* * * * - 6 votes

Wii U - General Discussion Thread

#4651 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

From, many reports, Xbox One isnt even a "true" next gen console. hell who knows if Ps4 will be either.

The real question is, will the Wii U be able to run an Xbox One game 5 years from now?

#4652 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11200 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

The real question is, will the Wii U be able to run an Xbox One game 5 years from now?

5 years from now the Wii U will be 6 years old so id expect a new system to be out around that time.

Deader2818.png

#4653 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

5 years from now the Wii U will be 6 years old so id expect a new system to be out around that time.

The correct answer is: No it can't play an Xbox One game in 5 years because it's not an Xbox One.  :whee:

#4654 ChunLiBarbie   Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

ChunLiBarbie

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

This race to see how each company is going to get customers in such different ways is exciting to me. I'm going to laugh if people are going to avoid the PS4 because it doesn't play CD's and MP3's

And I'm finding out about this now?!

This bundle seals it for me and made my day. So NES came with a Mario game, SNES comes with a Mario game, and now a Nintendo console with TWO Mario games and the ability to play all [most of] those past Mario games on consoles I use to play them on?  For me, getting the Wii U would be like coming home from a 10 year trip in another country (in my case, Sony Land). Now I can move to Nintendo Land :p. I haven't been this excited since I heard Mega Man will be in the next Smash Bros. game.

I didn't like the "Wii" name but I don't mind Wii U (although it sounds like the noise of a police siren). Wii implies you need 2 or more players to use it whereas Wii U sounds more ... established? 

Yeah! It's gonna be exciting playing all kinds of games on the gamepad! :D/ Wii U's going to be my main console when I get it! 

Wiiiiiii would like to playyy!!!!!!! :D

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#4655 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2428 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

True and I'm not even saying that Apple is trying to buy them, I'm saying that Apple SHOULD buy them because it would be good for Apple and probably good for Nintendo as well.  If Apple (or someone else) came to them with an offer, they would at least have to consider it and bring it up to the board.  I mean if it was an absurdly high offer I do think they would take it.

There's far more to consider when proposing purchasing a company than just the intellectual properties that the company owns. The only reason why ANYONE ever proposed that Apple buy Nintendo is because they want to see Nintendo games on Apple hardware. In their minds they just want their favorite games to run on their favorite hardware. While an idealistic sentiment, it doesn't come close to taking the realities of the situation into account.

Apple is neither large enough or wealthy enough to purchase Nintendo in their current form. Disney would probably be wealthy enough, but Apple isn't even close. A lot of times companies get sold because the owners are looking to cash out, or the company has fallen on hard times and can be had for much less than it's actually worth. These scenarios don't apply for Apple and Nintendo. Nintendo is operating from a position of strength, with lots of extra cash in the bank. Even with some of their current difficulties with the Wii U, their company itself is quite healthy. And the current owners of Nintendo are very unlikely to want to sell. And they certainly wouldn't want to sell Nintendo to a foreign company.

That brings us to another difficulty. Most companies aren't courted by potential purchasers with wildly different corporate culture unless those purchasers fully intend to dismantle their new acquisition. Apple and Nintendo have very different corporate cultures. The two companies probably wouldn't work very well together. If Apple purchased Nintendo, they would probably end up dismantling the company and ruining everything that had made Nintendo great.

#4656 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

That brings us to another difficulty. Most companies aren't courted by potential purchasers with wildly different corporate culture unless those purchasers fully intend to dismantle their new acquisition. Apple and Nintendo have very different corporate cultures. The two companies probably wouldn't work very well together. If Apple purchased Nintendo, they would probably end up dismantling the company and ruining everything that had made Nintendo great.

I'm glad you said this first, because I was thinking the same exact thing when Blaster man first introduced the idea that Apple buys out Nintendo.  Apple products and Nintendo products are so much different even from a simple consumer standpoint (Apple is considered upper echelon while Nintendo is family friendly and usually cheaper than the competition).

I would hate if Apple Elite-ified the Nintendo brand to a status symbol, as they have always been the accessible option for gaming.  So in a word: No.

Not that any of this would actually happen outside of Fairytale land, just assuming if it did.

#4657 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

There's far more to consider when proposing purchasing a company than just the intellectual properties that the company owns. The only reason why ANYONE ever proposed that Apple buy Nintendo is because they want to see Nintendo games on Apple hardware. In their minds they just want their favorite games to run on their favorite hardware. While an idealistic sentiment, it doesn't come close to taking the realities of the situation into account.

Apple is neither large enough or wealthy enough to purchase Nintendo in their current form. Disney would probably be wealthy enough, but Apple isn't even close. A lot of times companies get sold because the owners are looking to cash out, or the company has fallen on hard times and can be had for much less than it's actually worth. These scenarios don't apply for Apple and Nintendo. Nintendo is operating from a position of strength, with lots of extra cash in the bank. Even with some of their current difficulties with the Wii U, their company itself is quite healthy. And the current owners of Nintendo are very unlikely to want to sell. And they certainly wouldn't want to sell Nintendo to a foreign company.

From time to time I notice people saying things about Apple's ability to purchase another company.  Apple has ALL the money.  I want Apple to buy Nintendo because I think that would drive additional revenue and increase my stock's price.  Playing their games on iPhone would also be nice.

Nintendo's marketcap is 14.39 billion.  If Apple gave them a 100% premium, which would be highly unusual, that would be just under 30 billion dollars.  Apple has about 150 billion dollars in cash overseas sitting around being unproductive.  Apple gains another 50 billion dollars a year in cash that isn't used (known as free cash flow). 

Apple is in the enviable position of not knowing what to do with it's money to the point where an activist investor (Carl Icahn) bought billions of dollars of shares (equal to 5% of the float) a few months ago and is trying to get Apple to do some really stupid moves to enrich himself.  Buying Nintendo would be much wiser than this:

http://www.forbes.co...ck-immediately/

Disney has nowhere near this amount of cash.  It's absurd to suggest as such.

http://blogs.wsj.com...te-cash-moodys/

I'm glad you said this first, because I was thinking the same exact thing when Blaster man first introduced the idea that Apple buys out Nintendo.  Apple products and Nintendo products are so much different even from a simple consumer standpoint (Apple is considered upper echelon while Nintendo is family friendly and usually cheaper than the competition).

I would hate if Apple Elite-ified the Nintendo brand to a status symbol, as they have always been the accessible option for gaming.  So in a word: No.

Not that any of this would actually happen outside of Fairytale land, just assuming if it did.

I understand that some people hate Apple for some reason but I'm sure plenty more people would be happy and Apple's market is much larger than Nintendo.  They could sell a lot more games and make many more games since risk would be much smaller with such a massive install base.

#4658 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9694 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

Question:

I know it was mentioned in this thread (or the one about the bundle) but the Wii U that comes with NSBMU and Luigi U, are those games on discs or downloads?

#4659 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

Question:

I know it was mentioned in this thread (or the one about the bundle) but the Wii U that comes with NSBMU and Luigi U, are those games on discs or downloads?

http://www.gamespot....i/1100-6415733/

Nintendo today announced an all-new Wii U bundle that will include copies of New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U on one disc for $300.

#4660 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

I understand that some people hate Apple for some reason but I'm sure plenty more people would be happy and Apple's market is much larger than Nintendo.  They could sell a lot more games and make many more games since risk would be much smaller with such a massive install base.

For the record I have no beef with Apple (I'm typing this on a Mac), I just don't think they would be a good match for Nintendo products.  When was the last time you saw a discount or entry level Apple hardware product that appealed to the masses?  Nintendo seems to market one of those every year at least.

Apple seems content to produce status symbol electronics, something that should not be applied to video games IMO.

#4661 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4235 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

Blaster Man is like those blowhards on CNBC or the stock guys spreading rumors to help his stocks... he's been bad-mouthing Nintendo for almost a year, hoping to create enough angst and then he can profit by Apple buying them up... Classic.

Apple products are loved in Japan, but Nintendo is loved even more. I don't see that happening.

#4662 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

Blaster Man is like those blowhards on CNBC or the stock guys spreading rumors to help his stocks... he's been bad-mouthing Nintendo for almost a year, hoping to create enough angst and then he can profit by Apple buying them up... Classic.

Apple products are loved in Japan, but Nintendo is loved even more. I don't see that happening.

Okay this one had me laughing! You can't be serious.

#4663 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:42 AM

I picked up one each of the Mario and Luigi Wiimotes today. They're pretty slick looking.

pitfall_harry219.png

#4664 KingBroly   CAG Club Nintendo CAGiversary!   15248 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

KingBroly

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

It's REALLY hard for corporate takeovers in Japan.  It's almost impossible.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#4665 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4235 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Yes, King, that all is part of the reason why I said I don't see that happening... Nintendo would have to agree. I don't think their corporate culture or the public would let them do that unless it was perhaps a dire rescue situation... which it's not and likely never will be.

#4666 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4892 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

Quick question, purchased a refurbished WiiU, is there an easy way to see if there was any previously downloaded titles?

#4667 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Quick question, purchased a refurbished WiiU, is there an easy way to see if there was any previously downloaded titles?

Uh...if Nintendo refurbished this then they would have transferred the licenses to the new console already.

#4668 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4892 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

It was from Gamestop. And I noticed that the video apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc) showed redownload/already purchased. So is there an answer to my actual question?

#4669 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

Since that stuff is tied to the system, anything already downloaded can be re-downloaded. Yes, including games.

Not sure about Netflix, Hulu, or anything with a subscription, though.

Somebody please kill me.

#4670 MetalSlugger   :P CAGiversary!   2727 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

MetalSlugger

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Pretty sure you have to be logged in with the original account to redownload paid software.

EDIT: Wow, totally wrong. I was able to redownload my purchases with my wife's account. Cool beans.

#4671 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4892 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Since that stuff is tied to the system, anything already downloaded can be re-downloaded. Yes, including games.

Not sure about Netflix, Hulu, or anything with a subscription, though.

Right, I was looking for an easy way to see if there were any previous downloads. I don't think there are, but it'd be nice to be sure.

#4672 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   65662 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

eShop > My Menu > Your Downloads

13th Annual CAG March Madness Tourney Signups Now Live Until 3/16!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Podcasts: Day 0 Update & Let's Weekend | Latest Videos: Personal & SmashPad

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki | My Super Mario Maker Profile

You read it. You can't unread it.

#4673 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

eShop > My Menu > Your Downloads

Curious, anything free jza?

#4674 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4892 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Ahh bummer, they only downloaded Hulu, Youtube, Amazon and Netflix. Oh well, thanks for the help.

#4675 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4892 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

On the upside, they never registered it with Club Nintendo, so I'll at least get the 160 coins.

#4676 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:33 AM

On the upside, they never registered it with Club Nintendo, so I'll at least get the 160 coins.

Not bad, I got my kid a DSi off craigslist a couple years ago and the people left a bunch of games on it, $1 credit, and hadn't registered it. Their kid was getting a 3ds so they must not have known about the ability to transfer.

#4677 renique46   CAGiversary! Silenced   2692 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

renique46

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:24 AM

You know shit is slow these days when the discussion is about Apple attempting a damn buyout.

#4678 NJMane  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

I am on the fence about getting a Wii U and could use some input. The new Mario/Luigi Bundle has me tempted to make the plunge but the bleak outlook for Wii U has me a bit hesitant (600,000 global sales in a 6 month period is terrible). I have all the other major systems and have the PS4 and Xbone preordered. In general, I only ever play first party titles on Nintendo consoles.

For those who own the Wii U and current gen consoles, how often do you find yourself playing the Wii U? Are you happy with the flow of games for the system (especially first party)? Do you find the multiplatform games to be any better on the Wii U over the other consoles? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

PSN/Xbox Live: NJMane 

#4679 renique46   CAGiversary! Silenced   2692 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

renique46

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

Its the same ol song and dance, how much do you care about Nintendo 1st party is all you need to answer your question.

#4680 io   ... Super Moderators   24573 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

NJMane - Pikmin 3 is incredible (I beat it). Super Mario 3D World looks to be incredible (I played it at PAX). Throw in the two NSMB games in that bundle, maybe Zelda, and whatever else Nintendo has coming next year (Smash Bros., Kart, etc) and I think that alone justifies the purchase. Anything beyond that is gravy - but that's just my opinion.