xbox live account hacked

nuromutt

CAGiversary!
Anyone know what this would be?

No one was home yesterday but it shows that yesterday someone logged into my live account and bought 2 points packages, a 1600 and a 4000.

Then they bought "coins" which is listed as a "game consumable." I don't know what either of those are.

I changed my password and deleted my credit card, which is I guess my fault for ever putting in there in the first place.

Contacted microsoft, don't know if they will be able to do anything.

I've heard stories like this on Gaf.

Apparently, the whole process can take a couple months to resolve.

People there were going back and forth if you should contact MS or your CC company.

I'd say at least give your CC company a call too.

If microsoft wont do anything, you could file a charge back with your credit card company, although that might make microsoft close your account.

From what I've read before, hackers break into accounts and load them up with microsoft points or in some cases coins for FIFA ultimate team. Then they sell the info on various sites.

same thing happened to me like a 15 days ago. Usually it takes a month to look into. Mines still being looked into. Did you log into xbox live on the computer recently i believe thats what happened to me. Also file a claim with ur cc.

Happened to me 2 months ago and my friend a month before me. Microsoft should take care of everything, I didn't contact my credit card company and got all my money refunded. It might take about a month for them to fully fix it though, so be prepared to have some downtime.

This is yet one more reason not to leave credit card information connected to your XBL account.

Buying points cards and XBL subs is a much safer way to work with XBL.

reminds me that I have to contact m$ to get my cc removed (got in on that 1 month for $1 promo)

are people logging onto xbox.com on a public computer or something? not sure how accounts are getting hacked unless loggin info was left out. I doubt the site was hacked (though several CAGs mentioning an incident within past few months isn't comforting)

I've only ever logged into xbox.com on my home computer, never anywhere else. Funny thing was when I was hacked, I hadn't logged onto my xbox or xbox.com in a few months so that pretty much came out of nowhere.

It just recently happened to me. They bought 6000 ms points on my gamertag. I doubt they did it from a computer through. I logged into raptr and saw somebody had played Fifa 11 for an hour around the time I was hacked.

I had mine hacked a couple months ago. I started receiving a bunch of “Thank you for purchasing Microsoft Points” messages while I was at breakfast, and I knew it wasn’t me. When I got back to my place I was able to log in to my account and see that the person had spent all the points I had in my account, and they bought $100 more in points and purchased a ton of FIFA content. I was able to change my password (I’m not sure why they didn’t change this first) and get control of my account back. Besides the fifa content, they deleted all my friends.

Now two months later Microsoft is still “investigating”. They already closed the first investigation, and concluded that they would refund me $100 but mentioned nothing of refunding the 2300+ points that I had in my account before. Unfortunately they only refunded $20 of the $100. They made me wait 30 days to make sure that the remaining amount didn’t come through, and that has come and gone, but I’m still out $80 until they finish the follow up investigation. I was told the follow up investigation was supposed to be faster because it was escalated, but it seems slower than the first. They do call me every week to let me know there has been no progress.

The only odd thing that occurred prior to this was a few months back I received a strange thank you email for downloading or registering Age of Empires III. I bought the game during the $0.99 promotion last year, but I never actually downloaded or played it, although I’m sure it is tied to my Windows Live Account. I don’t think it was a phishing email, I think somebody actually activated it.

I also know that an old roommates hotmail account was hacked, I get a lot of spam messages from it, but I never open them. I think he abandoned it a long time ago. I’m thinking Microsoft was hacked, either through Windows Live, hotmail or somewhere. This is just too common a scenario for them to have cracked people with simple xbox live passwords, or a phishing email or site. There must be an exploit of some sort on one of Microsoft’s sites.

This seems to be somewhat common, I found this thread on neogaf.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442986

I too had a transaction show up recently that I never made, although it's actually a good thing in my case. Not too long ago, I bought a couple of small points packages on the Xbox web site and I got the standard "purchase confirmation" e-mails. Later that night, I received another e-mail thanking me for purchasing another year of XBL Gold. I never buy these directly from Microsoft and I don't have automatic renewal, so I was a bit confused and understandably concerned. But I've been keeping an eye on my credit card and no charge has been made. Nonetheless, my XBL account does indeed show an additional year. I'm guessing that in my case, it was just a weird glitch. It could be the same for some of you guys, but I doubt it...something seems a bit fishy.

Or should I say..."phishy"? Har har har!

Yeah, I have a policy where I don't put my credit card info into any of these websites, its just not worth the hassle. My iTunes account got hacked so I can feel your pain. You can get the points in other ways. I have heard about a lot of hackings going on so I think there is something up on Microsoft's end. I don't have any credit card on my account and I just changed my password to something I don't use anywhere else so I should be safe.

i cant remove my CC from xbox, it wants me to replace it when i try to remove. should i remove the auto renewal, then wait, and the remove.

I can't remove mine because of the Live for $1 deal back in the Spring. I assume that doesn't kick in until my current sub runs out which is why my card is "locked in." I have done cards and dash deals and am good through 12/2013. Not sure how those deals stack, but I'm stuck with my info on there.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']reminds me that I have to contact m$ to get my cc removed (got in on that 1 month for $1 promo)

are people logging onto xbox.com on a public computer or something? not sure how accounts are getting hacked unless loggin info was left out. I doubt the site was hacked (though several CAGs mentioning an incident within past few months isn't comforting)[/QUOTE]

I'm sure more than half of them are through Social engineering, Xbox phone support (being mostly outsourced and all) is famous for being incredibly lax when it comes to making sure your info is protected till you can properly validate the account

One of my co workers was talking to me today about how someone hacked his account and bought around $80 worth of Madden Legendary Jerseys! He called though and seemed to get it resolved rather quickly (despite the normal 1-2 week period to get the money refunded).

I'm pretty paranoid about this account hacking stuff thats going on - do you think that having my bank send me a new debit card with a different number would prevent any potential hacks? or if they did get in it would still screw up my account even if they weren't able to charge any points?

Just had my account hacked yesterday. They charged a bunch of points.
MS said it would take 25 days to straighten out.
Now my account is frozen. Means I need to start a new account ( use my wifes) and would need to buy a month of live. All my CC will now be off my accounts.

Sucks to say the least.

my account got hit today too, purchases were for FIFA 11 ut team packs. Filed a dispute with paypal and xbox but now gotta wait for it to be returned.

Yeh well Microsoft reset my account 2 weeks ago. But left it in the person that hacked my accounts email.. So the now relocked my account. In fact the tied my secondary email with the other person and gave me back control of the account they switched it with. (confused yet) Frustrated is as nice as I can put it. Ready to say screw it and do a new account, but would lose a few downloaded items.

When you guys are locked out of your account, you can't play online at all?

That would drive me nuts.

People on GAF seem to think this might be a browser issue with Xbox.com, not an EA issue.

It just so happens a lot of people are downloading Fifa things.

[quote name='seanr1221']When you guys are locked out of your account, you can't play online at all?[/QUOTE]

Can't do shit, not even Netflix.

i have a question for all you, why do you have your cc info still on there? I took that off years ago, I don't want MS having any of my billing information.

[quote name='skiizim']i have a question for all you, why do you have your cc info still on there? I took that off years ago, I don't want MS having any of my billing information.[/QUOTE]

I did, but after the hacking. I had them pull all CC and paypal info off.

[quote name='seanr1221']When you guys are locked out of your account, you can't play online at all?

That would drive me nuts.

People on GAF seem to think this might be a browser issue with Xbox.com, not an EA issue.

It just so happens a lot of people are downloading Fifa things.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not just a FIFA issue. The rep I talked to said it was partly a problem with a new program in some parts of Europe where they started allowing people to migrate their, say, Russian account to another country rather than having to have an account in their country of residence.

Hackers figured out how to steal info and migrate other peoples accounts onto their machines.

So my xbox is all in Russian as is my account page on Xbox.com. I'm not locked out yet as they have to do that manually since it got migrated to another country. They just locked out purchasing for now, while it's in the queue to get suspended while it's investigated.

Once it's suspended, you can't do anything as you can't sign on to your account. So no online game, no accessing game saves tied to that gamertag even for single player, no netflix etc. Console is pretty much useless unless you're willing to do a temp 2nd account for a while--but then any game saves, achievements etc. are under that 2nd account and can't be transferred to your main account when you get it back.

Well, somebody got on my live account and change the gamertag email. I do not have the account on my email anymore...

[quote name='Xellos2099']I just got my hack account back, but losing 4000+ ms point in process, but will try to protest for refund .[/QUOTE]

Well that was pretty fast for them. ( was like the 12th right)
Hopefully they work something out for you.
They claim they moved my investigation over to a manager now. I have BF3 just starring at me..:booty:

I can't remove my credit card info (I believe because I am currently under a promotional offer). If I called support, would they be able to remove the card for me without screwing up my account?

I had my account hacked about a month ago, and was charged for some ms points with email verification. I guess they sold the points and Microsoft deleted my old account. When i went in to log in, my name tag was completely different and it was a whole new account. The only thing i lost, was my couple thousand points in achievements. It sucks to lose your account to hacking, no matter how safe you think you are, people will find a way in.

[quote name='msdmoney']This seems to be somewhat common, I found this thread on neogaf.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442986[/QUOTE]I think I am done with trusting MS & Sony with my credit card info after reading this thread and the GAF one. I'm not having any success with removing my CC from my Live account, either. Looks I'm going to have to wait for my current credit card to expire.

Best of luck to those who have fallen victim to this.

[quote name='Thrinn']I think I am done with trusting MS & Sony with my credit card info after reading this thread and the GAF one. I'm not having any success with removing my CC from my Live account, either. Looks I'm going to have to wait for my current credit card to expire.

Best of luck to those who have fallen victim to this.[/QUOTE]
Its a shame this isn't a bigger story.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Once it's suspended, you can't do anything as you can't sign on to your account. So no online game, no accessing game saves tied to that gamertag even for single player, no netflix etc. Console is pretty much useless unless you're willing to do a temp 2nd account for a while--but then any game saves, achievements etc. are under that 2nd account and can't be transferred to your main account when you get it back.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so no single player when your account is offline?

That's insane.

[quote name='redflare']I can't remove my credit card info (I believe because I am currently under a promotional offer). If I called support, would they be able to remove the card for me without screwing up my account?[/QUOTE]

Yes, just call them. They can remove it.

[quote name='seanr1221']Wait, so no single player when your account is offline?

That's insane.[/QUOTE]

Well, you could start a new gold or silver account to play single player games. But your game saves are tied to gamer tag so you couldn't get to those, any achievements you earn would go on the new tag etc.

I can still play currently as my account still hasn't been suspended. Some of the dashboard is still in Russian and I can get anything from the Marketplace etc., but I can play for the time being--including online games.

Can't use netflix though as it's not an option in the Russian dashboard--guess they don't have Netflix over there!

Since everyone else is sharing their stories...my account got hacked back on Sept 20. They changed my gamertag, erased my gamerscore, all my saved games were gone, friends list was gone...everything but the email was changed. And then they tried to charge 10,000 MS points to my CC (a 4000 + 6000 card). The 4000 MS point charge went through but the 6000 MS point charge didn't.

This happened in the morning but I didn't have time to call them until the afternoon. Spent about an hour on the phone with at least 2 different people who said my account has been locked down and they were looking into it and that the whole thing would be done in a month - month and a half max (called my CC company and got that CC canceled).

Called back on Oct 20 asking what had happened to my account. They said they issue had been resolved on Oct 6 and that my “reset account email” had already been sent. I told them I had never received any email from them. I then asked them to repeat the email they had on record. Turns out even though I repeated the email at least 3 times and the guy repeated it back correctly every single time, the email on record was wrong so I had never received the email (they had asked me to give them a new email; one that was different from the email they had on record).

I asked them to please just send the reset account email to my old email that they had on my account. They agreed but I had to wait 5-10 business days.

On the 10th business day I called back asking what had happened. The lady told me that no one had re-requested the email to be sent. The last guy I had spoken to had basically lied to my face when he said that he had sent the request for me to get the reset account email.

So now I’m waiting another 5-10 business days to get the reset account email. The account hacked issue has been solved since Oct 6 but my account is still locked because Microsoft can’t seem to be able to send an email correctly. Or they lie about it and never actually go through with the request to send me the email.

I've been thinking....alot of people have been saying all this is happening due to the EA hack. Well, alot of people have their PSN accounts linked to their EA accounts, so why hasn't there been anyone thats had their PSN hacked?

It's not just EA. Seems to mainly be an issue with a new program/policy for account migration that hackers have exploited, per the CS person I talked to anyway.

Ok you guys might like this. Got my account hacked by email barg_1999@xxxxx ( spanish email )( they charged 10,000 point off me )
Got a message today from a Barg1996 to my account in spanish.

Google translator came out with this
Q wave buy you an account of 10000 microsoft points account Recover then you did as I was waiting and waiting for q to have gears 3 maps

So did the hacker just send me a message.... Me thinks so!

WTF

Just got hacked myself today. Same thing, they bought 10,000 points and bought a few Fifa things. I was able to change my password and recover the gamertag. Talked to a rep from Microsoft and they were very helpful and said it should be about 2 weeks to a month to take care of. On the phone now with my credit card to dispute the charges.

I am not having the severity of the problems that some of you are having with credit card issues..But I have been becoming more paranoid...Every so often I get random friends on my friends list..Just got another one tonight..Has this happened to anyone?

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']I am not having the severity of the problems that some of you are having with credit card issues..But I have been becoming more paranoid...Every so often I get random friends on my friends list..Just got another one tonight..Has this happened to anyone?[/QUOTE]

Are you sure one of your friends didn't just change their gamertag? It happens.

[quote name='porieux']Are you sure one of your friends didn't just change their gamertag? It happens.[/QUOTE]

I know it is not a change of Gamertags...These people have No Bio Info Or Anything..

And I remember how many people are on my friends list and the total keeps going up

bread's done
Back