The Browser Thread: Chrome/IE/Firefox/Opera/Safari/et cetera

guinaevere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
114 (100%)
For all the threads we've had over time where we've wound up discussing the pros and cons of all the available pc browsers out there, we've never had one master thread. So here it is, discuss what you use and why you like it or dislike it.

To get it started, I was just asked in another thread if Chrome is better than Firefox. Everyone has different wants and needs from their browsers, so this answer will always be subjective. There are definitely aspects I miss from Mozilla, but I feel Chrome is a less vulnerable browser, and it's faster to load. It's also less of a resource hog, though no browser to my knowledge does not eat resources.

Quick answer, I use Chrome with Opera as a back up.

I used to use Opera as main, and Firefox as backup. Opera seem to perform better over time (a week of use without closing), has native mouse gestures, native POP3 and RSS. Since I made my laptop my primary computer, it swapped around to Firefox, with Opera as backup. NoScript on Firefox is probably the best thing about Firefox to me.

[quote name='elessar123']NoScript on Firefox is probably the best thing about Firefox to me.[/QUOTE]

That and Ad-Block Plus.

[quote name='guinaevere']I don't remember what NoScript is, but Chrome has AdBlock and AdSweep.[/QUOTE]

Prevents unwanted scripts from running.

Firefox still seems to have issues with memory hogging, but I'm wondering if its just an add-ons issue at this point.

I main Firefox. Firefox has the best moves and super combos. Chrome is for noobs. Why you so Mortons, Chromefriends? Jocktopus forever!

I got tired of the freezing and memory issues with Firefox and gave Chrome a try. It's faster to load, but just as bad of a memory hog and maybe even worse in that it creates a separate process for every extension and tab that's open. So I have about 20 processes for Chrome running right. CAG runs poorly with Chrome as you cannot hide spoiler tags once you show them and image thumbnails bug out easily. The extensions that are available for Chrome are terrible versions of the extensions in Firefox and you may not even get a replacement for all of the ones you regularly used in Firefox. I'm definitely going back to Firefox and I'll waiting a few years to see if Chrome is improved at all.

[quote name='Strell']Firefox still seems to have issues with memory hogging, but I'm wondering if its just an add-ons issue at this point.
[/QUOTE]Did a little looking, and this seems to be part of the issue.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']stuff[/QUOTE]
I hate when someone intelligent gives a valid argument to your belief.

But in my case, i only have a few processes ever running. And I like to leave the browser up and running even when I leave the house. When I got back to the computer, FF would be running at around 220,000+ K and mostly dead to any attempt of accessing it.

And from the little I've read, Chrome is a less vulnerable browser than FF.

I use firefox mostly, I don't really like the chrome interface. Actually i don't really like the default UI for any browser these days, I always change firefox to use icons with text like the old IE/Netscape. I don't worry about memory usage, 6 gigs of ram is more than enough for me to not give a damn.

I switched to Chrome a while back and haven't switched back. I love the speed and the minimal look. i also love when something crashes, ok i dont love it, but i love that just the tab or the plug in will crash and it wont kill everything im doing.

I use Firefox with Opera as a backup. I always say I use firefox for the plug-ins, and then I become too lazy to ever download any.

[quote name='guinaevere']I hate when someone intelligent gives a valid argument to your belief.

But in my case, i only have a few processes ever running. And I like to leave the browser up and running even when I leave the house. When I got back to the computer, FF would be running at around 220,000+ K and mostly dead to any attempt of accessing it.

And from the little I've read, Chrome is a less vulnerable browser than FF.[/QUOTE]
By my count, it was about 560,000 K for Chrome to 260,000 K for Firefox with a similar amount of tabs and extensions, so Chrome is twice as bad at memory hogging than Firefox despite very rarely freezing, crashing, and noticeably loading faster than Firefox.

Firefox, with IE and Chrome as backups. I keep Safari and Opera on my systems as well, and keep seeing how they compare to the other main browsers I use. Some sites don't work well with FF or Chrome, so I use IE for those sites.

I hope that a lot of the memory use issues in FF3 get fixed in FF4, which should be out next month.

I use Chrome right now with IE as a backup. I prefer the style of IE but Chrome is much faster so I've been using that more recently.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']By my count, it was about 560,000 K for Chrome to 260,000 K for Firefox with a similar amount of tabs and extensions,[/QUOTE]Holy smokes!!

I guess if I knew how to increase the memory in my laptop, none of these issues would be a problem... this thing is so old, I don't even know what type of memory it has. :whistle2:#

Firefox because of NoScript/Adblock as my main. Just prefer the UI of Firefox to Chrome, and hate how extensions work/don't work in Chrome. No stumbleupon toolbar sucks too. I run Chrome as my back up only because of it's native support for translating foreign pages and the quick dictionary look up it has. Otherwise, I could get by with Firefox and IE.

Firefox has been REALLY jittery for me lately, and I can't seem to figure it out. And I REALLY want to switch to Google Chrom full-time, but they don't have any good extensions for it. I really wish they had a good download manager for it. If only DownThemAll was ported. :(

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']By my count, it was about 560,000 K for Chrome to 260,000 K for Firefox with a similar amount of tabs and extensions, so Chrome is twice as bad at memory hogging than Firefox despite very rarely freezing, crashing, and noticeably loading faster than Firefox.[/QUOTE]

Last I checked mine, FF was at around 200K plus whatever the amount was of the extension process. The extension process was at about 125K until I closed the tab I had youtube open in then it went down to about 33K.

I rarely notice any slowdown at all, being that I have 4 Gigs of memory. But I do remember in my older computer with 2 Gigs, which I just replaced, it would sometimes become really sluggish to the point where I would have to close FF then re-open a new browser.

[quote name='guinaevere']Holy smokes!!

I guess if I knew how to increase the memory in my laptop, none of these issues would be a problem... this thing is so old, I don't even know what type of memory it has. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

It's pretty simple, if you check This memory finder , you should be able to find memory compatible with your laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had IE6 for the longest time. After a while, it just became so outdated, that a bunch of websites kept giving me the "This site can't run properly on this outdated POS browser" so I upgraded to 8. Didn't like it and promptly downgraded. Tried Firefox and it didn't click with me either. Eventually, my friend started talking about Opera so I gave it a shot and loved it.

Firefox with IE Tab covers all the websites I visit regularly. I tried using Chrome and while I like how much faster it seems to load, I hate how extensions work in comparison to Firefox.

I am however, using Chrome as my main browser on my old laptop as it takes forever to load Firefox, while Chrome loads seemingly instantaneously.

bread's done
Back