XBox Dashboard Update 11/01/10 (Formerly: Xbox Live Preview Program)

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
Update: Signups are now closed. They may open again if they need more people, but for now, that's it.

Like previous releases, Microsoft is opening up testing for the new dashboard update. It will let you try out ESPN, the Netflix update, and more. The link to the program is here and more details are on Major Nelson's blog here.

You'll need your console handy because the serial number and console ID are required. One or both may be available on xbox.com if your console is registered to your GT, but I'm not 100% sure.*

After filling out the form I was immediately told that I was in the program, so I guess it fills up when they get a certain number of entries, so act fast.

edit:
*If you're stuck at work or school and don't have access to your console you can get the numbers online. The serial number is shown by going to the support page and requesting a repair. If your console is registered it will show up there. You don't actually have to go through with the request, it's just a place to select which console you want repaired.

The console ID is available from the license transfer tool here. Select "start the processs now" (you don't have to go through with it and it should show up. I've actually done a transfer, so you may need an extra step to get to a place to see your consoles if you haven't already done it. Just make sure you get the right console.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Scorch']huh. Nothing loads when I click that link. It says "XBox Live Update Home" on the left, but nothing else.[/QUOTE]

The link should be fixed. You can also go through the major nelson link to get there.

If you're stuck at work or school and don't have access to your console you can get the numbers online. The serial number is shown by going to the support page and requesting a repair. If your console is registered it will show up there. You don't actually have to go through with the request, it's just a place to select which console you want repaired.

The console ID is available from the license transfer tool here. Select "start the processs now" (you don't have to go through with it and it should show up. I've actually done a transfer, so you may need an extra step to get to a place to see your consoles if you haven't already done it. Just make sure you get the right console.

3. Do you understand that Party Chat will not work with people outside of the Preview Program?*

As much as I would love to preview the changes to Netflix, party chat being disabled is annoying.

I remember past updates actually driving home just to get my console ID to signup ASAP. I'm not that excited about this new update. I don't care about ESPN at all. I can wait for the Netflix update. I don't really know much about other changes other than avatar's being taller.

I'll signup when I get home from work. If I'm too late to get in, I won't cry too hard. :)

Also, I can't access xbox.com from work. So, I can't do that to get the ID.

[quote name='shigster']3. Do you understand that Party Chat will not work with people outside of the Preview Program?*

As much as I would love to preview the changes to Netflix, party chat being disabled is annoying.[/QUOTE]

That was enough for me. I'm usually in Party Chat alot of times with other friends whether we are playing the same game or not. I've just recently suspended my Netflix and I don't use Zune Video at all really. I'm not even certain if my ISP supports the ESPN streaming content.

I'll wait this time around. I was in the Update Preview that last 2 times with the Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm .

Yah! Accepted!

Now I have an excuse to NOT go into party chat anymore, Instead of just telling my friends.....I Don't feel like talking. Some people just don't get that I don't want to join there party chat.

Hey -- I've never signed up for a preview before, and I have a question .... the signup page asked for my gamertag -- will this affect the other 2 gametags on the my hard drive? (Im assuming the other profies will have the same restrictions and also use the beta dashboard)

[quote name='chembree']Hey -- I've never signed up for a preview before, and I have a question .... the signup page asked for my gamertag -- will this affect the other 2 gametags on the my hard drive? (Im assuming the other profies will have the same restrictions and also use the beta dashboard)[/QUOTE]

If you get into the preview they just update your dashboard ahead of the official release. The old one will be gone. It works like any other update, every gamertag on the system will be using the new dashboard.

[quote name='theredworm']I signed up, screw party chat I want ESPN3.[/QUOTE]

Hell Yeah!
Both my brother and I are in as well.

[quote name='screwkick']Signed up, and was instantly accepted. Wow. I never get in to betas. Off to buy a lottery ticket now...[/QUOTE]

and to quote major nelson on his site

We’re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.

From what I'm seeing online, unless you LOVE party chat, you should get in on this beta.

PROTIP: Provide lots of feedback and suggestions. That opens the doors for you for future betas

I was gonna renew my Gold to check out the features when this goes live, but it appears that Time Warner isn't on board yet with ESPN3. I believe that all will be straightened out sometime before the end of the year.

[quote name='daphatty']Looks like they aren't being too particular about who gets in. I just hope this thing doesn't RROD my 360.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's my only worry as well. When it gives you a warning that the update my nuke your system, makes you a tad wary...

From what I read, the party chat will just not work with people outside of the preview program. Which leads me to wonder if the codec upgrade is only for party chat.

[quote name='thrustbucket']From what I read, the party chat will just not work with people outside of the preview program. Which leads me to wonder if the codec upgrade is only for party chat.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...same thing happened last time they did the preview. Not sure what the deal was last time, but I thought I read something somewhere for the upcoming update where they are tweaking/improving the voice quality.

Sucks I won't be able to party chat with my friends who won't care/bother to sign up for it, but worth it to get it a few weeks early I suppose.

well at least I have some friends on here that got in (I see some madden leaguers) to try out party chat with and see if it is improved

[quote name='daphatty']Looks like they aren't being too particular about who gets in. I just hope this thing doesn't RROD my 360.[/QUOTE]

That is the main reason I am not joining in. If I recall reading it correctly, you can't back out the beta upgrade.

[quote name='theredworm']well at least I have some friends on here that got in (I see some madden leaguers) to try out party chat with and see if it is improved[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that as well! Part of the reason I figured "eh, why not!"

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Does this go by Gamertag or by console ID? I just got a new slim so wondering If I have to re do it again?[/QUOTE]

Should be console ID.

bread's done
Back