(VIDEOS ADDED) Metal Slug Advance freezing on the Nintendo DS [Bug isolated]

evilmax17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This has been confirmed to have happened at least once by 2 people on 3 different DS's so far.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=882786#882786

My game froze while playing Metal Slug advance. This happened on Level 1 after the first "GO->" screen, when you get to the mountain and have to jump up it. At around the same place evertime my DS froze, and I was able to reproduce this 3 times in succession. I tried this on my GBA and it was fine.

Since this is at such an early part of the game, and takes about 70 seconds to reproduce, would you mind helping me out? Try playing this, and see if you beat the first level (or hell, get past the second "screen" when you're jumping up the mountain). If this crashes on your DS as well as mine, then we have an interesting situation...

EDIT: Bug completely isolated. Check below for the post about "shimmying"

--Videos of Freeze--
You need the latest version of DivX to view these videos

Full test on 2 DS's, with different characters, on 2 different screens, one freezing with the B button the other with the R button. Then a test on a GBA in which it works fine (the shimmy will NOT occur)

A clip from the original video showing the Freeze on the bottom screen, using the guy, pressing B. You can clearly see it freeze exactly when I press B.

A clip from the original video showing the Freeze on the top screen, using the girl, pressing R. This clip better illustrates what the "Shimmy" looks like.

Apologies for the crappyness of the GBA shots, but that bastard is just so hard to light properly. Once again, the "shimmy" is achieved by depressing the entire Dpad in (pressing the center), which is fairly easy to do on both of the DS's you see. Can anybody else duplicate it?

So I just managed to beat the first level by powering through that section as quickly as possible, but I've been able to isolate the freeze.

On that mountain part, on the left side of the screen (not too far up), you'll find ledges that look like this:

*Ignore the red part, that was the only way I could get the spacing right*

The X is where you can stand, and you can walk up that slanted part. This is on the left part of the screen. Try walking around where the X is and firing in circles. I can pretty much get it to do it there at every time.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']is your Metal Slug cart from china? i doubt you did get it from there, but who knows...[/quote]

Haha no, official US "Nintendo stamped on the card" release.

[quote name='evilmax17']So I just managed to beat the first level by powering through that section as quickly as possible, but I've been able to isolate the freeze.

On that mountain part, on the left side of the screen (not too far up), you'll find ledges that look like this:

The X is where you can stand, and you can walk up that slanted part. This is on the left part of the screen. Try walking around where the X is and firing in circles. I can pretty much get it to do it there at every time.[/quote]

I'm going to try this, I will post back in a few.

Upon further inspection, I can get it to freeze whenever I want. Quickly rotate the dpad clockwise while rapidly firing. Tell me if that works.

EDIT: I did this in the first 2 seconds of the first level, right when you start. Hrm.

EDIT 2: Rotate clockwise a few times, counter clockwise a few times, repeat all quickly.

EDIT 3: And leaving it frozen makes the sound slowly static forward, very slowly. Ugh.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Still no dice from me, man. This seems to be an isolated problem.[/quote]

Hrm, thanks for trying though.

Other testers are still wanted.

Just tried it on my GBA again, and it's absolutely fine. I spent 2 minutes circling and firing.

Then I tried it on my GF's DS, and it took all of 2 seconds. So same cart, 2 different DS's, 2 freezes.

Just go all crazy on the Dpad while firing rapidly.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Still no dice from me, man. This seems to be an isolated problem.[/quote]

Hrm, thanks for trying though.

Other testers are still wanted.[/quote]

No problem. I certainly hope its the cart and not your DS.

OK

I've been able to FURTHER isolate this bug.

Press the Nintendo DS dpad in in the middle. Basically, press the whole thing in, in the center. You're character should be doing a shimmy (either standing, or crouching, doesn't matter).

As you're holding the entire dpad in (and your character is shimmying), press B to fire. It should (at least on mine and my GF's) freeze at that instant.

[quote name='evilmax17']OK

Press the Nintendo DS dpad in in the middle. Basically, press the whole thing in, in the center. You're character should be doing a shimmy (either standing, or crouching, doesn't matter).

As you're holding the entire dpad in (and your character is shimmying), press B to fire. It should (at least on mine and my GF's) freeze at that instant.[/quote]

I'll give it one more try.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum'][quote name='evilmax17']OK

As you're holding the entire dpad in (and your character is shimmying), press B to fire. It should (at least on mine and my GF's) freeze at that instant.[/quote]

I'll give it one more try.[/quote]

*tips hat* Much appreciated. Also, do you have a launch DS?

I just tried and it took a little bit, but I got mine to freeze too

EDIT: I just spent another minute or 2 trying to get it to freeze again and I couldn't.

[quote name='jimbodan']I just tried and it took a little bit, but I got mine to freeze too[/quote]

Don't take this the wrong way, but woohoo!

Thank you very much for trying.

For me it took quite a bit of d-pad pressing and shooting to get it to freeze the first time and when I restarted and tried again I couldn't get it to do it. After about a minute my thumb started hurting so I gave up.

[quote name='jimbodan']For me it took quite a bit of d-pad pressing and shooting to get it to freeze the first time and when I restarted and tried again I couldn't get it to do it. After about a minute my thumb started hurting so I gave up.[/quote]

When you press the whole dpad in, does your character "shimmy"?

Mine will constantly shimmy there. I can shimmy-jump fine, and I can fire in the air while shimmy-jumping just fine. But when I'm shimmying and press B to fire, it freezes every time.

I tried playing Castlevania COTM and Metroid Fusion to try and reproduce this in a similar fashion, but they both work fine. MSA is the only game that freezes on me so far...

EDIT:

Just for the sake of completeness:

I'm playing Metal Slug Advance on the top screen using Walter. This also worked with the girl, and also on the bottom screen. I've tried this using two launch DSes with the "grid" touch screen.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='jimbodan']For me it took quite a bit of d-pad pressing and shooting to get it to freeze the first time and when I restarted and tried again I couldn't get it to do it. After about a minute my thumb started hurting so I gave up.[/quote]

Mine will constantly shimmy there. I can shimmy-jump fine, and I can fire in the air while shimmy-jumping just fine. But when I'm shimmying and press B to fire, it freezes every time.

I tried playing Castlevania COTM and Metroid Fusion to try and reproduce this in a similar fashion, but they both work fine. MSA is the only game that freezes on me so far...[/quote]

I don't know exactly what you mean by shimmying? I know the character I was using was the girl and I tried it right in the first screen. I killed the first enemy and then pushed the center of the dpad down and started rotating and hitting b after like 10-20 seconds it froze. I was on the ground pointing up when it frooze.

The second time I tried I did the same thing except I tried manipulating the d-pad for about 1 minute and it wouldn't freeze.

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='jimbodan']For me it took quite a bit of d-pad pressing and shooting to get it to freeze the first time and when I restarted and tried again I couldn't get it to do it. After about a minute my thumb started hurting so I gave up.[/quote]

I tried playing Castlevania COTM and Metroid Fusion to try and reproduce this in a similar fashion, but they both work fine. MSA is the only game that freezes on me so far...[/quote]

I don't know exactly what you mean by shimmying? I know the character I was using was the girl and I tried it right in the first screen. I killed the first enemy and then pushed the center of the dpad down and started rotating and hitting b after like 10-20 seconds it froze. I was on the ground pointing up when it frooze.

The second time I tried I did the same thing except I tried manipulating the d-pad for about 1 minute and it wouldn't freeze.[/quote]

You have to push the entire dpad down in the center, effectively depressing the entire Dpad with your thumb. What I mean by "shimmy" is that your character will face left for a nanosecond, then right, then repeat. Basically turning left and right EXTREMELY quickly (happens while crouching too).

I just tried for 5 mintues on my launch DS and I couldn't get it to freeze. I couldn't get a shimmy by pressing down the d-pad's center but I was going crazy on it every way I could think of.

I'm going to tape myself doing this tommorow just for the hell of it. People not being able to get the shimmy by pressing the center is interesting. It might be a combination of that and MSA's programming or something.

But yeah, tommorow at aroung 6PMish I'll throw a video of it up, and bump up this thread.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='jimbodan']For me it took quite a bit of d-pad pressing and shooting to get it to freeze the first time and when I restarted and tried again I couldn't get it to do it. After about a minute my thumb started hurting so I gave up.[/quote]

The second time I tried I did the same thing except I tried manipulating the d-pad for about 1 minute and it wouldn't freeze.[/quote]

You have to push the entire dpad down in the center, effectively depressing the entire Dpad with your thumb. What I mean by "shimmy" is that your character will face left for a nanosecond, then right, then repeat. Basically turning left and right EXTREMELY quickly (happens while crouching too).[/quote]

Ah! Gotcha

It's pretty hard for me to get it to shimmy but when I do and fire the game restarts.

My thumb actually hurts from pressing the damn d-pad so hard, so at least for me this isn't a verry common thing it takes a ton of pressure and some luck for me to get it to shimmy

[quote name='evilmax17']I'm going to tape myself doing this tommorow just for the hell of it. People not being able to get the shimmy by pressing the center is interesting. It might be a combination of that and MSA's programming or something.

But yeah, tommorow at aroung 6PMish I'll throw a video of it up, and bump up this thread.[/quote]

i want to see this video :D

and off topic, but this game is awesome...haven't beat the final boss yet...i'm always stuck there :(

Thanks again The Cheat. It's interesting to see the different physical properties of the DS, because for me it takes no effort to completely push the whole dpad in (which is probably why it happened to me so early and often).

Thanks one and all for checking.

Very odd. I don't have the game so I can't test it out. Can you get the character to shimmy and not freeze on the GBA?

[quote name='Parathod']Very odd. I don't have the game so I can't test it out. Can you get the character to shimmy and not freeze on the GBA?[/quote]

I can't get my guy to shimmy on the GBA. I just tried for like 5 minutes, and it won't shimmy at all. Even when I push the DPad straight in, he just stands there. It seems to be the way the DS recognizes certain Dpad inputs.

I popped it back into the DS to try something else out: I just tried shimmying and throwing a grenade, and that also freezed it.

Basically, you can shimmy for as long as you want. If you're shimmying, as SOON as you fire or throw a nade, it freezes.

This is a problem for me because if I'm constantly firing and moving around and firing in different directions, I'll eventually accidentally fire while holding down the entire Dpad. My dpad can be entirely depressed (causing the "shimmy") rather easily, but MSA seems to be the only game that it matters in.

*Proud to make "shimmy" the number 1 word used on CAG. Oh yeah*

EDIT: Changed some stuff.

I'll try this later but what is this about different DS screens?

Ok I tried it but my characters don't shimmy at all. In fact it's incredibly hard to push my d-pad in..

[quote name='doomgaze_86']I'll try this later but what is this about different DS screens?[/quote]

I was actually wondering about that too

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='doomgaze_86']I'll try this later but what is this about different DS screens?[/quote]

I was actually wondering about that too[/quote]

When I look at my DS at a certain angle under the light, I can see a grid of small dots on the touch screen. I assumed that's what he meant.

I heard reports of certain touch screen's looking very foggy (the ones picked up at Costco at launch).

[quote name='swetooth9'][quote name='evilmax17']I'm going to tape myself doing this tommorow just for the hell of it. People not being able to get the shimmy by pressing the center is interesting. It might be a combination of that and MSA's programming or something.

But yeah, tommorow at aroung 6PMish I'll throw a video of it up, and bump up this thread.[/quote]

i want to see this video :D

and off topic, but this game is awesome...haven't beat the final boss yet...i'm always stuck there :([/quote]

I second that it's a great game. A little too short but a ton of fun. I was stuck on the final boss for awhile as well. That SOB was hard!

bread's done
Back