Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Sleeper Hit of 2010?

Ah, I figured so, but wasn't certain. I didn't read the credits but they looked so much alike, that kind of changes the story for me now. I wonder, and assume now, that it was intentional.

Thanks bvharris.

Just finished it today. I really enjoyed it, definitely one of my favorite games this year. After reading about it being too short and too easy, I decided to play it on Hard, which I almost never do with games. I'm glad I did; it gave it a nice level of challenge. I'm not sure if I'll play it all the way through again, but I'll at least be going back to replay certain chapters to get a few achievements I missed on my first playthrough.

I got my $25 copy from Amazon today and played through the first chapter and part of the 2nd. So far I'm enjoying it. I won't be one found touting the story, which is generic, but I don't care about that. It's a fun game, which is what matters.

Ok, so I was having fun with this, but then I ran into a bug, or at least I presume it was a bug. I was at the fight with that robot that you can only shoot in the face and you get to the point where you have to taunt it and have it charge at you... and it charged right into the wall and seemed to get stuck. It kept telling me I had to damage it before I could taunt it, but hitting it with anything did nothing, and it kept trying to run through the wall. Well, I presume it wasn't suppose to be doing this. When I had to force restart back to the last checkpoint and had to go through it all again I turned it off for the day.

Also I hate how Monkey sometimes won't jump when I hit the jump button and instead he does a roll. I'll be pushing toward a ledge, hit the jump button and the dummy will roll. I sometimes have to try 2 or 3 times before finally he decides to jump up instead. So the controls in this game are occasionally frustrating, though not majorly.

Finished the game yesterday and thought it was really good. It has very good, but not great graphics. The fighting isn't the best out there either. There is just something really damn compelling about this game.

I wish the DLC was more Monkey and Trip (get more in-depth with the story), but exploring a side-plot about Pigsy is pretty cool. Makes me wonder if the DLC was originally part of the game and then they took it out for continuity.

I didn't make it past chapter 5. If you aren't into video game "stories" you probably aren't going to make it much farther. Moreover the game is pretty dopey. Like a bad action movie, but worse, and it's not a movie. Gameplay-wise it's just the same stuff over and over. Not even variety in enemies. Partway through chapter 5 I hung it up, so not exactly game of the year material for me. I sent it back to amazon (for a small profit, so yeah!) Obviously all IMHO and YMMV!

I beat this game last week and it is pretty average. The graphics were very nice but gameplay was average at best. Pigsy was hilarious though and loved the cloud parts. Like crunchewy said the enemies being the same over and over got kind of boring. The controls felt like they could have been better too. I would have liked the game a lot more if I wasn't playing as Trip's bitch the whole time and could go farther than 10 feet from her.

The game is kind of dull to replay. Having to replay an entire chapter just to make it to a certain boss fight for a certain achievement is lame. Wish they would have had selectable checkpoints when you pick a chapter. Not being able to skip some of the cutscenes made it more boring to replay as well. Also would have been nice to be able to view your progress for Tech Orbs/masks while playing and not have to go to chapter select.

Finally got around to putting this one in the 360, and I can definitely see why people are falling in love with it. Only got to play a couple of chapters, but I love it so far. The tech orb collection is a pain in the ass, though. Don't know if I will ever bother getting that achievement. I tried looking at a list while I played Chapter 2, but I still must of have missed one or two, because I only got 98%. And now, I have no clue which one I missed.

i never had a problem with controls so if a person lowered their view of the game because of that then i don't know, i never had a problem with controls. if i did have any control problems they were caused more by the environment or the enemies crowding me

Anyone play the DLC? Haven't seen any reviews yet. I'm interested, but $10 seems kind of steep. I'm cautious about DLC ever since Pinnacle Station...

What did you guys think of the ending? I just finished the game and feel like I wasted my time. Nothing in the game is done very well, except for the animations. The fighting and platforming are average. The story is pretty lite.

What's really disappointing is that there probably won't be a sequel because of how poorly this sold. I really would appreciate this game more if the story was fleshed out. We will probably never know what the enslaved world is really about.

[quote name='Blank Earth']Anyone play the DLC? Haven't seen any reviews yet. I'm interested, but $10 seems kind of steep. I'm cautious about DLC ever since Pinnacle Station...[/QUOTE]

I was coming to ask the same thing, also does the DLC have any achievements?

Beat this game over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Loved the teams first game Heavenly Sword and I think this one stands out even more in story and cut scenes. Great use of facial animation.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I was coming to ask the same thing, also does the DLC have any achievements?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the game was updated to show the DLC's achievements. I think every $10 expansion has achievements.

I'm on chapter 3 right now and I'm really not liking it.The controls aren't really the best.Monkey is Trap's bitch.When ever I try jumping Monkey rolls.Not really liking it hopefully I can at least try to forget about all that and just beat it.

I'm torn because, you're right Gears 24. The controls and camera do a lot against the game. They went for cinematic presentation vs. good game controls and that's a no-no.

But, the game is fun and you can't argue with the production value. It's worth the price of admission and time for the dialogue alone. I'm playing on hard (1st time through) and there are some real challenging parts. Some of those are pretty cheap, too. But, in the end, I'm determined to see it through to the end. It's not exactly a long game, but definitely worth the $25 it was at Amazon when I got it.

Oh, and, as much as I really do like the dialogue and character interaction.....Trip really is a whiney self-centered bitch. At least so far.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I'm torn because, you're right Gears 24. The controls and camera do a lot against the game. They went for cinematic presentation vs. good game controls and that's a no-no.

But, the game is fun and you can't argue with the production value. It's worth the price of admission and time for the dialogue alone. I'm playing on hard (1st time through) and there are some real challenging parts. Some of those are pretty cheap, too. But, in the end, I'm determined to see it through to the end. It's not exactly a long game, but definitely worth the $25 it was at Amazon when I got it.

Oh, and, as much as I really do like the dialogue and character interaction.....Trip really is a whiney self-centered bitch. At least so far.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I actually played more today went from chapter 3 to chapter 6 and I'm kinda starting to like it a little more,but yeah I know I would probably beat this game twice as I started playing on easy and I want to get the achievement for hard also.Lol yeah Trip is pretty whiny at least in the beginning chapters not sure about later chapters.

Beat the game on hard on second playthrough. Love it, but Jesus I wish there was more. Also for some reason the game won't give me the save Tripp from the rhino in 35 seconds or less achievement. I Tried reloading save points and restarting the level, but still nothing.

Finished Pigsy's Perfect 10. It was short (about 3 hours), but I didn't mind and it felt fun revisiting the world of Enslaved from a different perspective. Plus Pigsy plays totally different then the main quest since he takes damage alot more easily and no where as agile or strong as Monkey. Makes for some nice variety, the game requires alot of sneaking around, though once you get the hang of the controls and using distractions it gets alot of fun. Plus it's a whole different story taking place before the game with a different style of cut scenes. Overall I liked, but don't know if it's for everyone.

I beat my 1st play-though on easy a couple days ago.Currently playing hard and collecting all Tech-orbs wow that is really annoying.Currently on chapter 5 haven't been able to play much with school.

Trip looks almost exactly like "the one that got away" from my college dating days so I have a major weakspot for her. The cut scenes are fantastic and I don't have the same problem that every one else seems to with the camera. Yeah, it's jumpy, but it isn't the worst ever by any stretch of the imagination.

I beat this game, didn't really think it was all that great. It was visually stunning, especially the world that is conveyed, and the ending was really interesting. The only problem with the game for me, it feels underwhelming at times and doesn't hold my interest anymore after beating it.

I got this through Amazon's $20 deal but I don't really like it nearly as much as I thought I would which makes me sad because I was super excited. The controls in my opinion feel very "loose", I run into the whole issue of Monkey rolling while trying to jump which kinda takes me out of the game. I just finished AC: Brotherhood and I'm used to super fluid controls while jumping & climbing but I'm just not feeling it in this.

I'm going to play a few more hours today and see if I can get into it some more.

May have spoke too soon. After the 3rd or 4th chapter I started getting really immersed in the story and the controls become a lot more natural. I think that playing this RIGHT after AC: Brotherhood may have had something to do with having a rough time with the controls in the beginning.

I'm still a little confused on the end though. How do you make spoiler tags so I can ask a few questions? Thanks.

[quote name='Nealocus123']May have spoke too soon. After the 3rd or 4th chapter I started getting really immersed in the story and the controls become a lot more natural. I think that playing this RIGHT after AC: Brotherhood may have had something to do with having a rough time with the controls in the beginning.

I'm still a little confused on the end though. How do you make spoiler tags so I can ask a few questions? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
You've been CAG for over five years. How do you not know how to do spoiler tags?! Basically go into advanced reply and on the second row of buttons, the last one will have one that looks like a smiley with a covered mouth. Click on it and a spoiler tag will become available to type in.

Started it and couldn't put it down -- which is rare for me. The last game that did that to me was Splinter Cell Conviction (and before that, Twilight Princess). I thought the game was great from a presentation standpoint. I admit that the gameplay was a bit ho-hum at times, but the characters felt so incredibly alive that I enjoyed the whole experience regardless.

Enslaved is one of those games that fall short in many places, but the sum of its parts make it better. I paid $25 during one of Amazon's sales and I'm very happy with the purchase. I agree with others here that it's not the type of game you play more than once, but I like to have it in my library because I can popping it in now and then and definitely down the road for another play-through.

[quote name='bardockkun']You've been CAG for over five years. How do you not know how to do spoiler tags?! Basically go into advanced reply and on the second row of buttons, the last one will have one that looks like a smiley with a covered mouth. Click on it and a spoiler tag will become available to type in.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I've never really had to use them.

How does the DLC play out since Pigsy dies (or at least it seems that way)? Also I don't understand why the human with all the memories had Mechs kill and enslave people. Does use them to save his previous memories?

[quote name='romeogbs19']Started it and couldn't put it down -- which is rare for me. The last game that did that to me was Splinter Cell Conviction (and before that, Twilight Princess). I thought the game was great from a presentation standpoint. I admit that the gameplay was a bit ho-hum at times, but the characters felt so incredibly alive that I enjoyed the whole experience regardless.

Enslaved is one of those games that fall short in many places, but the sum of its parts make it better. I paid $25 during one of Amazon's sales and I'm very happy with the purchase. I agree with others here that it's not the type of game you play more than once, but I like to have it in my library because I can popping it in now and then and definitely down the road for another play-through.[/QUOTE]

well put. just finished this myself over a weekend and really really enjoyed it. perfect length for me, excellent characters (both from an art and acting perspective), and the story wasn't too shabby either.

curious about the dlc, but will probably steer clear for now. I hope this game sold well enough to keep the team that made it together to make something else.

wanted to toss my 2 cents up in here. just finished this game and pigsy dlc the other day and i really enjoyed it to be honest. the combat was kind of frustrating at first but once you start upgrading it becomes more fun. i also thought pigsy was funny, alot of good moments with him like when monkey asks how he got his name. this game also was really good with expressions. a few of my favorite moments were
the fish tank scene, that was really well done and it made me feel sad and also when pigsy asks trip how her dad is and they dont say a word but there faces say it all.

the acting in general in this game was awesome it felt like how real people would act as opposed to tossing out one liners and stuff like that. i liked the ending as well.
when trip asks "did i do the right thing?" im like hmmm did you? these people werent actual slaves but is it better for them to live in there "other" world while the one around them is dying.

good game, i'll be jumping back in to collect some more stuff grab a few more easy achievements.

[quote name='Nealocus123']I dunno, I've never really had to use them.

How does the DLC play out since Pigsy dies (or at least it seems that way)? Also I don't understand why the human with all the memories had Mechs kill and enslave people. Does use them to save his previous memories?
[/QUOTE]

I also never really had to use spoilers and I've been a CAG for many years as well.

The DLC is apparently a prequel, so events of the main campaign aren't reflected in it.

As far as the campaign plot:
Pyramid is probably more than a little insane. He's apparently over 100 years old, so being senile is a possibility as well. Using the mechs to enslave and/or kill people was probably an easy logically leap for anyone who is that corrupted over time. Also, I'm not sure that all of the mechs were under his control either, maybe just the scorpions at the end and the fleet inside of the slaver ship. It wasn't very clear. Pyramid only wanted more memories so the people could continue living in the fantasy world of the past, and enslaving the remaining humans of the world to round these memories up was as good a plan as any to him.

There are definitely two different "factions" of mechs-- the ones left over from the war who are just programmed to kill humans, and the Pyramid mechs who are trying to kidnap them and bring them to Pyramid.

What doesn't make sense is that at the beginning of the game, the mechs refer to their ship as a slave ship and the people they kidnapped as slaves. Pyramid thinks that he's saving people, not enslaving them, so why would he program the mechs to refer to themselves as slavers?

bread's done
Back