- - - - -

My Japanse Coach DS - 19.99 Fulfilled By Amazon

#1 Miro   Browncoat CAGiversary!   339 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

Edit: 5/17/11, 11:03 pm - Due in-stock again (5/19) for 19.99! Get them while you can!

This is a super hard to find game. Sold by a third party seller, Hubbagames, but Fulfilled by Amazon. My experiences with Hubbagames has been pretty positive and I'd recommend buying from them. The fact that it's FBA means if something is wrong with the item, you can always just return it! Only a couple copies left, so get them while you can!

http://www.amazon.com/My-Japanese-Coach-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001BZ8EX8

Edited by Miro, 18 May 2011 - 08:40 PM.

#2 cheeky   CML CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

Wow great deal considering it's 22.99 used at gs.

OOS already

#3 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21187 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

They gone.

#4 Otty Ott   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2418 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Otty Ott

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

I've never had a problem buying from Hubbagames through Amazon.

As for My Japanese Coach, it isn't bad if you know some Japanese already, but if you are starting from scratch, it is a bit difficult. You are still better off taking a class...

#5 TheRareWareBear   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   465 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

TheRareWareBear

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

ta louse

#6 FunkyDawg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   527 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:56 AM

Available again for $5 cheaper backordered till May 11th for anyone interested.

#7 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:34 AM

TY!

All over it, need to practice my rusty Japanese during the summer zzz

Fulfilled by Hubba though, in stock 5/12. Very odd that pricing.

#8 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

Any one have any opinions on this series of games? I know zero Japanese but wouldn't mind learning some basic words and phrases cause that'd be pretty cool.

#9 ricshos   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   83 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

ordered, thanks for the heads up!

#10 blandstalker   I am Irrelevant Bitching CAGiversary!   2618 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

blandstalker

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

Any one have any opinions on this series of games? I know zero Japanese but wouldn't mind learning some basic words and phrases cause that'd be pretty cool.

These games don't really teach you the languages. They are not bad in conjunction with some kind of actual language learning -- they work vocabulary and memory pretty well. They are best for expanding your vocabulary or reinforcing the words that you learn. But by themselves they are not terribly useful.

My Japanese Coach is decent for writing. You can fool the DS recognition, but it's not bad for learning the proper way of writing characters.

#11 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:18 AM

Okay, thanks, I'll pass then, I shouldn't be buying any more DS games anyways.

#12 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16348 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:28 AM

Very odd pricing indeed but I ordered 1. thanks op

#13 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30360 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:23 AM

Ordered one for my sister. Great price at 15.

#14 Slermy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   444 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Dead.

#15 cheeky   CML CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

They've got some more now but they jacked the price to 24.99. Weak.

Edited by cheeky, 12 May 2011 - 02:53 AM.

#16 Batcave Dweller   Gone Batty! CAGiversary!   227 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Batcave Dweller

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

It's back to 14.99 and would be in stock on the 17th. Went ahead and ordered a copy. That helped me get FSSS since a copy of Phoenix Wright has been in my cart for a while.

#17 Zen Rukasu   Yo No Comprendo CAGiversary!   317 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Zen Rukasu

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

Thanks OP. Hopefully, A couple of weeks with this game and I'll be around 50% of my preferred understanding of the language...

#18 Survivor Charlie   Paragon of Virtue CAGiversary!   859 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Survivor Charlie

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:10 AM

I read Japanese on a conversational level and I can honestly say that electronic programs only got me about 5% of the way there. Most of what I learned I learned from plain old fashioned Flash Cards.

There's a few different sets you can get from places like Play Asia. Go with those. If you're looking for this as a collector's item, it might be "rare" but it won't be holy grail level rare.

#19 martyback   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   187 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

Pointless for learning a language. The best software for learning, if you want to use software, is Rosetta Stone and only because the new version allows you to chat with a live representative (chats are scheduled and orderly, very professional). Most of learning a language outside an academic setting requires mental dexterity and devotion from oneself. This might not be bad as a companion to learning if you're in a class but there are better options for companions.

The only DS software I'd recommend is a Japanese Kanji dictionary game. Very useful because all you do is draw the kanji, and if you have good handwriting, it's very quick (as opposed to the traditional method of looking up kanji).

http://www.amazon.co...05182899&sr=8-1

It's very expensive though.

#20 brb214   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   52 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

the new version allows you to chat with a live representative (chats are scheduled and orderly, very professional).

Wow, I knew Rosetta Stone was on top of their shit but I had no idea about that.

I've been wanting to learn Korean, too bad I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on software to do so.

#21 martyback   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   187 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Wow, I knew Rosetta Stone was on top of their shit but I had no idea about that.

I've been wanting to learn Korean, too bad I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on software to do so.

Eh, Rosetta Stone is mediocre for learning a language otherwise. As far as software goes, it's good but software only takes you so far. Rosetta stone does a poor job in explaining grammar rules and actually immersing you in the language. One could easily speed through a lesson and not really remember what they just did. You can't emulate the experience of being surrounded by a language in a 15 minute language. People say living in a foreign country is the best way to learn the language because it's true; you're forced to speak it and forced to try and understand it. It makes you mind wrap itself around the language in a way that can't be done otherwise.

Overall I'd say it's only good if you truly have no option. I understand your woes in particular because while Korean is my first language, living in America for the majority of my life has reduced my ability to speak to conversational. It's very hard to find a proper channel to which learn Korean. Rosetta stone doesn't help me because I want to learn the grammar rules, the structure and expand my vocabulary in an academic sense. My girlfriend however is learning through Rosetta Stone (including live chats) but also regularly searches for online pen pals in Korea or random Korean people to talk to online as well as going to other resources. She's been trying for almost a year and while she hasn't even learned what she'd learn in one level of academic Korean, she's gotten pretty far through some self-determination.

Learning a language is a grand pursuit but know what you're getting into before you try. Endschuldigen Sie, Ich muss schlafen jetzt.

#22 rpgfan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   355 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

Dead again? =(

#23 cochesecochese   corrompido e imoral CAGiversary!   4894 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

cochesecochese

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

The only DS software I'd recommend is a Japanese Kanji dictionary game. Very useful because all you do is draw the kanji, and if you have good handwriting, it's very quick (as opposed to the traditional method of looking up kanji).

http://www.amazon.co...05182899&sr=8-1

It's very expensive though.

Infinitely cheaper to either buy this through an importer or have a third party like dv8cag pick this up for you.

#24 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

Mine came today... shrink-wrapped but not y-fold. The cover insert was messed up in the back, and what do you know, it's in a Eco case.

Game came out in 2008 (before the Eco cases were used), so it's either: 1. These aren't "new" and they repackaged them, or 2: This is a reprint. Either way... not as impressed as I'd like to be but for the price I can't complain.

#25 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4012 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

Wow, this doesn't even sound like a game. Its amazing what passes for games these days . . . super simple cheap language progs like this being one such example. Unbelievably BORING.

#26 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16348 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:19 AM

Wow, this doesn't even sound like a game. Its amazing what passes for games these days . . . super simple cheap language progs like this being one such example. Unbelievably BORING.

it's not a game. it's for people to expand their language skills. You should try my word coach.

#27 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:23 AM

Have you seen what DS software is out in Japan? It's not trying to be a game whatsoever. Neither are the cooking books out there :P

#28 dallow   By Kaz! CAGiversary!   30360 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:01 AM

:rofl:

Mine came today... shrink-wrapped but not y-fold. The cover insert was messed up in the back, and what do you know, it's in a Eco case.

Game came out in 2008 (before the Eco cases were used), so it's either: 1. These aren't "new" and they repackaged them, or 2: This is a reprint. Either way... not as impressed as I'd like to be but for the price I can't complain.

Yeah, cheap reprint it seems.... Oh well. Cheap enough.

#29 cheeky   CML CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:20 AM

it's not a game. it's for people to expand their language skills. You should try my word coach.

You are mean to people but i have to admit... I loled.

#30 Batcave Dweller   Gone Batty! CAGiversary!   227 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Batcave Dweller

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:41 AM

I ordered mine b/c I just wanted another means of practicing Japanese since I'm a big fan of their culture, anime and some of their games that aren't available in the US. For 14.99, why not?