax only $4.99 on PSN Network!

Meh, I'm holding out for a Japanese disc containing Sumo Digital's PSN ports. I don't believe Outrun and Afterburner have come out in Japan yet, and the Japanese version of Outrun 2006 for the PS2 did come out significantly later than the US version did.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Is the game worth a darn?[/QUOTE]
It wasn't worth 10, but I'd say it's worth 5. It's very arcade-y, in both positive and negative ways. It's fast, flashy and fun, but it's over quickly. You might play through it four or five times (you can beat it in ten minutes).

[quote name='choral_music']It wasn't worth 10, but I'd say it's worth 5. It's very arcade-y, in both positive and negative ways. It's fast, flashy and fun, but it's over quickly. You might play through it four or five times (you can beat it in ten minutes).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Probably a no buy from me then. I would like more gametime out of it than that.

[quote name='hendrickfan24']5 dollars for a 10 minute game? terrible deal, I give this deal 1 star[/QUOTE]

Well... it's an arcade game. I thought it was fun to play and I think it's worth $5.

The responses in this thread... makes me hate today's gamers. You kids wouldn't know quality if it bit your balls off.

It's a great game, yes it's short. Think of it like a round of that online FPS or MMO you play over and over for hours.

[quote name='Jigen']The responses in this thread... makes me hate today's gamers. You kids wouldn't know quality if it bit your balls off.

It's a great game, yes it's short. Think of it like a round of that online FPS or MMO you play over and over for hours.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry. Afterburner is all flash and pizzazz and no substance. It's fun for three or four plays until you get the AMAZING MISSILE CHASING OH SHIT 10 SECONDS LEFT OH NOOOO finale but beyond that it's just not that good a game.

For $5, there's no question, you should give it a go because it's easily worth $5. You'll get $5 of play out of it. Try the demo.

But apart from that, there's not nearly enough there to bring a player back for repeat visits. Even Outrun has just more innately rewarding mechanics.

Coincidentally, if you gripe about people passing over AB for length reasons, and ever griped about MW2's campaign, you may wanna take a good look in the mirror. They both are short because they shoehorn in all the cool bits as tight as possible, with next to no fluff. It's refreshing compared to games like Demon Souls and MH3 that drag out 5 or so hours of gameplay to 80 with DS's punishing checkpoints and laborious pacing or MH3's comically long life bars, repetition, crafting, and laborious pacing.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'm sorry. Afterburner is all flash and pizzazz and no substance. It's fun for three or four plays until you get the AMAZING MISSILE CHASING OH SHIT 10 SECONDS LEFT OH NOOOO finale but beyond that it's just not that good a game.

For $5, there's no question, you should give it a go because it's easily worth $5. You'll get $5 of play out of it. Try the demo.

But apart from that, there's not nearly enough there to bring a player back for repeat visits. Even Outrun has just more innately rewarding mechanics.

Coincidentally, if you gripe about people passing over AB for length reasons, and ever griped about MW2's campaign, you may wanna take a good look in the mirror. They both are short because they shoehorn in all the cool bits as tight as possible, with next to no fluff. It's refreshing compared to games like Demon Souls and MH3 that drag out 5 or so hours of gameplay to 80 with DS's punishing checkpoints and laborious pacing or MH3's comically long life bars, repetition, crafting, and laborious pacing.[/QUOTE]

Why would you assume he's complained about MW2's campaign?

[quote name='Chuplayer']Meh, I'm holding out for a Japanese disc containing Sumo Digital's PSN ports. I don't believe Outrun and Afterburner have come out in Japan yet, and the Japanese version of Outrun 2006 for the PS2 did come out significantly later than the US version did.[/QUOTE]

But weren't the XBox ports of Outrun 2006 and Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast better than the PS2 versions? Cleaner graphics, better frame rates, etc? Those are the definitive ports of the new Outrun games, and worth getting if you have an XBox still kicking around . . .

Just wanted to say I enjoyed it, I got it for $10 soon after it came out. And it didn't take me long to get all the trophies for it, you can do that with not a lot of playthroughs - and, I would still recommend it if you like old-school arcade flying action.

[quote name='robbyH']I think Motor Toon Grand Prix for $6 is the better deal for this week.[/QUOTE]

Except that the game can *only* be played on the ps3. Why isn't it playable on the psp? Based on that fact it's not even worth a penny.

While its restrictive movement style can get annoying, the game really does get pretty fun once you understand how the game wants to be played. Short but sweet. Worth $5 any day.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'm sorry. Afterburner is all flash and pizzazz and no substance. It's fun for three or four plays until you get the AMAZING MISSILE CHASING OH SHIT 10 SECONDS LEFT OH NOOOO finale but beyond that it's just not that good a game.[/QUOTE]

The game has plenty of substance, but you don't recognize it. Climb the leaderboards or attempt to unlock all the awards and you'll see the depth. It's like a fighting or racing game, I can guarantee you don't see all the depth your first time through.

Don't try to say you've done this either because even the most experienced gamer will require dozens of attempts. If you've cranked down the difficulty to minimum and turned on all the cheats that's basically like playing a racing game with all the assists on.

I picked it up for the 360 and it's fun for what it is. Still need to get the A ending. Just wondering if the PSN version has unlockable items when you collect the medals and such? (Items for home or something like that)?

[quote name='chimpmeister']But weren't the XBox ports of Outrun 2006 and Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast better than the PS2 versions? Cleaner graphics, better frame rates, etc? Those are the definitive ports of the new Outrun games, and worth getting if you have an XBox still kicking around . . .[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you meant "Outrun 2 and Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast."

Yes, the XBOX ports do trump the PS2 OR2006. I have every version of the game except for the PSN/XBLA version, and I've played the hell out of all of them, so I know what I'm talking about. However, they did an excellent job on the PS2 port. There are times where you would swear you were playing an XBOX game, but it's on your PS2! They really pulled out all the stops on the graphical tricks to make it look and play as best as it could.

I heard that the Japanese PS2 version is even better than the US PS2 version.

Of course, the definitive version of Outrun 2006 is the PC version. It's the greatest thing ever. I'm not even exaggerating. I wish playing Outrun 2006 on the PC could be my groundhog day.

But, back on topic, I want to get on-disc versions of the Afterburner and Outrun games for the PS3. I don't like downloadable stuff on consoles. Look at what happened to the original XBOX. Steam's okay, but that's it. As an added bonus, perhaps they would include the original Outrun 2 courses. The PSN/XBLA Outrun only contains the 15 Outrun 2SP courses.

[quote name='mis0']It's a pretty decent game. Worth the $2 I spent (via gameshare).[/QUOTE]

Played it for trophies, worth... the $2 I spent. I don't find archaic games fun, should've stayed in the 90s.

But whatever, trophies are really quick to get in any case (1hr-ish).

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't expect a lot of replayability on this one. Will take you about 2-3 hours for 100%. It's not a bad game, just not very deep.

[quote name='chimpmeister']But weren't the XBox ports of Outrun 2006 and Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast better than the PS2 versions? Cleaner graphics, better frame rates, etc? Those are the definitive ports of the new Outrun games, and worth getting if you have an XBox still kicking around . . .[/QUOTE]

The newer Outrun Arcade games ran on modified version of the Xbox hardware in the Arcade machine, so the home version is nearly exact to the original arcade version.

Afterburner Climax (arcade version) runs off of a modified PC board codenamed Lindburg, a Sega official at some point stated that Lindburg ports to the PS3 would be easier than the Xbox 360.

fine fine, you guys have convinced me by somehow comparing it to Outrun. Always loved that little arcade game when I was a kid, but when 2006 game out, I'll be damned if I couldn't beat the first race all the way thru..same thing when the XBLA version came out (that one is super hard)

I always thought After Burner looked great, but $10 was too much. Too bad they won't hook us up for the PSP version at the same price :D

bought it for 10 no regrets. if ever credit I used was 25 cents I easily recouped my 10 dollars.

basically, if "Afterburner Climax" means a damn to you, then you'll like it. if it doesn't, then don't buy it. it's very niche, and if you're not interested it's not the kind of think you'll enjoy at basically any price.

I was so looking forward to this, but I passed on XBLA even when it went to $5. It's because I remembered sitting in the arcade cabinet holding onto the throttle joystick as it violently shook and rumbled in my hands, the seat swaying back and forth, and the whole cabinet reeling back and forth.

Ooh, I found a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyWrTB0hAR4

[quote name='gordojones88']I was so looking forward to this, but I passed on XBLA even when it went to $5. It's because I remembered sitting in the arcade cabinet holding onto the throttle joystick as it violently shook and rumbled in my hands, the seat swaying back and forth, and the whole cabinet reeling back and forth.[/QUOTE]That game had nothing on R360 (G-Loc). Rolling around and around... :whee:

I liked Afterburner in the arcade when I was younger, but I think it was mainly because of the machine + moving cockpit that did it. The game play is pretty shallow and repetitive but I spent a few quarters on it once upon a time. I might get it, I am on the fence though because a big part of the experience was the machine you sat in that moved with your actions.

I picked this up at regular price for nostalgia's sake and played it for about 15 minutes. For $5, don't expect hours and hours of entertainment, but the graphics are good.

afterburner: climax - the name says it all. piloting a boner into a giant browneye. your crosshairs are crossed hairs.

[quote name='Jigen']The responses in this thread... makes me hate today's gamers. You kids wouldn't know quality if it bit your balls off.

It's a great game, yes it's short. Think of it like a round of that online FPS or MMO you play over and over for hours.[/QUOTE]

I have it on 360 and will likely buy it again on PS3.

bread's done
Back