Am I being taken for a ride on Amazon?

Organization_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I've bought off Amazon.com quite a few times and have never had a problem, but I think someone is trying to pull a fast one on me. I ordered an HDMI cable for dirt-cheap on 2/12 and the estimated time of delivery was today. Normally, I would have just brushed this off to maybe being a slowdown with USPS, but red flags were thrown up when I got the initial tracking number on 2/15 (which never once updated), and a completely separate tracking number on 2/22. I emailed the company and they said that there was a screw-up with the first tracking number and they supplied me with the correct one, but it still hasn't updated (you think it would have if they shipped a week ago). Then I check the seller's feedback, and a ton of other people had the same exact thing happen to them at the same exact time as my issue. How would I go about getting a refund? Would I have to wait 6-8 weeks to see if it does arrive later, or should I take this as a bad sign and just cancel my order now for my money back? Also, here is the seller:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/selle...sin=&marketplaceSeller=&seller=A2220UWPX1VUDX

[quote name='Organization_XIII']I've bought off Amazon.com quite a few times and have never had a problem, but I think someone is trying to pull a fast one on me. I ordered an HDMI cable for dirt-cheap on 2/12 and the estimated time of delivery was today. Normally, I would have just brushed this off to maybe being a slowdown with USPS, but red flags were thrown up when I got the initial tracking number on 2/15 (which never once updated), and a completely separate tracking number on 2/22. I emailed the company and they said that there was a screw-up with the first tracking number and they supplied me with the correct one, but it still hasn't updated (you think it would have if they shipped a week ago). Then I check the seller's feedback, and a ton of other people had the same exact thing happen to them at the same exact time as my issue. How would I go about getting a refund? Would I have to wait 6-8 weeks to see if it does arrive later, or should I take this as a bad sign and just cancel my order now for my money back? Also, here is the seller:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/selle...sin=&marketplaceSeller=&seller=A2220UWPX1VUDX[/QUOTE]

Going back on their feedback it doesnt seem like they had any problems until recently. I doubt they worked on building up tons of feedback over hundreds and hundreds of transactions to just now start screwing people on HDMI cables. it really might just be a big warehouse glitch on their end. seems like people have gotten refunds recently with no problem, so if you dont want to wait it out then it looks like you could get one.

I've never done a refund on Amazon before (never needed to) and don't know how to go about it. Do I have to wait until the cable arrives and ship it back to them on my dime, or can I get a refund now?

I would just email the seller. They have the power to just cancel the order and issue a refund immediately (I believe). Based on the feedback I read it looks like people who are requesting cancellations and refunds are getting them within a day. I think it would take longer to go through Amazons normal cancellation/return policy.

I'm not positive though, I've only returned one item and that was through Amazon, not a seller. I bought a laptop bag once through a seller, they emailed me the next business day and said it was out of stock. I asked if they would cancel and refund and they did very promptly.

If your order still hasn't arrived past the estimate delivery date, you can open a claim with Amazon stating your item never arrived from seller. The seller would have to provide proof that the item was delivered to the customers shipping address. If not, you (the seller) gets instantly refunded.

But to the defense of the seller: Its pretty hard to scam a lot of customers on amazon - there quick to jump on suspicious seller activity in there marketplace. And if they where, would be pretty weird to do so out of a $10 transaction, since i doubt you paid that much for that HDMI cable.

Since you said you bought it on the 12th, they've only had 6 business days getting your order to you - not counting yesterday since it was a holiday.
I would give it no later than the end of this week. Contact them one last time, they should either refund you or ship a replacement, being a low cost item (assuming). If nothing gets done, open a claim directly with Amazon, you should have no problem getting your money back.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E

Title was asking for it. :0

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered on 2/12, should have shipped between 2/13 and 2/15, should have arrived 2/17 - 2/23 (in case you wanted details). I'm going to give it until the end of the week, but I'm not sure that's going to matter - I keep getting this message on the tracking number:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on February 22, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

and before, I was getting the same thing but February 15 instead of the 22nd. I just have a feeling I'm not going to get what I paid for. Gut feeling

[quote name='lokizz']if you want cheap hdmi cables go to monoprice.com.[/QUOTE]

I just checked it out, and those prices are pretty legit. How reliable is the site?

[quote name='Organization_XIII']I just checked it out, and those prices are pretty legit. How reliable is the site?[/QUOTE]

very. they had an issue a while back and i was scared to try them out but since then ive shopped there 3 or 4 times for various odds and ends. theyve got alot of stuff there way cheaper than youll find it anywhere else.

Let me guess; this was a "deal" posted on some popular website? Looks to me like a legit company that just got hammered with orders and couldn't meet the demand.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Let me guess; this was a "deal" posted on some popular website? Looks to me like a legit company that just got hammered with orders and couldn't meet the demand.[/QUOTE]

Actually, no. I just need an HDMI cable because I bought a new tv, and this was the cheapest I could find.

On another note, I bought another HDMI cable off Newegg for $3.99 + Free Shipping, so if this one ever shows up, I'll be returning it unless someone here or on craigslist wants it.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']Actually, no. I just need an HDMI cable because I bought a new tv, and this was the cheapest I could find.

On another note, I bought another HDMI cable off Newegg for $3.99 + Free Shipping, so if this one ever shows up, I'll be returning it unless someone here or on craigslist wants it.[/QUOTE]

If you bought from Newegg, I'd ask them to cancel before they ship. Check their return policy, most likely you will have to pay for return shipping. If that's the case, you'll be spending nearly as much to return it as the cost of the item itself.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']I just checked it out, and those prices are pretty legit. How reliable is the site?[/QUOTE]

Seriously, it looks like a scam because shit is so dirt cheap there, but it's 100% legit. Those cables are also of a build quality that puts the regular storebought shit to shame. I will never buy cables from anywhere else. They ship scary fast for me too.

bread's done
Back