Summer Movies 2011 Discussion Thread

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
...so I work at a movie theater. I have since 2001. I watch a lot of movies and of course, discuss movies almost daily. I thought it might be nice to have a discussion thread for those who also enjoy to watch the summer blockbuster movies.

I'll try to add links to trailers or maybe just link each movie to imdb later....when I'm not using my phone. ;)

Summer Movie Schedule 2011

April 29
• Fast Five

May 6
• Thor
• Something Borrowed

May 13
• Bridesmaids
• Priest

May 20
• Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

May 26
• Kung Fu Panda 2
• The Hangover 2
• Tree of Life - Limited Release (added due to interest)

June 3
• X-Men: First Class

June 10
• Super 8

June 17
• Green Lantern
• Mr. Popper’s Penguins

June 24
• Bad Teacher
• Cars 2

July 1
• Larry Crowne
• Transformers: Dark of the Moon

July 8
• Horrible Bosses
• The Zookeeper

July 15
• Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 2
• Winnie the Pooh

July 22
• Captain America: The First Avenger
• Friends with Benefits 2

July 29
• Cowboys & Aliens
• Crazy, Stupid, Love
• Smurfs

August 5
• Rise of the Apes
• The Change-Up
• The Darkest Hour

August 12
• 30 Minutes or Less
• The Help
• Final Destination 5

August 19
• Conan the Barbarian
• Fright Night
• Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World

August 26
• Apollo 18
• Our Idiot Brother

Last edited by a moderator:
To start things off I watched 'Fast Five' this week in our Dbox seats. I have never watched a Fast and Furious movie until this one and thankfully, I didn't need to. I only watched it to experience the dbox motion seats which were awesome this time around. I last watched Battle LA in motion seats and they actually took away from the movie instead of adding to it. I thought the Rock was awesome in the movie and laughed out loud a couple times. It was a decent movie and even though the running time was over 2 hours with the trailers I didn't feel it to be too long.

...next week is Thor....not too sure on this one. We do a box office opening weekend prediction contest at my theater and I picked right around 70M. I guess I might watch it...maybe not in 3D though.

I will probably be living in the theater near my house since my wife be off on maternal leave starting Monday and we will see a lot of the movies listed.

We haven't been to a theatre in ages, even though we have discount tickets that never expire. GF's been thinking about going again (we didn't watch Harry Potter or Narnia in theatres this time around, because there was a bedbug infestation in the city).

We were just talking yesterday about what to see. Thor has never been one of my favorite characters, so we're not sure about that one. Same with Captain America. I love the Avengers with them in it, but alone, they're as interesting as Superman. Green Lantern, I was always excited for, but not too enthused about Van Wilder bring the lead.

Maybe we'll just save the tickets for Deathly Hallows pt. 2 =P

As excited as I am to see:

Transformers 3, Thor, Super 8, Green Lantern, Captain America, Harry Potter, Hangover 2, and even X-Men First Class (no way they can fuck it up as much as Wolverine)

I'm even more excited for next summer for 2 reasons: Batman 3 and Avengers

Those 2 alone will make next summer even greater than this summer.

...yea so many comic book movies as usual. I'm most excited about Harry Potter and Super 8.

I also cannot wait til next summer with Batman! :)

[quote name='elessar123']We haven't been to a theatre in ages, even though we have discount tickets that never expire. GF's been thinking about going again (we didn't watch Harry Potter or Narnia in theatres this time around, because there was a bedbug infestation in the city).

We were just talking yesterday about what to see. Thor has never been one of my favorite characters, so we're not sure about that one. Same with Captain America. I love the Avengers with them in it, but alone, they're as interesting as Superman. Green Lantern, I was always excited for, but not too enthused about Van Wilder bring the lead.

Maybe we'll just save the tickets for Deathly Hallows pt. 2 =P[/QUOTE]

umm.... what city?

Oh and the only movie I'm really looking forward to this summer is x-men first class.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']umm.... what city?

Oh and the only movie I'm really looking forward to this summer is x-men first class.[/QUOTE]

San Diego. It was in the news here several times in the last half of last year.

Thanks to RedBox and a general disdain for paying $8-9 to get my feet stuck to the floor and smell other people's BO as it wafts up my nostrils in the mid summer's night air I haven't seen a movie in a theater in a loooooong time.

But I may go to the drive-in this summer, since you can't beat $6 for two movies and being able to sneak in your own food from home to sit there and munch.;)

It won't be a 'blockbuster' despite having Pitt and Penn because it'll be way too complex and introspective for mass audiences, but 'Tree of Life' is very probably going be a ten times better film than every other movie on that list combined. Substitute it for just one phoned-in pulp comic movie in your rotation this summer and you'll doubtless be better off for the experience. Even if it's not your cup of tea, the exposure to an actual genius of Malick's (IMO, cinema's greatest living director, and he has been since Kurosawa and Kubrick died over a decade ago) caliber can only be beneficial.

My $0.02, anyway.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']As excited as I am to see:

Transformers 3, Thor, Super 8, Green Lantern, Captain America, Harry Potter, Hangover 2, and even X-Men First Class (no way they can fuck it up as much as Wolverine)

I'm even more excited for next summer for 2 reasons: Batman 3 and Avengers

Those 2 alone will make next summer even greater than this summer.[/QUOTE]

I would like to amend and add the Alien prequel, Prometheus, as I didn't previously realize that would be out next year as well. Now I'm beyond pumped for next summer's movies. That really is a trifecta of awesome. 2 movies that have been trying to be made for years (Prometheus and Avengers) to the point that no one would ever think they would see the light of day and the third movie is, well, what can be said really...

June 3

July 22

July 29
• Cowboys & Aliens

August 19
• Conan the Barbarian

Only those 4 and they're all nerd movies.

Only reason I'm interested in C&A is the T&A of Olivia Wilde. She's the new nerd movie queen and my new movie star crush.

[quote name='2DMention']
Only reason I'm interested in C&A is the T&A of Olivia Wilde. She's the new nerd movie queen and my new movie star crush.[/QUOTE]

Guess I'm the only one who wonders how she won Maxim's hottest chick. I prefer Cameron over Thirteen.

C&A has Ford, Craig and Favreau at the helm. That's enough for me, regardless of what female is in it. I pine to see Ford in a good action flick again.

That being said, huge summer for me. I want to see FF (eye candy alone), Thor, HP7P2, C&A, Kung Fu Panda 2, Super 8, Hangover 2 and maybe a few others. Haven't wanted to see that many summer movies in a while. And BTW, I'm totally convinced Pixar is putting out shit with Cars 2.

[quote name='panzerfaust']C&A only one for me.

I thought a Green Lantern already came out?[/QUOTE]

YOu're thinking of Green Hornet, which is out on DVD/Blu this week.

My thoughts... Most of these movies I'm going to sneak into anyways.

[quote name='super_dawn']

Summer Movie Schedule 2011

April 29
• Fast Five Meh...you've seen one, you seen them all.

May 6
• Thor The plot is on wikipedia. Not too hyped about this one... Comic nerds are getting their hammer's ready.

• Something Borrowed Meh...but bet you my GF is gonna force me to watch this..

May 13
• Bridesmaids Meh...but bet you my GF is gonna force me to watch this..
• Priest Meh..

May 20
• Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Finished 75% of the first one, never saw the last 2...don't care for the 4th one.

May 26
• Kung Fu Panda 2 Own the first one on BR...never watched it..
• The Hangover 2 I wonder how can they top the first one?

June 3
• X-Men: First Class Curious about this one...

June 10
• Super 8 Also curious about this one.

June 17
• Green Lantern Not too excited about this one since RR is GL :(
• Mr. Popper’s Penguins Saw the preview yesterday.......huh? God JC is getting old! :|

June 24
• Bad Teacher Heheh...yep.
• Cars 2 Free ticket(s)!

July 1
• Larry Crowne What's that?
• Transformers: Dark of the Moon For sure...however if they don't move it up a week earlier, I might miss the midnight/opening weekend because I will be out of town and the nearest good movie theater is 1 hr from where I will be at :(

July 8
• Horrible Bosses ?
• The Zookeeper Ummm.... Night of the Zoo?

July 15
• Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 2 NOPE.
• Winnie the Pooh Maybe...

July 22
• Captain America: The First Avenger Uuuhhh, sure.
• Friends with Benefits 2 Rip off of NSA.

July 29
• Cowboys & Aliens The second trailer that was shown makes this movie worse :(
• Crazy, Stupid, Love ?
• Smurfs It's still coming out?

August 5
• Rise of the Apes HMMMmmmm
• The Change-Up ???
• The Darkest Hour ????

August 12
• 30 Minutes or Less Looks good
• The Help ??
• Final Destination 5 Ummm...I wonder how good the 3d will be?

August 19
• Conan the Barbarian Doesn't seem right without Arnold.
• Fright Night ??
• Spy Kids 4: All the Time in the World ummm NO

August 26
• Apollo 18 Though they moved it to next year, but then I just read they moved it to August.... could it be a sleeper hit?
• Our Idiot Brother[/QUOTE] ???

I'll definitely see these at some point (be it theater or Netflix):

• Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
• The Hangover 2
• Transformers: Dark of the Moon
• Cowboys & Aliens

And these I'll see if they get decent reviews (i.e. I'm not that interested from previews etc. currently):

• Thor
• Rise of the Apes

The rest I'm either not interested in, or not familiar with yet. I'm also interested in Tree of Life, whenever that's out.

Looking forward to watching Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Transformers: Dark of the Moon. :D

So I watched 'Something Borrowed' and 'Thor' in 3D this morning....

Something Borrowed was predictable and boring...just like I thought it would be.

Thor...I know nothing of the comic! According to my friends I watched it with they did change a bunch of stuff...but I guess they always do that. It was an alright movie. I enjoyed it. It needed way more action for my liking. Is it going to be a big blockbuster? No. Stan Lee makes a funny little appearance. ..oh and the 3D was what I expected. Mostly just depth. It didn't give me a headache, but I didn't need it to be in 3D either.

Going to see Thor tomorrow, I'll probably like it. Kinda disappointed that they aren't going with the more literal norse mythology version of him being a god, but oh well.

I was only able to find 1 theater in the area that is showing Thor regularly without 3D. Its ridiculous how many theaters were offering 3D only. :roll:

Anyway, I'm excited to see it this afternoon. The reviews seem to be holding up pretty well.

Yeah the one here is 3D only, I didn't even know they were doing this in 3D. Probably just some cheesy tacked on effects.

[quote name='Clak']Yeah the one here is 3D only, I didn't even know they were doing this in 3D. Probably just some cheesy tacked on effects.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/To-3D-Or-Not-To-3D-Choose-The-Right-Thor-Ticket-24538.html

Sounds like it. Its another Clash of the Titans or The Last Airbender where it was filmed in 2d and then converted. Sounds like the conversion isn't too great either but luckily it doesn't seem to suffer from the same thing as Clash where the 3D makes the movie too dim.

[quote name='perdition(troy']so many great movies coming out...can't wait till they come out on blu-ray and I watch them lol.[/QUOTE]

+1 and I'll raise you an "HBO" and "Netflix" for good measure. I think The Dark Knight and Star Trek are the only 2 movies I've seen in the theater in the last 7+ years (excluding a few kids movies here and there). I am taking the kids to see Cars 2 when it comes out but that's probably it.

I do want to see quite a few of these summer movies eventually though.

The movies are just WAY too expensive.

[quote name='Javery']

The movies are just WAY too expensive.[/QUOTE]

Especially when you have a shitload of kids.

I saw the first and 2nd pirates, but I had a hard time following them. Maybe I wasn't interested enough.

The first one was ok, but I lost track after that. We bought the DVDs at a garage sale recently, not to prepare for the fourth movie, but Lego Pirates.

[quote name='2DMention']Especially when you have a shitload of kids.

I saw the first and 2nd pirates, but I had a hard time following them. Maybe I wasn't interested enough.[/QUOTE]

I fell asleep 3 times during the first 45 minutes of Pirates 2. Never finished it and I won't be seeing part 3 or 4 - ever. I don't know what people see in them...

[quote name='Javery']I fell asleep 3 times during the first 45 minutes of Pirates 2. Never finished it and I won't be seeing part 3 or 4 - ever. I don't know what people see in them...[/QUOTE]

Pirates. They see pirates in them. Oh, and ships and wenches too.

I like pirates and ships and especially wenches. Against all odds, I just didn't like these movies. Oh well...

[quote name='Javery']I fell asleep 3 times during the first 45 minutes of Pirates 2. Never finished it and I won't be seeing part 3 or 4 - ever. I don't know what people see in them...[/QUOTE]

Keira + Depp + Legolas is almost like a lesbian threesome.

[quote name='elessar123']Keira + Depp + Legolas is almost like a lesbian threesome.[/QUOTE]

It's also almost an all-dude threesome. It actually defies the laws of nature when you think about it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']http://www.cinemablend.com/new/To-3D-Or-Not-To-3D-Choose-The-Right-Thor-Ticket-24538.html

Sounds like it. Its another Clash of the Titans or The Last Airbender where it was filmed in 2d and then converted. Sounds like the conversion isn't too great either but luckily it doesn't seem to suffer from the same thing as Clash where the 3D makes the movie too dim.[/QUOTE]

Great article! It sums up perfectly the 3D in Thor.

Saw 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' last night after I closed work for the night. It was decent. I'd put it on par with the part 2 and 3...maybe better than the third one. I liked it, but I also felt something was missing. Just don't know what though. It was definitely better than Thor and the 3D was better in this one too.

[quote name='super_dawn']Saw 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides' last night after I closed work for the night. It was decent. I'd put it on par with the part 2 and 3...maybe better than the third one. I liked it, but I also felt something was missing. Just don't know what though. It was definitely better than Thor and the 3D was better in this one too.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why, but nothing about the movie so far looks exciting. Is it better than the trailers have lead me to believe?

[quote name='whoknows']I don't know why, but nothing about the movie so far looks exciting. Is it better than the trailers have lead me to believe?[/QUOTE]

You're probably right. I guess I'm one of the few that enjoyed it. Lots of employees who also saw it the past few days during our screening period say they didn't like it. :(

Must See
• Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (got movie cash already)
• Cars 2 (got movie cash already)

Probably will see
• Thor
• The Hangover 2
• Green Lantern (will check reviews)
• Super 8
• Transformers: Dark of the Moon (hated 2 so I will wait for reviews)

Kinda want to see but can wait
• Bridesmaids
• Bad Teacher

Oh this is going to be an expensive summer. Normally I see on 1-3 movies a year in theaters. Hope a bunch have movie cash available, I feel like that always lighten the blow of the cost to go to movies.

I know X-Men has good reviews, but even watching the trailer makes me want to cry. I mean, the real first class was Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel, and Iceman... And Angel wasn't female... And Beast want blue... And they're mixing all sorts of people who aren't supposed to be around or associated with them. Only reason to watch is cause of Emma Frost...

Edit: ok, I guess Angel is another existing character, but still.

Hangover 2 was okay. It was literally the same movie as the first, so if you want more of the same, you'll like it. I'll buy it when it comes out, but it'll be hard to see it in theaters a second time.

Bridesmaids was pretty funny.

X-Men's reviews are surprising to me. 20 reviews, sitting at 100% on RottenTomatoes. Will be going to see that on Friday.

Looking forward to Super 8, Hesher, Harry Potter, Captain America, Friends with Benefits (why is there a "2" after this title in the OP?), Cowboys & Aliens, Crazy Stupid Love, 30 Minutes or Less and Our Idiot Brother.

Not on the list, but looking forward to 50/50 and A Little Help (Looks like a chick flick, but.. Jenna Fischer, come on)

Saw Attack the Block at an advanced screening in Sacramento, and so far, it's my favorite film of the year. Perfect packing, great humor, great characters (especially Mayhem and Props) and just all around fun. It's like The Goonies meets Critters. Definitely go and see it if you get a chance, it's awesome.

9/10

[quote name='elessar123']I know X-Men has good reviews, but even watching the trailer makes me want to cry. I mean, the real first class was Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel, and Iceman... And Angel wasn't female... And Beast want blue... And they're mixing all sorts of people who aren't supposed to be around or associated with them. Only reason to watch is cause of Emma Frost...

Edit: ok, I guess Angel is another existing character, but still.[/QUOTE]

The "female" Angel is actually Pixie, she's a character in the current X-men lineup. You're right that Beast wasn't blue in the beginning but if you watch the trailer there is a shot that looks like its when he turns to his furry blue form.

I'm not looking for comic authenticity in my comic movies anymore. While 300 and Sin City were good movies that were very accurate to the comics, other greats such as Iron Man and Dark Knight have created their own stories with great success. Successful comic book movies don't need to take their entire plot from the comics. X-men 1 and 2 had almost nothing to do with the comics aside from the characters and they were pretty entertaining.

So, frankly, I could care less if Havok is Cyclops's father in the movie continuity whereas he's his brother in the comics. I'm more concerned with an interesting movie which I'm cautiously optimistic about.

bread's done
Back