Rare/valuable Wii games

Lone_Prodigy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
Does anyone have any suggestions for rare and/or valuable Wii games? I suppose for the purposes of this thread "valuable" will mean "well-received" and "fetches a significant amount on eBay considering the age and condition of the game". The term "significant" is ambigious: maybe $50 or so?

At this point it may be too early to tell what the rarest Wii games are, but I thought I'd better get started before those games actually fetch a premium price. It was pretty hard for me to track down some of the rarer Gamecube games at a reasonable price a couple years back (I started late).

So I'll start with a few (feel free to add/comment to the list):

Metroid Prime Trilogy
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Warioware Smooth Moves
Muramasa (doesn't seem that rare/expensive on eBay, but I can't find any in stores besides Blockbuster at $50 and EB/GS for $38 used)
Okami (not that rare/expensive on eBay, but it took months before I found it at an EB)
Tales of Symphonia DotNW

(prices noted are in Canadian dollars)

Muramasa is $20 or less from amazon or meijer. There is a thread here about it and someone made a comment it was out of print, but I don't see it as being rare or valuable yet.

okami is $15 at amazon.

I just bought Super Paper Mario from a guy on Craigslist for $15. Thats sorta rare... or I so I've heard.

I own every single game the OP listed. I also own Zack & Wiki, and Super Paper Mario.

I make sure to only buy top notch quality Wii titles, I also have great ones like Baroque and Tournament of Legends.

None of those games (One Piece being an exception) are really "rare". They are readily available for reasonable prices. Metroid Prime Trilogy is pricey but it's not hard to track down.

Muramasa is 20$ at Gamestop bought it a couple days ago.

The only one I haven't seen that was mentioned here was One Peice
[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Does anyone have any suggestions for rare and/or valuable Wii games? I suppose for the purposes of this thread "valuable" will mean "well-received" and "fetches a significant amount on eBay considering the age and condition of the game". The term "significant" is ambigious: maybe $50 or so?

At this point it may be too early to tell what the rarest Wii games are, but I thought I'd better get started before those games actually fetch a premium price. It was pretty hard for me to track down some of the rarer Gamecube games at a reasonable price a couple years back (I started late).

So I'll start with a few (feel free to add/comment to the list):

Metroid Prime Trilogy
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Warioware Smooth Moves
Muramasa (doesn't seem that rare/expensive on eBay, but I can't find any in stores besides Blockbuster at $50 and EB/GS for $38 used)
Okami (not that rare/expensive on eBay, but it took months before I found it at an EB)
Tales of Symphonia DotNW

(prices noted are in Canadian dollars)[/QUOTE]

It's funny to see how much difference crossing the border makes. Canadians don't have nearly the same pricing or selection available that Americans do.

That said, isn't the topic about Wii games that you should buy before they become too rare and expensive to start collecting? So being cheap now is a good thing!

I'd consider adding Atlus games: the Trauma Center/Team series, Baroque, and Dokapon Kingdom. Atlaus stuff seems to have a small but dedicated fanbase, and often disappears after going out of print. The only question is whether there will be enough demand to drive up prices for those games anyway, since they are all niche titles.

Endless Ocean saw a nice jump in value once it was out of print. The release of the sequel affected that, but maybe buying Endless Ocean 2 while it is still available is a good idea.

The only other game that comes to mind is Little King's Story. It's a great game, but sold so poorly that I can't imagine it will be easy to find in a couple years time. Buying now when it's cheap and easy to find is a great idea.

[quote name='ejamer']It's funny to see how much difference crossing the border makes. Canadians don't have nearly the same pricing or selection available that Americans do.

That said, isn't the topic about Wii games that you should buy before they become too rare and expensive to start collecting? So being cheap now is a good thing!

I'd consider adding Atlus games: the Trauma Center/Team series, Baroque, and Dokapon Kingdom. Atlaus stuff seems to have a small but dedicated fanbase, and often disappears after going out of print. The only question is whether there will be enough demand to drive up prices for those games anyway, since they are all niche titles.

Endless Ocean saw a nice jump in value once it was out of print. The release of the sequel affected that, but maybe buying Endless Ocean 2 while it is still available is a good idea.

The only other game that comes to mind is Little King's Story. It's a great game, but sold so poorly that I can't imagine it will be easy to find in a couple years time. Buying now when it's cheap and easy to find is a great idea.[/QUOTE]

Buying a game now in hopes it'll be rare/valuable in the future is not really the best idea considering the fact that reprints happen so often now and that just because a game is obscure doesn't mean it's worthwhile or will be valuable. The PS2 has tons of games with small print runs that have little to no demand, and most of the the ones that were rare and costly (Rez and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, for example) were reprinted which diminished any collector's value.

[quote name='Rozz']Buying a game now in hopes it'll be rare/valuable in the future is not really the best idea considering the fact that reprints happen so often now and that just because a game is obscure doesn't mean it's worthwhile or will be valuable. The PS2 has tons of games with small print runs that have little to no demand, and most of the the ones that were rare and costly (Rez and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, for example) were reprinted which diminished any collector's value.[/QUOTE]

That depends on why you're buying it, though... to me, the OP seems like someone who is more interested in being able to pick them up cheaply now for a collection, as opposed to trying to track them after they're *really* valuable. I don't think the 'value' has much to do with it.

Yeah I'm not really interested in keeping them sealed forever and hope their value goes way up. I just want to be able to add it to my backlog cheaply so when I finally get around to them in a few years' time I don't have to spend more money and time acquiring it.

I know eBay and Goozex makes things easier, but I don't really like buying (used) online because I'm not sure of the condition. And like ejamer said, Canada is vastly different from the US when it comes to selection and pricing.

[quote name='007']That depends on why you're buying it, though... to me, the OP seems like someone who is more interested in being able to pick them up cheaply now for a collection, as opposed to trying to track them after they're *really* valuable. I don't think the 'value' has much to do with it.[/QUOTE]

That is one of the points I was trying to make. You shouldn't worry about having to purchase a game now for fear of it going up later because often when that happens it is reprinted (thus, making it common to find in stores) and is brought down to a reasonable price. Hell, games like WarioWare Smooth Moves and Zack and Wiki actually went down in value over the past few months.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with what the OP is doing. But there's really no need to panic about it either. You shouldn't just buy a game solely for the purpose of it potentially becoming rare; but if he wanted to try these anyway then it might be a good idea to pick them up.

I understand what you are saying, and mostly agree. Games are a terrible "investment" and there is a constant stream of new releases and reprints being made available. So missing a good game when it first comes out isn't that bad.

On the other hand, I don't think that assuming a reprint will be available later is reasonable. For every good game that gets a reprint, there are a handful that don't - and gamers have very little say in the matter. Sometimes it's because of licensing, or changes in the market, or just because nobody in the business is really passionate to get it done. There are also edge cases like New Play Control Pikmin 2 where a reprint exists but might not be released in some regions.

So if you want a game that is affordable and available now, I think it's worth buying even if you won't play that game immediately. Questions like this one just help to prioritize which games should be purchased first.

Oh, and I thought of another game for the list: Ghostbusters. I know it's not the best game ever, but it's fun and offers decent fan service. Reprints might be tough because of the attached license, so it's a good game to grab for cheap now if you are a big fan of the movies.

[quote name='bjstucker']Muramasa is 20$ at Gamestop bought it a couple days ago.[/QUOTE]

Seems like a good Goozex flip - of course I say that because I'm in line waiting for a copy and not willing to pay the $40+tax prices in Canada...
;)

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']One Piece Unlimited Adventure[/QUOTE]

If there is a hard to find game or rare for the wii its this one. I bought it on ebay when it first came out for $35. I just wish the US would have gotten the sequel. ='(

[quote name='skiizim']If there is a hard to find game or rare for the wii its this one. I bought it on ebay when it first came out for $35. I just wish the US would have gotten the sequel. ='([/QUOTE]It was so hard to get a copy for myself, but man do I love this game.

I'm importing both unlimited cruise games from the UK, but they harsh cost a pretty penny :drool:

[quote name='maigoyume']It was so hard to get a copy for myself, but man do I love this game.

I'm importing both unlimited cruise games from the UK, man they cost a pretty penny :drool:[/QUOTE]

For a while there were some copies of Unlimited Cruise Vol. 1 floating around ebay that were located in Australia. They were much cheaper than the average UK copy, around $35 shipped, but they all seem to be gone now. I was an idiot for not buying one.

Anyway, the only Wii game that is truly rare is One Piece: Unlimited Adventure. Others that I'd call uncommon/somewhat rare are Kororinpa: Marble Mania, Star Trek: Conquest, and Ultimate Duck Hunting with this cover art. Regardless of price, anything else is just jacked up on hype or is Nintendo 1st party, which should be self-explanatory ;)

[quote name='fwbweux']For a while there were some copies of Unlimited Cruise Vol. 1 floating around ebay that were located in Australia. They were much cheaper than the average UK copy, around $35 shipped, but they all seem to be gone now. I was an idiot for not buying one.

Anyway, the only Wii game that is truly rare is One Piece: Unlimited Adventure. Others that I'd call uncommon/somewhat rare are Kororinpa: Marble Mania, Star Trek: Conquest, and Ultimate Duck Hunting with this cover art. Regardless of price, anything else is just jacked up on hype or is Nintendo 1st party, which should be self-explanatory ;)[/QUOTE]I saw those too, but I thought they'd be still around, stupid move :wall:

I already picked up episode 2, episode 1 is damn near impossible to get/find at a good price

I should get Vol. 2 while it's still sub-$50 on ebay. Vol. 1 I might just splurge on when I have the extra cash (it's kind of justifiable since I'd actually play it instead of just shelving it as a collectible), but I hate the idea of paying $80+ for any Wii game, especially when I could have had it for less than half that at one time.

Do you post at Arlong Park at all? As a last ditch resort there's a marketplace thread there and someone in the UK or Australia might be willing to find or part with a used copy for under ebay price if you ask. I thought about trying this myself but I doubted anything would come of it.

[quote name='fwbweux']I should get Vol. 2 while it's still sub-$50 on ebay. Vol. 1 I might just splurge on when I have the extra cash (it's kind of justifiable since I'd actually play it instead of just shelving it as a collectible), but I hate the idea of paying $80+ for any Wii game, especially when I could have had it for less than half that at one time.

Do you post at Arlong Park at all? As a last ditch resort there's a marketplace thread there and someone in the UK or Australia might be willing to find or part with a used copy for under ebay price if you ask. I thought about trying this myself but I doubted anything would come of it.[/QUOTE]I actually got my copy for about $38 USD shipped from the UK. I've tasked a buddy of mine in Holland to help me look for episode 1, figured it was worth a shot. And no I'm not registered on that forum, I have perused it on occasion though.

My local Gamestop has a copy of Unlimited Adventure, but doesn't really seem worth it to flip (Costs $25, flip for $45-50).

If anyone really wants me to pick it up and ship to them for cost+shipping+a few dollars for gas / time, let me know in this thread.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']My local Gamestop has a copy of Unlimited Adventure, but doesn't really seem worth it to flip (Costs $25, flip for $45-50).

If anyone really wants me to pick it up and ship to them for cost+shipping+a few dollars for gas / time, let me know in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I might be interested, shot you a PM.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']My local Gamestop has a copy of Unlimited Adventure, but doesn't really seem worth it to flip (Costs $25, flip for $45-50).

If anyone really wants me to pick it up and ship to them for cost+shipping+a few dollars for gas / time, let me know in this thread.[/QUOTE]

One Piece used to be $20 used (about what $18 after edge and depending on where you live tax).

That was a nice flip. I sold a minty one for $55ish. I picked one up at a blockbuster for $5 and found another one at another BB for $15. :)

Honestly I'm surprised that GS hasn't jacked the price even higher considering that they really went crazy on the prices of a few other games that have high ebay values recently (Tales of the Abyss went from $30 to $45 within a few months, for instance.) Because of this, whether you're looking to flip, collect, or play, if any of you reading this are lucky enough to have one near you now is your best chance to get your hands on a copy.

Now for braggart bastard time. I took this picture last winter:

102_1243.png

And before I get accused of being El Hoardo, let me explain ;) The one in the middle is sealed and is my collection copy. One of the open ones is a play copy, and the third went to ebay just about as soon as it was purchased. Got all three within the span of about two weeks and never saw any ever again, so I can vouch for its rarity (at least within 100 miles of Cincinnati, YMMV elsewhere :lol:)

I wonder if any of the bundles/special editions are hard to find. Conduit special edition, Monster Hunter CCPro/CC+WiiSpeak bundle, Cursed Mountain steelbook.

[quote name='Ed_']I just picked up two sealed copies of MP Trilogy for $25 each from the local game store :cool:[/QUOTE]

You SON OF A BITCH! :D

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Hmm maybe I should rename the thread to "hard to find Wii games".

Boy and his Blob
de Blob[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KingBroly']Zack & Wiki[/QUOTE]

Not rare, worth anything, or hard to find.

A Boy and His Blob is consistently like $12 to $15 on Amazon - new.

de Blob sat on Target's (and other stores') $19.99 and under section for a couple of years and if you can't find it new as a "value" title, its easily available used.

And while Zack & Wiki is definitely hard to find new for a non-jacked-up price, its easy found for used for reasonable prices across the internet - in fact its $14 in complete condition from Amazon Warehouse at the moment.

If anyone's interested, I did a listing for One Piece Unlimited Adventure on Ebay should be running until Sunday.
Other than that, I want to say that I don't see Geometry Wars: Galaxies as much a I did for a couple of years. Pop'n Music is relatively easy to find in the US, but it's almost nonexistent in Canada (It was seriously not in the EB Canada database when I visited Toronto last month).

I don't really know how rare it is, but games like Fire Emblem and Wario Ware: Smooth Moves seem to go for a good chunk of change.

I could be wrong though. I was looking for Fire Emblem and could not find it anywhere new for under the $50 MSRP. I know the game's 3 years old and everything, but you would have thought that the game was worth gold.

[quote name='katamaris4ever']... Pop'n Music is relatively easy to find in the US, but it's almost nonexistent in Canada (It was seriously not in the EB Canada database when I visited Toronto last month).[/QUOTE]

There are a number of games like this - not particularly valuable or rare, but just extremely hard to find in Canada.

I've been casually looking for Word Jong Party for ages and haven't even seen an actual copy yet in retail stores, but it sells for about $8 new (or $6 used) at GameStop in the US without too much difficulty finding copies. Order Up! is another example.

Geometry Wars is usually cheap if you can find copies, and well worth buying. It's just being lucky enough to actually find the game on a shelf somewhere.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Hmm maybe I should rename the thread to "hard to find Wii games".

Boy and his Blob
de Blob[/QUOTE]
A couple of my Walmarts have Boy & his Blob marked down to $15. That's where I got mine.
I bought my Muramasa for $20 at Kmart.
I have been kicking myself for trading in Warioware: SM.
Time to hit the pawn shops.

I think the only two that seem to be expensive are WarioWare Smooth Moves and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. I have the latter but not the former. I think everything else can be had for a reasonable price or is still out on the open market.

Now, if we're talking DS games on the other hand.... :D

Some rares that have not been mentioned are

Endless Ocean the First one
Kororinapa: Marble Saga also the first one.

Good luck finding a sealed copy of Kororinpa that will fetch you a hefty price.

Looking at valuable games via http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/console/wii

Metroid Prime Trilogy $63.71
Zumba Fitness $60.00 (probably temporary supply issues)
One Piece Unlimited Adventure $59.99
Godzilla Unleashed $38.00

Those are the only games that stick out. Mario Brothers 25 Anniversary Collection may fetch over It's MSRP of $30 depending on how everything pans out. Multiple sites were OOS not taking anymore pre-orders but right now It's readily available.

The first Endless Ocean wasn't quite rare but was hard to find. Once the sequel dropped, the first is easily found used for about $20ish. Definitely not rare and not even hard to find at this point.

I hope all of the speculation about Mario All-Stars on Wii blows up in these idiots faces buying 8 copies. I couldn't justify paying $30 for a game I already have on SNES and already have the 8 bit versions of on VC simply because it came with a small booklet with Mario history and a CD I'd never listen to.

I seriously doubt Mario All-Stars on Wii will ever fetch double its price open. Maybe sealed, 5 to 10 years from now.

Another game that hasn't been mentioned in the thread is Formula One 2009. Apparently it was a Gamestop Exclusive, you can find it
used there for $18 but fetches quite a bit on ebay for the rest of you that care about that stuff or trade it in for $26.75 on Amazon.

[quote name='Sarang01']I believe "Cursed Mountain" LE will become quite valuable.

I think the game itself will likely end up becoming a cult classic.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'm not too sure about that. Given that the LE has literally been available multiple times over the past year for between $10-20, I'd say it'll be a real long time before it'd be worth anything. I literally picked it up from Amazon for $14.99 a year ago, and it's cropped up other places for even less.

Cursed Mountain is just so under the radar that I think it will hurt the value... the people who would seek it out likely already have, and I can't see many others suddenly going 'I NEED THIS NOW'. The fact that it's on the Wii has, and will continue to, hurt it. I just don't forsee a market of people seeking it out.

Maybe $30-40, tops. I'd even question whether it makes it to the low-end of that.

Mario Super Sluggers, as I've found out, is expensive sealed. Only available from 3rd party scalpers on amazon and pretty much no where else. My kid wants that game for xmas too. I did order a used copy from wherehouse.com using a coupon and getting a reasonable price for a used copy (allegedly complete), but then came to find out that their shipping is 1 to 3 weeks. I wish they'd made that clear. :(

[quote name='Rozz']None of those games (One Piece being an exception) are really "rare". They are readily available for reasonable prices. Metroid Prime Trilogy is pricey but it's not hard to track down.[/QUOTE]

Kmart across the street from work has probably 12 copies of that (MPT) for retail that have gone unsold for a long time. I'm still holding out for clearance. If it never goes on clearance I guess I won't be getting it. I'll live.

[quote name='Rozz']None of those games (One Piece being an exception) are really "rare". They are readily available for reasonable prices. Metroid Prime Trilogy is pricey but it's not hard to track down.[/QUOTE]

Kmart across the street from work has probably 12 copies of that for retail that have gone unsold for a long time. I'm still holding out for clearance. If it never goes on clearance I guess I won't be getting it. I'll live.

Neither the regular edition or the LE of Cursed Mountain will be worth much in the short or medium run. The regular version was just $4 shipped on Amazon a week or two ago (the seller had about 3 copies though). I picked up the LE for like $7 a few months ago.

There's also really no market for it. The game is way too obscure to gain a following that would lead to it going up in value.

I'm not convinced the Wii has any truly rare games. Closest thing I see right now is Mario All-Stars, but even that is merely a reprint of a decades old SNES game with no real bonuses outside a barebones soundtrack disc and a booklet with some comments on old games.

Muramasa is not rare and won't be. The HD version is available on XBOX Live and PSN (I believe) which makes the SD Wii version out of date and, well, not rare. It's the hardcore enthusiasts that drive prices up and since they have access to a better version, Muramasa on the Wii is unlikely to hold any value beyond its current MSRP of $15-20.

The Wii being such a mass-market console, it makes it much harder to say any game on it can be rare because the games are published in such large numbers. That and the fact that the hardcore community has not really picked up on the Wii make even its lowly published games undesirable because the vast bulk of these games absolutely suck (after all, we're not talking about excellent overlooked games like those from the PS2 era here).

From a collector's standpoint, the PS3 and 360 are much more likely to have the rare, value-growing games -- though admittedly, this generation, the very notion of rare seems more like a marketing gimmick that has pretty much no meaning.

There are rare Wii games.

Try finding a copy of WarioWare Smooth Moves, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Paper Mario, or really even Pokemon Battle Revolution from anywhere that's complete and in good shape for a good price.

PLENTY of Wii games are rare. The only people I can really see that would say there aren't any rare games for the console would be collectors hoping to stop people from buying games they want to get and resell, or idiots.

EVERY console has its rare games. It doesn't matter whether a console sells 1 copy or 100 million copies. Plenty of games will be produced in short supply to where they become valuable.

bread's done
Back