- - - - -

CAG home owner topic. Buying or selling a home? Have a maintance issue? Help is here!

#1201 tylerh1701   But it's haaaaard. CAGiversary!   22012 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago   Has been playing Alice: Madness Returns
PS3

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

I have some scratching coming from inside my walls. Yuck. Im probably just gonna have a pest control company come in. anyone had anything similar?

tylerh1701.png hazgm2d.png

Editor-in-Chief at Inverted Access! Check out our Twitch Channel!

#1202 slowdive21   CAG/Hoarder CAGiversary!   10105 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

I have some scratching coming from inside my walls. Yuck. Im probably just gonna have a pest control company come in. anyone had anything similar?

Probably a mouse or a bat, eventually it will die, then decay.

If you have an attic it is most likely the entry point.

You can try a humane mouse trap (clear box) and let it out in a field somewhere if you catch it.

I would bait it with flour tortillas. Mice seem to love them (not joking).

#1203 mightyduck   It's Knuckle Puck time! CAGiversary!   199 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

mightyduck

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:32 PM

My wife and I are in the process of selling our home.  We are currently under contract with a buyer who has a VA loan.  The inspection just took place on Friday.  From our understanding, we can't negotiate price based on the inspection, but rather everything must be fixed in order for deal to go through with the VA.

Has anyone else sold to anyone using a VA loan?  Any tips of advice?

Thanks!

48f3abe6-b01e-4872-8c9b-993df57384ed_zps

Pizza dude's got 30 seconds...

#1204 tylerh1701   But it's haaaaard. CAGiversary!   22012 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago   Has been playing Alice: Madness Returns
PS3

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:03 AM

Probably a mouse or a bat, eventually it will die, then decay.

If you have an attic it is most likely the entry point.

You can try a humane mouse trap (clear box) and let it out in a field somewhere if you catch it.

I would bait it with flour tortillas. Mice seem to love them (not joking).

Thanks. Chatted with my uncle.  He said don't bother calling a professional yet.  Just put out some traps or poison and seal up the cracks/holes around the exterior of my house.  That's probably what I'll do.  

That noises sound really loud for it to be a mouse, IMO.  Do bats make lots of scratching noises?  And yes I do have an attic, I also think my garage may be a point of entry.  It's attached to the house and because of a tilt in the cement it doesn't close all the way in one corner.

tylerh1701.png hazgm2d.png

Editor-in-Chief at Inverted Access! Check out our Twitch Channel!

#1205 slowdive21   CAG/Hoarder CAGiversary!   10105 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:18 AM

Thanks. Chatted with my uncle.  He said don't bother calling a professional yet.  Just put out some traps or poison and seal up the cracks/holes around the exterior of my house.  That's probably what I'll do.  

That noises sound really loud for it to be a mouse, IMO.  Do bats make lots of scratching noises?  And yes I do have an attic, I also think my garage may be a point of entry.  It's attached to the house and because of a tilt in the cement it doesn't close all the way in one corner.

It could be a squirrel. They will pack the walls with pine cones. Ground squirrels tend to hang out in garages. Rats can also live in attics and they would be louder than mice or bats.

Bats will scratch when they climb, but you usually hear little "meep meep" noises. They are about the size of mice. The biggest concern would be rabies.

Once you find out what it is animal control may come out for free depending on your city.

----

I had an encounter with a bat. I thought there was a bird in the house until it flew by my head.

I called animal control and they wouldn't come out for a bat.

I hit it with a broom? (can't remember) and it fell on my foot. Once it got airborne again, I was able to catch it with a towel and fling it outside. About a week later there was a report on the news saying that bats in my area were found with rabies and to call animal control if you encounter one. :wall:

#1206 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1074 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:14 PM

My wife and I are in the process of selling our home.  We are currently under contract with a buyer who has a VA loan.  The inspection just took place on Friday.  From our understanding, we can't negotiate price based on the inspection, but rather everything must be fixed in order for deal to go through with the VA.

Has anyone else sold to anyone using a VA loan?  Any tips of advice?

Thanks!

Hey - Yeah from my understanding VA and FHA are tough with inspection stuff. It's all safety related stuff typically but if it's an old home there can be a lot of stuff to repair. And as far as I know you are right - you have to fix all that stuff. I've heard it can vary pretty wildly from one inspector to another so I hope you got a easy going one. I've also known friends (buyers) who were going through FHA and to get the house they actually did some of the work themselves. I know that's stressful for you though!!!

We have a contract on our home and close in two weeks. Buyer has conventional loan and our inspection wasn't too bad thank goodness (our house was built in 1960.) We did most of the simple repairs and gave $200 for some damaged siding. Our problem is we haven't found a house yet. We've tried though damnit! Bit of a drought with the market where we are looking. So we are going to have to rent and move twice. I think this house selling/buying thing trumps having kids as the most stressful thing me and my wife have gone through!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1207 mightyduck   It's Knuckle Puck time! CAGiversary!   199 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

mightyduck

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:29 PM

Hey - Yeah from my understanding VA and FHA are tough with inspection stuff. It's all safety related stuff typically but if it's an old home there can be a lot of stuff to repair. And as far as I know you are right - you have to fix all that stuff. I've heard it can vary pretty wildly from one inspector to another so I hope you got a easy going one. I've also known friends (buyers) who were going through FHA and to get the house they actually did some of the work themselves. I know that's stressful for you though!!!

We have a contract on our home and close in two weeks. Buyer has conventional loan and our inspection wasn't too bad thank goodness (our house was built in 1960.) We did most of the simple repairs and gave $200 for some damaged siding. Our problem is we haven't found a house yet. We've tried though damnit! Bit of a drought with the market where we are looking. So we are going to have to rent and move twice. I think this house selling/buying thing trumps having kids as the most stressful thing me and my wife have gone through!

Best of luck with finding a home!  Hopefully with Spring starting more houses will start to hit the market that you can check out.  Our closing is currently set for April 10th...I can only hope we can get there.

48f3abe6-b01e-4872-8c9b-993df57384ed_zps

Pizza dude's got 30 seconds...

#1208 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   5295 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:32 PM

we're paying $5000 to put in a trench system and a sump pump for our crawl space that we keep finding water in.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1209 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15201 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:35 AM

a friend installed a french drain and 2 sump pumps, and he still has water issues. Finished basement too, so has gone through a bunch of carpet already.

#1210 Dead of Knight  

Dead of Knight

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:18 AM

We're one of those crazy lucky people whose house doesn't have any water issues.  House isn't on a hill either.  No sump pump or anything and there's never a drop of water in our basement.  When we moved in we had landscapers dig a trench on the side of the house that is next to the neighbor's plot that angles down towards ours for a few hundred bucks for added protection.  We are so damn fortunate to have not had any issues with all the snow here.  Our house is over 100 years old too.  A lot of the house is ugly as shit (we plan on renovating after the mortgage is paid off in a year or so), but damn are the bones solid.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#1211 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   6522 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

Have "lead lined" box gutters on our front porch and they seem to be leaky into the soffet of the porch. My dad told me that they probably need recoated. Now my question is what do I recoat them with?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#1212 Dokstarr   Tap, Snap or Nap CAGiversary!   1698 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

I posted like 5 months back in here when I started looking for a house and I still am. There is a house I might make an offer on, but the whole market just seems so aggressive around here. It will be on the market for like a week and bam sold. I was going to make an offer on before but it was pending the day after I toured it.

I looked at a 3 family yesterday. We would live in one unit while renting the other two. After doing the math out it would come out to some where between 6 and 750 a month base out of pocket after the two rentals (assuming they are filled). Right now they are filled with one paying $950 and the other $1500. I think the $1500 could be upped higher since we are paying $1600 for an apartment a few blocks away in a less nice area and with a less modern kitchen (although ours is a little bigger).

I went to the group showing yesterday and there were literally 40 people looking at the house. It had a finished basement with a shower (probably about a 500 sq feet finished room) which i something I've always wanted for putting down some of my jiu-jitsu/judo mats (like in avatar) and putting my metal DDR pads down. Since I've lived in a 3rd floor apartment for two years I haven't been able to play DDR at all and its been a drag for me since I love DDR (and also since I probably got an extra 3 hours of exercise a week out of it).

It's a pretty scary thing considering putting down 100K+ of money for a down payment, but in the long run it probably makes sense instead of just forking over 20K a year for an apartment that I'm not crazy about with limited parking, storage, etc.

#1213 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8376 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:01 AM

Are they asking for 100k down? How much are the total unit together?

It will probably get eaten by an investor if the comps are good enough.