GOG - Summer Hidden Gems - July 25 - Independence War Deluxe - $2.39

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
Every day until 25th of July, GOG will be offering one of their (perhaps lesser-known) classic PC games at a 60% discount. Sales end at 5:59 EDT on the following day.

July 25:

Pilot your Dreadnaught-class ship through the hostilities of space in this classic from Particle Systems (Subwar 2030, Evasive Action). Besides the usual colonist insurrection, you'll have the effects of mass and inertia to contend with in this challenging, yet satisfying, "starship simulator".

Independence War: Deluxe $2.39 [includes Defiance expansion]

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack, (3) Wallpapers, Reference Card, (6) Artworks, Ship ID Chart

Mobygames:
Independence War: The Starship Simulator (83)

Demos/Video:
Independence War: The Starship Simulator
Independence War: Defiance

Past Deals:
July 24:

Take control over the wartime efforts of one of 25 nations in this turn-based strategy. Re-live WWII with a friend with traditional multiplayer as well as Play-by-Email or create your own scenarios with the included mission editor.

Strategic Command: European Theater $3.99

Extras: Manual

Mobygames:
Strategic Command: European Theater (74)

Demo:
Strategic Command: European Theater

July 23:

Before handing the series off to Pandemic, Auran Games (Trainz, Fury) developed this early "3D" RTS incorporating elevation tactics and more advanced unit commands than previously seen in the genre.

Dark Reign $3.99 [includes Rise of the Shadowhand expansion]

Extras: Manual, Reference Card

Mobygames
:
Dark Reign: The Future of War (87)
Dark Reign: Rise of the Shadowhand (81)

Demo:
Dark Reign: The Future of War

July 22:

Experience classic Myst-like puzzles and exploration in a new set of worlds. This time with greater character movement (swimming, jumping, climbing), and an optional 3rd-person perspective.

Uru: Complete Chronicles $3.99 [includes To D'ni and The Path of the Shell expansions]

Extras: Manual

Mobygames
:
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst (78)
Uru: To D'ni (3.6/5)
Uru: The Path of the Shell (72)

Demo:
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst

July 21:

Fly the Apache Longbow and Havoc-B through somewhat dynamic campaigns with configurable difficulty for every skill level in this classic sim, the first in in the short-lived Enemy Engaged series from Razorworks.

Apache vs. Havoc $2.39

Extras: Manual, Strategy Guide, Key Guide

Mobygames
:
Enemy Engaged: Apache/Havoc (78)

Gameplay Video:
Enemy Engaged: Apache/Havoc

Even if you only want to play the sequel, Comanche vs. Hokum, with its great community facelift having Apache/Havoc will give you full functionality in that game's Havoc cockpit.

July 20:

Fight over the planet Krig-7b as one of two competing factions in this real-time tactics game from Massive Entertainment (World in Conflict).

Ground Control $2.39 [includes Dark Conspiracy expansion]

Extras: (2) Manuals, (3) Avatars

Mobygames
:
Ground Control (86)
Ground Control: Dark Conspiracy (80)

Demo:
Ground Control

July 19:

Help April Ryan restore balance to two colliding realities in this classic point-and-click from Funcom (Anarchy Online, Age of Conan)

The Longest Journey $3.99

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack, (2) Wallpapers, Guide, (5) Avatars, (29) Artworks

Mobygames
:
The Longest Journey (88)

Demo:
The Longest Journey

July 18:

Battle over the English throne in these amalgamations of turn-based realm management and real-time combat from Impressions Games (Caesar, Pharaoh, Lords of Magic)

Lords of the Realm: Royal Edition $2.39 [includes Lords of the Realm 1, 2, and 2's Siege Pack expansion]

Extras: (3) Manuals, Historical Reference, Siege Manual, (2) Wallpapers, Map, Reference Card

Mobygames:
Lords of the Realm (80)
Lords of the Realm II (83)
Lords of the Realm II: Siege Pack (3.7/5)

Gameplay Video:
Lords of the Realm II

July 17:

Tackle a "Light" and "Dark" campaign as one of twelve classes in this moody, detailed action-adventure from Starbreeze Studios (Chronicles of Riddick, The Darkness).

Enclave $2.39

Extras: Manual, (2) Wallpapers, (2) Avatars

Mobygames:
Enclave (79)

Demo:
Enclave

July 16:

A true hidden gem, this RPG was the only game released by developer Valkyrie Studios (though the team had also created Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity) and follows the tale of Maya, a scavenger on the "junk" level of the multi-layered world of Septerra. The large and engrossing game also features fully-voiced dialogue and sound/music from O'Donnell/Salvatori (Myth, Oni, Halo).

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator $2.39

Extras: Manual, (6) Wallpapers, (7) Avatars, (17) Artworks, (86) Maps

Mobygames:
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator (75)

Demo:
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator

July 15:

The Freedom Force has altered the course of time and changed the outcome of WWII! Restore order to history while enjoying new heroes, villains, and an improved custom character creation system in Irrational's (System Shock 2, SWAT 4, Bioshock) tactical beat-em-up.

Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich $2.39

Extras: Manual, (2) Wallpapers, (15) Avatars, (41) Artworks

Mobygames:
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich(81)

Demo:
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich

Some good mods links:
http://ffx.freedomforceforever.com/
http://www.alexff.com/
and more links here: http://freedomforceforever.com/

July 14:

Fight off foreign invasions in this innovative RTS (with a touch of RPG) from Haemimont Games (Tropico 3, Grand Ages: Rome)

Celtic Kings: Rage of War $2.39

Extras: Manual, (2) Wallpapers, (3) Avatars, (6) Artworks

Mobygames:
Celtic Kings: Rage of War (75)

Demo:
Celtic Kings: Rage of War

July 13:

The relatively unknown Cold War adventure game from genre veterans Revolution Software (Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky).

In Cold Blood $2.39

Extras: Manual, (18) Artworks

Mobygames:
In Cold Blood (74)

Demo:
In Cold Blood

July 12:

Recently ported to the Wii, this title offers 6 tables from Hungarian developers A.S.K. Homework (Pure Pinball).

Dream Pinball 3D $2.39

Extras: Manual, Glossary

Mobygames:
Dream Pinball 3D (74)

July 11:

This classic sees Epic Games' first foray into the realm of first-person shooters, as well as the birth of now ubiquitous Unreal engine series.

Unreal: Gold $3.99 [includes Return to Na Pali expansion]

Extras: Manual, (8) Avatars

Mobygames:
Unreal (91)
Unreal Mission Pack I: Return to Na Pali (72)

July 10:

A classic Settlers-type RTS designed by Settlers II's lead programmer.

Knights and Merchants $2.39 [includes The Peasants Rebellion expansion]

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack

Mobygames:
Knights & Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom(76)
Knights & Merchants: The Peasants Rebellion(3.1/5)

Demo:
Knights & Merchants: The Shattered Kingdom

July 9:

Reality Pump's (Two Worlds) second part of the overall Earth trilogy with two expansions.

Earth 2150 Trilogy $2.39 [includes The Moon Project & Lost Souls expansions]

Extras: (3) Manuals, Soundtrack, (3) Avatars, Wallpaper

Mobygames:
Earth 2150 (82)
Earth 2150: The Moon Project (79)
Earth 2150: Lost Souls(74)

Demos:
Earth 2150
Earth 2150: The Moon Project
Earth 2150: Lost Souls

July 8:

ASC Games' classic psych-adventure.
Sanitarium $3.99

Extras: Manual, Soundtrack

Mobygames:
Sanitarium (81)

Demo:
Sanitarium

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know when a new day's deal starts on GOG? Will this offer end at midnight or around 1:00pm tomorrow ala Steam?

I remember the boxart from when it came out. Checked out some reviews and seems like I'd dig it. Bought it and am actually moving it forward the top of my backlog.

In for Sanitarium... this is the perfect reason to use GoG.

Its a fantastic out of print game that wouldnt otherwise run on 99% of today's computers.

I know GoG has issues with windows 7 sometimes so keep an eye out for that, but for XP and Vista it seems like most games run very well.

Gonna be watching this sale like a Hawk watching a field mouse.

I played it back when it was first released. It has a great storyline if I remember right. I think I am going to pick it up. I love playing the older games sometimes.

Sanitarium plays fine but the character doesn't have a "run" so you may find some tedium as you slowly move across the screen. You pretty much will be playing this game for its macabre setting and story like you would say...Alice.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Sanitarium plays fine but the character doesn't have a "run" so you may find some tedium as you slowly move across the screen. You pretty much will be playing this game for its macabre setting and story like you would say...Alice.[/QUOTE]

I remember this game locking up at the exact same spot everytime I tried to play it back in the day. I'm gonna finish this game damn it!

So what is this like? I'm somehow not familiar with it, though it looks interesting, and is practically free...

Earth 2150 is a solid, lesser-known RTS from 2000. The main unique points about the game (which may or may not have been used to death since) are that you assemble all of your units through a branching research tree (you research various chassis, weapons, defenses, and other gizmos, and then put together blueprints that go into your unit construction menu), each faction has a completely different look and feel from one another, and each plays differently from one another (in an SC sort of way, I suppose, but to a lesser note).

I haven't played it in years, so it might be a little dated, but it's easily worth $2.39. Just an FYI, the two other games in the trilogy are more like standalone expansion packs than true sequels. It doesn't make them bad, but don't expect too much to be different from game to game, other than a few new units and concepts in each.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Does Sanitatium hold up?
I've never heard of it before.
[/QUOTE]

Sanitarium is a great game. Even the normal price on gog makes it worthwhile. Its a old school point and click though if you dont like those kinds.

So if your going to get it then get it from gog. They are one of the few people that truly deserve every single penny they earn. Ive gotten a couple games I was on the fence about trying just because I like gog and really want to see them do well.

Bought the one yesterday, and I think I'm buying this too. If nothing else the graphics look great.

Every day until 25th of July, GOG will be offering one of their (perhaps lesser-known) classic PC games at a 60% discount.

July 11:

This classic sees Epic Games' first foray into the realm of first-person shooters, as well as the birth of now ubiquitous Unreal engine series.

Unreal: Gold $3.99 [includes Return to Na Pali expansion]

Extras: Manual, (8) Avatars

Mobygames:
Unreal (91)
Unreal Mission Pack I: Return to Na Pali (72)

No pinball fans out there to share their opinions on this one? :)

[quote name='jkimrey']How does this hold up today?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']No pinball fans out there to share their opinions on this one? :)[/QUOTE]

Save your money and go with Visual Pinball. It's an emulator like MAME excpet with virtual pinball tables. The guys that recreate these tables are true artists.

http://www.vpforums.org/

If you happen to try it out before the sale ends, would you mind posting your initial thoughts?

[quote name='placebo3369']Bought In Cold Blood today. Looks like fun and I'm a fan of the Broken Sword series.[/QUOTE]

July 15:

The Freedom Force has altered the course of time and changed the outcome of WWII! Restore order to history while enjoying new heroes, villains, and an improved custom character creation system in Irrational's (System Shock 2, SWAT 4, Bioshock) tactical beat-em-up.

Mobygames:

Demo:
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd ReichSome good mods links:
and more links here: http://freedomforceforever.com/

I know I keep asking this, but I value CAG reviews more than gaming sites - any opinions on this?

[quote name='cheapo72']July 15:

Mobygames:

Demo:
Freedom Force vs. the 3rd ReichSome good mods links:
and more links here: http://freedomforceforever.com/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']I know I keep asking this, but I value CAG reviews more than gaming sites - any opinions on this?[/QUOTE]
The Freedom Force games are wonderful. The first few missions can be a little tedious, but once you get into the game, they're great and have a lot of replayablility.

The original is a little better than the sequel, IMO, but they are one of my favorite older games.

So is this not a sequel?

[quote name='Dragonsbane']I got all excited for a freedom force sequel I never knew about..... : ([/QUOTE]

July 16:

A true hidden gem, this RPG was the only game released by developer Valkyrie Studios (though the team had also created Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity) and follows the tale of Maya, a scavenger on the "junk" level of the multi-layered world of Septerra. The large and engrossing game also features fully-voiced dialogue and sound/music from O'Donnell/Salvatori (Myth, Oni, Halo).

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator $2.39

Extras: Manual, (6) Wallpapers, (7) Avatars, (17) Artworks, (86) Maps

Mobygames:
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator (75)

Demo:
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator

If you get a chance to try it out before the game goes off sale, please report back for the rest of us!

Thanks.

[quote name='Magsec']Purchased Septerra Core. IIRC PC Gamer really liked it, and it might be a better game than the recent Final Fantasies.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back