Anyone a Rush Limbaugh fan?

Hate him, but I'd guess his fans are fans for the same reason of any of these talking heads on both sides of the aisle.

Many people like to have their views reaffirmed by hearing famous people spout off the rhetoric they believe in.

How odd.
I actually found myself listening to Rush today. I was working my other job, which involves a lot of driving. Normally, I'd tune over to Dave Ramsey at this time, but the boss (who drove the van before me) had the station tuned to whatever local AM station plays Rush (not even sure what it is). He was talking about the court ruling in the Arizona case. Since I hadn't yet heard anything about it, I left the radio there for a bit.

I hope I never do that again. That guy just rubs me the wrong way.

I just don't understand this guy.
i read about this

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/rush_24_7_adopt_a_soldier.guest.html

its a program where he gets his listeners to buy subs for his program and donates them to soldiers. Its just so self serving. why doesn't he just gives it to soldiers for free?

its a win win win for him. he pockets your money and spreads his influence to soldiers who are supposed to be apolitical. while remaining to be a generous guy himself, i guess.

My dad listens to Micheal Savage (I think that's the name?), and he's always telling me how terrible Obama is etc...

Sometimes I have to listen to it in the car and it's nauseating. Remembered bits and pieces about the how America is being brainwashed by a tyrant, something about kids spiking their har, and some lady calling as her and Savage discussed the fall of the Roman empire and how the U.S. is on the same path.

At that moment I turned to my dad and said, "This guy sounds a bit biased doesn't he?"

"ehhh, yeah, a little"

Look, Limbaugh is a hypocritical douchebag of the highest order. (Of course his followers are even dumber).

But if you are a fan of talk radio, he is an interesting study.

I've never gotten the appeal of talk radio period.

But of course I've never really been one that was very interested in other's opinions. I just seek out sources of information. I can form my own opinions.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've never gotten the appeal of talk radio period.

But of course I've never really been one that was very interested in other's opinions. I just seek out sources of information. I can form my own opinions.[/QUOTE]
Sources of information? Like the Liberal Media?

Key is to just use a variety of news sources. Use multiple sources, various news aggregation sites etc. and you'll stay pretty well informed.

Liberal media is largely a myth anyway. Most news sources are fine outside of the opinion pages.

The conservative media is worse with Fox news putting (D) beside the names of republican congressman caught in scandals etc. etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've never gotten the appeal of talk radio period.

But of course I've never really been one that was very interested in other's opinions. I just seek out sources of information. I can form my own opinions.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, when the local NPR station cuts to classical music, I have to switch the radio to something. Thankfully, Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard fill most of that void for me. If your only talk radio experience is Rush/Beck/etc., you really need to expand your horizons.

I mainly just listen to CDs in the car. I'm seldom in the car during the time of the day that NPR (rather than classical music) is on the radio. Usually head in later than the morning news and leave after the evening news, All Things Considered etc. are over.

Of course I also have a 3 mile commute or so now, so not much chance anyway. Though it is 3 city road miles with traffic lights etc. so usually 15 minutes or so. I caught more NPR before I moved since I had a longer commute and the DC NPR station had a lot more NPR programming throughout the day.

I LOVE talk radio. Limbaugh is the Howard Stern of talk radio. Not very interesting, goes out of his way to be offensive but not too offensive. Meh.

Now Savage, there's a guy who would go far in the propaganda department of a fascist government. He was born 35 years too late.

My favorite is probably Michael Medved, just because he's the dumbest nation wide right wing talk show host. Liberals call in and beat him up pretty regularly.

LET FREEEEEEEEEDOM RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.... best intro song evar.

[quote name='speedracer']I LOVE talk radio. Limbaugh is the Howard Stern of talk radio. Not very interesting, goes out of his way to be offensive but not too offensive. Meh.

Now Savage, there's a guy who would go far in the propaganda department of a fascist government. He was born 35 years too late.

My favorite is probably Michael Medved, just because he's the dumbest nation wide right wing talk show host. Liberals call in and beat him up pretty regularly.

LET FREEEEEEEEEDOM RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.... best intro song evar.[/QUOTE]

I used to listen to Rush all the time. I can listen to him, but it is mostly for humor.

His railing of Obama "Stalinism" is a joy to listen to.

Unfortunately, I work until 4:30pm M-F. So, I have no opportunity to listen anymore.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I used to listen to Rush all the time. I can listen to him, but it is mostly for humor.

His railing of Obama "Stalinism" is a joy to listen to.

Unfortunately, I work until 4:30pm M-F. So, I have no opportunity to listen anymore.[/QUOTE]
My favorite was his and Hannity's screaming about the "Obama bear market". That sucker shot down the memory hole when the market suddenly flipped and went past the highs of the year. I keep waiting for em to bring it back.

Flipping through the radio I occasionally listen to him, but my mode of transportation from march to november is a motorcycle, so I can't really say I ever listen to him. Talk radio is just boring.

I ended up canceling my Zune pass because I found I usually listen to talk radio in the rare times I listen to anything.

I will sometimes turn on Rush driving around on my lunch break, but only for entertainment - the guy is just a Republican Schill, almost as bad as Hanity. Rush is more tolerable than Hanity though, barely.

Most of what I listen to is local talk radio which isn't usually political. It's easier to participate in, call in, text, and they often talk about interesting things like movies and video games.

I dont like any talk radio, especially guys like savage or limbaugh. Because those types of guys are the worst ones to have speaking to people, they pour poison in the ears of the masses. They are a bad influence because they find other people like them and feed them, they give those people a reason to keep on acting just like them.

It wouldnt be so bad if they were more open minded and before opening their mouths would consider both sides of the fence on a issue or something. But they dont, all they do is form a opinion about something and will argue it to the death and even consider the possibility or seeing someone elses views or ever consider the idea they might be wrong. They are incredible narrow minded, arrogant, hostile, argumenative, crass, closed minded and spiteful.

Talk radio is only talk radio in the sense some asshole sits on the radio and bitches, complains and bullies others with no thoughts other than his own worded to cause maximum annoyance and intolerance.

And like this guy I heard a couple weeks ago was basically radio tabloids. He sat and was bitching about mel gibsons divorce thing for a long time, making accusations, pointing his finger and all kinds of ignorant shit I cant imagine anyone cared about and he went on about for like 45 minutes. I was stuck listening to it at the comic shop because I came in early for the wednesday comics to get them counted, sorted and on display before we opened and the boss likes to listen to that shit in the morning.

I listen to a lot of NPR anymore, but I used to listen to the fuck out of Hannity and Savage. I just wanted the entertainment value.

See, pro wrestling has gone to the shitter since I was a kid. I missed seeing bad guys like Ric Flair, or the Million Dollar Man, show up on my TV screen and make fun of common folks - make fun of me, or my heroes. I wanted to see Hulk Hogan, or Sting, or even Lex Luger (sorry) come and beat them up.

But the past 10-12 years, it's all been WWF/WWE. They went too corporate. Everything is so pre-fab now even the Jonas Brothers blush. So these muscle dudes come out and talk - they cut promos. But they don't incite the crowd the way they used to. When they talk, they recite lines with such wooden, lackluster delivery that it's akin to watching an 8th grade pageant every Monday night.

Let me put it this way: Dick the Bruiser once got stabbed in the abdomen by a fan when walking out of an arena. Today, you're more likely to see your most reviled WWE bad guy collecting donations at a soup kitchen so WWE can put photos on their website, or at an autograph signing at a "Toys R Us." The WWE let us into the backstage area, and the product has been ruined as a result. There's no suspension of disbelief anymore, they keep taking it away by showing us the man behind the curtain.

Talk radio doesn't do that. Talk radio blew up in the fine tradition of wrestling heels:
1) incite the crowd
2) be as outrageous as humanly possible
3) never show any weakness at all
4) if you violate #3, deny, deny, deny

This NYT profile of Michael Savage shows that he's unwilling to let anyone step behind the curtain and see the real man, nutritionist Michael Weiner: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/17/arts/17sava.html?_r=1&ref=michael_savage

[quote name='NYT']Mr. Savage agreed last week to allow a reporter to sit in on his program, but only on the condition that the reporter not reveal the location of the waterside house where he was broadcasting that day, or of two other homes where he has studios and which he treats as virtual safe houses. Mr. Savage, who is licensed to carry a pistol and does so, said the secrecy was warranted by his fears for his life, based on the sheaf of death threats he says he has received over the years.[/quote]

That's closer to Dick the Bruiser than you would have thought, yes?

Let's not forget Father Coughlin's standard-bearing. It's not *entirely* pro wrestling, but talk radio, to me, fills the entertainment void in my life that wrestling has failed to accomplish for a decade or so. Now, of course it's disappointing that people buy shock-jock entertainment as 'news' or 'information,' and they do. But, hey, when I was 11 I thought the Undertaker was really dead. So I guess that means that 40-70 year old racist numbskulls can buy into Glenn Beck's serial stories and phony tears well enough.

[quote name='usickenme']
(really though, spare the strawman act)[/QUOTE]

That was essentially my message to myke, yes.

Show me where Beck is racist, was it his entire programs focussed on black leaders in the founding of this country and their integral roles that was offensive or was it something else?

Or is it, as I believe, that if you are conservative and/or not liberal - you're automatically a racist out of necessity for the left agenda.

rush, nope not even a little.

only talk radio i listen to is our local boys armstrong and getty during my morning commute. my commute after work has clark howard now, prior to that it was hannity, and prior to that it was savage. i very rarely listen to radio on my evening commute. although i do find savage pretty entertaining at times (and before you flame please remember i said entertaining, not intriguing).

[quote name='thrustbucket']That was essentially my message to myke, yes.
[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. When you have to qualify or modify his post to make your point, it fails.

For the record. I don’t know if Beck doesn’t like black people or not. I suspect he is like most people my age and there isn’t too much of a problem there.

He is, however, a racist in the sense that he will use race issues to drive ratings. He promotes the idea to you –Mr. and Mrs. White American- that Obama not only prefers black people but is specifically out to get you.

Ah I forgot about that. I also forgot what Beck's definition of 'white culture' was, does anyone remember?

Yeah if I'm in the field I try to catch Glenn Beck (the guy actually is hilarious) and Rush Limbaugh. I hate how I'm a hard working white guy and I'm forced to pay reparations via the HCR bill. Adolf Hitler ruled just like Obama, via dictate.

Only Glen could see something as setting right the wrongs of the past as a bad thing. Not that I don't know why, he meant that Obama was going to punish white people for the wrongs of the past, he just couldn't say it that way.

It's not that Glenn Beck is a racist, and that only racists listen to, it's that:

Glenn Beck is a stupid person, and only stupid people listen to him.

[quote name='IRHari']Ah I forgot about that. I also forgot what Beck's definition of 'white culture' was, does anyone remember?

Yeah if I'm in the field I try to catch Glenn Beck (the guy actually is hilarious) and Rush Limbaugh. I hate how I'm a hard working white guy and I'm forced to pay reparations via the HCR bill. Adolf Hitler ruled just like Obama, via dictate.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't that apply to every president?
oh yea, obama has 2 hands and a nose just like hitler too.

[quote name='shosh']Doesn't that apply to every president?
oh yea, obama has 2 hands and a nose just like hitler too.[/QUOTE]
learn2sarcasm

Savage is fun to listen to just because he's so outrageous. I'm not sure if is serious or not, but if he is, he's so far to the right that he makes Limbaugh and Hannity look like Michael Moore.

I don't really see much harm in talk radio. Like anything else, they're just preaching to the choir. It's not like someone is going to tune into Rush Limbaugh tomorrow and all of a sudden believe that Obama is a racist, because they probably already believed that long before they heard it from Limbaugh. At the end of the day, we're all ideologues of one form or another, so that's why I think Limbaugh and Hannity have such a large audience.

One thing I've always wondered is how and why it is that talk radio became such a successful outlet for conservative and right wing commentators, but such a failure for the left. For decades now, talk radio has been dominated by Republicans or those on the right, while liberal efforts put forth by Air America, Al Franken, and such have been epic failures.

[quote name='spmahn']One thing I've always wondered is how and why it is that talk radio became such a successful outlet for conservative and right wing commentators, but such a failure for the left. For decades now, talk radio has been dominated by Republicans or those on the right, while liberal efforts put forth by Air America, Al Franken, and such have been epic failures.[/QUOTE]
Herding liberals is like herding cats. The differences in our individual agendas can be vast. Conservatives are simple and similarly positioned most of the the time. 90% of the time their position is status quo. It's easy to coalesce around that and easy to demonize those that want reform as "radicals", etc.

[quote name='spmahn']One thing I've always wondered is how and why it is that talk radio became such a successful outlet for conservative and right wing commentators, but such a failure for the left. For decades now, talk radio has been dominated by Republicans or those on the right, while liberal efforts put forth by Air America, Al Franken, and such have been epic failures.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that the demographic for talk radio is skewed by age. Older = more conservative, simply enough.

That having been said, where do liberal commentators of any stripe find parity with conservatives? Conservatives win if you look at cable tv ratings (unless you buy into the "liberal media" myth). MSNBC is the "Air America" of cable news (let's be frank, the only news channel w/ genuinely liberal commentators, from Ed Schultz to the Olbermann/Maddow duo), and FOX News is the powerhouse. So it's not just relegated to the radio either.

So it seems like nobody's really a fan, but they are listening for entertainment value? come on, somebody's got to be a real fan.

It's awful when people try to compare FOX commentators with Maddow or even Olbermann. I have yet to see anyone effectively argue how they are in any way comparable.

[quote name='shosh']So it seems like nobody's really a fan, but they are listening for entertainment value? come on, somebody's got to be a real fan.[/QUOTE]
I've got 6 or 7 family members that are huge Rush and Medved fans.

[quote name='speedracer']I've got 6 or 7 family members that are huge Rush and Medved fans.[/QUOTE]
6 or 7 of your family members need help.

About Beck: The sad truth is , I'm pretty sure he suffers from Histrionic Personality Disorder (HPD) He's not "stupid", just prone to excess. But if he sought some help out and dealt with his traumatic childhood, he'd be a much happier individual.

I have to listen to Rush all day long at work with my partner. :bomb: He's a radical son of a bitch, and can go a bit overboard, but overall, most of the stuff he says is actually right. There's little things here and there I disagree with, and maybe a few key issues, but other than that, I like him.

Yes, I realize that everybody will now flame me. Go ahead. I'm just speaking my opinion. As a hard working person, there's no other side I could take but the conservative side.

So that would imply that we are a bunch of lazy ass do nothings since we aren't conservative?

Yeah, liberals are by definition lazy, and they're always looking to get a handout from the government. Arrest your own drug dealers you liberal fucks.

Yeah when Rush said healthcare = reparations that was completely 100% right. When he said there was no recession in 2008 that was 100% correct.

I love talk radio and I am a conservative by definition but Rush Limbaugh I cannot stand. He is a troll who riles up his audience so they suck more at his tit for "the truth".

My favorite talk radio is Tim Conway Jr. (LA and syndicated) and John and Ken (LA and SF). Both of them try to stay local in terms of politics and that's where it mostly matters.

[quote name='Magehart']Tim Conway Jr.[/QUOTE]

apple1.jpg

junior?

[quote name='Clak']So that would imply that we are a bunch of lazy ass do nothings since we aren't conservative?[/QUOTE]

No, not really. But let me ask you a question. (Serious question here, not sarcasm.) As a hard working person, how do you feel about many of the liberal ideas to give your hard earned money to the "less fortunate"? I don't know about you, but if I work hard and get ahead, I want to keep my damn money. I don't need to be penalized with more taxes for making more money than other people.

[quote name='Access_Denied']No, not really. But let me ask you a question. (Serious question here, not sarcasm.) As a hard working person, how do you feel about many of the liberal ideas to give your hard earned money to the "less fortunate"? I don't know about you, but if I work hard and get ahead, I want to keep my damn money. I don't need to be penalized with more taxes for making more money than other people.[/QUOTE]

The other side of the coin is starting unnecessary wars, creating police state organizations such as the Department of Homeland Security and handing over my hard earned money in corporate welfare.

Meanwhile, neither side maintains infrastructure (ie. bridges), pushes ideas that ensure our survival (ie. alternative energy or social program solvency) or does anything inspiring (ie. establishing a permanent colony on the Moon or exploring Mars).

bread's done
Back