APB Shutters; Epic Fail For Shortest Lifespan MMO

Jodou

Infamous
Feedback
12 (100%)
[quote name='"Ben Bateman"']APB has been a fantastic journey, but unfortunately that journey has come to a premature end. Today we are sad to announce that despite everyone's best efforts to keep the service running; APB is coming to a close.[/quote]It's done.

After just months of uptime, this game breaks the record for MMO failure eclipsing Tabula Rasa. It will be interesting to see if there's a class action lawsuit given the short period of availability. I expect many, many people will be seeking chargebacks given the two month period of service time.

WOW...

I knew the game wasn't doing well, but jeez, already shutting it down? I still have 30 hours on my account.

Despite uninstalling the game about two weeks after it launched, I still feel ripped off. Ironically enough, my friends and I contemplated reinstalling this to burn off our time just the other day. I wonder if I could somehow get a refund? I mean, I paid for 50 hours of playtime and now the game is free until the servers shutdown sometime soon.

Hopefully something happens for those who paid for time and are now screwed.

That was fast.

Between this failing, CrimeCraft going F2P, and Global Agenda dropping the subscription model, I think we can safely say that no one wants to pay a monthly fee to play a shooter.

Didn't even get the chance to play it!! sigh..

I will definitely pick up CrimeCraft when it's f2p.

/edit: Holy crap, the articles I saw were from 2009. Has CrimeCraft really been f2p for almost a year?

My spidey senses tingled hard about this game since the day it was announced, everything about its prerelease hype and the way it was handled just screamed failure.

[quote name='Scorch']Didn't even get the chance to play it!! sigh..

I will definitely pick up CrimeCraft when it's f2p.

/edit: Holy crap, the articles I saw were from 2009. Has CrimeCraft really been f2p for almost a year?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to 2009!

[quote name='Megazell']
Megazell's Top Pick
CrimeCraft
Megazell's Top Pick

Third Person Shooter/MMORPG
Single Player - No
Multiplayer - Yes

CrimeCraft is a Persistent World Next-gen Shooter (PWNS) that blends a gripping, action-packed shooter experience with the best community and role-playing elements found in massively multi-player games. CrimeCraft is set in a gritty fictional city of the near future, following an ecological disaster of unprecedented scale, where the price of life is far less valuable than one’s reputation. Join thousands of players online as you learn the rules of the street, build your own gang and do whatever it takes to survive amidst the chaos. Earn a reputation. Build a gang. Kill the competition.

CrimeCraft Overview and Features:

Crime - Following economic collapse, lawlessness prevailed and the government built Sunrise City as a penal colony to house the increased criminal element. Perform various "tasks" and "jobs" for money and experience which can be used to help you gain a reputation, learn new trade skills and perform new abilities in battle.

Craft - Use the loot gained in battles to create your own weapons, clothing and performance boosts.

Unreal Technology - Explore the vast world of Sunrise City beautifully rendered by the powerful Unreal Engine 3.

Intense TPS action - Battle other players or AI enemies with a wide range of weapons, explosives, abilities and enhancements at your disposal.

Pay your way - Flexible payment models that lower the barriers of entry and give players options based on their playing style.

Personalize - Amazing depth in the variety of clothes, weapons, items, and skills available to distinguish your character and your crew from the masses playing online.

Team up - Form virtual gangs to build a reputation, assign rankings, pool money and goods and buy gang hideouts.

Underground Economy - Control the cost and quality of manufactured items that you create, modify, or repair. Then sell, trade or auction them to other players in the open black market.

Megazell's Comment - I can see myself dropping DDO for this! Waiting for one more of my allies to make the decision by the end of the week. This game is very good.

System Requirements

CPU: 1.6 Ghz
Memory: 1 Gb
Video Card: GeForce 7600 and ATI Radeon X1600 or higher
Hard Drive: 3 Gb

Download it here - http://www.crimecraft.com/

Screenshots

2nc1mit.jpg

2i0tdfn.jpg

2h58as5.jpg

Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pApFF5AqqNY

Click Here!

For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'
[/QUOTE]

------------

[quote name='sotc1988']Glad I avoided this. From everything I've read about it, it is a horrible game from top to bottom.[/QUOTE]

I left right in the middle of the beta when they stated 'Not F2P.'

UPDATE: APB will be free until it's gone, but Bateman noted on Twitter that the servers are going down for good tonight. In other words, if you want to be around for the big finish, you'd better get moving.

Damn, they're pulling servers ridiculously quick.

[quote name='SEH']Damn, they're pulling servers ridiculously quick.[/QUOTE]

Must be quite embarrassing for them professionally too. :lol:

Installed Crimecraft and played for probably two hours. Game's pretty damn fun. Jodou, what do those retail versions do? Is it just the the game on a disc?

[quote name='SEH']Installed Crimecraft and played for probably two hours. Game's pretty damn fun. Jodou, what do those retail versions do? Is it just the the game on a disc?[/QUOTE]
What do they do? Well currently they fill a gap between my HD DVD and BD collection.

But seriously, you'll be happy to know that they come with two months free game time! Lol, it does come with some extras for in-game, like some combat backpack, a discount card for in-game purchases, and some virtual t-shirts. Other than that, it's just the retail disc for the game.

Those seeking reimbursement for their purchases are being told to speak to the retailer they purchased the game from. Due to copyright laws in certain states, many of you may know this is an impossibility on open merchandise and can only exchange it for the same product. Real nice.

I was so excited for this game and was going to get it as soon as I got a computer that could handle it. Then after it came out and got terrible reviews I said eff it.

Crimecraft however, I was excited about that too when it had the beta. I thought APB was Crimecraft with a changed now. Anyways, I'm going to check out Crimecraft now since it's F2P.

Ima create an MMO and shut it down after being open for 1 min or so.. I would like to see them break that record!

But the real question! Would it be moral to play a private server of this game now that it has gone down!? -Link to my "Is it moral to play private servers" thread goes here!-

The series of blogs he wrote about the studio is pretty fascinating, but it's mostly a read about corporate culture and why he thinks the organizational aspect is what caused the studio to fail. Still, articulate.

[quote name='Chuplayer']LOL, I saw this at Target this morning and laughed my butt off.[/QUOTE]

That's nothing the Target I hit...still has Matrix Online for sale - $19.99. :lol:

That's horrible. I thought the game had so much potential. Like 5 years back a friend and I talked about how we would LOVE to make a game called Cops and Criminals. It was basically an open world game set around cops busting bad guys. It sounded so fun. Then years later, we got our first taste of this type of game with GTA: IV Cops N' Crooks mode. I thought that was the best multiplayer mode in the game.

Then When I heard about APB I thought our dreams were answered. It sounded great and I couldn't wait to get it for my 360. Alas, like every MMO on the planet, the 360 version never came out. The game could have been so much more, they should have really tightened things up and drove in the cops and criminals aspect. I still think this is a great concept but it needs much better integration.

So, in order to get a free game, you had to purchase APB after 7/15/10. Pretty stupid that those who pre-ordered aren't allowed to get a free game. It doesn't even make any sense.

[quote name='SEH']So, in order to get a free game, you had to purchase APB after 7/15/10. Pretty stupid that those who pre-ordered aren't allowed to get a free game. It doesn't even make any sense.[/QUOTE]
Lol, can't wait for these to drop to a penny at stores and people start claiming free games from EA.

EA is being a real hard ass for me when it comes to getting this free game. At first they asked me to print screen my purchase email. I would've done that, had I not pre-ordered more than two months ago. My inbox doesn't keep shit that old. Instead, I took two screenshots, one of my Steam games page and another of my Steam account purchases, both of which show that I own APB.

They're now asking me to remember the date at which I pre-ordered. Do they really think I should remember something that insignificant from over two months ago?

[quote name='SEH']EA is being a real hard ass for me when it comes to getting this free game. At first they asked me to print screen my purchase email. I would've done that, had I not pre-ordered more than two months ago. My inbox doesn't keep shit that old. Instead, I took two screenshots, one of my Steam games page and another of my Steam account purchases, both of which show that I own APB.

They're now asking me to remember the date at which I pre-ordered. Do they really think I should remember something that insignificant from over two months ago?[/QUOTE]

You should have a folder in your email account for purchase just for events like this.

[quote name='SEH']EA is being a real hard ass for me when it comes to getting this free game. At first they asked me to print screen my purchase email. I would've done that, had I not pre-ordered more than two months ago. My inbox doesn't keep shit that old. Instead, I took two screenshots, one of my Steam games page and another of my Steam account purchases, both of which show that I own APB.

They're now asking me to remember the date at which I pre-ordered. Do they really think I should remember something that insignificant from over two months ago?[/QUOTE]
I don't have Steam installed on my work PC (so I can't check), and I've never pre-ordered a game on Steam, but doesn't Steam keep a record of your purchases?

Yeah, they do keep a record. I gave them two screens, one showing the game in my games list, and another showing my account history, which shows that I pre-ordered the game. Unfortunately it doesn't have a date next to it.

It appears they've just gone ahead and closed my question as I got a survey asking how I liked the solution provided, when they provided no fucking solution. They haven't even responded back since earlier this morning. I swear to god if I have to call these people...

And it continues. First they refused to compensate people who purchased the game prior to 7-15-10 (AKA, most who pre-ordered are boned) and now they're outright refusing to give a free game to those who purchased through Steam.

From a user on OCN:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Customer Support.

I would like to inform you that EA has no relationship with the digital channel "Steam". Our distribution of APB was limited to specific digital partners. You purchased your game from a retailer that has no relationship with EA for APB. EA has no obligation to provide compensation of any kind. However, if you feel you are entitled to a refund or other entitlement based on the terms and circumstances of your specific purchase, we suggest that you contact "Steam" retailer and your credit card company to determine if a refund, chargeback or other relief is available.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

Sincerely,

Frenando
EA Customer Support

So much for EA "wanting to make good". They make it sound as if Steam illegally sold APB through their store.

bread's done
Back