Recommend some good turn-based Japanese RPGs

W

wattage

Hello. I'm new to the CAG community and a new Xbox360 owner. I'm looking for games along the lines of Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Final Fantasy X from the Playstation world.

What are some good turn-based Japanese RPGs for the Xbox360?

Thanks!

Vandal Hearts on XBLA. There is also Spectral Force 3 and Record of Agarest War but neither are that great

Resonance of Fate isnt a strategy rpg.

[quote name='62t']Vandal Hearts on XBLA. There is also Spectral Force 3 and Record of Agarest War but neither are that great

Resonance of Fate isnt a strategy rpg.[/QUOTE]

What would you call it then?It's not a turn based rpg,and I wouldn't call it a real time rpg.It really is a mix of strategy and real time since you really have to plan your moves out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thelonepig']Lost Odyssey. It's straight up traditional turn-based RPG from the makers of Shadow Hearts.[/QUOTE]

This man speaks the truth. Playing through this right now and it's definitely bringing back fond memories of playing through my favorite jrpgs back in the day.

People already mentioned Lost Odyssey which is an excellent choice. It's surprisingly mature for a JRPG and isn't riddled with too many cliches often found in the genre. Probably one of the coolest main characters in any RPG. Combat can seem slow at times (loading especially) but it's has a good balance of difficulty.

Blue Dragon can be summed up as Dragon Quest for 360. It's much more lighthearted than LO. Combat is simple and quick. Graphics are colorful and sports nice soundtrack. Story and characters are it's weakest point. All the main characters are on the young side, not sure if that's your thing or not (I found it annoying) Even so I always thought this game deserves more love than it gets.

Another recommendation for Lost Odyssey. Awesome game.

I've heard enough good things about Resonance of Fate for me to buy it, but I haven't played it yet, so I can't recommend it proper.

Lost Odyssey I can vouch for again. It was one of my favorite games overall on Xbox 360. It really had a great cast, story, pacing, environment, and decent graphics too. The game does not really add anything too new to the formula but it still was a lot of fun.

Blue Dragon was a solid game too which I liked but sadly never finished. I was not a big fan of the story or the characters but I did like the game itself

I heard Eternal Sonata was great and diverged from the standard JRPG formula a bit but personally I never played it so I can't really recommend it truthfully. I would check that game out. Also Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant I heard were not that bad, but again, I'd read into it.

Lost Odyssey is the last truly great JRPG and has one of the absolute best turn-based battle systems around. Fantastic game.

I'd like to see where this thread goes, because I could go for a solid turn-based RPG.

Oh, here's an odd suggestion.....Costume Quest on XBLA. The battles are straight up old school turn-based. Funny game, too.

Lost Odyssey is a great one, but it seems like everyone has already suggested that. If you are already into the Final Fantasy series, I would try Final Fantasy XIII, it is pretty cheap now (30 bucks new at Gamestop) and isn't a bad choice at all. I would also suggest Tales of Vesperia, while I know it is not a turn-based RPG, it is still one of the best JRPGs you can find on the 360

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yeah...[/QUOTE]

I said it was an odd suggestion, but it's more old school JRPG than most crap JRPG's these days. It's a solid turn-based adventure/RPG.

Lost Odyssey (this is the great turn based RPG of the 360)
Eternal Sonata (turn based but flows like original Parasite Eve)
Enchanted Arms (mix of turn based and strat almost)
Blue Dragon (plays more like an early Dragon Quest, has a grind to it)
Spectral Force 3 (strategy RPG)
Record of Aragast War (strategy RPG)

Lost Odyssey
Breath of Death VII
Cthulu Saves the World
Bonded Realities
Costume Quest
Tales of Vesperia (not turn based, but solid JRPG)
Blue Dragon (story is kiddie and dumb, but core game is good)

I played a lot of the others and didn't really care for them.

[quote name='Hobbs1975']Tales of Vesperia is not turn based.[/QUOTE]

While that true, ToV is a great game, I piled up 90 hours on my first playthrough already. I love that game.

But it not Turned based.

Thanks everyone for the great responses! :applause: Sounds like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are the must-haves of the bunch. Didn't even think about Xbox Live Arcade -- probably lots of old-school JRPGs on there somewhere.

I was considering Spectral Force 3 since it was developed by Atlus -- of Disgaea fame. But not sure if it's turn-based or not. Need to read reviews. Ditto for Resonance of Fate.

Gonna look at the CAG marketplace for Lost Odyssey and/or Blue Dragon.

[quote name='Hobbs1975']Tales of Vesperia is not turn based.[/QUOTE]

Dooh sorry saw the JRPG part but not the turn based, my bad. Yeah go with Lost Odyssey then.

On the XBox Indie Store, you can get Breath of Death VII for $1 and Cthulu Saves the World for $3 in Microsoft points. They're great games made by the same guy that are similar to the NES Dragon Warrior/Quest games, but with improvements in the gameplay and contemporary humor.

Final Fantasy XIII isn't strictly turn-based, but it's a fair shake better than most people give it credit for. Plus, it has a lot of aesthetic similarities to FFX.

Still, and to echo everyone else, you won't do better than Lost Odyssey if you're looking for a traditional JRPG on 360.

Blue Dragon edges out LO in my book if only because of there being no random encounters. I love turn-based JRPGs, but I hate random encounters - go figure ;). But they are both excellent choices IMO.

Blue Dragon is also dirt cheap so it's hard to go wrong. I have a hard time playing it though because I find the characters annoying. I wish I was more tolerant.

I've jet to play an RPG batter than Lost Odyssey in some time even though a lot of people will rag on it.

Tales of Vesperia, while not a turn based game, is still fun and pretty solid. Good artwork, good voicing, most of the characters are memorable. Not to mention even the ones in your team will get item and level experience in battles.

FFXIII is good, just don't stop playing it. I got a little lost when I did.

Enchanted Arms is okay if you're desperate for a game. I put in a few hours here and there, but damn it gets boring.

And of course Magna Carta 2 is like Tales of Vesperia.

[quote name='Cloyd']
Enchanted Arms is okay if you're desperate for a game. I put in a few hours here and there, but damn it gets boring.[/QUOTE]

I got bored of the game after the first 5 minutes, thank god I bought it used and was able to return it to GameStop for a refund

bread's done
Back