Ignore users feature?

While I see why you would want this, I don't think it could work.

For example: What if somebody on your ignore list posts a deal? A good deal even?

[quote name='evilmax17']While I see why you would want this, I don't think it could work.

For example: What if somebody on your ignore list posts a deal? A good deal even?[/quote]

If it was a good deal, then no doubt someone would respond to it, and it would be seen at that time.

why do u care if you have to scroll past someones post, its not that hard to do. is that 2 inch space there post takes up that much of a problem that u cant skip it

im just saying it would probably be way too annoying to add such a feature for such a little thing like skipping over a certain persons posts

[quote name='cthcky33']why do u care if you have to scroll past someones post, its not that hard to do. is that 2 inch space there post takes up that much of a problem that u cant skip it[/quote]

Some post very large pics (like me) on occassion, so I could see if I really irritated people with ALOT of posts like that someone might like to simply not see all the garbage.

I've looked into mods/hacks for it....apparently its a DB hog.
Lets wait until there is an official release from PHPBB or we move to a different forum software.

EDIT: I do think its a good feature to have, though.

I don't really see much good an ignore users feature would be. I could see if someone was "harrassing" you through pm's or something (akin to AIM), but really if you have a few users in mind that you want to ignore, whenever you see their avatar/sig just skip over that post.

And if someone quoted someone you were ignoring, then you might see their post anyway right?

I'm all for an "Ignore User" feature. I've seen it implemented in other forums before, so it's certainly doable. (But cheapyd is right in waiting for an official feature from phpbb.) And it seems pretty handy. The only problem is sometimes the ignoree keeps expecting a response from the ignorer, but it's not like that would matter to the ignorer.

[quote name='thagoat']have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?[/quote]

Nice quote, but that still doesn't change that fact that you'll be the first person people put on their ignore lists. :lol:

[quote name='moiety']I don't really see much good an ignore users feature would be. I could see if someone was "harrassing" you through pm's or something (akin to AIM), but really if you have a few users in mind that you want to ignore, whenever you see their avatar/sig just skip over that post.
[/quote]

So I have to turn on avatars / sigs and filter manually?

It's the kind of thing computers are supposed to be very good at doing.

Any chance? There are more then a handful of members here that I would love nothing more then to click BLOCK so I would no longer have to read their responses. Any chance of a script like that ever coming into fruitation?

What, you mean you don't like hearing "zelda sucks, n-gage sucks, psp sucks, ds sucks, sonic sucks, INSERT_GAME sucks". Yeah, just a bit!

[quote name='gizmogc']What, you mean you don't like hearing "zelda sucks, n-gage sucks, psp sucks, ds sucks, sonic sucks, INSERT_GAME sucks". Yeah, just a bit![/quote]

:rofl: ZING!!!!

There is a way in other forums with if you block a member it will simply say "GizmoGC is block, to view his post, click here". So in reality, you could still see there post if you WANTED to, but otherwise, you could skip right over it.

[quote name='gizmogc']Any chance? There are more then a handful of members here that I would love nothing more then to click BLOCK so I would no longer have to read their responses. Any chance of a script like that ever coming into fruitation?[/quote]

That would be a great benefit. An ignore option would be better than simply avoiding reading their posts.

[quote name='Wshakspear']lol....

DDF does get annoying, doesnt he :)[/quote]

Just an example of some of his recent posts...

"cellular tlelephones suck. add poor gaming with poor games, and you've got a heapload of suck right there."

"n-gage, handheld gaming for the sub-20 IQ set."

"there was Link's Awakening.

and OOT was a huger leap into the crapper. "

"it's going to suck."

"the x series sucked to death."

"1/8

gdca sucks and i dum."

"i can;t believe anyone woud support junk like this.

it make me sad that these idiots are driving the marketplace.

maybe that's why lots of franchises are being ruined lately."

"thjis is the dumbest thing ever,

how about never having characters who are haunted by their past again.

and no stupid guns."

"and furthermore, screw you monkeypox."

...and thats just from clicing RECENT posts!

Well as much as people are mindless trolls, imagine if you blocked them and they happen to stumble upon a CCesk deal and because you block them you miss the initial post.

[quote name='gizmogc'][quote name='Wshakspear']lol....

DDF does get annoying, doesnt he :)[/quote]

Just an example of some of his recent posts...

"cellular tlelephones suck. add poor gaming with poor games, and you've got a heapload of suck right there."

"n-gage, handheld gaming for the sub-20 IQ set."

"there was Link's Awakening.

and OOT was a huger leap into the crapper. "

"it's going to suck."

"the x series sucked to death."

"1/8

gdca sucks and i dum."

"i can;t believe anyone woud support junk like this.

it make me sad that these idiots are driving the marketplace.

maybe that's why lots of franchises are being ruined lately."

"thjis is the dumbest thing ever,

how about never having characters who are haunted by their past again.

and no stupid guns."

"and furthermore, screw you monkeypox."

...and thats just from clicing RECENT posts![/quote]
Quit bitching...

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Well as much as people are mindless trolls, imagine if you blocked them and they happen to stumble upon a CCesk deal and because you block them you miss the initial post.[/quote]

Trolls don't find deals. Even if they do, I'm willing not to see it just so I won't have to read anymore posts by them.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Well as much as people are mindless trolls, imagine if you blocked them and they happen to stumble upon a CCesk deal and because you block them you miss the initial post.[/quote]

That would seldom happen. No one like DDF could "stumble" on anything other than the English language.

If it was a big deal it would be discussed by more than one person. Even if it wasn't, I'd risk missing the deal.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Well as much as people are mindless trolls, imagine if you blocked them and they happen to stumble upon a CCesk deal and because you block them you miss the initial post.[/quote]

That would seldom happen. No one like DDF could "stumble" on anything other than the English language.
[/quote]

HAHA :rofl: that's hilarious

but yeah, i agree that the guy is progressively becoming more annoying.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Well as much as people are mindless trolls, imagine if you blocked them and they happen to stumble upon a CCesk deal and because you block them you miss the initial post.[/quote]

If it was a big deal it would be discussed by more than one person. Even if it wasn't, I'd risk missing the deal.[/quote]

ROFL, well you never know right, anything can happen (pigs do fly on the pink floyd record).

for some reason.. I thought this was about me... but say the member contributed a super deal... you would miss it!

[quote name='help1']for some reason.. I thought this was about me... but say the member contributed a super deal... you would miss it![/quote]

Again, it would be worth it. I have yet to see any troll actually post a deal. They usually just pop up to say "This sucks".

Well, if Cheapy or Defender did implement a feature like that then perhaps you could choose to see their posts in topics they start in the video game and DVD deal forum.

[quote name='gizmogc']There is a way in other forums with if you block a member it will simply say "GizmoGC is block, to view his post, click here". So in reality, you could still see there post if you WANTED to, but otherwise, you could skip right over it.[/quote]

Why do you need to block someone to be able to skip over their post when you can do that already?

Are you people incapable of ignoring posts from people you don't like? Is it too much to have some self control?

[quote name='smellhasreturned']man do i wish their was a feature like that

Scorch... :)[/quote]

The feeling's mutual.

DB strain? We had it on an old board and it wasn't bad. No extra strain that we could see, it basically loaded up the person's post, and it said "You have this person blocked. If you wish to read what they've typed, click [here]".

[quote name='help1']for some reason.. I thought this was about me... but say the member contributed a super deal... you would miss it![/quote]

How could anyone miss a deal that was never posted? It's like missing a a game you don't know exists.

And for the record I thought about you when I saw this topic. :D

bread's done
Back