Gamestop - Buy PS3 Move controller or bundle, get $25 AMEX PASS card bonus

xplocvo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Gamestop has a new offer going on the PS Move motion controller or bundle -

"Purchase a PlayStation MOVE bundle or MOVE Motion Controller at GameStop by November 30th to receive a promotion code for a $25 dollar bonus opportunity. To receive the $25 bonus you must order the new PASS Card from American Express, the new prepaid reload Card parents give to teens, by January 31st. Visit www.americanexpress.com/passmove for more information and to order a PASS today. Available for online and in-store customers, while supplies last.

Online Customers: A code and instructions on how to receive your $25 bonus will be emailed within 2 business days.

In-Store Pickup / Store Customers: A code and instructions will be printed on your receipt at time of purchase."

"To receive a $25 bonus on a PASS Card, you must purchase a PlayStation®Move at GameStop. The PASS Card must be ordered using the promotion code found on the back of the GameStop receipt between September 25, 2010 and November 30, 2010. Please allow 4–6 weeks after the PASS order for the $25 to be credited. Limit of one PlayStation®Move offer per customer. PASS Card terms and conditions apply."

There is a minimum initial funding amount of $25 on the card. It looks like there are no monthly fees on the PASS card until October 2011. I don't see anything in the PASS FAQ about contract or commitments, it says you can call to cancel the card. In their FAQ it says, "An adult 18 years of age or older (e.g., a parent or guardian) can purchase the PASS Card for anyone 13 years of age or older." so you should be able to simply order it for yourself.

PS3 Move Controller - http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=804177

PS3 Move Bundle - http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=78137

So in other words, order a Move, get the code. Go order a PASS card using said code, funding it with an initial $25. After 4-6 weeks receive a bonus $25, so you now have $50 to spend anywhere AMEX is accepted. Spend the $50, cancel the PASS card.

[quote name='Xenogears']
-There are no start up, monthly, or transaction fees with the card. There is a $4 a month fee, but it is being waived until October 2011. So until then, none. There is a fee of $1.50 per withdrawl with an ATM but unless customer service was not telling me everything, thats it.
-Card can be cancelled at anytime with no fees
-Phone number to cancel card: 1-877-405-7277 (International Collect 1-801-945-9559)
-So, this deal is good to go. I also noticed that an adult can order up to 3 cards. So getting multiples should work, but if someone else wants to research that go ahead. Im just going to get one
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Montes']Are there any geographical restrictions to purchasing the PASS Card?
The PASS Card is not available for sale in Arkansas, New Hampshire and Vermont. The PASS Card is also not available in California at this time. Cards purchased by residents in other states cannot be shipped to these four states. In addition, American Express does not sell or ship the Card outside the United States.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
oh god....this is going to make me try to price match and get denied at best buy for the SIXTH time now. why why why did you have to post this??

:p

Is it just me, or does it sound like we're going to have to purchase a Pass card for $25 and then the promotional code from Gamestop will add a bonus $25 onto the card?

[quote name='kataztrophik']Is it just me, or does it sound like we're going to have to purchase a Pass card for $25 and then the promotional code from Gamestop will add a bonus $25 onto the card?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is how I read it too. You pay $25 for $50 on a prepaid AMEX card.

[quote name='kataztrophik']Is it just me, or does it sound like we're going to have to purchase a Pass card for $25 and then the promotional code from Gamestop will add a bonus $25 onto the card?[/QUOTE]

This is how I'm reading it too.

To receive a $25 bonus on a PASS Card, you must purchase a PlayStation®Move at GameStop. The PASS Card must be ordered using the promotion code found on the back of the GameStop receipt between September 25, 2010 and November 30, 2010. Please allow 4–6 weeks after the PASS order for the $25 to be credited. Limit of one PlayStation®Move offer per customer. PASS Card terms and conditions apply.

This is practically buying two move controllers for $75 (if you wanted to use the $50 passcard on another move controller). I may think about taking advantage of this.

[quote name='KueMan10']This is practically buying two move controllers for $75 (if you wanted to use the $50 passcard on another move controller). I may think about taking advantage of this.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be $50 for two controllers?

This is how I will likely do it:

1.) Buy the controller for $49.99 (before taxes)

2.) buy the AMEX Card with promo code for $25

3.) Wait a few weeks for the bonus $25

4.) Cash out the entire $50 at an ATM machine ($1.50 surcharge)

So basically the controllers are $25 each before taxes.

American Express charges a fee of $1.50 to the PASS Card for each ATM withdrawal. Please note banks also charge their own fees for each withdrawal.

Pfft on that nonsense.

[quote name='xplocvo']No, it would be $75. You are spending $50 in your step 1 and $25 in your step 2.[/QUOTE]
But you're getting that $25 back from Step 2 completely back when you cash out, are you not? I just spelled it out, I don't see how people don't get it. Just because you have to put $25 to get the $25 does not mean you're not getting it completely back (minus $1.50 ATM fee) a few weeks later.

If you honestly think it's $75 for two moves, how much after my example, do you think you're paying for just one controller. Answer that and times it by two.

Oh boy. In your example you never even bought two controllers, just one. Where are you buying the second one? With the $50 you pull out on step 4, that's where.

[quote name='xplocvo']Oh boy. In your example you never even bought two controllers, just one. Where are you buying the second one? With the $50 you pull out on step 4, that's where.[/QUOTE]

Dude, who said you have to buy two controllers in one transaction or with the Pass card? Do you not get that this can be done as two separate transactions and two separate cards?

I'm going to try to spell out how much it would cost me with taxes included for one controller:

1.) One Playstation controller with NY taxes: $54.70 out of pocket

2.) I buy a $25 card: $25 out of pocket

3.) In a few weeks, I get a bonus $25

4.) I go to an ATm machine, I make a withdrawal of $50, they take away $1.50 from that for a net of $48.50

5.) Eliminate the $25 out of pocket you laid out in step 2 from that total since you get back completely in cash, and you're left with what Gamestop gives you for free: $23.50

Thus, the grand total you're paying Out of Pocket is: $54.70 - $23.50 = $31.20 with taxes and fees included for one controller

So with taxes included, if this is done twice, it will cost $62.40 for two controllers.

Where am I wrong here? Also in reference to you talking about pulling the $50 to buy another controller, you do realize that comes with another $25 offer right? Did you factor that in to your $75?

[quote name='xplocvo']Oh boy. In your example you never even bought two controllers, just one. Where are you buying the second one? With the $50 you pull out on step 4, that's where.[/QUOTE]

It took me a minute to figure out how he was saying it was $25 per controller.

You would basically need a second person to do this (unless Gamestop's claim that one offer per person is false).

Purchase Move controller: -$50.00
Purchase AMEX: -$25.00
Receive giftcard and cash out: +$48.50

Total out of pocket expenses after all is said and done: $27.50 (+ whatever your tax on original $50 is) PER controller. This is almost half-price on a Move controller.

[quote name='ssjmichael']But you're getting that $25 back from Step 2 completely back when you cash out, are you not? I just spelled it out, I don't see how people don't get it. Just because you have to put $25 to get the $25 does not mean you're not getting it completely back (minus $1.50 ATM fee) a few weeks later.

If you honestly think it's $75 for two moves, how much after my example, do you think you're paying for just one controller. Answer that and times it by two.[/QUOTE]

If you did the withdrawal @ the ATM it would be like getting the first controller for $25.

If you used the card after getting the bonus for another controller.

You will be paying full price for the 2nd controller. Yes I realize half of the cards value is free, but this would put the out of pocket costs for two controllers @ $37.50.

Ex. $50 of your money for the first controller + the $25 of YOUR money on the card divided by 2 = $37.50 each.

[quote name='1HiTekTexan']If you did the withdrawal @ the ATM it would be like getting the first controller for $25.

If you used the card after getting the bonus for another controller.

You will be paying full price for the 2nd controller. Yes I realize half of the cards value is free, but this would put the out of pocket costs for two controllers @ $37.50.

Ex. $50 of your money for the first controller + the $25 of YOUR money on the card divided by 2 = $37.50 each.[/QUOTE]

Stop right at your first sentence. You realize that if you did this with one controller it would be $25. Please explain why you can't do that exact thing at another Gamestop and with another Pass card and get another for $25.

I don;t get why people feel they need to use the Pass card to buy another Move controller, considering it'll take weeks to get it. You people are seriously not making any sense. You acknowledge one outright is $25 out of pocket, but somehow two come to $37.50 each. Makes no damn sense.

Oh sure, if you have multiple people to sign up for it that would work. I think the limit of one is probably more on AMEX's end, since you have to open a new account to get the promo.

[quote name='paulwekiva']It took me a minute to figure out how he was saying it was $25 per controller.

You would basically need a second person to do this (unless Gamestop's claim that one offer per person is false).

Total out of pocket expenses after all is said and done: $27.50 (+ whatever your tax on original $50 is) PER controller. This is almost half-price on a Move controller.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU. At least someone gets it.

[quote name='paulwekiva']It took me a minute to figure out how he was saying it was $25 per controller.

Total out of pocket expenses after all is said and done: $27.50 (+ whatever your tax on original $50 is) PER controller. This is almost half-price on a Move controller.[/QUOTE]

Your example only works for one controller. $50 controller + $25 card = $75 (Your money)

$75 - $25 bonus - $25 refund of your money = $25 total (not figuring in ATM fee or sales tax)

Two controller example:

$50 first controller + $25 for card = $75 out of pocket for first controller.

$50 card (half of which you paid for) - $50 for 2nd controller = breaking even on second controller

So you are out of pocket $75.00 for 2 controllers any way you cut it.

Unless you do this on two separate transactions (I.E. two cards) you are not getting any discount buying a second controller with the card.

Take the cash out of the ATM and you get one controller for $25 (again ATM fee or taxes not included).

Sheesh :roll:

[quote name='1HiTekTexan']Unless you do this on two separate transactions (I.E. two cards) you are not getting any discount buying a second controller with the card.[/QUOTE]

That's what he was talking about, two cards. He just left that part out originally.

[quote name='1HiTekTexan']Your example only works for one controller. $50 controller + $25 card = $75 (Your money)

$75 - $25 bonus - $25 refund of your money = $25 total (not figuring in ATM fee or sales tax)

Two controller example:

$50 first controller + $25 for card = $75 out of pocket

$50 card (half of which you paid for) - $50 for 2nd controller = breaking even on second controller

So you are out of pocket $75.00 any way you cut it.

Unless you do this on two separate transactions (I.E. two cards) you are not getting any discount buying a second controller with the card.

Take the cash out of the ATM and you get one controller for $25 (again ATM fee or taxes not included.

Sheesh :roll:[/QUOTE]

How smart is it to buy two for $75 when you can buy 2 for $50 before taxes with 2 transactions? The way you're doing it is pretty damn retarded and a complete waste since that second move controller would qualify for an additional $25 bonus. Do you just plan on ignoring that extra $25 if you bought a 2nd with the Pass card?

Applying for the Pass Card is not the same as a credit card, they don't even ask for a social security or anything (no credit pulls or anytihign0. It's essentially just like buying a giftcard for someone. So really, there's nothing stopping you from putting down another name in two transactions and getting both for $50 before taxes.

[quote name='ssjmichael']How smart is it to buy two for $75 when you can buy 2 for $50 before taxes with 2 transactions? The way you're doing it is pretty damn retarded and a complete waste since that second move controller would qualify for an additional $25 bonus. Do you just plan on ignoring that extra $25 if you bought a 2nd with the Pass card?

Applying for the Pass Card is not the same as a credit card, they don't even ask for a social security or anything (no credit pulls or anytihign0. It's essentially just like buying a giftcard for someone. So really, there's nothing stopping you from putting down another name in two transactions and getting both for $50 before taxes.[/QUOTE]

They do ask for the parents SS number on the second page of the checkout process. Supposedly, this is for verification purposes if you have to make changes to the account.

[quote name='ssjmichael']How smart is it to buy two for $75 when you can buy 2 for $50 before taxes with 2 transactions? The way you're doing it is pretty damn retarded and a complete waste since that second move controller would qualify for an additional $25 bonus. Do you just plan on ignoring that extra $25 if you bought a 2nd with the Pass card?

Applying for the Pass Card is not the same as a credit card, they don't even ask for a social security or anything (no credit pulls or anytihign0. It's essentially just like buying a giftcard for someone. So really, there's nothing stopping you from putting down another name in two transactions and getting both for $50 before taxes.[/QUOTE]

Umm... You did read my entire post right?

I said if you did it in two transactions it would work.

The whole point in my obeservation, is that using the card from the first transaction to buy another controller (based on your example quoted below) results in no additional savings.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Wouldn't it be $50 for two controllers?

This is how I will likely do it:

1.) Buy the controller for $49.99 (before taxes)

2.) buy the AMEX Card with promo code for $25

3.) Wait a few weeks for the bonus $25

4.) Cash out the entire $50 at an ATM machine ($1.50 surcharge)

So basically the controllers are $25 each before taxes.[/QUOTE]

Where in your example does it mention doing two bonus offers?

[quote name='1HiTekTexan']Where in your example does it mention doing two bonus offers?[/QUOTE]

I figured common sense would allow people to figure that if you did all those steps and got it for $25 before taxes. You do the exact same thing again and get another (1 x 2 = 2). Much smarter than using a $50 card, $25 of which is your own money used only to get the other $25 from GS towards another Move. That would be pretty stupid. I still ask what you would do with the remaining $25 offer in that situation. You're paying $75 unnecessarily AND you're not using the bonus $25 AMEX credit. That's just great huh.

Sheesh :roll:

Thanks OP! Very nice find. And thanks for your hard work too ssj. The concept of buying either 1 controller for $25, or 2 for $50 if you do the deal twice is not that tough people. And it sounds like doubling up will work fine.

If ky is right about needing social security its gonna be more tricky to do twice. But just say the deal is 1 for $25, then full price for any additional. Possibly multiple for $25 each with more legwork...but its not a 2 for $75 deal. That will confuse people into thinking its a B1G1 kinda thing. Any additional controllers you want to buy at full price has nothing to do with this great deal.

Guys, you don't need to go to an ATM to withdraw money off these cards. They are debit cards, backed by American Express. You can reload them with more money if you choose to do so, but you can swipe it just like any debt/credit card.

[quote name='cmb00']that sucks for those of us that purchased it the day it came out.[/QUOTE]

Did you buy multiple controllers? Because if you have just one you'd still benefit in many games by getting another. If you did buy two, then yeah, sorry lol.

Nice, I already have the camera (Eye of Judgement) and the DS3 can act as the sub controller, right? I'll pick up 2 of these, and prolly even redeem the purchase with points on my sony card, making a ~25.00 profit on each controller! Thanks for the deal!

ssjmichael, If I offended you I aplogize.

I'm not recommending using the PASS card to purchase another controller.

Your example wasn't clear (at least to me) that you were talking about using this offer twice.

Thanks again to the OP. In for one.:applause:

[quote name='Zmonkay']Nice, I already have the camera (Eye of Judgement) and the DS3 can act as the sub controller, right? I'll pick up 2 of these, and prolly even redeem the purchase with points on my sony card, making a ~25.00 profit on each controller! Thanks for the deal![/QUOTE]

Yep the DS3 can be used as the navigation controller. Good point with the Sony card, I think I'll do that too. I've yet to do one of those purchase credit things from Sony rewards.

[quote name='1HiTekTexan']ssjmichael, If I offended you I aplogize.

I'm not recommending using the PASS card to purchase another controller.

Your example wasn't clear (at least to me) that you were talking about using this offer twice.

Thanks again to the OP. In for one.:applause:[/QUOTE]

No prob, sorry I wasn't very polite. I think I just got annoyed because I got it and so many didn't, but I could have done better to explain that I implied two transactions :)

I'm sorry too if I was short, let's all be happy while we play with our new glowing balls. Wait, what?

I finally was able to make use of one of those non-stackable Gamestop coupons I had, so that made this even sweeter.

this sounds like an interesting deal

but the thing that i dont understand is how everyone keeps saying theyd go to an atm with a $50 card, get charged $1.50 to withdraw it and get $48.50

i have NEVER EVER seen an atm that spits out $1's, $5's, or quarters hell its almost completely impossible to find one that spits out $10's anymore

[quote name='xplocvo']I finally was able to make use of one of those non-stackable Gamestop coupons I had, so that made this even sweeter.[/QUOTE]

That is pure genius! I forgot all about my non-stackable credit, so I can use that up too. 5 star deal all the way.

OP is pretty clear cleaver. It says it works in store and no you dont need to use AmEx

K, I was curous about the actual card policies, wanted to make sure there were no hidden fees, so I called AmEx. This info would be good in the OP.

-There are no start up, monthly, or transaction fees with the card. There is a $4 a month fee, but it is being waived until October 2011. So until then, none. There is a fee of $1.50 per withdrawl with an ATM but unless customer service was not telling me everything, thats it.
-Card can be cancelled at anytime with no fees
-Phone number to cancel card: 1-877-405-7277 (International Collect 1-801-945-9559)
-So, this deal is good to go. I also noticed that an adult can order up to 3 cards. So getting multiples should work, but if someone else wants to research that go ahead. Im just going to get one

[quote name='ssjmichael']Stop right at your first sentence. You realize that if you did this with one controller it would be $25. Please explain why you can't do that exact thing at another Gamestop and with another Pass card and get another for $25.

I don;t get why people feel they need to use the Pass card to buy another Move controller, considering it'll take weeks to get it. You people are seriously not making any sense. You acknowledge one outright is $25 out of pocket, but somehow two come to $37.50 each. Makes no damn sense.[/QUOTE]

Because it says one PS Move offer per customer on AMEX's website. I'm assuming you might be able to get around this if you have a different way of funding each PASS card.

[quote name='Azarius']this sounds like an interesting deal

but the thing that i dont understand is how everyone keeps saying theyd go to an atm with a $50 card, get charged $1.50 to withdraw it and get $48.50

i have NEVER EVER seen an atm that spits out $1's, $5's, or quarters hell its almost completely impossible to find one that spits out $10's anymore[/QUOTE]

I knew a local bank in college that somehow spit out $5. But that was 13 years ago.

[quote name='mitch079']Because it says one PS Move offer per customer on AMEX's website. I'm assuming you might be able to get around this if you have a different way of funding each PASS card.[/QUOTE]

Where does it say 1 per customer? I have 2 accounts ....can't I get 2?? It says 3 pass cards per person...

I tried to use one of those $20 coupons on the PS Move wand, but it doesn't work. Anyone have any clue? I got the code from Halo: Reach.

I didnt see anything about that posted, but some states can't have the Pass card.
This is on Amex's FAQ page:

Are there any geographical restrictions to purchasing the PASS Card?
The PASS Card is not available for sale in Arkansas, New Hampshire and Vermont. The PASS Card is also not available in California at this time. Cards purchased by residents in other states cannot be shipped to these four states. In addition, American Express does not sell or ship the Card outside the United States.

wow what a bummer i thought this was as close as GS would get to Kmart deal....and i ordered one and then the bummer :whistle2:S not available in california !!!

Did anyone bought this in California and received the Code instore today?

[quote name='harish7447']Where does it say 1 per customer? I have 2 accounts ....can't I get 2?? It says 3 pass cards per person...[/QUOTE]

It's right in the OP and on the link, One PS Move offer per customer. It's in the footnote numbered three on the website as well. If they're verifying social security #s when you sign up for a PASS card, as someone else mentioned, one would have to assume there's no way around it without getting someone else to sign up for the second card.

bread's done
Back