Ebay removed my Sub_Zero DLC code because of copyright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempius

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
I got a copy of MK from Best Buy that had the code and put it up on ebay. It already sold and I recieved payment and shipped it. I check my messages today and see a message saying it was taken down due to copyright and there is no record of it in my sold section and I cant even leave feedback. I checked and there are plenty of other codes still up. The message was as follows:

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]You recently listed the following listing:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]230617429269 - Mortal Kombat Klassic Costume Sub-Zero DLC Code for PS3[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Your listing has been removed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Copyright infringement is unlawful and against eBay's policies. Copyright is the protection provided by law to the authors of creative works, such as movies, music, software, photographs and books, both published and unpublished. Copyright owners possess the exclusive right to reproduce the copyrighted work, to distribute copies of the copyrighted work, and to perform or display the copyrighted work publicly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]eBay prohibits the listing of unauthorized copies of copyrighted works. Unauthorized copies include (but are not limited to) backup, pirated, duplicated, or bootlegged copies.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Guideline: If the product you are selling is a copy of another work that you aren't authorized to copy, don't list the item.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]We don't let sellers list virtual products such as online game characters, accounts, currency, codes that can be redeemed for in-game items, or related software. This helps protect the people who originally created the products and own the rights to reproduce and sell them.[/FONT]

Should I ingnore since I have already completed the transaction?

I guess ebay is really cracking down on codes. Got an email for a 12 month card I bid on two weeks earlier saying it was removed.

[quote name='Tempius']I got a copy of MK from Best Buy that had the code and put it up on ebay. It already sold and I recieved payment and shipped it. I check my messages today and see a message saying it was taken down due to copyright and there is no record of it in my sold section and I cant even leave feedback. I checked and there are plenty of other codes still up. The message was as follows:

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]You recently listed the following listing:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]230617429269 - Mortal Kombat Klassic Costume Sub-Zero DLC Code for PS3[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Your listing has been removed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Copyright infringement is unlawful and against eBay's policies. Copyright is the protection provided by law to the authors of creative works, such as movies, music, software, photographs and books, both published and unpublished. Copyright owners possess the exclusive right to reproduce the copyrighted work, to distribute copies of the copyrighted work, and to perform or display the copyrighted work publicly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]eBay prohibits the listing of unauthorized copies of copyrighted works. Unauthorized copies include (but are not limited to) backup, pirated, duplicated, or bootlegged copies.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Guideline: If the product you are selling is a copy of another work that you aren't authorized to copy, don't list the item.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]We don't let sellers list virtual products such as online game characters, accounts, currency, codes that can be redeemed for in-game items, or related software. This helps protect the people who originally created the products and own the rights to reproduce and sell them.[/FONT]

Should I ingnore since I have already completed the transaction?[/QUOTE]

If you have the buyers money and it's been shipped, then don't worry.

As long you got paid you should be okay. I would just watch your account to make sure they dont reverse the funds. Ebay did the samething to me a few weeks ago. I sold the item but they cancelled it before I got paid. Also note that users have an option to report an item so it could be an upset user reported the item since ebay has not removed any of the others.

Did you copy and paste any artwork from the internet? That's been a problem with more high profile titles...you need to take an actual picture of what you're selling, and ONLY use that for the main picture, and for any additional graphics you have in the auction description (just upload your pic to flickr or something, and go from the there).

DLC codes and Beta codes are NOT okay to be sold. Ebay is cracking down on this, and I was actually suspended for it (Thank g\God some smooth talking got that reversed). You DON'T want to be suspended. That is the ebay equivalent of being fucked from life! They can also get you retroactively, so just becuase an auction has ended, doesn't mean they can't hold it against you. I recommend using separate accounts to sell codes and only doing 3-4 each. Te last thing you want is to be suspended, believe me!

You could try the work-around of specifically stating that you are selling the piece of paper ONLY and there will be no emailing of anything, just the paper sent in the mail, but I don't think that's 100% either.

I'm guessing you didn't use an original picture or description because that is considered copyright infringement by ebay also.

I uploaded my my own picture. Even had my ebay name in it. I dont know why I was flagged versus anyone else. I also have the God of War Diemos skin up for sale but that wasnt removed so it must have been something about the Sub-Zero auction.

[quote name='Tempius']I uploaded my my own picture. Even had my ebay name in it. I dont know why I was flagged versus anyone esle.[/QUOTE]
Like someone else said someone else selling them probably reported your listing. Also there are random people that think theyre saving the world by reporting these great injustices to ebay since it is against their policy. Bottom line is it's a risk. If this is your first violation don't worry about it. I've had I think 5 or so now. They're probably close to banning/suspending my account by now but in the end it will have been well worth it for the money I've made.

If you're going to sell them it's better to sell something (anything) physical so that you have an argument if ebay does remove your listing and also because many random douche bags love to tell you the code you gave them doesnt work. You'll generally get nicer people when actually selling an item as opposed to sending a code through email.

I've sold a few MK codes already on eBay without issue, in fact, one just sold last night. But I am listing mine as the code/card and will physically mail it. I do offer an email option to those with recent positive feedback, though.

My guess would be a competitor reported your listing and said the pic you used was theirs.

[quote name='sp00ge']I've sold a few MK codes already on eBay without issue, in fact, one just sold last night. But I am listing mine as the code/card and will physically mail it. I do offer an email option to those with recent positive feedback, though.

My guess would be a competitor reported your listing and said the pic you used was theirs.[/QUOTE]I did the same last night. I sent it by e-bay message and he got back to me saying the code was good and all and left good feedback :)

This is my first time selling on e-bay though, can anyone help me with 3 questions?

1) The fees are always deducted from the money you make only if you sell right? Will they still charge fees if your item doesn't sell?

2) How long until the buyer can no longer file a dispute? Is it until the return period I chose is over? I mean of course if he recieves something broken sure then complain but I mean like if I choose a 7 day return period and 2 weeks later I get a complaint, can they file a dispute?

3) Do I always have to use the e-bay shipping label? How much $ do they charge for that? Or can I just take care of it myself at the post office?

I was just curious about those 3 things. Thanks for anyone that helps!

I've had this happen to me three times recently. My account was suspended, but all I had to do was take an online quiz about copyright and ebay's policies. Each time I was hit for basically stating that I would e-mail the code. I've since started adding $2 for shipping, but stating that e-mail is available upon request. I thought it would hurt prices, but so far hasn't.

I also got hit for this when I was selling a new copy of Bulletstorm, and stated that it came with access to the Gears 3 Beta. Such BS. EBay needs to come up with a better solution to allow for the sales of this kind of stuff.

eBay doesn't actively search out DLC's. The market is flooded with them. They only follow up with reported snitching. It says so in their response basically that some user reported it. It's happened to me before.

It's hypocritical that the users that report you are usually the ones that are competitors that are also selling it also which I'm willing to bet also lurk on this site and don't ever contribute so we got a word to describe those snitches that I'll just leave out of this post. :roll:

However, it is prohibited to sell those items on eBay. You are selling an item that technically is not yours. Just the risk of selling that stuff on eBay so you take the downside with the upside.

Yeah I had this happen when I sold a COD Black Ops zombie code. Basically they said it was OK to list this kind of thing IF its a physical object, i.e. a card with a code on it, but you aren't allowed to email the code (or at least just don't say that in your auction).

Couldn't you get around it by selling something with no value, like a used pencil, that comes with a "bonus" DLC code?

something happened similar like that. i was selling 1 month xbox live code. only the code no card. i sold a few then later i got slammed so i stopped. i was selling them auction only and they were selling like at 8-10 bucks each. i thought ebay only let u sell physical product not codes and must be mailed out.

I got hit for one of these a while back, and I called ebay to get some clarification on why. From what I understand, the reason they crack down (once they are notified, they don't actively search the listings out) is because of the unenforceable liability that comes with selling digital content. If the buyer disputes and says the code didn't work, neither you nor ebay can prove them wrong, even if you sent it using mail instead of e-mail. Ebay doesn't want anything to do with that.

The other (and bigger problem) is that digital content can be fabricated (think DLC code generators).

In fact, sending the card via mail isn't in line with ebay's policy either because the liabilities are still there. By offering a mail option instead of e-mail, the only thing you're doing is distracting them, as e-mail based listings tend to get hammered quite a bit more often.

Here's the policy they directed me to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/downloadable.html

Take a look at the bottom, under Not Allowed in the guidelines section.

I imagine this still works, so you can try it. I saw someone doing it a while back where they were selling a copy of the Reservoir Dogs script that was a promotional item with "NOT FOR SALE" labeled on it.

Basically, you title it "Sub Zero Custom Drawing with bonus free sub zero DLC" or whatever.

Then in the auction, you note you are selling a custom Sub Zero drawing and as a bonus included the DLC. The doodle can be a stick figure on a post it note or whatever. That way, you're not technically selling the actual code.

You most likely got reported. I know know a CAG douchebag has said he reports DLC auctions(can't remember his username), like it's his duty to do so.

[quote name='TiKi2']You most likely got reported. I know know a CAG douchebag has said he reports DLC auctions(can't remember his username), like it's his duty to do so.[/QUOTE]

Please remember their name...

...so I can send "a few choice words" to him/her

[quote name='TiKi2']I think if your going to sell a DLC code better to offer physical delivery as well then egay can't complain

Good thing I don't post much, it was easy to find.

Post #29

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278541&page=2[/QUOTE]

I side with him on his comment for one reason. If you email a dlc code and the person pp disputes you will lose. If you have a tracking number then you shall be fine, most of the time. He is watching out for you in the long run.

[quote name='pyoobez']I imagine this still works, so you can try it. I saw someone doing it a while back where they were selling a copy of the Reservoir Dogs script that was a promotional item with "NOT FOR SALE" labeled on it.

Basically, you title it "Sub Zero Custom Drawing with bonus free sub zero DLC" or whatever.

Then in the auction, you note you are selling a custom Sub Zero drawing and as a bonus included the DLC. The doodle can be a stick figure on a post it note or whatever. That way, you're not technically selling the actual code.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't work anymore. I was selling TF2 hats, then eBay started removing them. I tried that method afterwards, but my auctions were still removed and eBay made me take a quiz to have my selling rights reinstated. I contacted eBay and the rep said that I cannot under any circumstances include digital content with my item.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've spoken to ebay about this. You have to send the physical card and never ever mention that the code can be emailed. (Mentioning that you are gonna email the code or offering to if what gets your auction flagged.)

However, if the buyer asks you to email it, then that's fine.

But yeah, your auction is gonna cost an extra 44 cents.

[quote name='confoosious']i've spoken to ebay about this. You have to send the physical card and never ever mention that the code can be emailed. (Mentioning that you are gonna email the code or offering to if what gets your auction flagged.)

However, if the buyer asks you to email it, then that's fine.

But yeah, your auction is gonna cost an extra 44 cents.[/QUOTE]

That's what I've done with selling codes. The more expensive ones I've even sent certified. Still, I know if someone ever opens a dispute with "The code didn't work," there's no way I can prove them wrong and eBay will side with the buyer.

I was thinking about selling mine. If I do mail it, what kind would have any backing? A 44 cent mailing would only have a receipt right?

And just include:

I will send this CODE/whatever by postal mail. Sending it by email or by any other digital delivery method is not allowed and violates eBay policy.

[quote name='kylerg']I was thinking about selling mine. If I do mail it, what kind would have any backing? A 44 cent mailing would only have a receipt right?

And just include:[/QUOTE]

The cheapest way to get confirmation for a letter is by using certified mail, which cost me $3.29 when I shipped my Reptile code.

[quote name='Envel']I did the same last night. I sent it by e-bay message and he got back to me saying the code was good and all and left good feedback :)

This is my first time selling on e-bay though, can anyone help me with 3 questions?

1) The fees are always deducted from the money you make only if you sell right? Will they still charge fees if your item doesn't sell?

2) How long until the buyer can no longer file a dispute? Is it until the return period I chose is over? I mean of course if he recieves something broken sure then complain but I mean like if I choose a 7 day return period and 2 weeks later I get a complaint, can they file a dispute?

3) Do I always have to use the e-bay shipping label? How much $ do they charge for that? Or can I just take care of it myself at the post office?

I was just curious about those 3 things. Thanks for anyone that helps![/QUOTE]

1. Sadly yes, you still get charged. You'll still have to pay the insertion fee and any other fees for extras you put on the auction (buy-it-now, extra pics, etc.). But most of the time these are pretty small. I usually rack up no more than 15 or 20 cents per listing. The big fees come when you actually sell an item. On most normal auction listings (video games included) eBay will take 9% of the final sell price (not including shipping) up to a maximum of $50. The real gotcha moment is that eBay owns PayPal, so when PayPal takes their transaction fee, it's really eBay hitting you twice

2. From what I can find, a buyer has 45 days from the day they paid to open a dispute. I can't specifically find anything about a situation where a return time frame was listed and whether that had any bearing, though if you've been around these forums for any length of time, you'll quickly come to realize that eBay tends to side with the buyer most of the time.

3. No, you may take a package to the post office yourself. However, I've compared the pricing when doing labels through eBay, PayPal and the post office website, and they're always the same. In fact, the it's the post office that charges extra for doing it in person. I'd stick with doing it through eBay or PayPal. Tracking info is always automatically recorded and you'll have an indisputable record that you did ship the item (or at least paid to ship it.)

I hope that helps.

my AUCTION for a Gears of war 3 Beta was ReMoved . they have alot of Acutions for Gears of War 3 Beta why did ReMoved MY AUCTION

[quote name='YOUR BASE']The cheapest way to get confirmation for a letter is by using certified mail, which cost me $3.29 when I shipped my Reptile code.[/QUOTE]

You could also just put the code in a bubble mailer and crumple up a piece of paper to get the 3/4" minimum to use delivery confirmation. It should be around half the price of certified mail.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']You could also just put the code in a bubble mailer and crumple up a piece of paper to get the 3/4" minimum to use delivery confirmation. It should be around half the price of certified mail.[/QUOTE]

Where do you get bubble mailers so cheap?

[quote name='salty tbone']Where do you get bubble mailers so cheap?[/QUOTE]

Ebay or Amazon. I got 200 or so 3x5 bubble mailers (the tiny ones, like size 000) for about $20 shipped. Buy in bulk, it saves a lot of money.

[quote name='murphyspub']I've had this happen to me three times recently. My account was suspended, but all I had to do was take an online quiz about copyright and ebay's policies. Each time I was hit for basically stating that I would e-mail the code. I've since started adding $2 for shipping, but stating that e-mail is available upon request. I thought it would hurt prices, but so far hasn't.
[/QUOTE]

You can't even mention that email is an option. I had one pulled that had that line in it. You need to send an actual card - if the buyer asks for it via email after buying then that is fine.

But as far as I know you can sell DLC just fine - but it needs to be a card and not email... The guidelines that someone posted don't seem to address DLC codes for games per se - they talk about in-game items (thinking more along the lines of WoW accounts/gold/etc).

Why they throw that "copyright" bullshit at you when it is for emailing a code I don't know. I got the same warning on something a few weeks ago. I think it was a DLC code from the AC Brotherhood CE. I just relisted it without the email option and it has been fine since then. Emailing the code vs sending the actual card has nothing to do with "copyright" as far as I can tell. I guess they just use the boilerplate message that they thing applies the most :roll:. They did add a specific line about the email option in my warning though. That part made sense - the rest was nonsense.

[quote name='Arakias']^ Royalmailers.com has cheap bubble mailers. Code FIVE (usually) works to give 5% off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's where I buy them from, I pay around 14 cents for the 0 size

I've had a few of my auctions removed. I find that if i use a buy it now and around the price they go for then it usually sells quickly. I know ebay charges more fees for buy it now, but it makes it easier with and less hassle.

[quote name='poopants']I've had a few of my auctions removed. I find that if i use a buy it now and around the price they go for then it usually sells quickly. I know ebay charges more fees for buy it now, but it makes it easier with and less hassle.[/QUOTE]

its only .50 when I was offloading codes they would sell for $20.00

whats .50 compared to 20 lol

[quote name='Allwhowander']1. Sadly yes, you still get charged. You'll still have to pay the insertion fee and any other fees for extras you put on the auction (buy-it-now, extra pics, etc.). But most of the time these are pretty small. I usually rack up no more than 15 or 20 cents per listing. The big fees come when you actually sell an item. On most normal auction listings (video games included) eBay will take 9% of the final sell price (not including shipping) up to a maximum of $50. The real gotcha moment is that eBay owns PayPal, so when PayPal takes their transaction fee, it's really eBay hitting you twice

2. From what I can find, a buyer has 45 days from the day they paid to open a dispute. I can't specifically find anything about a situation where a return time frame was listed and whether that had any bearing, though if you've been around these forums for any length of time, you'll quickly come to realize that eBay tends to side with the buyer most of the time.

3. No, you may take a package to the post office yourself. However, I've compared the pricing when doing labels through eBay, PayPal and the post office website, and they're always the same. In fact, the it's the post office that charges extra for doing it in person. I'd stick with doing it through eBay or PayPal. Tracking info is always automatically recorded and you'll have an indisputable record that you did ship the item (or at least paid to ship it.)

I hope that helps.[/QUOTE]Thank you very much! It was a great help :bouncy::applause:

I just had a Gears of War 3 Savage Kantus skin auction pulled yesterday, so they're still pulling auctions for codes. I had no idea it was against policy; I had seen dozens of other ones both sold and still available, so I just figured it was okay.

This was my first time trying to sell something on eBay, too. Maybe the next time will go smoother.

EBay and PayPal needs. To really go ago why do great company's dead out but $hit a$$ don't

[quote name='starmask2k3']EBay and PayPal needs. To really go ago why do great company's dead out but $hit a$$ don't[/QUOTE]

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

[quote name='starmask2k3']EBay and PayPal needs. To really go ago why do great company's dead out but $hit a$$ don't[/QUOTE]

I want to have a beer with you.

I believe he means "Ebay and paypal need to clean up their act or go out of business. Why is it that good, smaller companies go under while large, deceptive corporations flourish?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back