Red Steel 2 (game only) - $12.99 w/FS @ NewEgg.com

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
EDIT: This game does require Motion+, and the item below doesn't come with one. If you already have Motion+ for your Wii, then you're good to go. If you don't, then you need to either buy the bundled version or buy a Motion+ stand-alone item.

Found this while on NewEgg. Game-only (no Motion+ accessory bundled) for $12.99 with free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878147184

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure whether to pick this up. I have some interest in the game, mostly for its art design and the fact that it's a Motionplus game. It didn't exactly get glowing reviews, but $13 is a good price.

Ordered this when I saw it on SD this morning. I already have the motion plus, so $13 (no tax and fs) sounds good to me.

Thanks for posting this. Just picked up a copy. I'll borrow a motion plus from the office.

Ordered one too -- have a motion plus hanging around that I haven't used outside of Wii Sports resort, so it will be nice to try it out.

Sweet, in for one. I was looking for a deal on the Red Steel 2 bundle to pick up an extra MotionPlus attachment, but this is cheap enough that I could just buy the MP separately if I wanted to.

Excellent, thanks. Been waiting for this myself.
Didn't get good reviews? Metacritic = 80 from 73 critics, 8.8 from 126 user ratings. That's pretty decent, especially for what it is (semi-niche motionplus game)...

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah just remember Motion Plus is required to play it at all.[/QUOTE]
Well that killed the deal.

I'm in no hurry now.

damn, nice looking out Shrike, that is a pretty solid price if you already have motion+

why do you guys think this game tanked so fast in price? It didn't get horrible reviews or anything..I really enjoyed the first one, but maybe that was b/c it was the honeymoon period w/ the Wii..

[quote name='token2k6']damn, nice looking out Shrike, that is a pretty solid price if you already have motion+

why do you guys think this game tanked so fast in price? It didn't get horrible reviews or anything..I really enjoyed the first one, but maybe that was b/c it was the honeymoon period w/ the Wii..[/QUOTE]

According to Wikipedia, sales were likely below expectations.

Ubisoft originally expected to sell 1 million copies of Red Steel 2, but after poor sales of their game Avatar, they slashed their sales predictions in half. According to Jason VendenBerghe at his keynote speech at the 2010 European game developers conference, Red Steel 2 has sold approximately 270,000 copies worldwide.

This looks entertaining to me, and I actually have 2 motionplus things (got the resort bundle that came with two of them), so if this is still available after my officemates leave (since I need to pull out my credit card, which would make it obvious I'm not working at the moment), I'm in for 1.

Hmm, on the one hand, this seems like an interesting game for a good price and, I already have motion plus that's just gathering dust. On the other hand, there's this big backlog looming over me...

[quote name='timobkg']Hmm, on the one hand, this seems like an interesting game for a good price and, I already have motion plus that's just gathering dust. On the other hand, there's this big backlog looming over me...[/QUOTE]
Buy it, this is one of the best M+ games I have played. Hell, its one of the best Wii game IMHO

[quote name='timobkg']Hmm, on the one hand, this seems like an interesting game for a good price and, I already have motion plus that's just gathering dust. On the other hand, there's this big backlog looming over me...[/QUOTE]

Ignore the backlog! Keep filling it up! That seems to be my strategy. I've got a TON of 360 games in the backlog, and a fair number of Wii games as well. Plus some PS2 and gamecube games.

Grargh, too many games, too little time!

In for one. I picked up a MotionPlus as a standalone during the TRU accessories sale -- I've had nothing to use it on until now. Thanks, Shrike.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']NewEgg has no tax in NY unlike Amazon. I couldn't resist. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I forgot Newegg has tax in California, so basically this is the same price that I paid for it a couple of weeks ago! That makes me feel better about adding this to my backlog, for whatever reason.

Oh snap, had I not just spent a bunch of monies on my girlfriend's birthday coming up early next month I'd jump on this ASAP but as it is I don't want to put anything else on my card.

Le Sigh. Someday.

Hmm...looks like on Amazon at least it ends up about the same price to just buy the bundle.

This is something I'd try for $13, as it sounds somewhat promising, but $35 is pushing it for me as I don't know if I'd use the motion plus again. MAYBE for Zelda, but it seems like all the critics are saying it doesn't work and is a big step backwards (I know I'd be thrilled if they announced classic controller only for the next one, and hopefully did something new, or really polished, or something.)

It tanked because of the same reason games like Madworld tanked. The average Wii userbase (families and soccer moms) has no interest in this type of game, and the audience that IS into this type of game likely gave up on, or was never interested in the Wii in the first place.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hmm...looks like on Amazon at least it ends up about the same price to just buy the bundle.

This is something I'd try for $13, as it sounds somewhat promising, but $35 is pushing it for me as I don't know if I'd use the motion plus again. MAYBE for Zelda, but it seems like all the critics are saying it doesn't work and is a big step backwards (I know I'd be thrilled if they announced classic controller only for the next one, and hopefully did something new, or really polished, or something.)[/QUOTE]

Not worth it to get a motionplus for this, no, but I've got to say, it *is* a major improvement over the wiimote alone, and if more games start using the motionplus, it will be worthwhile to get one. One of the reasons I got it was, in a sense, to justify the motionplus(es, even though there's no multiplayer so only one can be used for this) I already have.

And forget the first one, this is basically a complete departure, and more like what the first one was supposed to be. At least that's what I've heard, I haven't actually played it yet.

Very tempting deal but I think I'll stick it out and see if it gets to the Madworld price range. I had my hopes up for this game while it was being developed but seems like it turned out just be a pretty average game.

[quote name='oni-link']I'm on the fence on this one; as the first Red Steel really left a bad taste in my mouth regarding the franchise. I believe I'm not the only one seeing how bad this game sold:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=16284 .[/QUOTE]

I'm confused by why they called it Red Steel 2. I mean actually Red Steel is a pretty good name, but I kept hearing how "oh, it has name recognition!"...but I think the only people it has that for are us...and we know about the first one :lol:

[quote name='Skydude']Not worth it to get a motionplus for this, no, but I've got to say, it *is* a major improvement over the wiimote alone, and if more games start using the motionplus, it will be worthwhile to get one. One of the reasons I got it was, in a sense, to justify the motionplus(es, even though there's no multiplayer so only one can be used for this) I already have.

And forget the first one, this is basically a complete departure, and more like what the first one was supposed to be. At least that's what I've heard, I haven't actually played it yet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Hmm...Darn, if this included the Motion Plus for this price, or it didn't use it, I'd get it I think, but $35 is just kind of pricey... Plus I kind of feel like if Nintendo releases that Zelda game or whatever it'll include that at a discount, if not free...nah, I'm thinking maybe $60 including the motion plus.

Though I have about zero faith in that new Zelda game, but if all the critics who right now think it's bullshit get the full game and go "huh, it's actually pretty fun" I might consider it.

[quote name='bojay1997']Looks like it's dead now.[/QUOTE]

Although bear in mind you can basically get it for the same price from Amazon if you don't already have the motion plus thing-namely $35ish.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Although bear in mind you can basically get it for the same price from Amazon if you don't already have the motion plus thing-namely $35ish.[/QUOTE]

Sure, it's also $35 at Toys R Us, so with the $5 off $25 coupon, it's actually a couple bucks cheaper there. Of course, for game only we're out of luck as Amazon doesn't even have it in stock and hasn't for a while other than through third party sellers.

bread's done
Back