- - - - -

Best Buy Return Policy changes again, photo ID required for returns and exchanges

#1 thunder_gamer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1116 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

thunder_gamer

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

Seems that Best Buy has changed their return policy once again and now they require photo ID for returns and exchanges. It is most likely used to combat return fraud, but might drive away more privacy concerned customers.

http://www.bestbuy.c...cat204400050028

http://www.examiner....-financial-woes

#2 lmz00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2522 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

I thought it was odd when they asked me for my ID last week. Now I know why.

#3 SlammedNiss   Mine hits the ground! CAGiversary!   1140 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

SlammedNiss

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

Seems like I good idea to me. Keeps costs down due to return fraud.

#4 Ziv   Jerk Extreme CAGiversary!   1681 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

If you aren't doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about. And there's already a thread for this.

#5 LottaGames   Banned Banned   285 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

LottaGames

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:07 AM

It's a useless store anyway. A lack of sales on games means I've stayed away for a while. Their recent sale caught me off guard so I was able to waste a gift card I had, but even that was a small battle as they almost didn't let me get the DJH2 bundle (it doesn't count as a game?).

Movies are useless. Music and PC components are cheaper online. It boggles the mind this place stays in business they way they operate. Nevermind the goons on the floor trying to help.

#6 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:39 AM

It must be a fairly new policy then, since two weeks ago I wasn't required to provide an ID when I returned a Bioshock 2 LE from the B2G1 sale. But when I tried returning Red Dead Redemption from the same sale last week(since I just got a copy from Gamestop's one sale and didn't need it) I was told I needed to show ID.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#7 Spanky   2 Legit CAGiversary!   880 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

You can thank the folks that commit return fraud for this new policy being enforced. Like Ziv said if your not doing anything wrong then why fret about it?
Posted Image

#8 Altanis   Banned Banned   1738 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Altanis

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:02 AM

No way! Best Buy can't!

(By the way, here's the other thread: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=286240)

My only problem with Best Buy is that they have no competition anymore in most places, so they don't have to do anything to get the mass majority of people in their stores.

The sad fact is that I know more on a bad day about most of their products than the idiots that work at the closest Best Buy do. Last time I was shopping for laptops (I was in the same plaza as the Best Buy and was bored), the idiots working kept hocking their financing plans and all that. Funny thing was that the laptop I was looking at wouldn't have qualified anyway. The guy nearly looked crushed when I told him I wasn't buying anything that day.

*** I am in no way affiliated with Sears Holding Corporation or Kmart. I just apparently play a Kmart CSR in the KmartGamer CAG thread. ***

If you have a problem with me, PM me so I can ignore it.

#9 kingtut313   What Up Doe CAGiversary!   239 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

kingtut313

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

#10 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5263 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

I figured Best Buy already tracked returns through the rewards program and credit card transactions there. I guess you could avoid the rewards program and pay in cash. Oh well, like everyone else has said nothing to worry about if you're not doing anything questionable.

#11 davo1224   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3040 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

I never return anything there but if every need to, yay for one more thing that one of their workers will have trouble doing.

#12 Katsumi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1386 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

Its sad that policies like this are needed to keep bonehead's from taking advantage of the system. And for the honest customers, it just creates more of a hassle..

5wugTSx.png

#13 sweetg1223   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   178 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

sweetg1223

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

Honestly, it's not that crazy, and not that much of a hassle. I used to work at Finish Line, and we'd always require IDs. But all we'd do is scan the barcode on the back, get a phone number, and that's it. An extra 30 seconds maybe?
I just don't see how anybody can complain about this. I don't blame them for protecting themselves, it's stupid people that ruin it (as people have said).

sgonzalez5.png

#14 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49823 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

I can't see how anyone would make an issue with this, unless they're trying to pull something funny.

Non-issue for 99.999% of the customers out there.

#15 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

why is everyone complaining its not that big of an issue.

#16 CaoPi   KOEI fan CAGiversary!   10499 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

other than that if it's a media type product cd/dvd based, they can just open it up in front of your face to make sure it's not a return fraud. No suprise here...

MY TRADE LIST: Huge fan of NIS and Koei games!

https://www.cheapass...misc/?p=1259801

#17 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20281 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

Walmart already has this policy, and doesn't drive away people yet for that reason.

Although they have many more other reasons that drive people away, such as, the place is a shithole.

#18 irideabike   no show CAGiversary!   6039 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

irideabike

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

The store has been going downhill for awhile now, guess this is just one more reason to avoid it.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#19 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4147 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

Unless you're committing return fraud or returning copious amounts of items, why does this even matter?

My YouTube Channel (Collection updates, games industry commentary, game analysis)

https://www.youtube....HellDestroyer77

My Blog (In-Depth Game/Anime Reviews)http://helldestroyer77.blogspot.com/

My Twitter:https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Complete DVD/Blu Collectionhttp://www.blu-ray.c...id.php?u=102540

#20 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   12828 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

I take more issue with that Ozzy vs Bieber super bowl commercial TBH. Either way, just shop Amazon since they match all the weekly prices. Far less hassle and there's never going to be a reason to shop at BB again since they ended free game coupon mix-ups.
Posted Image

#21 EdgeCrusher36   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   948 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

EdgeCrusher36

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

Keep raging against that machine people who hate BB. I do get a kick out of people trying to find something to hate more about any retailer. Doesn't affect me as this should be a retail wide policy anyway for any store to get rid of people being douches.

#22 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17249 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:53 AM

I can see how this policy is ok if you don't have a receipt ...but if you used a CC for the purchase, that should be enough for them to track down the ticket. They are probably trying to keep more tabs on people who return stuff vs buy stuff from BB. I know Microcenter keeps track of this shit and has a Sold Items / Return Items amount on people's account... That's just plan fucking annoying.