Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - Now available for $40!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]KiR7vm1Fo3A[/youtube]

EDF: Insect Armageddon is the sequel to EDF 2017. New features include 3-player online co-op and 6-player survivor mode. The developer is Vicious Cycle, who did not work on previous games in the series.

500x_edf_insect-attack.jpg

Helpful stuff
Reviews

Last edited by a moderator:
It already looks to have higher production values than the last one. Making the game a little prettier is always nice.

E.D.F.! E.D.F.! E.D.F.!

For being a super low budget game, the giant enemies in 2017 were pretty good looking.

3 player online co-op? Yes, please!

I've never played an EDF game, but looking at the trailer reminds me of Body Harvest for the N64. I remember loving that game as a child.

I came. Twice.

Seriously though, the first was amazing, favorite 360 game. This has ONLINE COOP AND UP TO THREE PEOPLE?! Seriously, that's taking gold, and plating it in MORE GOLD. Already put $10 down, might grab the PS3 version too.

[quote name='JStryke']I've never played an EDF game, but looking at the trailer reminds me of Body Harvest for the N64. I remember loving that game as a child.[/QUOTE]

Good 'ole Body Harvest. The precursor to GTA 3 (seriously, look it up). Body Harvest isn't a bad comparison. There's less of an emphasis and selection of vehicles in EDF though (just 3 or 4). Whereas Body Harvest had tons of different vehicles. I remember the on-foot sections of Body Harvest being fairly sluggish.

The best comparison I can think of to EDF is Serious Sam. Very action focused and it repeatedly throws massive waves of enemies at you.

Anyone else play this at pax? It looks...a LOT like the first EDF, which means fully destructable environments, but awful draw distance in the world and super blocky cars and buildings. I haven't played the first EDF in awhile, but this feels exactly how I remember it honestly, which isn't a horrible thing. You're still running around the world killing huge bugs. I remember collecting tons of stuff that dropped everywhere in the frist game, and there wasn't any of that in this one. I think a lot of the problems of EDF were structurally, not the actual gameplay, so I guess we'll see when it comes out. We played split-screen co-op though, and that was pretty awesome.

I hope both split-screen players can actually earn Achievements this time. I would have gotten a lot more multiplayer into the first game if my partner could have worked on his Achievements too.

[quote name='eastx']I hope both split-screen players can actually earn Achievements this time. I would have gotten a lot more multiplayer into the first game if my partner could have worked on his Achievements too.[/QUOTE]

I hope the achievements are better this time in general. The first game was one of those games that had like 9 achievements, and you wouldn't get one unless you finished the entire campaign.

Played at E3, and if you liked EDF 2017, you'll probably like this one as well. There will be 3 player co-op online and you will always have a squad of three even when playing single player. Less levels (15) but they're much longer (no extremely short levels) with multiple objectives. 300 weapons that are unlocked in tiers, with crazy weapons promised. Multiple classes, including a return to jetpacks.

Lots of destruction, lots of on screen enemies, the frame rate dropped a little but never by very much. Giant shit doesn't just disappear when you kill it, it falls down and takes buildings out on the way down. You can revive fallen co-op teammates. You can reload, and it has the Gears of War style interactive reload system.

Don't know why they hid it behind the power rangers game but I could've played that all day.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Played at E3, and if you liked EDF 2017, you'll probably like this one as well. There will be 3 player co-op online and you will always have a squad of three even when playing single player. Less levels (15) but they're much longer (no extremely short levels) with multiple objectives. 300 weapons that are unlocked in tiers, with crazy weapons promised. Multiple classes, including a return to jetpacks.

Lots of destruction, lots of on screen enemies, the frame rate dropped a little but never by very much. Giant shit doesn't just disappear when you kill it, it falls down and takes buildings out on the way down. You can revive fallen co-op teammates. You can reload, and it has the Gears of War style interactive reload system.

Don't know why they hid it behind the power rangers game but I could've played that all day.[/QUOTE]

There's a new Power Rangers game?!

Just so everyone knows Gamestop stores will begin selling this on July 2nd not the 5th so just in time for the holiday!

[quote name='rjbooth']Just so everyone knows Gamestop stores will begin selling this on July 2nd not the 5th so just in time for the holiday![/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Looks like GS has a pre-order bonus too so I might just do that with in-store pickup.

[quote name='rjbooth']They've stopped instore preorders due to not being able to ship in time.[/QUOTE]

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!1!!!

[quote name='rjbooth']They've stopped instore preorders due to not being able to ship in time.[/QUOTE]

Crossing my fingers.I ordered this online,I don't want to go into one of their stores.

Maybe I'm being too critical, but that new trailer isn't really doing it for me. I love EDF 2017 but was expecting the look and feel of this game to blow that out of the water. Where's the jetpack action, crazy detailed bugs, more intricate building damage, etc.? I mean, they don't even show a big horde of ants!

Prob will still buy day one :lol:

[quote name='bsmiff']Maybe I'm being too critical, but that new trailer isn't really doing it for me. I love EDF 2017 but was expecting the look and feel of this game to blow that out of the water. Where's the jetpack action, crazy detailed bugs, more intricate building damage, etc.? I mean, they don't even show a big horde of ants!

Prob will still buy day one :lol:[/QUOTE]

The trailer's not showing the entire game. But it does show off the much improved explosions and graphical effects. But even the new EDF is still a budget game, so you can't expect it look a thousand times better than the previous one. Much better multiplayer and Achievements is good enough for me.

Awesome. All of my local Gamestops are showing it in stock, so this is a nice surprise.

I'll probably be down for playing tonight.

This thread confirms that the second player in split-screen games does earn Achievements, and of course so does everyone in online games.

Can someone who's got the game please check to see if split-screen players can join online games?

[quote name='sp00ge']Did anyone else get screwed out of a manual?[/QUOTE]

That actually surprised me today when I had to gut a copy of these. No manual for 360 owners but the PS3 version has one.

[quote name='rjbooth']That actually surprised me today when I had to gut a copy of these. No manual for 360 owners but the PS3 version has one.[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess they don't want my money until this hits the bargain bin.

A shame, I was really looking forward to this game.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Well, I guess they don't want my money until this hits the bargain bin.

A shame, I was really looking forward to this game.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet it was an oversight. The back of the 360 case is trilingual, so I'm sure there were to be three different manuals to be inserted, dependent on where they were heading.

[quote name='eastx']This thread confirms that the second player in split-screen games does earn Achievements, and of course so does everyone in online games.

Can someone who's got the game please check to see if split-screen players can join online games?[/QUOTE]

Don't see an option for it.

Well, I guess they don't want my money until this hits the bargain bin.

A shame, I was really looking forward to this game.

What, because there's no manual? The 360 one can be found on EDFIA.com, if the PS3 one is similar than it's 4 pages long. There's also a more detailed PDF survival guide out there that's far more helpful. Besides that the game is a $40 bargain game.

[quote name='sp00ge']I'm willing to bet it was an oversight. The back of the 360 case is trilingual, so I'm sure there were to be three different manuals to be inserted, dependent on where they were heading.[/QUOTE]

Back of the box says to download it, and the EDFIA has a link just for the 360 manual, so I don't think it was an oversight.

Is this what new games are resorting to? Downloading a manual? Sad really...

Same thing with the Genesis Collection I just received. There is a manual, but it is severely gimped... and a "players guide" PDF that you have to download. The "players guide" contains all the relevant information, with each page dedicated to a game in the collection. Disappointed this was not included on the disc... when so many other features are (interviews, artwork, and game history).

Although this game does look awesome, I will wait until it drops at least 50%...

GET YOUR EXCLUSIVE DLC with Gamestop and Best Buy's Pre-Order Bonuses!
DLC is different for both stores. Below is what's included for each.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/3/10/news/80289/

"Available exclusively at GameStop, Pounds of Pain! The EDF Battle Armor Weapons Pack features a total of 15 exclusive brutal weapons designed to send those bugs 6 feet under! The pack will equip EDF’s customizable Battle Armor with eight new weapons including the C9 Turnburl x Shotgun and Brux Fab Chowbrow Grenade Launcher that promises to obliterate insects upon impact. In addition, the Trooper and Tactical Armors receive immediate exclusive upgrades of their own including the RLF -17 Floorboard Rocket Launcher and the VanSnaster SpreadBurst Assault Rifle.

Available exclusively at Best Buy, Death From Above! The EDF Jet Armor Weapons Pack includes 15 of the EDF’s most powerful weaons in one supply drop. The Weapons Kit will equip EDF’s flying Jet Armor set with eight exclusive weapons including the Plantain Ind. Torchee Sniper Rifle and Brewbreaux 08b-m Missile Launcher. In addition, Trooper and Tactical Armors also receive an exclusive set of upgrades including the El Gigante Rocket Launcher and the Wallagis 1776 L Missile Launcher.

The bonus codes will be provided by these retailers as downloadable content (DLC) at no extra charge with a reservation or pre-order of the full Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon video game"

[quote name='MutantLeagueDave']GET YOUR EXCLUSIVE DLC with Gamestop and Best Buy's Pre-Order Bonuses!
DLC is different for both stores. Below is what's included for each.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/3/10/news/80289/

"Available exclusively at GameStop, Pounds of Pain! The EDF Battle Armor Weapons Pack features a total of 15 exclusive brutal weapons designed to send those bugs 6 feet under! The pack will equip EDF’s customizable Battle Armor with eight new weapons including the C9 Turnburl x Shotgun and Brux Fab Chowbrow Grenade Launcher that promises to obliterate insects upon impact. In addition, the Trooper and Tactical Armors receive immediate exclusive upgrades of their own including the RLF -17 Floorboard Rocket Launcher and the VanSnaster SpreadBurst Assault Rifle.

Available exclusively at Best Buy, Death From Above! The EDF Jet Armor Weapons Pack includes 15 of the EDF’s most powerful weaons in one supply drop. The Weapons Kit will equip EDF’s flying Jet Armor set with eight exclusive weapons including the Plantain Ind. Torchee Sniper Rifle and Brewbreaux 08b-m Missile Launcher. In addition, Trooper and Tactical Armors also receive an exclusive set of upgrades including the El Gigante Rocket Launcher and the Wallagis 1776 L Missile Launcher.

The bonus codes will be provided by these retailers as downloadable content (DLC) at no extra charge with a reservation or pre-order of the full Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon video game"[/QUOTE]

Egad, maybe it's not too late to get it from BestBuy. But next time, let's post this more than a day before the game comes out! ;)

JasonTerminator and Sp, it's not like you buy a game to play the manual. If you're really interested in EDF itself, or playing online while the community is most active (at launch) then I don't think the manual should influence your buying decision.

Here's the link to the PDF manual:

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon PDF Manual

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']Egad, maybe it's not too late to get it from BestBuy. But next time, let's post this more than a day before the game comes out! ;)

JasonTerminator and Sp, it's not like you buy a game to play the manual. If you're really interested in EDF itself, or playing online while the community is most active (at launch) then I don't think the manual should influence your buying decisions.

Here's the link to the PDF manual:

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon PDF Manual[/QUOTE]

Lack of a manual detracts from the "completeness" for us picky collectors. It doesn't ruin the game for me, it's simply just an annoyance from a collector's standpoint.

[quote name='sp8001']Is this what new games are resorting to? Downloading a manual? Sad really...

Same thing with the Genesis Collection I just received. There is a manual, but it is severely gimped... and a "players guide" PDF that you have to download. The "players guide" contains all the relevant information, with each page dedicated to a game in the collection. Disappointed this was not included on the disc... when so many other features are (interviews, artwork, and game history).

Although this game does look awesome, I will wait until it drops at least 50%...[/QUOTE]

This is what budget games from smaller developers are resorting to. I'd rather have a manual-less game than one that isn't released at all.

bread's done
Back