Borders 40% off any one item in-store only 11/28 (Strategy Guides)

Am I reading the coupon correctly that I have to be a Rewards member to use it at all? I'm sure that I'm not, does it cost money? I'm usually a Half Price Books only person but I would take advantage of this coupon.

Edit: Looked over their website some more and saw that they have a free version of their Rewards. Sorry guys, still very sleepy this morning.

On another note, anyone know from experience if they track it based on your Rewards account or can you use the coupon at more than 1 Borders location?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used multiple coupons at Borders w/o any issue at both the same and different locations. Only one coupon per item per transaction, though. If I'm buying 2 items, I usually buy the second item at the cafe.

Borders has their free rewards membership... this gets you email coupons that bounce between 25/30/40 percent off. with the odd rare 50 around certain holidays or events. They also usually send special coupons with higher discounts for some new releases.

Then there's the rewards PLUS membership, you pay for it, and it gives you 10% off ON TOP of other discounts.

Most, if not ALL coupons these days require you to be a borders rewards free member at the very least.

Thanks OP! I've been getting a lot of coupons from them lately but I haven't received a 40% off in a while. I'm going to end up getting the second Mass Effect book this weekend due to this.

I (may) work for Borders... :) Yes, you need the rewards card in order to get the coupon to work. Just sign up for a free one when you check out (you just need an e-mail and telephone number). The PLUS membership gives you an extra 10% as well as free shipping on Borders.com, but it's $20 a year.

The coupon is for 40% off the "List Price"...which is never the real price on the shelf anyway. Amazon guides will still be cheaper in most instances. Never know though...you might find one of those "Tales of..." guides that go for $80+ on ebay. YMMV.

My Borders are hit or miss for strategy guides. The guides are either too old or too beat-up to buy. But if you do find what you want, the coupon is a good discount.

It's a good general use coupon. It sometimes is a hit or miss with guides, provided that you use the online inventory system. I got the DQIX guide a while back with a coupon.

I swear I thought this coupon was one-time use only as it says, and had a unique barcode on it. Hmm, well anyway, why didn't I get one of these? lol I usually get coupons in my email but only for 33% off, this is much better. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks OP!

Thanks OP, managed to pick up the all the Halo novels(both 3 packs) with this, used a secondary email address for the second one.

I used this to buy 2 new books for my mom. Not game related, but thanks OP! :D

(FYI: I printed out 2 coupons and we each checked out separately, they didn't let me use one coupon on more than one item)

@Japakneez

Are you looking at a different coupon than I am?

When I click the link it says "Valid 10/1/10 through 10/4/10"

[quote name='DizoAZ']@Japakneez

Are you looking at a different coupon than I am?

When I click the link it says "Valid 10/1/10 through 10/4/10"[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Looks like my update changed the text and not the link itself. Its working right now.

You have to pick and choose for a good value for game guides on this coupon.

If you can find any old guides that are hard to find anywhere else, it's an easy thought to use it. However, most of the guides that are normally $19.99 retail are usually $12-$13 on Amazon, and the $24.99 guides are normally $16-$17 on Amazon. After tax figured into the mix, it usually ends up being a wash on the coupon use.

If you can get 50% out of the coupon with the Borders + membership, then you'd come out ahead.

Would they stack the coupon with the membership to make it come out to being 50% off or would they use the 40% off coupon and then the 10% off of that "sub-total". I know that is how department stores usually do it, when you use a coupon and buy something that has a percentage coming off at the register. If that is the case then it wouldn't be 50%, but more like 45-46% off.

[quote name='Steelpen2']Would they stack the coupon with the membership to make it come out to being 50% off or would they use the 40% off coupon and then the 10% off of that "sub-total". I know that is how department stores usually do it, when you use a coupon and buy something that has a percentage coming off at the register. If that is the case then it wouldn't be 50%, but more like 45-46% off.[/QUOTE]

That's the way Barnes and Noble does it. 40% off and then 10% off of that. I can't imagine that Borders does it differently. If it was different, the stickers they put on their books would say 40% off (50% off for members) instead of 40% off (Members Save An Additional 10%) Most people just assume 40% off plus an additional 10% = 50% off.

Agreed with Shrike... These coupons bring you to what it would have been if you had just ordered through Amazon...

These coupons are great if you have any CD box sets that you were waiting for... Last time this coupon was live, I bought the Tom Petty Playback box set for cheaper than I could have gotten it anywhere else - even used... So that was cool. There are probably a few more that I'd like to use this on if I ever have the extra cash...

I got screwed on a guide at Borders
I saw they had SMG2 CE guide in stock but I had no reasonable coupon at the time. So I waited two weeks when I got a 40% off email, I check online store availablity and my store's listing state: "Likely in stock".
I got there and no more SMG2 CE. A sale rep. looked it up, guide sent back to warehouse.

I was hoping to find a Starcraft 2 CE guide, but both the stores I checked were pretty barren as far as guides went. I did pick up a new Mass Effect 1 guide for $12 as well as the Fable paperback. I've still got $83 on a giftcard, so here's hoping for another 40% coupon.

What section do they keep their game guides? I've never seen any at Borders, but then, I've never looked.

This coupon is nothing, by the way. My Borders is closing this week, and after weeks of liquidation, the discounts are now up to.... uh.... oh. 40%. Yay.

The new coupon is for 33% off and is good through 10/14. Hopefully, it goes back up to 40% in time for the Borderlands GOTY Hardcover guide.

gantt - IIRC, the guides can be found near the "computer games" or "puzzle/games" section.

[quote name='emg28']The new coupon is for 33% off and is good through 10/14. Hopefully, it goes back up to 40% in time for the Borderlands GOTY Hardcover guide.

gantt - IIRC, the guides can be found near the "computer games" or "puzzle/games" section.[/QUOTE]

Link for the new coupon?

[quote name='Bezerker']My stores keep all their guides in "Science Fiction & Fantasy"[/QUOTE]

[quote name='emg28']gantt - IIRC, the guides can be found near the "computer games" or "puzzle/games" section.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. I checked out the sci fi/fantasy section at the store that is closing and they had nada - but that means little since they're liquidating inventory. I'll have to check a different store - if they're still in existence - next time there's a similar coupon. It will have to be a classic guide for me to spend 60% of list, though.

Don't have a local Borders, but I get these coupons in my email about once a week...

Cashed in some e-rewards points a few times for Borders Bucks so now they send me tons of stuff.

Good deal though...

Borders has CD's right? i remember going into a book store and seeing a "Court of the Crimson King" and a "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and a few Charles Mingus CDs... just can't remember if it was a borders or barns and noble (i shop half price books so idk), around how much are they? 20ish? i would pay anything below 15 for one of the harder to find ones new or remastered (i have never seen a new "black saint and the sinner lady" - Mingus, and i have been wanting one).

bread's done
Back