- - - - -

The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

#601 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10867 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:44 AM

Thanks for the link Strigol

#602 phantomfriar2002   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1576 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

phantomfriar2002

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

http://reviewhorizon...on-hp-touchpad/

thats the guide I used when I put android on mine

it's SUPER simple when following those instructions

Thanks! Going to give it a go this week.

#603 doubledown   Funky Daddy CAGiversary!   11758 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:56 AM

Hopefully the CM android mod goes beyond Alpha to a more stable build. I think I will eventually upgrade to Android. Right now, WebOS is decent for what I use the tablet for (not much really right now) :)

#604 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:03 AM

I just upgraded mine to CM today and I love it. I have yet to experience a crash. Using the how-to linked by Strigol was ridiculously easy.

#605 Strigol   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   277 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:57 AM

only thing I hate is that it only gives a couple gigs of memory to CM7 while reserving most for WebOS

#606 blitz6speed   Broken 360 D-Pad... CAGiversary!   2359 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

blitz6speed

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:10 AM

Right now since CM7 is in alpha, ICS Source is out soon, and devs wanting to get working on that, its dual boot in case you need something specific to work stability wise. CM7 does work fine as is, but once CM9 is started on the touchpad i would expect a MUCH more rapid rate of success. Once that happens, we should be able to nuke WebOs off completely and use all that space for whatever we need. Patience tho.

#607 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16350 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:48 AM

Am I the only one that hates the WebOS browser?

My main reason for switching to Android would be Chrome. (I assume Chrome would be available on Android.)

#608 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16968 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

Actually, in my opinion, the best browser for this thing is Dolphin HD...hands down. It has more "real browser" features than a lot of its counterparts (I've tried Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc), including stream support, regular tabs, bookmark toolbar, tons of custom settings, etc. I was blown away by how much it felt like a legitimate PC browser.

#609 phantomfriar2002   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1576 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

phantomfriar2002

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

Those instructions ultimately worked, though I had some "access denied" messages during the novacom/ACMEInstaller part. I didn't realize you absolutely had to put the ACMEInstaller file (not the folder) in the "Palm" novacom folder and start the command prompt that way. Before that I was getting error messages regarding novacom. Also had some issue with permissions but once that was done, it was amazing how quickly it went from there. Most of my apps worked, Slingbox works great! Now the Touchpad feels like an even better deal :)

#610 thrustbucket   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7942 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

thrustbucket

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

Right now since CM7 is in alpha, ICS Source is out soon, and devs wanting to get working on that, its dual boot in case you need something specific to work stability wise. CM7 does work fine as is, but once CM9 is started on the touchpad i would expect a MUCH more rapid rate of success. Once that happens, we should be able to nuke WebOs off completely and use all that space for whatever we need. Patience tho.

Interesting. I have never, and still don't, see why I would want android over webOS. Different strokes....I guess.

#611 ryushe   Dopey Otaku Assassin CAGiversary!   508 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

Interesting. I have never, and still don't, see why I would want android over webOS. Different strokes....I guess.

Same. I'll end up duel booting it at some point in time, but to get rid of WebOS completely in favor of Android ain't gonna happen.

And I actually like Android.

#612 tbassett   MW2 Still King CAGiversary!   1012 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:27 AM

Actually, in my opinion, the best browser for this thing is Dolphin HD...hands down. It has more "real browser" features than a lot of its counterparts (I've tried Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc), including stream support, regular tabs, bookmark toolbar, tons of custom settings, etc. I was blown away by how much it felt like a legitimate PC browser.

can you provide some details on how to get this installed? I would love another browser option

#613 phantomfriar2002   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1576 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

phantomfriar2002

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

can you provide some details on how to get this installed? I would love another browser option

You can get it from the Android Marketplace if you have it installed. He's right too, it really works well and feels organic for a tablet. Just wish I could drag all my Firefox bookmarks into it.

#614 eliter1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2957 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

I felt the same way at first but the customization and widgets in Android is AMAZING! The only thing I still love in webOS is the comic viewer and the patched Adobe. I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and I can't wait to get one of these Android phones that are coming out. Even when I Jailbreak, the amount of customization in iOS can't compete.

#615 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

I felt the same way at first but the customization and widgets in Android is AMAZING! The only thing I still love in webOS is the comic viewer and the patched Adobe. I am using an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and I can't wait to get one of these Android phones that are coming out. Even when I Jailbreak, the amount of customization in iOS can't compete.

Exactly my thoughts. webOS is very tablet-friendly, but the lack of apps is what hurts. Android adds SO much more functionality to the Touchpad, that I no longer even remotely desire an iPad. It does everything I want it to do now.

#616 blitz6speed   Broken 360 D-Pad... CAGiversary!   2359 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

blitz6speed

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

CM7 Alpha 3 is out for the touchpad, it is quite nice.

#617 doubledown   Funky Daddy CAGiversary!   11758 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

CM7 Alpha 3 is out for the touchpad, it is quite nice.

How much HD space is needed for Android? I have yet to do the CM7 stuff. Is it easy? What bugs are in this build?

#618 FeuerFrei   Kupo CAGiversary!   1637 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:25 AM

I haven't been able to find any information on this at all, really, but does anyone here have experience with CM7 Android Touchpad vs a Toshiba Thrive and which the better one may be?

#619 blitz6speed   Broken 360 D-Pad... CAGiversary!   2359 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

blitz6speed

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

How much HD space is needed for Android? I have yet to do the CM7 stuff. Is it easy? What bugs are in this build?

Android only takes a few gigs, you lose most of the files on the spare storage when installing it. there are LOTS of bugs. But its still 100x better then anything webos offers. Overall most apps work fine and functionality is really great. Just keep in mind that its a beta and you'll enjoy it more. Expecting perfection is non-sense and you shouldnt even consider installing android if you expect everything to work flawlessly, its not going to be that way for a long time.

#620 MillerTime2523   FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND CAGiversary!   8552 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

MillerTime2523

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Wow. Just learned this has sixaxis support and runs N64/PS1 emulators pretty flawlessly. I originally thought I'd use this thing mostly as a portable DVD player, but now I pretty much just got an old school portable game system as well. Can't wait to get mine in a few weeks and toss CM7 and some of my favorite games on it.. awesome

#621 MillerTime2523   FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND CAGiversary!   8552 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

MillerTime2523

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:57 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I got a quick question. Been googling around but can't seem to find a direct answer.

Say you're on CM7, have the sixaxis app installed, and a PS1 emulator / game installed. Say you're trying to play a game with a friend. Is it possible to get two sixaxis (or even wii remotes) running simultaneously and get 2P multiplayer going on a device?

Also, one step further, could you run HDMI to your TV to get multiplayer on the TV? I've been searching around but have no idea if this would work, anyone ever tried it?

#622 blitz6speed   Broken 360 D-Pad... CAGiversary!   2359 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

blitz6speed

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:47 AM

The kernel doesnt have hdmi pins connected yet, they dont know if you can do hdmi out for sure or not, although dalingrin the lead dev on the project does have a usb->hdmi adapter and is the guy who does the kernels.

#623 MillerTime2523   FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND CAGiversary!   8552 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

MillerTime2523

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

The kernel doesnt have hdmi pins connected yet, they dont know if you can do hdmi out for sure or not, although dalingrin the lead dev on the project does have a usb->hdmi adapter and is the guy who does the kernels.

Ahh okay. I was just assuming this has hdmi out, must have got it confused with another tab

#624 dubbfoolio   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1765 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

dubbfoolio

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

Managed to get a 32 GB for $168 using the ebay.ca trick yesterday.

I have a question for current touchpad owners... is the Cyanogen Mod 7 alpha 3 worth the trouble? Or should I just stand pat with WebOS until some form of ICS come out? Thanks.

#625 dubbfoolio   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1765 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

dubbfoolio

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

Okay I made the leap to CM7 which was pretty straightforward. Its remarkably stable! Worst case scenario I get an app is not responding error every now and then. Worth installing cm7 for Netflix alone... not to mentinh the thousands of other apps.

edit: ugh... I spoke too soon. Have to forget/sign on to my WiFi after every restart... Now getting sleep of death. CM7 not quite there yet.

Edited by dubbfoolio, 19 December 2011 - 06:57 AM.

#626 MillerTime2523   FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND CAGiversary!   8552 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

MillerTime2523

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

Can anyone offer some help with the onlive app? I have my sixaxis set up to work with my roms and emulators on the system. The Onlive games I have say a controller is required, but when I go to set everything up, the controller doesn't come up. Am I doing something wrong?

#627 ChunLiBarbie   Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

ChunLiBarbie

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Anyone here know how to UNinstall the Preware and Overclocked functions in WebOS?

#628 ChunLiBarbie   Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

ChunLiBarbie

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Then again, it looks like Preware doesn't take up much space. I don't know what to do! I like Android, but that thing must take up tons of space!!!! I have a 16gb.

Anyone have any insight on this other than "remove some apps". Anything other than that. 5 MB here and there is not going to help the way I want it to.

#629 blitz6speed   Broken 360 D-Pad... CAGiversary!   2359 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

blitz6speed

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

Ice Cream Sandwhich (CM9) is out and it is MARVELOUS. The touchpad has never run this smooth, ever. There are stuff broken (GPU accelerated videos, camera, mic), so netflix and youtube hd do not work, but normal youtube works, browser is effing AMAZING, games work flawlessly and so much more. Its absolutely amazing how nice it runs for a Alpha 0. Love it.

#630 htown01   Texas CAG CAGiversary!   1136 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

Ice Cream Sandwhich (CM9) is out and it is MARVELOUS. The touchpad has never run this smooth, ever. There are stuff broken (GPU accelerated videos, camera, mic), so netflix and youtube hd do not work, but normal youtube works, browser is effing AMAZING, games work flawlessly and so much more. Its absolutely amazing how nice it runs for a Alpha 0. Love it.

Excellent, thanks for the update blitz :)