New Mortal Kombat Tournament/Kollector's Edition @ Gamestop $99.99/$149.99 360/PS3

TheNeck

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Pre-order only, not out till April 26, 2011 according to Amazon.

Kollector's Edition Info
-Kollectible figurines of Scorpion and Sub-Zero that double up as video game ‘bookends’ for your favorite Mortal Kombat games.
-A 110+ page book featuring original concept sketches and game art from the 2011 version of Mortal Kombat.

Tournament Edition Info
-Mortal Kombat Fight Stick (More information about the joystick, thanks wargamer.)
-High quality, authentic Suzo Happ arcade parts for the ultimate in performance
-Features the classic Mortal Kombat ergonomic button layout to best optimize game play.
-Flip open lid for easy arcade part customization access and storage.

360 Kollector's Editon $99.99
PS3 Kollector's Edition $99.99

360 Tournament Edition
$149.99
PS3 Tournament Edition $149.99

Amazon PS3 Tournament Edition $149.99
Amazon 360 Tournament Edition $149.99
(thanks bojay1997 for the link to amazon)

I can't decide which one to pre-order. :whistle2:(

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought all you get for the kollectors edition is those figurines and artbook for $100 until i clicked on the gs link.. you get a lot more. you should list those too.

if i were you.. i would get the tournament edition if you don't already own a joystick. that joystick looks pretty nifty.

i have a sf4 te r2 and the buttons aren't in mk layout... so not sure if i can justify another 150 for the te edition.. but think of it has 60 for the game and 110 for the joystick + extras. i could always make a plexiglass faceplate for my sf4 te just for the mk layout, but that would be a bitch to change out everytime just to play 1 game..

I kinda want the stick but I don't wanna shell out $150 for 1 game. Especially w/ other games releasing in April as well.

I'll think I pre-order both and see how they both look.

Should swap out the buttons and stick as soon as you get it, not sure what brand they're using but if its the typical knock-offs they'll break down easily. Looks like concave buttons, makes me think Happ/il buttons and stick would work, if anyone wants to geek out on the stick and mod it.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']That is the fucking ugliest button layout I've ever seen in my entire life.[/QUOTE]

It is if you've played nothing but Street Fighter all your life, but to a Mortal Kombat fan, its a thing of beauty. Button layout makes perfect sense.

HP........HK
....Block....
LP........LK

[quote name='kitsunisan']It is if you've played nothing but Street Fighter all your life, but to a Mortal Kombat fan, its a thing of beauty. Button layout makes perfect sense.[/QUOTE]

I looked at it for a little while and I think I understand how it works. Thumb goes on the lowest button, your three other fingers go on the few above it, and you reach your index or ring finger up to hit the last two, right? That's actually not too bad.

My first thought was that you'd put your three fingers on the top three buttons in a w shape- that's what my problem was. I'd imagine THAT would make it complicated. :p

EDIT: In case that wasn't a good enough explanation...

Index Finger........Ring Finger
..........Middle Finger.............
Reach Down........Reach Down
WTF Button

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']That is the fucking ugliest button layout I've ever seen in my entire life.[/QUOTE]

are you serious? that is the mk layout since mk1 in the 1990's with the run button added in the bottom since mk3.. i don't know any other way you would want it for an MK game.

button layout is:

HP HK
BLK
LP LK
RN

EDIT: kitsunisan beat me to explaining button layout.. but forgot the run button.

Okay, okay, I get it everyone. I'm never going to hear the end of this, am I? :p

Unlike a lot of you all, I didn't grow up with a heavy arcade influence. Sure, there was an arcade in my hometown my parents used to take me to on occasion until it closed when I was like... 8. And even when I was there, I wanted to play games I could only play at the arcade, like Lightgun games. It's not that I've never played MK before- I've just never played MK at an arcade because I owned it on my console(s).

[quote name='frpilot']
EDIT: kitsunisan beat me to explaining button layout.. but forgot the run button.[/QUOTE]

Eh, who needs run? ^_^ Old school!

[quote name='Cysquatch']Anyone else Kollector's addition comes with a "Retro-Ninja costume"[/QUOTE]

Amazon, Gamestop, and Best Buy are all going to have there own individual DLC.

Gamestop= Scorpion
Best buy = Sub Zero
Amazon = Reptile

[quote name='skiizim']Amazon, Gamestop, and Best Buy are all going to have there own individual DLC.

Gamestop= Scorpion
Best buy = Sub Zero
Amazon = Reptile[/QUOTE]

oh, I thought it meant an actual ninja costume lol. sorry its getting late here...

I read the description for the ce and it didnt say ingame or anything.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']I looked at it for a little while and I think I understand how it works. Thumb goes on the lowest button, your three other fingers go on the few above it, and you reach your index or ring finger up to hit the last two, right? That's actually not too bad.[/QUOTE]

You obviously never played Mortal Kombat in the arcade - this is always how their layout has been. They added the bottom button on MK3 for Run.

I really don't like that if I shell out $150 for the tournament edition, I don't get the bookends or the art book that come with the kollector's edition.

[quote name='00-shoe']I really don't like that if I shell out $150 for the tournament edition, I don't get the bookends or the art book that come with the kollector's edition.[/QUOTE]

They're not bookends, that was a joke that you could use them for your games to hold them at the ends. They're collector figures. Which I'm sure are pretty damn cool - I have a bunch of the older figures that came out mid 90's and during Trilogy and Shaolin Monks.

The art book would be cool to have with the Tournament Edition, but you're getting a high end Arcade Fight Stick with the TE and if you grew up playing in arcades, you'd want that over the other.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']

EDIT: In case that wasn't a good enough explanation...

Index Finger........Ring Finger
..........Middle Finger.............
Reach Down........Reach Down
WTF Button[/QUOTE]

that's about right.. at least how i remember playing it. and thumb for run..

you will use your middle finger a lot ;) to block and input (pre-buffer) motions while blocking to execute specials or fatalities.

[quote name='kitsunisan']Eh, who needs run? ^_^ Old school![/QUOTE]

yea, but i LOVED the run feature implemented in mk3. that and the auto combos. made things so much fast and aggressive compared to mk1 and mk2...

mk2 was a huge step forward from mk1..
(much like terminator 2 was such a blockbuster compared to terminator, but the original terminator was really good itself)

mk3 added so much more to mk2.. better graphics, auto combos, run button, uppercut up into a new stage, keeping all the things from mk 2 like babalities and friendship.. even aggressive meter and katana in umk3!
(unlike terminator 3 from terminator 2, but i'm still one of the few enjoyed terminator 3)

mk4 and all the 3d mk after seemed to hit the fan and sucked from reviews i read. i saw it at the arcades but never bothered to play because i hated 3d fighters such as tekken, soul caliber, and doa..
(pretty much like how terminator 4 and Christian Bale ruined the terminator franchise)

played a little bit of mk da and the one after on xbox.. never played armegeddon but that must be insane with the 60+ characters..

this mk looks promising.. probably will be like mk3 since that was imo, the peak of the mk series

Mortal Kombat inspired costumes to decorate your avatar on PSN.

Uh..? Are they talking about home avatars? Otherwise this sounds like a copy/paste fail since PSN otherwise does not have avatars. Or are they possibly referring to your PSN icon(pretty sure they call them avatars)? This is pretty confusing.

I like the bookends figures but no way for $100, might just hold off and see if the price drops after release like most collectors editions do.

I want to get the Tournament Edition but I'm afraid the price will drop dramatically. Well, at least I have a few months to think about it.

Sweet Zombie Jesus. Those are fucking awesome! Wish the Tournament edition included the figures as well though.

Probably in the minority here when it comes to the three ninjas, but I'm a Reptile mark so Amazon for me. Can't wait for this game.

[quote name='00-shoe']I really don't like that if I shell out $150 for the tournament edition, I don't get the bookends or the art book that come with the kollector's edition.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I hate that these sets have mutually exclusive items and they aren't following the special-edition-in-another-special-edition system like COD or Halo. There's no way I can spend $250 on a single game and end up with two copies.

[quote name='xDisciplex']They're not bookends, that was a joke that you could use them for your games to hold them at the ends. They're collector figures. Which I'm sure are pretty damn cool - I have a bunch of the older figures that came out mid 90's and during Trilogy and Shaolin Monks.

The art book would be cool to have with the Tournament Edition, but you're getting a high end Arcade Fight Stick with the TE and if you grew up playing in arcades, you'd want that over the other.[/QUOTE]

They actually are bookends or "gameends". Scorpion on one side. Sub Zero on the other. Pretty cool IMO.

[quote name='Wint3rSoldier']cant wait for it to be an $70 fightstick bundle in august[/QUOTE]

That will never happen. First the Tournament Edition with the Fight Stick is limited to only 20,000 in the US. Which as far as I know is less than what SF had on theirs. They never had a $70 bundle for a tournament edition stick with SF - that was for the lower end SF stick.

The TE will more than likely sell out pretty quick close to release or shortly after it's out.

I might end up getting the tournament edtion for the 360, and the kollector's edition for the ps3. As i could always put in a Cthulhu board in the 360 joystick, so i can use the joystick with the ps3 as well.

Also MK3/UMK3 is my favorite of alll MKs, then MK2, then MK1. Once MK went 3D i could never get into it.

[quote name='TheNeck']Also MK3/UMK3 is my favorite of alll MKs, then MK2, then MK1. Once MK went 3D i could never get into it.[/QUOTE]

I started really playing this game when mk3 came out in the Arcade. I use to carry around a cheat sheet with Fatalities and Combos and sold them.

I used to be pretty damn good and knew how to play with several characters. The series did get a little stale after UMK3 but I did enjoy playing MK4, it wasn't the greatest but something fresh for the series.

[quote name='xDisciplex']That will never happen. First the Tournament Edition with the Fight Stick is limited to only 20,000 in the US. Which as far as I know is less than what SF had on theirs. They never had a $70 bundle for a tournament edition stick with SF - that was for the lower end SF stick.

The TE will more than likely sell out pretty quick close to release or shortly after it's out.[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt the sales of the SF TE stick was 20K units. In fact, I'm guessing that between all the various versions and runs of the sticks they'd be lucky if they had built and sold 20K over the last two years. That's a ton for something that costs $150 and will only appeal to hardcore gamers who need a MK specific button layout. I'm sorry, but I feel like we have this debate with every limited edition and with the exception of a tiny percentage, they never sell out and always have a price drop. This one will too.

This is out of control when it comes to getting a game. Which fatality do you want extra? I wonder on the quality of the fightstick? I can see people selling the DLC on ebay for crazy $ since most gamers will want the other 2 fatalities for there game. This is just the craziest pre-order situation I have seen in a long time.

Did Reptile even have a Fatality in the original MK? I remember him being a secret character you fought against but never a fatality.

In the second one he ate your head and the second one he split you in half when he was invisible.

Holy crap! HAPP parts?!?!?! Really? HAPP?!?!?!?!

For those that don't know, American arcade cabinets are typically made with HAPP parts. You can quickly identify a HAPP joystick because it is shaped like a bat. HAPP is the gold standard for American parts. For Japanese parts, Sanwa is the gold standard. A Sanwa joystick is the joystick that has the gumball at the top.

This stick has the potential to rival the Madcatz TE sticks in terms of build quality and having arcade perfect parts in it.

I really truely hope as a die hard fan of MK they bring back Mortal Monday I remember the day when we were eager to get home from school to head out to the store and pick up that bad boy ahhh the memories

[quote name='skiizim']Did Reptile even have a Fatality in the original MK? I remember him being a secret character you fought against but never a fatality.

In the second one he ate your head and the second one he split you in half when he was invisible.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he did the same spine rip as Sub-Zero.

I'm not sure about the stick. it has Happ parts and is huge. I'll stick with my modded TE SFIV stick. But I think i'll pick up the Kollectors Edition. Thanks for the heads up OP

Seeing that button layout give me hope. Hopefully there's no more of that switching styles garbage. BAH! I want it but know I'm only going to use it for a few months then it will end up collecting dust.

lol at tournament edition, I doubt that these will be SANWA parts.

I have a feeling that the first batches will fail remember when the TE and SE sticks first came out when SF 4 was released? They came defective right out of the box!

bread's done
Back