Pre-order for Art of Alice: Madness Returns, an art book($19.44)

Vortextk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Alice-Mad...6971/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1301390774&sr=8-4

Very much different than a much more common japanese anime art book offering, but equally interesting if you're into this extremely twisted version of alice and wonderland. The book is going to be hardcover, 184 pages, with an opening written by Mcgee. Listed, off site, to be released on may 11th. You can see a small preview of pages here:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/320/art-alice-sells-out-first-printing

Retail is set at 34.99 with articles only days to a week old listing amazon at having it at $23~, so around 4 dollars off that price already. I only just learned about it because it was sitting in my gold box.

Damn, I wish I could have gotten one of the first prints. I passed on this months ago since I wasn't sure I wanted one.

[quote name='Vinny']Damn, I wish I could have gotten one of the first prints. I passed on this months ago since I wasn't sure I wanted one.[/QUOTE]

Do you think they'll be different? I mean, the link says it sold out the first printing, but it hasn't been released at all yet.

It's kind of hard to sellout an item that hasn't been released anywhere yet. Unless Darkhorse is exclusively selling the first edition through their website and giving Amazon second run prints, I doubt that article is anything more than hyperbole and a way of saying there has been more preorder demand for the book than they anticipated.

[quote name='Vortextk']Do you think they'll be different? I mean, the link says it sold out the first printing, but it hasn't been released at all yet.[/QUOTE]

I can't say for sure. When it came to comic books, each print usually had different covers and since this is being published by Dark Horse... who knows?:whistle2:k

[quote name='etcrane']It's kind of hard to sellout an item that hasn't been released anywhere yet. Unless Darkhorse is exclusively selling the first edition through their website and giving Amazon second run prints, I doubt that article is anything more than hyperbole and a way of saying there has been more preorder demand for the book than they anticipated.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured and if no one here ordered it earlier it might not be a popular thing to see and compare, but checking down the road seems like the only option if you care. I'm not too worried about it and just looking forward to the book(and GAME!) so much.

I just re-installed the first alice and had to find out how to run it at 1920x1080 lol, been like 7 years since I played this.

Damn I forgot it was even coming out so soon what with all of those other artbooks(valkyria, ar tonelico, etc) being pushed back constantly. Though it has gone up a tiny bit in price since I posted this. No e-mail for me but yeah it's showing on amazon as in stock on the 8th.

Pre-ordered the book a month ago. Huge fan of the original PC game (it's the only PC game I really ever played) and am looking forward to the sequel. I got the email that the book got pushed up as well.

For those interested in the game, did you guys here they are including a download code for the ORIGINAL Alice with new copies of Alice Madness Returns for XBLA or PSN? Freaking awesome.

360 or ps3 only I think? I'm going to be playing this on pc I suppose as it now out powers my consoles for any game that's on all 3.

[quote name='wugenius']For those interested in the game, did you guys here they are including a download code for the ORIGINAL Alice with new copies of Alice Madness Returns for XBLA or PSN? Freaking awesome.[/QUOTE]

are you 100% sure? that would be pretty awesome, definitely like to play the original again

[quote name='proKoyeon']are you 100% sure? that would be pretty awesome, definitely like to play the original again[/QUOTE]
yes, it's true

Is there even a thread for this game in the 360 or PS3 forums? I never played the original Alice, but Madness Returns looks great, I'm pretty pumped for it.

[quote name='Vortextk']360 or ps3 only I think? I'm going to be playing this on pc I suppose as it now out powers my consoles for any game that's on all 3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah 360 or PS3 only. They aren't re-releasing it on PC as far as I know, which is a shame since that's where the original game got it's start.

And yes everyone it is true! :)
http://www.americanmcgee.com/2011/04/20/wishes-do-come-true/

I am stoked since I always wanted to play the original alice on a console with a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse and my pathetic monitor/computer I had back then.

I'm hoping for it to get cheaper, but I definitely want it as the art direction is the only reason I got so excited for this game. Have had an issue of GamePro with the game on the cover framed on my wall for the past year.

Got my shipping notice from Amazon today. I ordered back in January, so if people want me to take pictures to compare 1st/2nd print, just let me know!

I hope they give out the original alice with the PC version. I think i will be picking it up on pc, maybe 360...not sure yet.

My delivery estimate is May 26th on the 2 art books I ordered

Mine just got shipped, weird that it won't be here till the 9th because I do have prime and 2day shipping. Does ups not delivery on saturdays? I forget. Can't believe the game is out so soon too, I'm really looking forward to it.

[quote name='Vortextk']Mine just got shipped, weird that it won't be here till the 9th because I do have prime and 2day shipping. Does ups not delivery on saturdays? I forget. Can't believe the game is out so soon too, I'm really looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

They deliver on Saturdays here in NYC. If the package shipped late today, I don't think it really counts as one of the days, especially if its just the electronic info received.

[quote name='Deathchamber']They deliver on Saturdays here in NYC. If the package shipped late today, I don't think it really counts as one of the days, especially if its just the electronic info received.[/QUOTE]

No it actually shipped out, middle of the day, and saturday would be the "2day shipping" if they delivered. It might be different for different states, I just forget if they do here.

is there gonna be a SE of the game itself, or any kinda artbook for preordering it? I remember playing the original a bit at a friends house back in the day and thinking it was kinda neat. Ive been keeping an eye out on this sequal. An artbook might be cool for it, but not if theres something similar with a SE or pre-order

*edit* do you still get the same thing if you preorder it? i notice it ships ina few days, and i saw some people mentioning the first print is sold out... will you still get the original hardcover book or are new orders getting a lesser version?

still havent decided if i should get one. Anyone think itll drop < 20 bucks anytime soon? I want to make sure i get the nice original hardcover one

No one knows what the "first print" bit is about, it literally just came out and has never been sold before. It's either BS, or some kind of limited print to the first pre-orders a long time ago.

[quote name='Vortextk']No one knows what the "first print" bit is about, it literally just came out and has never been sold before. It's either BS, or some kind of limited print to the first pre-orders a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that they set the initial run at a certain number and, overwhelmed by the interest and number of preorders, decided to order an additional amount to fulfill the demand.

The thing is, that's not a "2nd print" because it's adding additional stock to a first print that hasn't been released. Now if it had come out, sold out everywhere ... and then they released a second print, you could call it such.

As it stands, I think it's just Darkhorse marketing and nothing more ... granted, I got my copy the other day and haven't looked to see if it contains some sort of first printing reference yet.

Got mine yesterday. The book is really nice. It does have 1st print in the info page.

There is alot of neat stuff about the game design and many of the pieces are explained really well. The only gripe I had was it is a bit spoilerish (shows you what certain bosses look like, shows all the level domains and some information on Alice in the sequel) and i also saw that a handful of really good pieces are never explained. Still, the book is amazing, and i went through it because it was interesting to read about the production of the game.

[quote name='wugenius']Got mine yesterday. The book is really nice. It does have 1st print in the info page.

There is alot of neat stuff about the game design and many of the pieces are explained really well. The only gripe I had was it is a bit spoilerish (shows you what certain bosses look like, shows all the level domains and some information on Alice in the sequel) and i also saw that a handful of really good pieces are never explained. Still, the book is amazing, and i went through it because it was interesting to read about the production of the game.[/QUOTE]

I hope I get a first print... guess I'll find out tomorrow.

[quote name='wugenius']Im sure you got a first print. I don't even know if they started a 2nd print yet. I got it from amazon.[/QUOTE]

They actually started the 2nd print a month ago, before the first print was even released. Maybe they just decided to add the "2nd" print to the first print and still call it the first print since it was pre-release?

[quote name='Vinny']They actually started the 2nd print a month ago, before the first print was even released. Maybe they just decided to add the "2nd" print to the first print and still call it the first print since it was pre-release?[/QUOTE]

Could be. I couldnt tell from the one i got though.

Got mine today... book was in a box that barely fit the item and of course, UPS did it's best job to fuck it up. Amazon's shipping has be really shitty lately.

[quote name='popaloo']from those of you who got the artbook, what was your thoughts about it?[/QUOTE]

It is an amazing book. Really detailed and it gives alot of good insight. It does have some things that be considered spoilers but it's expected with something like an artbook. It doesn't give away too much.

An my copy was a little dinged up too on one corner. My shipping sucked from amazon too.

[quote name='popaloo']from those of you who got the artbook, what was your thoughts about it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wugenius']It is an amazing book. Really detailed and it gives alot of good insight. It does have some things that be considered spoilers but it's expected with something like an artbook. It doesn't give away too much.

An my copy was a little dinged up too on one corner. My shipping sucked from amazon too.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the book itself is awesome. The artwork for the game is amazing and the print quality is fantastic, probably just behind the Uncharted 2 artbook.

But I really wish companies would stop making their artbooks so fucking tall... these things barely fit in bookshelves.

I haven't gone through with it, but from what I've skimmed it looks pretty awesome. Much larger than I thought it would be.

Got mine today in a box. Corners look good, no creases or anything on the hardcover. Just did a quick glance through it and man the art is pretty damned awesome :D

Mine also came very snug in a box, but the book cover looks fine. My mom - yeah - instantly asked me to find some picture similar or from the book for her laptop background. I didn't expect that.

[quote name='Vortextk']Mine also came very snug in a box, but the book cover looks fine. My mom - yeah - instantly asked me to find some picture similar or from the book for her laptop background. I didn't expect that.[/QUOTE]
lol, that's pretty funny

mine shipped today ::excitement::

bread's done
Back