CAGcast #208: C*********s 101

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Lonesteban, Producer at Grasshopper Manufacture, joins the gang for a discussion on his job, ethics in game blogging, Dragon Quest IX, the latest gaming and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

[podcast]117[/podcast]
Download - 91 minutes, 56MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Microsoft WILL ban people who resort to it. If you remember there was a glitch involving a soccer game last year (I want to say it was FIFA) that allowed people to get free DLC from the marketplace. Everyone who got DLC for free from that glitch got banned (although I don't know if it was temporary or permanent).

Another problem I have with this situation is that now people will try this method with different game combinations. I believe a slippery slope has been started, and while it may not lead to anything, it very well could.

Also, the biggest "New IP" this generation is Wii _____. I believe each game in the series has sold between a ton and 'holy hell, that's a lot'!

Last edited by a moderator:
Esteban was dead on when he said that the ultimate team seemed like a facebook game, because it was developed by a facebook game developer.

Right after EA purchased playfish, the ultimate team stuff started to be patched into EA's biggest sports titles. Not only that, but on facebook you can play FIFA Superstars which literally is the same thing as FIFA ultimate team except with simmed matches instead of player controlled matches.

So if you want to play some FIFA ultimate team, and see how the ultimate team system works, just go here.

Kudos on the show, guys. I took my copy of Raiden Fighters Aces and looked at the credits to see if Esteban's name was in it. With that said, thanks to Esteban for bringing this under-appreciated franchise to the current generation of consoles, or at least for having some sort of role in bringing this compilation to America.

My thoughts on your ethics discussion: I'm a big fan of arcade, fighting, and old school games, and I must say I was really bummed to see this covered on Kotaku and Joystiq. Hopefully, everyone who downloaded those titles will get banned from Xbox Live. As someone who grew up playing most of their games in the arcade, I must say it is sad to see the sudden spike that company took and how they've been struggling to stay out there for the last ten years or so. Not only this affects their remuneration, but also the quality of their products. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the issues with their last year's big release were related to their inability to make a profit out of one of their most important IPs. Yeah, I might be a huge nerd, but I do wonder what could happen if those companies who cater to a more niche market (like the one involved in this glitch) barely managed to keep their sales numbers at an acceptable level. They're already at a disadvantage, especially now where everything seems to be geared towards a more "casual" audience, and it is upsetting to see this company having to deal with this when they're already having a hard time making ends meet.

As menikmati said, my respects and admiration to you guys for making an exemplary statement and speaking your minds about what's fair in this not-so-fair business. Thanks for always taking the higher road when dealing with such delicate issues.

Good show so far!

I really want to check out Monday Night Combat, but I have so many games still to finish that. (I've just now gotten around to Limbo.) Maybe I'll get around to Lara Croft by the time they patch the online multiplayer!

Thank the Gods for this one. My normal radio show is on vacation and I've been dying for something to listen to while at work.

Another thing I'd say about the XBLA glitch is that when a casual user sees something like that on a legitimate site, it makes them think it's an okay thing to do. The people who pirate games are going to do so regardless, but putting info like this on legitimate sites makes the more law-abiding gamer think it's not against the rules. It'd be like going to Gamestop and seeing a pirated copy of a game on the shelf.

You'd also think somewhere like Kotaku and Joystiq would have more respect for their readers than to show them how to do something with possible major repercussions like getting banned. Common sense should prevail, but there is a certain amount of trust people place in these kind of sites. If you saw an article "How to level up faster in RDR" on Joystiq and were interested in that game, you'd probably follow what they said without realizing that they're telling you how to exploit a glitch and could possibly get your account suspended or banned. Pretty irresponsible of them to not at least mention "by the way, this is a glitch and may get you banned from Xbox Live so do not attempt."

DUDE, seriously, listening to this now, and WHAT's with all the food eating and plate clanging?! I thought you ran a professional shop here Cheapy?! I swear I heard you opening a food bag or some shit, eating/talking with a full mouth and then putting a plate away!

But seriously, that ish is crazy distracting and a lil irksome.

The thing that annoys me the most about the joystiq article is this: Justin McElroy appeared on the CagCast questioning the ethics of sites that send people to cover events like captivate in Hawaii, and yet the site he works for publishes a story on how to pirate 5 video games from xbox live. I don't get it, how one site can view sending people to cover an event in hawaii as a free vacation and unethical, but posting a news story and linking to a site that tells you specifically how to pirate games is ok. The ethics of this are just baffling.

With kotaku I understand, because gawker media in general has no ethics. Joystiq however, should have known better.

Just an FYI on the Xbox Live demo glitch. It DOESN'T permanently unlock the games. Without saying too much, once the Demo is patched, essentially the door will be closed.

I feel like Shipwreck would enjoy SC2. There really isn't any reason to hate it, unless you watched the commercials and expected a FPS. There was an article on IGN written by some guy who despises RTS, and he seemed to really enjoy the single player. On the easiest difficulty, the enemies shoot blanks at you, so there really isn't any difficulty to worry about.

I've listening to the CAGCast for quite a while now and I appreciate the work you do. However, I didn't enjoy this episode for some odd reason, it could have been the talk about Vagina's. Anyway this was a weird episode in my opinion.

I found myself enjoying Castlevania HD for some reason. I beat Demon's Souls last month, so I think that may have something to do with it. You're expected to die and retry levels, but you generally get stronger each time and get access to new weapons/abilities/spells etc. The reviews for the game have been pretty mixed.

Speaking about games with grinding, I've put over 24 hours in Dragon Quest IX, and I think I'm close to the games' end. Unfortunately, I've had some trouble with the current boss, so I may have to do some leveling in the meantime.

I skimmed through the comments on Joystiq, and most people there didn't seem to take issue with the Xbox Live/SNK glitch story being published. I did find this quote from the article a bit ironic:

Joystiq tested the exploit with Garou and KOF '98, and can verify that it works...just because you can get these games for free doesn't mean you aren't a major jerk for doing so.

So Joystiq just admitted to being full of jerks? o_O

Anyway, ever since CheapyD's appearance on Flower, Sun, and Podcast I started listening to it regularly. I really enjoyed Killer 7 :twoguns: and No More Heroes, so it's nice to have Esteban on the show. Too bad the only way to play Fatal Frame 4 is to import the game and do some softmodding stuff. :bomb:

I liked Esteban on this CAGcast. I also enjoyed the call-in show a few episodes ago with the woman from Bioware - loving the fact that game developers, publishers, and everyone else in the industry is reaching out to the ever-expanding game community.

On original IP: there seems to be a lot more experimental IP from mainstream publishers on portable systems than there is on the other consoles. Half-Minute Hero and Scribblenauts comes to mind.

Also, second the commuting power of Dragon Quest IX: the worst part of my workday is now the most fun part :)

awesome show. the last 2 (or however many since the catalyst for kazoo) have felt pretty flat. not sure what it was but to me the chemistry/banter felt a little off and sometimes forced. in this episode it really sounded like you guys were having a good time recording. maybe it was the addition Esteban or just that cheapy had someone physically there to keep him focused (for the most part :), but all in all it worked for me. thanks for the show and website.

Estaban was great. I believe he was in the room as Cheapy, no? I wish the guys would've given him a little more room to talk (**ahem Wombat**). He had some great points that we haven't heard 10 times before (**ahem Wombat** ;)

Is anyone really surprised about Joystiq? At it's root, it's a blog not some bastion of journalistic integrity (despite how they act).

Alright so check this out, Cheapy. Today's guest and you winning that Saint's Row 3 auction got me thinking...

When Child's Play charity roles around this coming holiday season why not throw in an auction for a guest spot on the CAGcast.

This was the third cagcast in a row where Wombat made some comment suggesting that he’d slept with an outstandingly large amount of women back in his single days. Please stop it. It’s creepy.

[quote name='Dr Killotron']This was the third cagcast in a row where Wombat made some comment suggesting that he’d slept with an outstandingly large amount of women back in his single days. Please stop it. It’s creepy.[/QUOTE]

I read that as "outstandingly large women". :lol:

[quote name='apathylad']I read that as "outstandingly large women". :lol:[/QUOTE]

that is also probably closer to the truth

While I do agree that showing your readers exactly how to get the games that Modern Warfare 2 unlocked, I believe that the story was newsworthy. One of my fellow editors over at our site published an article about it, but did not link to anything that would describe how to unlock the games. He also hoped that it would be resolved quickly, and that the company does not need to be losing any money especially in the situation they are in.

On the contrary to this, having to explain myself makes me feel unsure about whether or not what we did was right. Despite this I'm still going to stand by the post and not have it deleted.

Also, this article was clearly visible in my blog, on the front page of the blogs. Why was it not deleted? I'm just curious as to why threads about it were deleted, but not my blog. Does this further prove how little the blogs are checked, lol?

Anyway, great show once again. Shipwreck needs to go play Starcraft 2!

Good show, kept me sane this morning during the 2 hour drive to work. I thought Esteban was one of the best guest on CAG. He really fit in with the crowd and really opened my mind up about Japanese girls. Apparently, Japanese girls like Mexican guys and that is good news. Now I understand why Esteban works for Grasshopper, he must go through tons of bushes on a daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you guys feel the same way about the glitch story, if amazon or other site accidentally put a game for sale @ $.01 and was honoring the sales would cag not run the story?

First of all i would like to say i love eating hamburgers and playing basketball. I do love my Japanese games especially their RPG, but i don't think i enjoy Castlevania HD simply because it Japanese made. Castlevania HD doesn't even have a story and what i like most about Japanese games are their crazy ass storyline. I'm just a Castlevania Fan i love the art work and all of the Old School & DS games.

So when i heard i could play a 6 player Co-oP Castlevania game i was hype. i knew it wasn't going to be the best Castlevania game from the beginning with just 6 stages and a 15 dollar price tag, but i'm enjoying it, it not too hard to level up your sub-weapons and easy enough to dodge enemies simply by just learning their pattern.

P.S Japanese Girls are Nicer then White Girls it's a Known FACT! :lol:

[quote name='reg0later']Would you guys feel the same way about the glitch story, if amazon or other site accidentally put a game for sale @ $.01 and was honoring the sales would cag not run the story?[/QUOTE]

We absolutely don't frontpage glitch sales and we often contact the retailers if a thread in the deals forum has a sale that doesn't seem on the up & up.

@RichardJ I edited your blog post to remove the story. It's simply a case of us not seeing it. We can't read everything.

I also enjoyed the guest on the show...

I seriously think Shipwreck should get Starcraft 2 as well, and give it a fair shake - the single player campaign is just so much fun. If I remember correctly shipwreck really liked some Robopocalypse DS game that I think was somewhat of an RTS.

Also add me to the list of huge fans of Raiden Fighter Aces.

Awesome, i just downloaded this and I'll catch a listen later on. It'll be nice to hear Esteban on the CAGcast since I've been listening to Flower, Rain, And Podcast now that i know it exists! :lol:

[quote name='kashwashwa']I also enjoyed the guest on the show...

I seriously think Shipwreck should get Starcraft 2 as well, and give it a fair shake - the single player campaign is just so much fun. If I remember correctly shipwreck really liked some Robopocalypse DS game that I think was somewhat of an RTS.

Also add me to the list of huge fans of Raiden Fighter Aces.[/QUOTE]

That's right, I did like Robocalypse. That was about my top speed on RTS. Starcraft 2 is going to be enjoyable then?

[quote name='shipwreck']That's right, I did like Robocalypse. That was about my top speed on RTS. Starcraft 2 is going to be enjoyable then?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you mean Robocalypse had as much difficulty / 'multi-tasking' as you wanted to do?...

By the looks of it it's a pretty stripped down RTS, but Starcraft 2 is by no means overwhelming (If you play on easy in particular you can pretty much walk through the campaign - Normal is definitely a perfect balance I find). In particular though, there are a number of levels where you control just several units for the entire mission which are extremely creative and fun.

I can't say for certain SC2 is going to be enjoyable for you, but as someone who isn't a huge RTS person - after having played it - I know the game just isn't something I would have wanted to miss.

The vagina talk feels somewhat refreshing since the past CAGcasts have been all about poop. :LOL:

Esteban: "I have an S&M site."
Cheapy: "Really?!"

I can't believe Cheapy fell for it twice.

All in all, it was a good show.

bread's done
Back