Rolling Stone's "The Immortals:The 100 Greatest Artists of All Time"

sblymnlcrymnl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (99%)
Link

Here's the complete list, followed by who nominated them. Discuss.

1) The Beatles by Elvis Costello

2) Bob Dylan by Robbie Robertson

3) Elvis Presley by Bono

4) The Rolling Stones by Steven Van Zandt

5) Chuck Berry by Joe Perry

6) Jimi Hendrix by John Mayer

7) James Brown by Rick Rubin

8) Little Richard by Little Richard

9) Aretha Franklin by Jerry Wexler

10) Ray Charles by Van Morrison

11) Bob Marley by Wyclef Jean

12) The Beach Boys by Lindsey Buckingham

13) Buddy Holly by John Mellencamp

14) Led Zeppelin by Dave Grohl

15) Stevie Wonder by Elton John

16) Sam Cooke by Art Garfunkel

17) Muddy Watters by Billy Gibbons

18) Marvin Gaye by Smokey Robinson

19) The Velvet Underground by Julian Casablancas

20) Bo Diddley by Iggy Pop

21) Otis Redding by Steve Cropper

22) U2 by Chris Martin

23) Bruce Springsteen by Jackson Browne

24) Jerry Lee Lewis by Moby

25) Fats Domino by Dr. John

26) The Ramones by Lenny Kaye

27) Nirvana by Vernon Reid

28) Prince by Ahmir Thompson

29) The Who by Eddie Vedder

30) The Clash by The Edge

31) Johnny Cash by Kris Kristofferson

32) Smokey Robinson and the Miracles by Bob Seger

33) The Everly Brothers by Paul Simon

34) Neil Young by Flea

35) Michael Jackson by Antonio "LA" Reid

36) Madonna by Britney Spears

37) Roy Orbison by K.D. Lang

38) John Lennon by Lenny Kravitz

39) David Bowie by Lou Reed

40) Simon and Garfunkel by James Taylor

41) The Doors by Marilyn Manson

42) Van Morrison by Peter Wolf

43) Sly and the Family Stone by Don Was

44) Public Enemy by Adam Yauch

45) The Byrds by Tom Petty

46) Janis Joplin by Rosanne Cash

47) Patti Smith by Shirley Manson

48) Run-DMC by Chuck D

49) Elton John by Billy Joel

50) The Band by Lucinda Williams

51) Howlin' Wolf by Buddy Guy

52) The Allman Brothers Band by Billy Gibbons

53) Eric Clapton by Little Steven

54) Dr. Dre by Kanye West

55) Grateful Dead by Warren Haynes

56) Parliament/Funkadelic by Ice Cube

57) Aerosmith by Slash

58) Sex Pistols by Billie Joe Armstrong

59) Louis Jordan by Ahmet Ertegun

60) Joni Mitchell by Jewel

61) Tina Turner by Janet Jackson

62) Etta James by Bonnie Raitt

63) Phil Spector by Jerry Wexler

64) The Kinks by Peter Buck

65) Al Green by Justin Timberlake

66) Cream by Roger Waters

67) The Temptations by Rod Stewart

68) Jackie Wilson by Peter Wolf

69) Carl Perkins by Tom Petty

70) The Police by Brandon Flowers

71) Frank Zappa by Trey Anastasio

72) AC/DC by Rick Rubin

73) Radiohead by Dave Matthews

74) Hank Williams by Beck

75) The Eagles by Sheryl Crow

76) The Shirelles by Paul Shaffer

77) Beastie Boys by Darryl "DMC" McDaniels

78) The Stooges by Thurston Moore

79) The Four Tops by Smokey Robinson

80) Elvis Costello by Liz Phair

81) The Drifters by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller

82) Eminem by Elton John

83) N.W.A. by Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson

84) James Taylor by Art Garfunkel

85) Black Sabbath by Dave Navarro

86) Tupac Shakur by 50 Cent

87) Gram Parsons by Keith Richards

88) Miles Davis by Mos Def

89) The Yardbirds by Steven Tyler

90) Carlos Santana by Henry Garza

91) Ricky Nelson by John Fogerty

92) Guns n' Roses by Joe Perry

93) Booker T. and the MG's by Isaac Hayes

94) Nine Inch Nails by David Bowie

95) Lynyrd Skynyrd by Al Kooper

96) Martha and the Vandellas by Fred Schneider

97) Diana Ross and the Supremes by Antonio "LA" Reid

98) Roxy Music by John Taylor

99) Curtis Mayfield by Boz Scaggs

100) Lee "Scratch" Perry by Adam Horovitz

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Lucky for Ray Charles he had a popular movie made out of his life so recently, otherwise he wouldn't have been so high.[/QUOTE]

^^whether anyone here wants to admit it, that is the damn truth. I'm just glad he said it and not me, I didn't want to offend anyone :p.. if he hadn't have died/had a new movie about him, I guarentee that he would've also not won the "CD of the year" award.

I cannot take this list seriously because it lacks Frank Sinatra. How can you use the word "greatest" without mentioning Ole' Blue Eyes?

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']I cannot take this list seriously because it lacks Frank Sinatra. How can you use the word "greatest" without mentioning Ole' Blue Eyes?[/QUOTE]

All of Rolling Stone's lists are BS. Their 500 Greatest Songs was impressive (simply because they got 500) but horrible. Forgot so many songs and put a lot of songs on there that simply weren't good (case in point: Hey Ya by Outkast).

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Didn't they do a duet together?[/QUOTE]

didn't eminem say something bad towards homosexuals and elton john got pissed off?

[quote name='beerguy961']All of Rolling Stone's lists are BS. Their 500 Greatest Songs was impressive (simply because they got 500) but horrible. Forgot so many songs and put a lot of songs on there that simply weren't good (case in point: Hey Ya by Outkast).[/QUOTE]

I agree. But Spin magazine takes the cake for having the worst lists.

I guess I'll just be satisfied that Chuck Berry was so near the top, and save myself an attempt at analyzing/criticizing that whole monsterous (mounsterously flawed ;) ) list. I will however, say that I really despise some of the bands on that list for their over-ratedness.

EDIT: WTF WHERE'S PINK FLOYD :evil:

EDIT 2: also needs more blues and jazz artists, and a different lineup of rap artists. tupac? :?

Wow, a lot of people are pointing out names that I missed...No Pink Floyd?...No Sinatra?...The Eagles at #75?...yeah fucking right.

Dave Grohl, representin'. My respect for that man grows by the day.

Who the hell ever allowed John Mayer's name to even exist in the same sentence as Jimi.

And while we're at it, fuck Bono, fuck The Edge, and fuck U2. fuck them until the world collapses.

/is reminded of why he stopped reading music magazines in the first place

Seriously folks, number fucking 22. The Edge doesn't have enough intestinal fortitude to even spin a Clash record. Disgusting.

How does michael jackson only get #35? I also would have put kate bush somewhere near the end of that list. Not one single person I listen to made that list.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']How does michael jackson only get #35? I also would have put kate bush somewhere near the end of that list. Not one single person I listen to made that list.[/QUOTE]

Michael Jackson at #35 is a travesty. Not a huge fan or anything, but the man has got to be in at least the top 10, if not the top 5...

[quote name='beerguy961']Michael Jackson at #35 is a travesty. Not a huge fan or anything, but the man has got to be in at least the top 10, if not the top 5...[/QUOTE]

He probably got dropped due to the trial. Dylan, presley and the beatles are the only ones I'd put ahead of him, and dylan I'd debate.

[quote name='tinman_licks']I'm glad Little Richard remembered to nominate himself.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='Ledhed']Dave Grohl, representin'. My respect for that man grows by the day.

Who the hell ever allowed John Mayer's name to even exist in the same sentence as Jimi.

And while we're at it, fuck Bono, fuck The Edge, and fuck U2. fuck them until the world collapses.

/is reminded of why he stopped reading music magazines in the first place[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hate U2 with a passion as well.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Yeah, I hate U2 with a passion as well.[/QUOTE]

I can already see the headline.

Joe Strummer's corpse rises from grave to vomit blood all over U2's The Edge. Dave Grohl says "He had it coming."

[quote name='Ledhed']I can already see the headline.

Joe Strummer's corpse rises from grave to vomit blood all over U2's The Edge. Dave Grohl says "He had it coming."[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Looking at that list, I own a combined 70 releases by 13 different artists. That seems rather pathetic, but then so is that list. :lol:

Bob Dylan - 8

Jimi Hendrix - 1

Led Zeppelin - 6

Nirvana - 7

The Who - 3

Simon & Garfunkel - 1

The Doors - 7

Dr. Dre - 2

Radiohead - 8

Beastie Boys - 7

Eminem - 4

Guns 'n' Roses - 1

Nine Inch Nails - 15

[quote name='thebullshitlist']21) Otis Redding by Steve Cropper

22) U2 by Chris Martin

23) Bruce Springsteen by Jackson Browne

25) Fats Domino by Dr. John

26) The Ramones by Lenny Kaye

27) Nirvana by Vernon Reid

28) Prince by Ahmir Thompson

29) The Who by Eddie Vedder

30) The Clash by The Edge[/QUOTE]

Here's a prime example of what's wrong with the list... U2 above Bruce? Jerry Lee Lewis (who was great, but in all reality was not as big as he could have been) above the Ramones and Nirvana? Prince above the Who and the Clash?

I call BULLSHIT...

Like I said, there's lots I don't like about that list, but the two biggest offenses IMHO are putting U2 anywhere on it, and omitting Pink Floyd. Seriously, wtf.

Also, I'm surprised Queen isn't on the list (despite the fact that I despise Queen).

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Looking at that list, I own a combined 70 releases by 13 different artists. That seems rather pathetic, but then so is that list. :lol:

Bob Dylan - 8

Jimi Hendrix - 1

Led Zeppelin - 6

Nirvana - 7

The Who - 3

Simon & Garfunkel - 1

The Doors - 7

Dr. Dre - 2

Radiohead - 8

Beastie Boys - 7

Eminem - 4

Guns 'n' Roses - 1

Nine Inch Nails - 15[/QUOTE]

Interesting idea. I've only got 45 albums by artists on that list. It seems I have less total albums but a greater variety than you :booty:

IKIK

anyways, the most albums I have by one artist on that list is 8, Bob Marley.

EDIT: 45 albums by 28 artists/bands.

[quote name='beerguy961']Here's a prime example of what's wrong with the list... U2 above Bruce? Jerry Lee Lewis (who was great, but in all reality was not as big as he could have been) above the Ramones and Nirvana? Prince above the Who and the Clash?

I call BULLSHIT...[/QUOTE]

I agree with prince, in his time he was huge. u2 and bruce I'd say were close. Though, personally, I don't like any of the ones you brought up.

[quote name='Ledhed']

[/QUOTE]

While I agree John Mayer isnt in the same league as Hendrix, because not many are, he can still play a mean guitar. Have you heard any of his live or older acoustic stuff? Most of it is really impressive, and worth a listen. I'm not a big Mayer fan, because I dont really like his singing style, but I do like his guitar...

I own a combined 22 releases by 10 different artists on that list.

The Rolling Stones - 1

Jimi Hendrix - 1

Led Zeppelin - 1

Nirvana - 2

AC/DC - 6

Beastie Boys - 1

Black Sabbath - 7

Guns n' Roses - 1

Nine Inch Nails - 1

Lynyrd Skynyrd - 1

eminem made a song and it had a diss on homosexual or something
and elton john is a known homosexual
so to prove that eminem wasnt a homosexual hater
then did a duet together to the song "stan" i think
it was the mtv awards and after the performance
they to hugged, held hands and skammed with each other

y would 50 cent say 2pac instead of another NY rapper(biggie)
guess he knows who the real #1 rapper was

fixed cuz alonzo is offended by the word fag, my bad
i just use it cuz thats a common word that everyone uses around here, even have homo friends that use it

[quote name='greyzieoriental']eminem made a song and it had a diss on fagots or something
and elton john is a known fag
so to prove that eminem wasnt a fag hater
then did a duet together to the song "stan" i think
it was the mtv awards and after the performance
they to hugged, held hands and skammed with each other

y would 50 cent say 2pac instead of another NY rapper(biggie)
guess he knows who the real #1 rapper was[/QUOTE]

is there a reason to keep using the term fag?

[quote name='beerguy961']Forgot so many songs and put a lot of songs on there that simply weren't good (case in point: Hey Ya by Outkast).[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I don't know about that. You may not like it, but I can't remember the last time I saw a song resonate with such a vast amount of people. 6 year old kids, 25 year old men, 59 year old women, white, black, green.. doesn't matter. Noone could deny the urge to move or sing along when that song came on. It's going down in history and will be on numerous compilations through the years (whether that's good or bad, who knows).

I'm also starting to think that people hate U2 because they got big. (Oh no!)

I'm just happy to see Radiohead on the list.

Also nice to see some respect for Public Enemy and Bowie giving some props to a younger generation in his nomination of Reznor.

What's missing for me? Joy Division/New Order, Pixies, Smiths

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i just use it cuz thats a common word that everyone uses around here, even have homo friends that use it[/QUOTE]

That doesn't justify it's use as the preferred nomenclature, casual or no.

[quote name='megashock5']I'm also starting to think that people hate U2 because they got big. (Oh no!)[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that factors in for alot of people. But my hatred for them runs deeper. It's like a fine wine that grows more potent with age.

[quote name='Ledhed']I'm sure that factors in for alot of people. But my hatred for them runs deeper. It's like a fine wine that grows more potent with age.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's possible to limit my hatred to just one thing, but if I'd have to choose it'd be the fact that Bono is the biggest assbag in the history of music. Also he has a horribly annoying voice. And the quasi-religious song writing ... AND HE CALLS HIMSELF fuckING BONO!

So I guess that one thing would be Bono.

I can't believe the Edge can get away with pimping the same riff for five albums and be looked at as a genius. Have you seen the video where the feet are rubbing against his face? My dream is to remake that video, but replace the feet with shards of broken glass and Slayer records.

And, like crymnl noted, normally the kind of stupendous vanity that leads celebrities to justify changing their name to some ridiculous phrase isn't concentrated, but rather spread out over several artists (Sting, Prince, etc.). But within U2 alone, we have two instances of jackasses thinking it's cool to be called anything other than what their mother calls them. This practice is somewhat forgivable, based on the level of stupidity achieved with the "preferred" name. But Bono and The Edge? Kill me now, before I kill them.

[quote name='Ledhed']And, like crymnl noted, normally the kind of stupendous vanity that leads celebrities to justify changing their name to some ridiculous phrase isn't concentrated, but rather spread out over several artists (Sting, Prince, etc.). But within U2 alone, we have two instances of jackasses thinking it's cool to be called anything other than what their mother calls them. This practice is somewhat forgivable, based on the level of stupidity achieved with the "preferred" name. But Bono and The Edge? Kill me now, before I kill them.[/QUOTE]

The worst part is that his full assumed name, Bono Vox, literally means "Good Voice".

BURN IN HELL YOU fuckING DOUCHE! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

[quote name='Ledhed']And, like crymnl noted, normally the kind of stupendous vanity that leads celebrities to justify changing their name to some ridiculous phrase isn't concentrated, but rather spread out over several artists (Sting, Prince, etc.).[/QUOTE]

Point taken, but Prince's name is Prince. That's what his mother named him.

That list is shit. Pearl Jam is not on it - and U2 at #22? Please. And Aerosmith isn't in the top 1,000,000 artists of all time - what the hell are they doing on that list. God they blow.

[quote name='megashock5']Hmm. I don't know about that. You may not like it, but I can't remember the last time I saw a song resonate with such a vast amount of people. 6 year old kids, 25 year old men, 59 year old women, white, black, green.. doesn't matter. Noone could deny the urge to move or sing along when that song came on. It's going down in history and will be on numerous compilations through the years (whether that's good or bad, who knows).[/QUOTE]

I can't buy into the idea that just because a song "resonates" with a lot of people that it makes it one of the best songs of all time. There are a lot of songs that became really popular and just because they find a wide audience does not make it a good song. It simply makes it a popular song. Not that that inherently makes it bad, but it certainly doesn't make it good.

[quote name='beerguy961']I can't buy into the idea that just because a song "resonates" with a lot of people that it makes it one of the best songs of all time. There are a lot of songs that became really popular and just because they find a wide audience does not make it a good song. It simply makes it a popular song. Not that that inherently makes it bad, but it certainly doesn't make it good.[/QUOTE]

MACARENA!!

I used to enjoy reading lists like this, but in the world with P2P/Internet Radio where you can really explore all different kinds of sounds and beats without a draconian industry-enforced price-barrier, this old-school top-40 approach keeps getting lamer and lamer.

my opinions:
5) Chuck Berry by Joe Perry
-he is crazy awesome i recomend, johnny B. Goode, and You Never Can tell

6) Jimi Hendrix by John Mayer
-john mayer recomended jimi hendrix, wtf

8) Little Richard by Little Richard
-hes good, but their might be ego issues

-never saw that recomendation coming

41) The Doors by Marilyn Manson
-ditto

49) Elton John by Billy Joel
- two words, Lion King

55) Grateful Dead by Warren Haynes
-Hes in the band

66) Cream by Roger Waters
-roger waters came out of his hole, lets get him, and make him tour again
I agree with mostly everyone on that list, save madonna, though some importants are missing like stevie ray vaughan

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef']Also, I'm surprised Queen isn't on the list[/QUOTE]

Well, apparently having two of the most recognizable songs of ALL fuckING TIME (We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions) isn't enough for Rolling Stone. Seriously, is there even one person here who doesn't know the choruses to those two songs?

And Sinatra is still the one that pisses me off the most. I would say The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Frank Sinatra are the three most famous, recognizable, influential, and any other word you can think of, artists of all time. But of course, Rolling Stone and MTV have the world thinking jazz is just that shit you listen to in elevators, instead of the only true American art form.

And Little Richard at #8!? What!?

bread's done
Back