Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Sleeper Hit of 2010?

Bezerker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (97%)
I searched around and didn't see a thread for Enslaved, Ninja Theory's new game. I started it yesterday morning and beat it later that night. All I can say is that the game is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4oLZR3Qx8

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/enslaved-odyssey-to-the-west

Game has an 81 on Metacritic, which isnt too bad. If you like Action RPG's with beautiful visuals and great acting/dialogue, you will love this game. CAGcast co-host Shipwreck gave it an "Outstanding" review:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=16917

So has anyone else played this yet? I'm getting ready to do my play through on hard.

I thought it was a pretty good game. I had some issues with the controls being unresponsive and slightly crap at times, but beyond that it was good. I think the story could have used a bit more fleshing out, but overall I was happy with it.

Just finished up Dead Rising so Im going to dive into this next.

Only thing I don't like is I heard it's short and lacks replay value (that's what she said?)

[quote name='timesplitt']went to rent it at blockbuster and they didn't carry it because Blockbuster is a low profile company.[/QUOTE]

^^ Fixed. I think it's a newly unwritten rule that any game with a Gamer Gift Card promo at K-mart is automatically a high-profile game.

[quote name='Bezerker']I started it yesterday morning and beat it later that night. [/QUOTE]

Bought it today, beat it tonight. Couldn't agree more, one of the better games I've played in a while.

Just a fantastic story, very few games would I describe as unputdownable, but this is definitely one of them. In terms of the way the story sucks you in and makes you care about the characters, the only comparison I can think of is Uncharted.

I'll definitely be playing it again, perhaps several times. I'd recommend anyone who's on the fence pick it up.

Question for anyone who's played it: Can you think of a game with better facial animations than this one? I play a lot of games, and for sure it has the best I've seen by a significant margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is absolutely amazing. I'm on Chapter 13, knowing the game is going to end soon I want to savor the moment. When that moment comes I'll play again and again until the DLC comes out. This is definitely sleeper hit of the year! Love it.

I was a little disappointed with the length, ending, and difficultly, but other then that was a really good game.

I only died once or twice due to it being on Hard and I could have easily avoided that by paying more attention.

The only thing I really disliked about the ending is that it left me wanting more. I liked what they did, but it kind of just.. ends.

Big fan of Alex Garland, I had no idea that he was doing the writing for this project. He's one of the better screenplay writers for genre flicks. Him and Danny Boyle have done some of the best as of date up there with Chris Nolan's flicks...28 Days Later, Sunshine, the Beach...

Can anyone spoil the story for me, lol? Normally I'll read a summary on wikipedia but they don't have one and I want to know what happens.

Monkey all day!! Loved the game
and is it just me or is Castle:LOS one god and no nipple away from being a god of war 4 and dante inferno 2 package

At least everyone enjoys it, though the fact most of you bought it and beat it on the same day is a bit worrisome for a $60 game. Then again I spent $80 on Alan Wake and didn't regret beating that in two days.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']At least everyone enjoys it, though the fact most of you bought it and beat it on the same day is a bit worrisome for a $60 game. Then again I spent $80 on Alan Wake and didn't regret beating that in two days.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a game I'll play again. Really, most action-adventure games can be beaten in a day, it's just par for the course. To use your example, it's not any shorter than Alan Wake was. Really I'd say it speaks more to the fact that the game is impossible to put down.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']At least everyone enjoys it, though the fact most of you bought it and beat it on the same day is a bit worrisome for a $60 game. Then again I spent $80 on Alan Wake and didn't regret beating that in two days.[/QUOTE]

Enslaved can be had for much much cheaper if you look at the kmart sticky.

I would have liked this game if the stupid girl hadn't killed me so many times for wandering off in the wrong direction. How the hell can you form an emotional bond with someone that kills you just for exploring a little bit? It is a horrible gameplay mechanic. Why does it give you such a short time to return after making it more difficult to move and making you disoriented when notifying you that you're going the wrong way?

With emotional involvement with the characters detached it was just a solid action/adventure game.

Can't wait to play this. I'm not sure whether I should ask for it for a birthday present later this month or bite the bullet and pick it up at Kmart.

Well off to lunch and going to pick up Enslaved. The glowing praise I've heard for it has pulled me in. Looks like Alan Wake will wait another week or two.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I keep meaning to pick this one up. I was excited about it when I first read about in GI like a year ago.[/QUOTE]Same here, though the lack of replay save for achievement whoring and the length are making me hesitate at $60.

I decided to spring for Amazon's DOTD price since the reviews have been so great. The campaign length sounds perfect to me, I like them short and sweet, Gears 2 is like my gold standard for action game campaigns. And the character interaction really sounds like something special.

[quote name='shrike4242']Same here, though the lack of replay save for achievement whoring and the length are making me hesitate at $60.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same, exact reason I'm holding off. $60 is a lot to put down for something I will probably only play once or twice. I cleared my GF queue, so even though it has a low availability, hopefully it will ship.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Pretty much the same, exact reason I'm holding off. $60 is a lot to put down for something I will probably only play once or twice. I cleared my GF queue, so even though it has a low availability, hopefully it will ship.[/QUOTE]For the purchasing, KMart's purchase with $25 coupon this week, or picking it up for $30 with Vanquish at $60 w/$20 coupon for next week seems like ways to do it.

Not sure if Vanquish is a $60 purchase either, so we'll have to wait on reviews for that.

Hmmm, with the Vanquish deal, you get a $20 coupon and can buy Enslaved for $30? That sounds like a pretty awesome deal. I've been meaning to get in on some of these KMart deals, but frankly, the only KMart near me is very sketchy and full of idiotic employees. Do these deals automatically come up in the system, or do I have to rely on the "knowledge" of employees?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Hmmm, with the Vanquish deal, you get a $20 coupon and can buy Enslaved for $30? That sounds like a pretty awesome deal. I've been meaning to get in on some of these KMart deals, but frankly, the only KMart near me is very sketchy and full of idiotic employees. Do these deals automatically come up in the system, or do I have to rely on the "knowledge" of employees?[/QUOTE]The coupon is supposed to auto-print during the transaction, and the discounts are supposed to auto-deducted at time of purchase.

There's two SHC reps in the KMart thread that will help with individual store issues with these promotions, if you run into one. The OP of that thread will show the deal that comes up starting on Sunday with the promotions.

Thanks for the info, shrike. I think I might very well go with that KMart deal. Though I doubt Vanquish will be worth $60 to me, getting Enslaved that cheap is basically getting both for $45 each, plus the gaming coupon.

So I got hold of it and started Saturday. Couldn't put it down. Wow just freaking wow. I'm on Chapter 12 right now and want to get back to it. I probably won't as my kids have girl scouts but I have to say the story really is as good as everyone says.

Camera is awful during combat. Chapter 8 after getting windmill going.....camera is wonky, can't see enemies, always behind me.....playing on hard and am getting frustrated by cheap hits off camera.

The camera angle with the staff is outright annoying a lot of the time but the story is wonderful and overall I enjoyed my first playthrough. Going to go back now and try it on hard for more achievements :)

I beat Enslaved on hard a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, but I just rented the game. As good as Enslaved is, it really doesn't offer up any reason to play through again or warrant a full price purchase.

I know these forums aren't meant for the deal discussion, but the game is $25 at Amazon today. A must pick up for everyone at that price.

[quote name='Bezerker']I know these forums aren't meant for the deal discussion, but the game is $25 at Amazon today. A must pick up for everyone at that price.[/QUOTE]

This.

I ordered it for $25 and have the trade-in locked in at $31. I have until Nov. 16th to send it in, so a very nice, and slightly profitable, one week rental. I hope I can actually complete it in a week - I usually take a long time to finish games, IF I complete them. If I like it, though, I suppose I'll keep it.

Just beat this last night. I only played through on Easy so I could enjoy the story ( the main reason why I decided to play it ). Gameplay ( fighting ) felt pretty average and the platforming aspects felt similar to Prince of Persia. And I enjoyed the hell out of Prince of Persia for just the button timing aspects. By the end of the game I really had the feeling of wanting more. A lot could have been explored with the gameplay mechanics and I wish that it would have but I think the story would have suffered.

[quote name='bvharris']Question for anyone who's played it: Can you think of a game with better facial animations than this one? I play a lot of games, and for sure it has the best I've seen by a significant margin.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this game has some of the bes facial animations. I didn't notice it at first ( mainly because the emotions don't rise and dip until later in the game ) but it is extremely noticable at the end. Trip's facial expression felt more profound but Monkey had some good moments too. The thing that kept wigging me out ( and I haven't researched it yet ) but Monkey's face completely looked like the guy from all of the mask short videos. Anybody else notice that too?

Definitely one of my favorite games of all time. Can't wait for the DLC! Also wish they would throw in a basic multiplayer system almost like splinter cell where you can climb around and then fight people... I think it would be fun

[quote name='RedBeardRaven']
Yes, this game has some of the bes facial animations. I didn't notice it at first ( mainly because the emotions don't rise and dip until later in the game ) but it is extremely noticable at the end. Trip's facial expression felt more profound but Monkey had some good moments too. The thing that kept wigging me out ( and I haven't researched it yet ) but Monkey's face completely looked like the guy from all of the mask short videos. Anybody else notice that too?[/QUOTE]

He should, both are played by Andy Serkis.

bread's done
Back