Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='TheLongshot']
I just wish while we were waiting that Nintendo would do more for the console that they do have out there.[/QUOTE]

They shouldn't have held Pikmin 3 for the WiiU. It would be a great late generation Wii title, but not a great WiiU launch title. It's just a genre of game that is not going to draw people in.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']No, we don't know if they're going to have a unified account system or not. It's that simple. What has been implied is that they won't run online matchmaking/servers, I.E. it'll be the PSN approach, where developers front the cash for multiplayer servers.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like they will be even less involved than that from this interview. Of course, you're right, there's a lot of reading between the lines here, but when asked about online plans Reggie answers with "we need to do more online, starting with the launch of our eShop on Nintendo 3DS" it doesn't give me hope for much. That says to me that online to them is only a way to distribute more product, not services. On the flipside, 18 months out, they could have zero online plans at the time and he was just dodging the question.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd agree with that, but I'd say that it'd since the SNES era, not the NES era. SNES had a lot of great 3rd party games.

Screwing up their partnership with Sony for a disc-based console and going with carts for the N64 was the beginning of their down fall. From then on they've made decisions that make it harder for developers to port games over to their consoles.

And they've just not kept up with the industry and kept focus on kids and families when shooters, WRPGs etc. have became the dominant selling genres as people like me who grew up on Nintendo grew up and moved on to those kind of genres.

Of course I'm not saying they should scrap their franchises etc., just that they failed to also make new franchises to compete with CoD, Halo etc. to keep adult gamers really interested in their platform, while also keeping Mario et al. around for the kids and for nostalgic purchases by older gamers like myself.[/QUOTE]

The main reason I said that is because NES games were still coming out hot and heavy AFTER the SNES was released, and the SNES swan song was Yoshi's Island in 1996 (the SNES had some really great 1st party titles released in the last few years, but few and far between) but at that point 3rd party development all but froze up as everyone was looking at the Sega CD, Saturn, 3DO, Jaguar, and that new fangled PS1 from Sony, while Nintendo said no CD's and dragged their feet to get their new platform released. Which is why ardent supporters of theirs (like Squaresoft, abandoned Nintendo and didn't look back).

I'd say only slightly more developers supported the SNES over the Genesis based on what I remember, but also that 3rd party support was strong for the SNES int he initial years then tapered off (sound familiar) as time when on.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It certainly looks like that is the case.

At this point I'll be shocked if it's not a repeat of the Wii and GC. A handful of great Nintendo Franchise games and another handful of good third party games outside of main genre's like FPS/WRPG.

Just a shame as a former die hard Nintendo fan to have lost so much interest in their console and really have had no use for their machines for the past 3 generations beyond nostalgic experiences with their big franchises. When back in the day the NES and SNES were where the majority of the great games were. :([/QUOTE]

But you know the thing is during the GC era they tried, they really did, they had a system on equal footing as the competitors (it was almost as powerful as the Xbox 1) and had considerable multiplatform support from developers only problem is very few 3rd party exclusives and no one seemed to care since if they could play the same game on their PS2 or Xbox (with a nicer controller) why buy it on the GC?

I think their learning they can't live off of casuals alone (which is where they flourished in the first few years until everyone owned a Wii, then system and software sales started to suffer and they wondered why), but their response to this stinks mostly clambering for an answer and a quick fix instead of doing what needs to be done which is a complete overhaul of everything from the system, online infrastructure, and give people what they want, period.

Thing is they aren't doing that now, and I don't see it happening 12 months from now either...

It is why I shake my head when someone says that "Nintendo needs their answer to Halo or CoD." No, because that isn't what Nintendo does or is about. Not to mention that there are enough of those type of games out there that Nintendo would look like an also-ran. I would like to see more unique content from Nintendo, rather than mostly leaning on past franchises, but I'm not looking for them to ape what the other guys do.[/QUOTE]

What I've always rallied is that they don't need their Halo or CoD, but they need to create some new franchises, Pikmin wasn't the instant hit they hoped for from Miyamoto (like most older creators he might be beyond his creative peak, see Sakaguchi and what he's done at Mistwalker) and what little creativity that the newer creators bring to the table they stymie (see Kirby's Epic Yarn) or use the same formula over and over without adding anything new to the table (the same Pokemon game year in and out instead of a motion controlled Pokemon that everyone would buy in droves) They just don't take risks with software anymore and that is the most damning thing to their longevity, without that innovation they are renowned for, we'll see super polished games like Skyward Sword that are at their core the same game we've seen since 1997 with OoT.

[quote name='rlse9']I don't get why they're so quick to jump ship. I can somewhat understand it if the console was a failure but with the success of the Wii, why bail so soon?

Also, is it just me or has this not been a problem on the handheld side? It seems to me like the DS has gotten good support through the release of the 3DS and while I didn't own a GBA it seemed like it had solid support through the release of the DS.[/QUOTE]

They are realizing they fucked up, plain and simple, problem is they're scrambling to make up for their errors, but that isn't the answer, and I don't honestly know if they know what the answer is, other than taking what they know and grasping at new ideas and hope they work or not (see Wii Fit balance board, heart rate meter, and other gimmicks they promoted during the Wii)

The handhelds haven't had any major competition from anyone, Sega's Gamegear was too expensive (ditto for NEC's Turbo Express) during the GB era, SNK challenged them during the GBA days, but had to bow out because of money issues, then Sony took up the cause, and other than in JPN with the PSP, didn't even dent the DS, with the 3DS lacking software Sony has a chance to strike a hard blow with the Vita, however if they over price it, then Nintendo will slowly pick up steam as their big guns get released and the 3DS might recover and place them back into a position of dominance in the handheld arena, they aren't easy to beat being the king of the hill for so many years.

And with no major competition the developers had no real choice but to develop for Nintendo since they were essentially the only real choice in town if you wanted a piece of the handheld pie. So they equaled unrivaled 3rd party support for their handheld systems.

Why do they bail, if I knew after all of these years, I'd tell you, I really don't know why they just walk away and hope people follow them to their next system, kind of silly way of doing things if you ask me...

[quote name='Corvin']They shouldn't have held Pikmin 3 for the WiiU. It would be a great late generation Wii title, but not a great WiiU launch title. It's just a genre of game that is going to draw people in.[/QUOTE]

They shouldn't have held many games from one system to another (as I've pointed out in this thread, yet they continue to do so again and again) to help support the new platform with ready to go software and leave the old system to die unloved. Otherwise we'd have saw Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Earth Seeker and other big name titles even NoE can see will sell large amounts being released and still supported all the way up to the WiiU's launch and through it.

What I don't understand, is NoA's unbridled emnity with the US market in the last 15 years. Both NCL and NoE treat their fans many times better than NoA does (look at software support and their Club Nintendo offerings if you don't believe me), but NoA doesn't seem to care it's like the US is a red headed step child that gets the left overs and only when they can be bothered, makes no sense really, which is really sad, ya know. :cry:

[quote name='rlse9']I don't get why they're so quick to jump ship. I can somewhat understand it if the console was a failure but with the success of the Wii, why bail so soon?

Also, is it just me or has this not been a problem on the handheld side? It seems to me like the DS has gotten good support through the release of the 3DS and while I didn't own a GBA it seemed like it had solid support through the release of the DS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah there are as many games coming out for the DS as 3DS, at least here in the US. There were new kirby and layton DS games out this fall and the 3DS has been available a good 8 months.

Okay so I have some real questions about the viability of the Wii U to run "hardcore" ports. My doubt about this ability is the same reason I would even consider buying this console. It will use the current generation Wii Motion Plus controller as it's main controller (as stated in last year's E3). Now that's a great thing for those of us that already own a Wii, who ever heard of a console using a previous generation's controllers/accessories. Consoles makes make a lot of money selling that shit and we spend a lot of cash. This means if they sell a really cheap Wii U that has nothing but the console and the "tablet" controller for less that a lot of us can pull the Wii out of it's spot in the entertainment center, replace it with the Wii U, synch our existing stuff with it and we're good to go. That's a great deal, as long as we can get the Wii upgrade console at a reasonable price. This is also the reason I question it's ability to port current generation games from the other two consoles. Those consoles have controller with buttons that are simply not present on the WiiMote. How will we do a proper shooter with only the nunchuck having an analogue stick and there would be a bunch of shoulder buttons missing that are needed to shoot....

[quote name='dmaul1114']Presumably the tablet controller will have a bunch of buttons and would be used for ports.[/QUOTE]

It would be pretty thick if it has shoulder buttons. I would definitely have to wonder how comfortable it would be to hold a large tablet as your controller for extended periods.

I am more concerned with how long the tablet's battery will last, there better be a way to tether it to the console with a very long cord so you can plug it in when the battery is low and keep playing. Nintendo hasn't done very well with battery life on the 3DS. If battery life is low people will just plug the tablet into the console and use it as a wired controller all the time, defeating the purpose of being able to move it around.

I don't see the point of buying games that have already been released on other systems on the Wii U. Xbox 360 games are already down in price and the Wii U versions will be released at full price so why should I pay more for a game that is cheaper on another system? Moreover why should consumers buy the same game they have already played on the other system. The cost of games must also be considered, Xbox games drop very quickly in price, while Wii games take significantly longer to drop in price. I expect that to be the same with the Wii U. I can't imagine the Wii U version being so great that it would warrant another $60 purchase when the consumer has already played the same game on the Xbox 360.

I don't think they will be able to convince the moms and grandparents to buy the Wii U again, they already have the Wii and they are most likely satisfied with their purchase and probably don't want another one. If they weren't satisfied with their purchase then Nintendo will have no luck trying to get them to buy another one of their products. The casuals will buy whatever is hot in the electronics marketplace, so they have probably already moved on from the Wii and have moved onto something else. A lot of people bought the Wii just on the premise that it was hard to find and something hot to have. I don't think Nintendo will be able to repeat that again. The casuals are now satisfied with their smartphones that everyone has and facebook games for the amount of gaming that they do.

That's the first time I've seen anyone bring up the subject of the battery life of the tablet. I'm guessing that it won't be an issue since the Wii U will be handling all of the processing and the tablet will just be handling displaying the image and sending the input back to the Wii U but it would be a definite issue if it doesn't have adequate battery life.

Do Wii games really drop in price lower than other systems? Or is it just 1st party games that drop in price a lot slower? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like most multi-platform games (the new Rayman game and Tiger Woods 12 come to mind as recent examples) drop as quickly on the Wii as other systems.

I agree about the casual market, I can't see them catching lightning in a bottle again and the tablet controller doesn't seem like the hook that motion controls were. For the core gamers, I have a feeling they're putting themselves in the Dreamcast situation by releasing so far ahead of the others that they're going to be underpowered and most gamers are going to wait and see what the new Microsoft and Sony consoles offer, especially if Wii U isn't that far head of the current consoles technologically.

[quote name='Blaster man']Okay so I have some real questions about the viability of the Wii U to run "hardcore" ports. My doubt about this ability is the same reason I would even consider buying this console. It will use the current generation Wii Motion Plus controller as it's main controller (as stated in last year's E3). Now that's a great thing for those of us that already own a Wii, who ever heard of a console using a previous generation's controllers/accessories. Consoles makes make a lot of money selling that shit and we spend a lot of cash. This means if they sell a really cheap Wii U that has nothing but the console and the "tablet" controller for less that a lot of us can pull the Wii out of it's spot in the entertainment center, replace it with the Wii U, synch our existing stuff with it and we're good to go. That's a great deal, as long as we can get the Wii upgrade console at a reasonable price. This is also the reason I question it's ability to port current generation games from the other two consoles. Those consoles have controller with buttons that are simply not present on the WiiMote. How will we do a proper shooter with only the nunchuck having an analogue stick and there would be a bunch of shoulder buttons missing that are needed to shoot....[/QUOTE]

We've been using the same Playstation controller since 1997.

[quote name='Blaster man']It would be pretty thick if it has shoulder buttons. I would definitely have to wonder how comfortable it would be to hold a large tablet as your controller for extended periods.[/QUOTE]

Thats my main worry with it, and the battery life potential worry noted by Sara.

As Ive said before, I'm not optimistic the Wii U will end up being any better for core gamers than the Wii was. Those of us who haven't been big on the Wii ths gen should probably just steer clear and leave it for those who still enjoy what Nintendo puts out.

[quote name='Droogs']We've been using the same Playstation controller since 1997.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize the ps1 and ps2 controllers hooked up to the ps3 via usb and worked. Would flowers motion control work with a ps1 controller? Obviously I'm being sarcastic since you are clearly being a dick. The wii u literally uses the wii's controllers.

[quote name='Blaster man']I didn't realize the ps1 and ps2 controllers hooked up to the ps3 via usb and worked. Would flowers motion control work with a ps1 controller? Obviously I'm being sarcastic since you are clearly being a dick. The wii u literally uses the wii's controllers.[/QUOTE]

And if Bluetooth had existed when the PS2 was created, there would be no difference between the controls for the PS2 and the PS3. In fact, controls that use the USB port work on both the PS2 and PS3.

Most people play games for a long period of time at a time so I can't see someone going through a 40 hour + Zelda game if the controller is going to die in 3 hours. This could seriously hamper gameplay. Also how will the battery be replaced when the unit dies? Is the battery changeable by the user? This tablet is apparently not going to be sold separately so its not like you can run out and buy another one when the battery dies. The console is as good as dead if you can't play for a long time on a single charge and the tablet battery cannot be replaced by the user.

I assume games will require the tablet controller, otherwise its just another Wii to me, perhaps a bit more powerful but I can't see Nintendo changing their position on how often they release games and how many games get canned or cancelled. We still don't have Kid Icarus for the 3DS and some have been waiting a very long time for that game. Glad I decided to get the Xbox 360, because I am definitely not stuck waiting for the latest game to come out anymore (especially when you are stuck waiting 2 years for a promised game) as I have hundreds of unplayed games for the system.

I also want to know how to charge this thing, ideally it should be able to be charged by standard USB but if its like apple (iPod's at least) it won't come with the wall charger and you will have to charge only through the console. Again hopefully the charging cord is long enough so you can charge while playing (which is something I really can't see them leaving out but you never know). Being able to plug this into any wall outlet without having to buy an additional Nintendo overpriced charger would be a huge plus and would mean you could move it around your house without having to worry about the battery dying.

As always this purchase will have to wait for me, I have been impressed with the Xbox 360 that I just bought, arguably at the end of its lifecycle, so I can't see myself getting another console at the beginning of its lifecycle ever again. If anything I will wait till this thing is dirt cheap to buy it, I don't care if I have to wait 5 years because I have hundreds of other games to play in the meantime that are already out so I am not waiting for the latest game to come out just so I can have something to play on my shiny new system. I am also probably getting a PS3 next year.

[quote name='TheLongshot']And if Bluetooth had existed when the PS2 was created, there would be no difference between the controls for the PS2 and the PS3. In fact, controls that use the USB port work on both the PS2 and PS3.[/QUOTE]

Really? I could have sworn that the game "Flower" (as I mentioned above) requires Sixaxis motion control which is not included in the PS2 Dual Shock controller. Or are you suggesting that Sixaxis controls were indeed included in the PS2 controller? I'm also pretty sure that the PS2 controller didn't have a PS button.

I say again, it's not at all normal for a console manufacturer to reuse the same controllers/accessories. I'm not sure why you guys are disagreeing with me, it's common knowledge to anyone that's been playing games for any length of time. The profit margins on accessories is enormous when compared to everything else.

So seriously, stop already. The PS2 and PS3 controllers are different. The fact of the matter is that the Wii U doesn't require some kind of special adapter to use with the original Wii MotionPlus controllers. The Wii controllers aren't missing a button that is present on the Wii U controller. The Wii Motion Plus controller IS the Wii U controller. This is not the same as the PS2 to PS3. The Wii is the EXACT same controller. You can throw your Wii away and put a Wii U where the Wii was and everything will synch with it and work perfectly, no additional accessory purchases needed. I would love to see the PS4 use the PS3 controller but I'm sure they'll make some minor change to it.

What it boils down to is this: Will the PS2 controller play all PS3 games? NO, it won't play sixaxis necessary games. This means that it is not true that there is "no difference" between the two as you stated above. Surely you people know they're different? Why the fuck are you claiming they're the exact same thing?

[quote name='Blaster man']I didn't realize the ps1 and ps2 controllers hooked up to the ps3 via usb and worked. Would flowers motion control work with a ps1 controller? Obviously I'm being sarcastic since you are clearly being a dick. The wii u literally uses the wii's controllers.[/QUOTE]

I really wasn't trying to be a dick. I guess I meant more from ps1 to ps2. The dual shock was exactly the same from what I remember and could be used on both systems.

[quote name='Droogs']I really wasn't trying to be a dick. I guess I meant more from ps1 to ps2. The dual shock was exactly the same from what I remember and could be used on both systems.[/QUOTE]

Alright sorry I called you a dick then.

[quote name='Blaster man']Really? I could have sworn that the game "Flower" (as I mentioned above) requires Sixaxis motion control which is not included in the PS2 Dual Shock controller. Or are you suggesting that Sixaxis controls were indeed included in the PS2 controller? I'm also pretty sure that the PS2 controller didn't have a PS button.[/quote]

You are right that I forgot about Sixaxis, probably because very few game developers use it. (The only other game I remember that uses it is Heavenly Sword) The PS button is mostly an artifact of it being a Bluetooth controller, but it really doesn't have any game functionality.

I say again, it's not at all normal for a console manufacturer to reuse the same controllers/accessories. I'm not sure why you guys are disagreeing with me, it's common knowledge to anyone that's been playing games for any length of time. The profit margins on accessories is enormous when compared to everything else.

It is going to be interesting to see if controllers going the Bluetooth route will change this somewhat. While I expect that manufacturers will release new revisions of controllers with improvements, it seems the basic layouts for both Playstation and Xbox has pretty much standardized. While you point out that there are some differences between the PS2 and PS3 controller, they are not big differences that would force one to learn a new controller.

So seriously, stop already. The PS2 and PS3 controllers are different. The fact of the matter is that the Wii U doesn't require some kind of special adapter to use with the original Wii MotionPlus controllers. The Wii controllers aren't missing a button that is present on the Wii U controller. The Wii Motion Plus controller IS the Wii U controller. This is not the same as the PS2 to PS3. The Wii is the EXACT same controller. You can throw your Wii away and put a Wii U where the Wii was and everything will synch with it and work perfectly, no additional accessory purchases needed. I would love to see the PS4 use the PS3 controller but I'm sure they'll make some minor change to it.

Nothing rules out that Nintendo won't make minor changes to the Motion Plus controller either. Hell, they could give us a Nunchuk with more buttons. The only thing they are guaranteeing is that you can use the current Motion Plus to play Wii games on the WiiU.

What it boils down to is this: Will the PS2 controller play all PS3 games? NO, it won't play sixaxis necessary games. This means that it is not true that there is "no difference" between the two as you stated above. Surely you people know they're different? Why the fuck are you claiming they're the exact same thing?

For the majority of the games on the PS3, the controller is functionally equivilant to the PS2 controller. Few games use the sixaxis capability of the controller.

I agree with most of that. The reason I'm saying that Nintendo will use the same controller is because that's what they said at last year's E3. They may change their minds of course. Personally, I hope Sony gets away from Bluetooth controllers. I think it's a useless feature that is actually less convenient. For example, I put the controller on the back of the couch, it falls down behind a cushion and I forget about it. Later on we're watching TV and someone sits back and the controller turns on the PS3 through the cushions. Now I can't easily turn it off without getting up and turning it off manually or changing to the A/V setting that the PS3 is on and walking through the dialogue boxes to shut it down. Bluetooth is a pain in the ass and adds no actual functionality to the console IMO.

As far as Sixaxis control, Folklore implemented it fairly well. There's also a rubber ducky PSN game that I can think of off the top of my mind.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Thats my main worry with it, and the battery life potential worry noted by Sara.

As Ive said before, I'm not optimistic the Wii U will end up being any better for core gamers than the Wii was. Those of us who haven't been big on the Wii ths gen should probably just steer clear and leave it for those who still enjoy what Nintendo puts out.[/QUOTE]

If by "Core Gamers" you mean fans of online playing such as XBL with a single userID for all games, DLC, or actively wanting game patches...

I'm not to likely to think Nintendo will come through this time either, but the MK7 framework tends to indicate they have the pieces for such a system.

In terms of games portability Nintendo looks to be going out of their way to make porting friendly/easy so to big titles should start to be day one releases in parity with the other systems.

If, and it is a BIG IF, Nintendo gets the online playing portion right, they could be even more dangerous than this past generation as Sport Game fans have funds to spend and will spend freely, yearly, to get what they perceive as the best version of their particular game.

[quote name='Blaster man']Really? I could have sworn that the game "Flower" (as I mentioned above) requires Sixaxis motion control which is not included in the PS2 Dual Shock controller. Or are you suggesting that Sixaxis controls were indeed included in the PS2 controller? I'm also pretty sure that the PS2 controller didn't have a PS button.

What it boils down to is this: Will the PS2 controller play all PS3 games? NO, it won't play sixaxis necessary games. This means that it is not true that there is "no difference" between the two as you stated above. Surely you people know they're different? Why the fuck are you claiming they're the exact same thing?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know your content will not transfer from Wii to Wii U so if you want to keep your virtual console games and other downloaded games you will have to keep your Wii. Or am I not correct on that? Maybe they will create some way to transfer the content. So you won't just be able to put a Wii U in the Wii's place and have it function exactly the same as the Wii since you will lose your downloaded games.

[quote name='foltzie']If, and it is a BIG IF, Nintendo gets the online playing portion right, they could be even more dangerous than this past generation as Sport Game fans have funds to spend and will spend freely, yearly, to get what they perceive as the best version of their particular game.[/QUOTE]

Considering that EA has been working rather closely with Nintendo, particularly with the online aspect, there may be a lot of truth to this.

[quote name='SaraAB']As far as I know your content will not transfer from Wii to Wii U so if you want to keep your virtual console games and other downloaded games you will have to keep your Wii. Or am I not correct on that? Maybe they will create some way to transfer the content. So you won't just be able to put a Wii U in the Wii's place and have it function exactly the same as the Wii since you will lose your downloaded games.[/QUOTE]

Based on the transfer system in place for the 3DS, I would expect a similar situation for the Wii U.

[quote name='theflicker']Based on the transfer system in place for the 3DS, I would expect a similar situation for the Wii U.[/QUOTE]

This. Nothing has been announced but it's likely they'll give you some avenue to transfer content though maybe not all but certainly that which was made by Nintendo.

User Accounts are happening.
So are VC/WW transfers to Wii U. (I imagine that some games won't transfer due to licensing issues, I.E. TMNT on NES)

Correcting the issue: You don't lose your VC/WW games if you send something in for repair. Or at the very least they give you the points so you can re-download everything.

Basically, Nintendo is doing what Sony should've done 5 years ago: Copy the ever living fuck out of Microsoft...and Steam. At least, that's what I've been led to believe.

[quote name='KingBroly']User Accounts are happening.
So are VC/WW transfers to Wii U. (I imagine that some games won't transfer due to licensing issues, I.E. TMNT on NES)

Correcting the issue: You don't lose your VC/WW games if you send something in for repair. Or at the very least they give you the points so you can re-download everything.

Basically, Nintendo is doing what Sony should've done 5 years ago: Copy the ever living fuck out of Microsoft...and Steam. At least, that's what I've been led to believe.[/QUOTE]

Do you have some inside knowledge? If Nintendo does what Microsoft does, that would be great.

[quote name='foltzie']If by "Core Gamers" you mean fans of online playing such as XBL with a single userID for all games, DLC, or actively wanting game patches...
[/QUOTE]

All these labels are fairly silly IMO, but they get used regularly.

When I see the core gamer term tossed around I take it to mean basically the average 360 or PS3 gamer who's been gaming for a long time, prefers traditional controls and traditional genres like FPS, platformers, fighting games, sports games etc. Online gaming, DLC etc. goes along with that, as well as wanting top of the line graphics and so on.

In other words, exactly the type of gamer Nintendo mostly ignored with the Wii by putting out a console with last gen graphics, motion controls with no packed in controller option suitable for PS3/360 ports, crappy online system, focus on casual games and rehashing their franchises etc.

I just don't see the Wii U doing a ton to change that. Nintendo's focus will always be more on families and kids than on older core gamers and their game libraries will always reflect that. I don't see the control option being much better and few people are going to want to play the latest shooter or fighter with that giant tablet controller.

Online may go to a more unified account, but they'll probably still keep stupid numbers rather than letting people pick their own screen names since they think that helps protect kids for whatever reason.

Graphics wise the Wii U will probably be on par with the 360 and PS3, maybe a tad past them. As we discussed earlier in the thread, the real key will be how far beyond that the next Xbox and Sony systems go. If they take a big step forward and make the Wii U seem outdated a year or two after launch, then the Wii U will definitely fail with core gamers.

A big graphical leap forward for PS4/720 would mean losses by the hardware manufacturer. While I'm sure Sony is up for that again, I doubt Microsoft is. I think Microsoft has reached a complacent level with 360 and I doubt they'll go all out for their next console unless they are really, really stupid and want to throw those big profits away.

[quote name='KingBroly']A big graphical leap forward for PS4/720 would mean losses by the hardware manufacturer. While I'm sure Sony is up for that again, I doubt Microsoft is. I think Microsoft has reached a complacent level with 360 and I doubt they'll go all out for their next console unless they are really, really stupid and want to throw those big profits away.[/QUOTE]

What about software developers? Can a big leap in power in the next gen systems go too high before it becomes overly costly for game studios? On one side I would think better graphics will lead to higher costs, but then they wouldn't have to focus on working around hardware limitations. Clearly I don't know much about the development process, but I do know making games is already getting more expensive.

[quote name='KingBroly']A big graphical leap forward for PS4/720 would mean losses by the hardware manufacturer. While I'm sure Sony is up for that again, I doubt Microsoft is. I think Microsoft has reached a complacent level with 360 and I doubt they'll go all out for their next console unless they are really, really stupid and want to throw those big profits away.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. PC games today on the top settings look a good deal better than PS3/360 games, and that will continue to advance by the time the 720/PS4 are out (I don't see them coming out before late 2013 at the earliest, and 2013 or 2014 probably more likely).

It wouldn't take a super pricey console to make that kind of graphics leap.

In any case, taking a nice step forward in graphics will be key. Cutting edge graphics are huge in selling consoles to the core market. People are going to get whatever console Call of Duty, Madden etc. look the best on among the Nintendo, Sony and MS offering.

If only one of them goes with a big leap forward, then that's who'll win the console sales war next generation. So I'd be shocked if only Sony took a loss and put out a very powerful console as MS would be giving away the market share lead the won this generation. Most of the money is made selling software and accessories, so they can afford to take some losses the first few years on hardware.

And in general, a big step forward is really necessary to get people to buy. Who's going to want to shell out money for a new console if games look mostly the same as on their current consoles? That was a big part of why the Wii didn't appeal to core gamers--they weren't into motion controls and casual games, so why buy a console with games that looked pretty much the same as Gamecube games? Graphics advances are a big part of selling a new console to the core, so I don't think we'll see a PS4/Xbox 720 until they can make a nice leap forward and do so without taking too much of a loss per unit--hence why I think 2013-2014 is a likely launch frame.

In any case, all this discussion about the core and Nintendo is really moot. There's just not much of anything Nintendo can do to get the "core" back as the core views Nintendo as for kids and soccer moms so they're never going to buy a Nintendo console and play Call of Duty, Madden etc. on there instead of the PS/Xbox.

The best Nintendo can do is do a better job with their franchises and new IPs and get more gamers to pick up a Wii U as a 2nd console and hopefully thus get their software attach rate up next gen. If the Wii U software lineup isn't any better than the Wii's, next generation will be the first generation since I started gaming seriously (NES) that I don't own a Nintendo console.

[quote name='omster']What about software developers? Can a big leap in power in the next gen systems go too high before it becomes overly costly for game studios? On one side I would think better graphics will lead to higher costs, but then they wouldn't have to focus on working around hardware limitations. Clearly I don't know much about the development process, but I do know making games is already getting more expensive.[/QUOTE]

I think the move to HD was the main thing that drove costs up. As well as needing to hire voice actors and all that kind of stuff.

So I wouldn't expect to see development costs go up with another leap in graphics as it would just be having better textures, draw distances etc. from having more power to work with.

Maybe if more games are coming out in 3D that may drive costs up some I suppose. But other than that, I wouldn't expect to see another big leap in development costs until there's new display technology out.

[quote name='omster']What about software developers? Can a big leap in power in the next gen systems go too high before it becomes overly costly for game studios? On one side I would think better graphics will lead to higher costs, but then they wouldn't have to focus on working around hardware limitations. Clearly I don't know much about the development process, but I do know making games is already getting more expensive.[/QUOTE]

I think the move to HD was the main thing that drove costs up. As well as needing to hire voice actors and all that kind of stuff.

So I wouldn't expect to see development costs go up with another leap in graphics as it would just be having better textures, draw distances etc. from having more power to work with.

Maybe if more games are coming out in 3D that may drive costs up some I suppose. But other than that, I wouldn't expect to see another big leap in development costs until there's new display technology out.

I really don't think that Sony can stomach the kind of losses it sustained with the PS3 launch.

"TOKYO—Stung by its long-struggling television business, Sony Corp. said Wednesday it swung to a quarterly net loss and now expects to lose more than $1 billion this fiscal year, its fourth straight year in the red."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203716204577013080123765996.html

[quote name='dmaul1114']All these labels are fairly silly IMO, but they get used regularly.

When I see the core gamer term tossed around I take it to mean basically the average 360 or PS3 gamer who's been gaming for a long time, prefers traditional controls and traditional genres like FPS, platformers, fighting games, sports games etc. Online gaming, DLC etc. goes along with that, as well as wanting top of the line graphics and so on.

In other words, exactly the type of gamer Nintendo mostly ignored with the Wii by putting out a console with last gen graphics, motion controls with no packed in controller option suitable for PS3/360 ports, crappy online system, focus on casual games and rehashing their franchises etc.

I just don't see the Wii U doing a ton to change that. Nintendo's focus will always be more on families and kids than on older core gamers and their game libraries will always reflect that. I don't see the control option being much better and few people are going to want to play the latest shooter or fighter with that giant tablet controller.

Online may go to a more unified account, but they'll probably still keep stupid numbers rather than letting people pick their own screen names since they think that helps protect kids for whatever reason.

Graphics wise the Wii U will probably be on par with the 360 and PS3, maybe a tad past them. As we discussed earlier in the thread, the real key will be how far beyond that the next Xbox and Sony systems go. If they take a big step forward and make the Wii U seem outdated a year or two after launch, then the Wii U will definitely fail with core gamers.[/QUOTE]

I would contend the WiiU Tablet looks like it would handle more traditional game controls without issue.

However, you are correct that the fundamental "go to market" problem remains. How to move the initial units to existing 360 and PS3 customers and keep them favoring the WiiU version of a title, including against the potential XB3/PS4. A good start would be a decent online platform as all of the gamers you mentioned really like playing online*.

We'll see.

*It is interesting to see Nintendo so far behind on this aspect. Previously Nintendo has been a trendsetter in distribution, ect. The Satellite systems and the flashable cartridges were ahead of the their time in Japan. I understand their currnet focus on party gaming, but one would think they need not be such singularly focused.

[quote name='Blaster man']I really don't think that Sony can stomach the kind of losses it sustained with the PS3 launch.
[/QUOTE]

They won't have to. They had such huge losses as they forced in Bluray right when it first came out and was still expensive as hell.

It won them the HD format war, but cost them their lead in the console war as the PS3 was just too pricey launching at $500-600 and them still losing a lot on each console.

They won't have anything like that to drive up costs this time, so they can launch a powerful console at $300-400 and not lose as much as they lost on each PS3 at launch probably.

[quote name='foltzie']I would contend the WiiU Tablet looks like it would handle more traditional game controls without issue.
[/QUOTE]

But who would want to play with that clunky behemoth of a controller, vs. a nice, ergonomically sound controller like the 360 controller?

I see that being a hard sale. The tablet controller just looks uncomfortable and unwieldy compared to a 360 controller or a dual shock controller. I can't see many people seeing that controller and saying "I'd rather play Modern Warefare 4 with that than my Xbox controller."

If Nintendo really wants to make a push for core gamers, they need to pack in a wireless, Wavebird like controller with every console so there's a standard controller that comes with every console that third party developers can program for as they know everyone has one. It won't work if it's sold separately like the Classic Controller Pro as people never develop much for peripheral accessories that not every console owner has.

[quote name='foltzie']*It is interesting to see Nintendo so far behind on this aspect. Previously Nintendo has been a trendsetter in distribution, ect. The Satellite systems and the flashable cartridges were ahead of the their time in Japan. I understand their currnet focus on party gaming, but one would think they need not be such singularly focused.[/QUOTE]

I think it is a combination of them not seeing it coming, and lots of focus on "party gaming" as you say. Personally, I get more out of group gaming with the people in the room rather than the rather detached online gaming. I've never quite embraced online gaming like others have.

[quote name='dmaul1114']But who would want to play with that clunky behemoth of a controller, vs. a nice, ergonomically sound controller like the 360 controller?

I see that being a hard sale. The tablet controller just looks uncomfortable and unwieldy compared to a 360 controller or a dual shock controller. I can't see many people seeing that controller and saying "I'd rather play Modern Warefare 4 with that than my Xbox controller."

If Nintendo really wants to make a push for core gamers, they need to pack in a wireless, Wavebird like controller with every console so there's a standard controller that comes with every console that third party developers can program for as they know everyone has one. It won't work if it's sold separately like the Classic Controller Pro as people never develop much for peripheral accessories that not every console owner has.[/QUOTE]

Then, where's the incentive to move on from another console, if all you are doing is mimicing the other consoles? I've already said that I don't think faster CPU/better graphics are going to be enough anymore.

Fact is, the controller is going to be a key in the success of the WiiU to find creative ways of using it for gameplay that you can't get with just a gamepad. I expect growing pains with it just like with the motion controls of the Wii.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They won't have to. They had such huge losses as they forced in Bluray right when it first came out and was still expensive as hell.

It won them the HD format war, but cost them their lead in the console war as the PS3 was just too pricey launching at $500-600 and them still losing a lot on each console.

They won't have anything like that to drive up costs this time, so they can launch a powerful console at $300-400 and not lose as much as they lost on each PS3 at launch probably.[/QUOTE]

if memory serves, the PS3 was estimated to cost them $1,000 to make but they sold it for $500-$600. So I have to wonder how much of that cost was blu ray and how much was the rest of the hardware like the cell processor? I'm sure there's some old iSupply news articles from back then that would provide those figures. I seem to remember reading that the diode needed for the laser was maybe $300? I can't remember for sure though.

I do agree that they won't be pushing a technological advancement of optical or processor technology. This next generation will be an evolution in technology and not a revolution. I'm kind of expecting to see a PS3.5 and an Xbox2.5 kind of like the Wii was just a GameCube1.5.

My prediction is that MS will have a more advance Kinect packed into all consoles and Sony will have a move controller and camera included.

On a side note, given Sony's poor showing in the TV market, I'm hoping they'll stop charging $3,500 for the same $2,000 tv that Samsung makes in the same factory. Sony just isn't competitive any longer. They haven't adjusted their prices to be in line with current rent supply and demand. Though I'm honestly most interested in LG because they have passive 3D instead of active shutter.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
But who would want to play with that clunky behemoth of a controller, vs. a nice, ergonomically sound controller like the 360 controller?

If Nintendo really wants to make a push for core gamers, they need to pack in a wireless, Wavebird like controller with every console so there's a standard controller that comes with every console that third party developers can program for as they know everyone has one. It won't work if it's sold separately like the Classic Controller Pro as people never develop much for peripheral accessories that not every console owner has.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I liked the Duke!

Until I get to try one I dont know if it are easy to hold or not, The e3 reviewers indicated they were OK to hold, but as the old PA indicated, that is should not necessarily be assume to be a universal truth.

Regarding packing in a Wavebird like controller, I agree, but I think that is a step too unlikely for them. I dont even think they are apt to pack in a CCPro... It's sell the tablet or bust.

[quote name='Blaster man']if memory serves, the PS3 was estimated to cost them $1,000 to make but they sold it for $500-$600. So I have to wonder how much of that cost was blu ray and how much was the rest of the hardware like the cell processor? I'm sure there's some old iSupply news articles from back then that would provide those figures. I seem to remember reading that the diode needed for the laser was maybe $300? I can't remember for sure though.

I do agree that they won't be pushing a technological advancement of optical or processor technology. This next generation will be an evolution in technology and not a revolution. I'm kind of expecting to see a PS3.5 and an Xbox2.5 kind of like the Wii was just a GameCube1.5.
[/QUOTE]

IIRC decent stand alone Bluray players were $500+ at the time the PS3 launched.

Again, I don't expect a PS 3.5 or Xbox 2.5 type advancement. It's been too long since these consoles launched for them to do a half-assed upgrade in 2013 or beyond and expect people to buy. I don't expect a gigantic leap by any means, but still a big improvement as games continue to move closer to photo realism.

[quote name='foltzie']
Regarding packing in a Wavebird like controller, I agree, but I think that is a step too unlikely for them. I dont even think they are apt to pack in a CCPro... It's sell the tablet or bust.[/QUOTE]

Yep. And it will most likely be bust again with core gamers IMO. The core gamer group already has a stigma against Nintendo, and launching with a "weird" controller again will just further that.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Again, I don't expect a PS 3.5 or Xbox 2.5 type advancement. It's been too long since these consoles launched for them to do a half-assed upgrade in 2013 or beyond and expect people to buy. I don't expect a gigantic leap by any means, but still a big improvement as games continue to move closer to photo realism.[/quote]

Well, given the time that has passed since the PS3 and 360 was developed, modest improvements probably can be done without breaking the bank. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo probably can't afford to take the hit in going big (not that they'd likely get good ROI on it anyways.)

Yep. And it will most likely be bust again with core gamers IMO. The core gamer group already has a stigma against Nintendo, and launching with a "weird" controller again will just further that.

Yet, many of those people embraced the Gamecube controller, which is still an odd bird. Personally, I like the Wii controller - Nunchuk combo even without motion controls.

[quote name='dmaul1114']IIRC decent stand alone Bluray players were $500+ at the time the PS3 launched.

Again, I don't expect a PS 3.5 or Xbox 2.5 type advancement. It's been too long since these consoles launched for them to do a half-assed upgrade in 2013 or beyond and expect people to buy. I don't expect a gigantic leap by any means, but still a big improvement as games continue to move closer to photo realism.[/QUOTE]

geez, I just don't know about that. Obviously there will bea bigadvancementamd they can still make money because of technological advancement. I guess what I mean by 3.5/2.5 is that they will be using current technology or maybe a little better than what PC's can do but they won't be pushing the envelope much. I would expect better graphics and all games to run at 60FPS in 1080P. That's it, I don't expect the graphics to completely blow me away when compared to what PC's can do right now. Better? Yes. Lots better? No.

Yet, many of those people embraced the Gamecube controller, which is still an odd bird. Personally, I like the Wii controller - Nunchuk combo even without motion controls.[/QUOTE]

The GC was still mostly a flop with core gamers. Nintendo hasn't really succeeded much with core gamers since the SNES. N64 got beat soundly by the PS1, GC was way behind the PS2 in sales.

But even being odd, the GC controller was still a pretty standard controller. Only major flaw as not having a standard second analog stick. The right stick was pretty crummy.

I'm not a fan of the Wiimote/nunchuck combo personally. Just doesn't work as well as standard controller IMO--especially for the genres I play like FPS (don't care for pointer aiming) and WRPGs. Just not enough buttons and really need two analog sticks or you end up having a crummy camera like in Skyward Sword since you don't have camera control.

[quote name='Blaster man']geez, I just don't know about that. Obviously there will bea bigadvancementamd they can still make money because of technological advancement. I guess what I mean by 3.5/2.5 is that they will be using current technology or maybe a little better than what PC's can do but they won't be pushing the envelope much. I would expect better graphics and all games to run at 60FPS in 1080P. That's it, I don't expect the graphics to completely blow me away when compared to what PC's can do right now. Better? Yes. Lots better? No.[/QUOTE]

We'll see. Huge mistake to launch before they can make a big improvement IMO. Games are still selling like hotcakes on the 360 and PS3, so it would be stupid of them to put out new hardware that they'll take a loss on if it doesn't really advance things.

They can just continue dragging out this generation now that they're making profits. Not like Nintendo is going to move the graphics envelop forward and put any pressure on them.

If they drag it out until 2013 or 2014 and still don't make a big step forward in graphics, then I may well just take a generation off from gaming if not quitting completely. I'm not going to drop $400 on a new console that's a marginal improvement over the 360 giving my current (and declining) interest in gaming in general.

[quote name='dmaul1114']We'll see. Huge mistake to launch before they can make a big improvement IMO. Games are still selling like hotcakes on the 360 and PS3, so it would be stupid of them to put out new hardware that they'll take a loss on if it doesn't really advance things.

They can just continue dragging out this generation now that they're making profits. Not like Nintendo is going to move the graphics envelop forward and put any pressure on them.

If they drag it out until 2013 or 2014 and still don't make a big step forward in graphics, then I may well just take a generation off from gaming if not quitting completely. I'm not going to drop $400 on a new console that's a marginal improvement over the 360 giving my current (and declining) interest in gaming in general.[/QUOTE]

Both companies took major losses at the start of this generation so I believe they are doing a sort of chicken game right now. Trying to see how long they can go without launching another console but they also don't want to launch a year after the other console. Everyone now knows that's a huge mistake.

I'll be getting another gaming console the next generation despite my declining interest as well. The difference is that I'm only getting one the next generation. This generation I have all three. More than likely it will be the Xbox 3 because I feel like the Xbox has a better controller for my hands. I feel like the Playstation controllers are just too small. Another thing, I'll be waiting until the second hardware revision is released the next generation. There's plenty of stuff in my backlog right now and no doubt there will be in the future.

I have noticed that I'm much less likely to put up with a game that I don't completely enjoy. I had never played any Gears of War game or any Halo game. I got the Gears triple pack and played Gears of War 1 and 2. Those were fun/good games. Then I tried Halo 3 and it just didn't seem fun. Now I'm going to sell Halo 3 without finishing it. I have too many games to play that interest me to screw around with that game. Another thing is that my backlog is a bit too large so I'm going to have to do something about it. I have games in it like MySims Sky Heros because I got it really cheap but I really don't have any interest in playing. I've stopped buying games because they are $5 or less.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm not a fan of the Wiimote/nunchuck combo personally. Just doesn't work as well as standard controller IMO--especially for the genres I play like FPS (don't care for pointer aiming) and WRPGs. Just not enough buttons and really need two analog sticks or you end up having a crummy camera like in Skyward Sword since you don't have camera control.[/QUOTE]

See, coming from PC gaming, I hate playing FPS with a gamepad. For me, Wii remote - nunchuk comes closer to mouse - keyboard that I'm used to. I also like that it isn't as cramped as a gamepad.

I understand the occasional need for a 2nd analog stick and more buttons, but I often find the 2nd analog stick to be a pain when I need to use it and press buttons.

[quote name='Blaster man']
I'll be getting another gaming console the next generation despite my declining interest as well. The difference is that I'm only getting one the next generation. This generation I have all three. More than likely it will be the Xbox 3 because I feel like the Xbox has a better controller for my hands. I feel like the Playstation controllers are just too small. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I basically went one console this generation after having 3 last gen. Started with the Wii, didn't care for it much and ditched it after getting a 360 in fall 2007. Now I have 2 again as I rebought a Wii when my Xbox Live account got hacked in October (and is still locked while they're trying to restore it).

I'll almost definitely go with only 1 again next gen if I do buy one. Most likely Xbox as I like their first party games more than Sony's. Though I'm pretty grumpy with their slow response to my account hacking currently....

I'll only get a Wii U if they have a lot more games that appeal to me than the Wii has had, and even then I'd only buy it later in the generation after a few price drops.

[quote name='TheLongshot']See, coming from PC gaming, I hate playing FPS with a gamepad. For me, Wii remote - nunchuk comes closer to mouse - keyboard that I'm used to. I also like that it isn't as cramped as a gamepad.

I understand the occasional need for a 2nd analog stick and more buttons, but I often find the 2nd analog stick to be a pain when I need to use it and press buttons.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the difference. I've always been a console gamer and fucking despised keyboard/mouse controls the few times I've tried to play PC games. I just hate doing anything at a PC at home after spending hours working on one every day, so I generally don't want my hands anywhere near a keyboard/mouse in my precious free time! :D

The 360 controller is the best I've every used. I love offset analog sticks and the controller just fits my hands perfectly. Only downside is the dpad sucks (though I hear the new one is better) but that's pretty much moot as I don't play any games that use it for anything more than changing weapons or calling in things (basically just as extra buttons rather than for movement).

[quote name='foltzie']
Until I get to try one I dont know if it are easy to hold or not, The e3 reviewers indicated they were OK to hold, but as the old PA indicated, that is should not necessarily be assume to be a universal truth.[/QUOTE]

Perception carries a lot of weight though. The WiiU controller may be passable for comfort, but it certainly doesn't look that way.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
In any case, taking a nice step forward in graphics will be key. Cutting edge graphics are huge in selling consoles to the core market. People are going to get whatever console Call of Duty, Madden etc. look the best on among the Nintendo, Sony and MS offering. [/QUOTE]

Not necessarily true. The Xbox was the most powerful console last gen and the PS3 is clearly more powerful than the 360 yet neither won over American gamers. The lesser powered PS2 and 360 trumped their more powerful competition. (and yes, the Wii trumped them all)

At this point I'm not so sure that we don't have hard and firm allegiances in place for all 3 companies. With online structures in place, friends and online purchases, who's to say people don't just stick with what they know next time out? It will take major bungling(think pre-PS3 launch or RROD) on all three companies parts to lose their existing base.

I am paid up for Live for 2-3 more years. I have a digital library of games and DLC tied to MS that I don't want to part with(assuming any of that content moves forward). As a consumer, I'm probably not going with the competition next time out simply because of that content. I'd venture there are a ton of people in the same boat for both 360 and PS3. Less so with Nintendo since they didn't offer much in the way of online stuff on the Wii.

[quote name='Blaster man']Both companies took major losses at the start of this generation so I believe they are doing a sort of chicken game right now. Trying to see how long they can go without launching another console but they also don't want to launch a year after the other console. Everyone now knows that's a huge mistake.[/QUOTE]

Whenever they decide to launch, I think Microsoft will try and pull an Apple and announce at E3 and launch that fall, at least in America since this is their territory. Of course it would take some serious effort on their part to not have third parties leaking info to the press about games in the next-gen pipeline. This way Sony gets caught with their pants down and MS beats them by a year again, unless they have something waiting in the wings as well. With the hit they took on the PS3, I see them being very reactionary this time out.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
I'll almost definitely go with only 1 again next gen if I do buy one. Most likely Xbox as I like their first party games more than Sony's. Though I'm pretty grumpy with their slow response to my account hacking currently....

I'll only get a Wii U if they have a lot more games that appeal to me than the Wii has had, and even then I'd only buy it later in the generation after a few price drops.
[/quote]

Same here. I own all three and next time out, one will probably suffice, and as I said above even not knowing anything about the next consoles, MS is likely to get my money.

I will concede that owning a Wii was nice for when the 360 was out for month long at a time repairs. :)

I can't rule out the WiiU though since Nintendo has so many killer franchises. It might be my first price drop Nintendo purchase.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I just hate doing anything at a PC at home after spending hours working on one every day, so I generally don't want my hands anywhere near a keyboard/mouse in my precious free time! :D[/quote]

:lol: Amen to that. I like the Wii/Nunchuck combo (minus motion and pointing controls) strictly on the split controller aspect, but the Wiimote 2.0 really needs the four traditional buttons (A,B,X,Y). However, the lack of a second analog still presents a problem without resorting to pointing.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The 360 controller is the best I've every used. I love offset analog sticks and the controller just fits my hands perfectly. [/QUOTE]

I am a stickler for ergonomic controllers and the 360 can't be beat. The DualShock just can't touch the offset analog sticks and their trigger and bumper buttons are pitiful. The controller on the whole is just not ergonomically comfy either. It was great in 1997 but it's time for Sony to move on. We aren't still using N64 controllers, why should we still be using PS1 controllers?

The D-pad argument seems moot at this point. It all comes down to fighters and it just doesn't seem like a thriving genre anymore. I'll qualify this with "I'm not up on that genre anymore" but look at Street Fighter IV sales. Looks like it sold roughly 2 million combined on 360 and PS3. That's 2 million people out of a pool of about 120 million. What's that, less than 2% of the user base? I can see why they leave it to third parties to provide special controllers.

[quote name='Corvin']Perception carries a lot of weight though. The WiiU controller may be passable for comfort, but it certainly doesn't look that way.[/quote]

Indeed. Perception is really key to sales. And Nintendo would have to make dramatic changes to improve their perception among core gamers.

Launching with an unwieldy looking tablet controller isn't a good start on that front....

Not necessarily true. The Xbox was the most powerful console last gen and the PS3 is clearly more powerful than the 360 yet neither won over American gamers. The lesser powered PS2 and 360 trumped their more powerful competition. (and yes, the Wii trumped them all)

I wasn't necessarily saying that the most powerful console wins each generation.

Just that core gamers expect a new console to offer a jump forward in graphics. The Wii won from getting non-gamers to buy in big numbers.

Right from day 1 there was a lot of bitching from core gamers about how the graphics weren't much better than the Gamecube. If a core gamer is going to shell out for a new console, they expect it to take some steps forward from that company's current console to be worth their while.

At this point I'm not so sure that we don't have hard and firm allegiances in place for all 3 companies. With online structures in place, friends and online purchases, who's to say people don't just stick with what they know next time out? It will take major bungling(think pre-PS3 launch or RROD) on all three companies parts to lose their existing base.

Agreed, and very good point about people being tied into downloaded games, friends lists etc.

Honestly, Nintendo's best bet would probably be to just focus on handhelds as far as hardware goes and go third party in the console arena and just make millions selling their killer franchises on consoles that other companies are taking losses on. Or maybe go second party and partner with Sony and get some say in controller design etc.

I can't rule out the WiiU though since Nintendo has so many killer franchises. It might be my first price drop Nintendo purchase.

I'm kind of in the same boat, and will probably pick one up after a price drop or two for Mario, Metroid and Zelda. But I am a tad tired of those franchises so they'll have to make some strides forward in those games. I'm not sure I'll buy if it's just the same ole, same ole with an new coat of HD paint.

I am a stickler for ergonomic controllers and the 360 can't be beat. The DualShock just can't touch the offset analog sticks and their trigger and bumper buttons are pitiful. The controller on the whole is just not ergonomically comfy either. It was great in 1997 but it's time for Sony to move on. We aren't still using N64 controllers, why should we still be using PS1 controllers?

Agreed. I never cared much for the Dual Shocks. Just too small, and I hate the side by side analog sticks for dual analog games as well. And agree that the triggers are terrible for shooters.

[quote name='Corvin']Not necessarily true. The Xbox was the most powerful console last gen and the PS3 is clearly more powerful than the 360 yet neither won over American gamers. The lesser powered PS2 and 360 trumped their more powerful competition. (and yes, the Wii trumped them all)[/quote]

I think a thing to remember is that the PS2 continued to have a long life even after the PS3 came out. Any new console from Sony or Microsoft is going to have to contend with that, particularly if they don't go with backwards compatiblity, which both companies fell down on in this generation.

It sort of happened with the last generation as well, tho the online thing isn't a big deal for me. As usual, content is going to be king and the main driver is going to be who has the exclusive titles that you want to play.

Same here. I own all three and next time out, one will probably suffice, and as I said above even not knowing anything about the next consoles, MS is likely to get my money.

I will concede that owning a Wii was nice for when the 360 was out for month long at a time repairs. :)

With the Wii being the odd duck, I think we had more multiple console households than we had previously. Unless you were just a casual gamer, it was hard to just have the Wii in your house. Personally, I went with Wii and PS3, the latter because it is my main media device in my living room with Blu-ray, streaming music from my server and HD Netflix. I never saw the point in owning an Xbox. I had no interest in the exclusives, and a lot of games would come out for PC as well.

That being said, I think any new console will be a hard sell for me, particularly since I have a huge backlog on all three of my consoles that will keep me busy for a long time. (I also have a PS2)

:lol: Amen to that. I like the Wii/Nunchuck combo (minus motion and pointing controls) strictly on the split controller aspect, but the Wiimote 2.0 really needs the four traditional buttons (A,B,X,Y). However, the lack of a second analog still presents a problem without resorting to pointing.

I tend to agree that having more buttons would be better, but again I'm used to a mouse, which does have two butons. I don't mind the pointing if they work on making it less flaky. As I said, I like using my right hand as a mouse and my left as the keyboard. The problem I always have with analog sticks with camera movement is that they autocenter. I like the freedom a mouse gives you with looking around without something pressuring you to go back to center.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I think a thing to remember is that the PS2 continued to have a long life even after the PS3 came out. Any new console from Sony or Microsoft is going to have to contend with that, particularly if they don't go with backwards compatiblity, which both companies fell down on in this generation.[/quote]

And that's a big part of why I think they won't launch until they can put out consoles that make enough of a step forward that people want to buy them and play the awesome looking new games rather than keep playing 360/PS3 games. People aren't going to shell out $400+ for a new console if the games aren't noticeably better looking than current gen games.

As usual, content is going to be king and the main driver is going to be who has the exclusive titles that you want to play.

I don't think that will get many to change loyalties. With third party exclusives mostly being a thing of the past it just comes down to first party exclusives which probably won't change much.

People who love Mario, Metroid and Zelda will want a Wii U, people who love Halo and Gears of War will want a 720 and people who love Uncharted, Gran Turismo etc. will want a PS4.

So Corvin is likely right that most people will just buy the successor to whatever console they liked most this generation as their main console the next go around when you factor that in, along with friends lists, content tied to a console's account etc.

I never saw the point in owning an Xbox. I had no interest in the exclusives, and a lot of games would come out for PC as well.

I was the same way with the PS3 (minus the PC part). The big launch price turned me off, especially since I didn't have an HDTV at the time and thus no interest in Blu Ray. I don't really dig Sony's exclusives--the Uncharted games are the only ones I've really wished I could play. And even once I got an HDTV, I prefer to have a standalone Blu-ray player rather than use a game console and put extra wear and tear on it.

That being said, I think any new console will be a hard sell for me, particularly since I have a huge backlog on all three of my consoles that will keep me busy for a long time. (I also have a PS2)

I'm also in no rush. I don't have a gigantic backlog as I'm really only interested in AAA type games, but i have enough to keep me busy for a while. Mainly I just have no interest in shelling out money for a console unless they can make a pretty big step forward with the graphics. Until then I'm happy just playing sequels and new games on the 360, so I hope they drag out this console cycle a few more years.

I don't mind the pointing if they work on making it less flaky.

For me the pointing will just never be precise enough for me to use it for aiming in a fast paced FPS game. I just don't have very steady hands.

bread's done
Back