Wii U - General Discussion Thread

Interesting. I'd argue that the guitar hero/rock band stuff are the only peripherals worth owning this gen. They offered a gaming experience that you couldn't get elsewhere. Also unlike all the other gimmicks, they work with nearly two dozen games. Granted, they are all of the same genre, but at least they are supported by more than a single game. Look at WiiMotion+. What a joke that was.

Yeah, the GH/RB games are fun. I just have a couple of guitars. Just don't have the space in my condo for the drums etc.

That said, I haven't played any of the music games in close to a year, so I've been debating try to sell them off. Played a lot of them end of last generation, beginning of this, but the novelty wore off.

I'd just rather lounge on the couch and relax than play more active games like that.

And Wiimotion plus gets to my point about the Classic Controller Pro above. If a controller is not packed in with every single console sold, it won't get much support as third parties aren't going to make games that require a controller than not every console owner has as they develop for the lowest common denominator to maximize sales potential.

I think Nintendo hit it out of the park with Wii Sports, Mario Kart and NSMB Wii. Notice that all of those games are very fundamental (pong, bowling, golf, a basic cart racer and the quintessential platformer). Making things more complicated with an attached Game Boy is not going to reach the same broad audience as the Wii did.

If they're aiming for the traditional market they should use Blu-Ray, polish the user interface and (I can't stress this enough) bundle it with a 2D Mario game.

[quote name='Corvin']Look at WiiMotion+. What a joke that was.[/QUOTE]

I don't think those playing Skyward Sword think Motion+ is a joke. Many feel it is the game that finally makes it worth it.

The problem with it is that Nintendo didn't really learn their lesson with controllers released late in the console lifestyle. Given also that Nintendo didn't have the killer app for it until last year, Motion+ was doomed to failure on the Wii.

That being said, given that Motion+ is going to be standard on the WiiU, I wouldn't exactly count it out just yet.

As for the addon for the 3DS, it is going to be interesting to see if Nintendo does a revision of the 3DS that has the pad built in.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I don't think those playing Skyward Sword think Motion+ is a joke. Many feel it is the game that finally makes it worth it.
.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean the tech behind it. I meant the fact that you can count on one hand the number of games that support it, and half of those had it as a pack in. It was a massive failure.

[quote name='Corvin']I didn't mean the tech behind it. I meant the fact that you can count on one hand the number of games that support it, and half of those had it as a pack in. It was a massive failure.[/QUOTE]

As far as add on peripherals goes it is a screaming success. Of course, using that scale is like a Senior celebrating a B in 8th grade English.

[quote name='Corvin']I didn't mean the tech behind it. I meant the fact that you can count on one hand the number of games that support it, and half of those had it as a pack in. It was a massive failure.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how you define success. If it sold consoles for Nintendo (it being a pack in with Wii Sports Resort), then it wasn't all that much of a failure from their end. Not to mention, many people did buy it before it did get bundled with consoles.

I'm sure they wanted more from it than just that, but I wouldn't say it is a failure up on the level of, say, Rob the robot.

Nah, you can include the tech behind it. It is better than the original Wiimote but still needs a lot of work until it is perfected. I find myself fighting the controls at least 1/2 the time when playing Skyward Sword which never happens when playing Zelda (or any other game) with a regular controller. Motion controls need a ton of work.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Depends on how you define success. If it sold consoles for Nintendo (it being a pack in with Wii Sports Resort), then it wasn't all that much of a failure from their end. Not to mention, many people did buy it before it did get bundled with consoles.

I'm sure they wanted more from it than just that, but I wouldn't say it is a failure up on the level of, say, Rob the robot.[/QUOTE]

It's a failure in terms of being supported by a lot of games.

Like I've said repeatedly, the only controllers that get real support--especially from third parties--are those packed in with every console. Developers/publishers aren't going to design their game around a peripheral and thus limit the market for the game.

I've decided now that I'm not getting a Wii U period unless it has some kind of standard controller (classic controller pro or whatever) bundled in every console. I'm just not interested in the tablet controller at all, and I just don't care enough about Mario/Metroid/Zelda anymore to buy a console just for those games.

So I'll leave you Nintendo fans alone and bow out of this subforum unless the Wii U is revealed to come with a standard controller. :D

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's a failure in terms of being supported by a lot of games.

Like I've said repeatedly, the only controllers that get real support--especially from third parties--are those packed in with every console. Developers/publishers aren't going to design their game around a peripheral and thus limit the market for the game.[/quote]

Agreed, which is why it has a chance to be more successful on the WiiU, where it is going to be the standard controller.

I've decided now that I'm not getting a Wii U period unless it has some kind of standard controller (classic controller pro or whatever) bundled in every console. I'm just not interested in the tablet controller at all, and I just don't care enough about Mario/Metroid/Zelda anymore to buy a console just for those games.

So I'll leave you Nintendo fans alone and bow out of this subforum unless the Wii U is revealed to come with a standard controller. :D

I sometimes find it amazing how "hard core" gamers are such a conservative bunch. Then again, I see the games that come out on consoles and I shouldn't be shocked.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's a failure in terms of being supported by a lot of games.

Like I've said repeatedly, the only controllers that get real support--especially from third parties--are those packed in with every console. Developers/publishers aren't going to design their game around a peripheral and thus limit the market for the game.

So I'll leave you Nintendo fans alone and bow out of this subforum unless the Wii U is revealed to come with a standard controller. :D[/QUOTE]

If Wii Motion Plus was that great then every game made after Motion Plus came out would have supported it. Instead we have a handful of games that support it, and it took years for the definitive game that supports it, Skyward Sword to come out. I have owned the Wii for years and honestly I can't tell the difference between a motion plus game and a non motion plus game. The problem is this splits the userbase into those that have motion plus and those that don't. Moreover the really popular games like Just Dance don't even use motion plus. I wonder if the original Wii Remote will be compatible with the Wii U without motion plus attached to it, because there are still a lot of original Wii Remotes floating around out there.

I can't really knock on Wii Motion Plus, its obviously one of Nintendo's better peripherals and it is small in size so it doesn't take up a lot of space in your house. It has also been bundled with numerous games so its not hard to get one. There are enough games that use it, but really more games should support it.

The tablet controller should be the controller used for all games, however it also sounds like you will have to use Wiimotes for some parts of games and/or multiplayer so you will probably have to have some Wiimotes around to use this system to the fullest extent. It will be interesting to see what this system comes bundled with at launch. The tablet controller should be able to replace the classic controller based on the buttons included.

Motion gaming is not perfected yet, I still don't have enough space to use a Kinect and I probably never will so Microsoft needs to make it work in the space I have or else I am never going to be in the market for it because I cannot physically use it. The Nyko zoom lens doesn't work and is a joke basically.

From Nintendo's Investor's Briefing:
WiiU will have individual account system rather than previous per hardware, hence several users per hardware unit

Told you guys. Up to 12 per system, by the way.

EDIT: MOAR!
Digital will include user to user communications and sharing

Nintendo Network is the new network for 3DS/Wii U. The communities of MK7 connect to this network. Not just a rebranding of the WFC. New services for consumers.

A confusing one:
Digital - if super mario user gets tired then can sell digitally extra which will drive extra rev..
but I think it means users can sell/giveaway games they've downloaded to other people.

We should not decline 3rd parties if they want to offer item billing

This calendar year will announce several alliances/partnerships with external parties, previously not considered
Steam, Battlenet, uPlay, Origin; probably

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll believe it when I see it, but I really like what I'm hearing so far. I really expected something maybe along the lines of the 3DS at best and the current Wii at worst.

It sounds like they're aware that they need to play catch-up in key areas for online activities.

It's still fuzzy, though. The hardware, the games, the relationship with the Wii, the plethora of peripherals not balloons, even the name...it's ~10 months away and who knows what's coming. I guess E3 will sort it all out.

I definitely like what I am hearing but the Wii was the console that was supposed to play every Nintendo game from the past....

So I will believe this when I see it and when I see actual support and more than one good game released every 6 months. Also I expect most of the games that are on the other consoles to be on the Wii U (not just old ports from the PS3 and XBox 360 era because those are available at a discount already), so that if I end up with this thing at some point I am not missing out on 75% of the good games out for the generation.

Too little, too late?

Speaking of the Virtual Console, if none of it transfers it just looks bad. Are we supposed to re-buy everything...again? Could we copy games to an SD card and move them over to the WiiU?

There's no guarantee that Live or PSN purchases will transfer either, but since everything is tied to an account, I have to imagine the odds are better than 50/50, whereas it feels like there's probably less than a 10% chance my Wii purchases will transfer over.

Plus, as SaraAB points out, if the WiiU starts getting all the XBLA/PSN titles(map packs? DLC?), this thing is going to need a substantial hard drive. I don't see Nintendo doing a traditional hard drive because of size, moving parts and just overall unreliability. Do they go SSD? Internal flash drive? I'm betting on the flash drive, so I doubt we'll see substantial storage space, but that's just wild speculation on my part.

VC/WW games will transfer over. People should really pay attention to me on this. I mean, you'll probably have some exceptions (Like TMNT) because of licensing issues, but I've been told you have nothing to worry about. I've also heard you may be able to play those games on your 3DS somehow...

As for DLC...I'm pretty sure they confirmed that you could use external HDD's on Wii U. And yes, I know it's not ideal.

[quote name='dothog']It sounds like they're aware that they need to play catch-up in key areas for online activities.

It's still fuzzy, though. The hardware, the games, the relationship with the Wii, the plethora of peripherals not balloons, even the name...it's ~10 months away and who knows what's coming. I guess E3 will sort it all out.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat... it sounds like Nintendo is doing many things right but with the release date coming, we still haven't even seen an actual Wii U game that isn't a port. Or even a port running on the Wii U.

[quote name='KingBroly']VC/WW games will transfer over. People should really pay attention to me on this. I mean, you'll probably have some exceptions (Like TMNT) because of licensing issues, but I've been told you have nothing to worry about. I've also heard you may be able to play those games on your 3DS somehow...

As for DLC...I'm pretty sure they confirmed that you could use external HDD's on Wii U. And yes, I know it's not ideal.[/QUOTE]

Actually that would be a pretty cool idea with MS you have to buy their proprietary hard drive which is more expensive than other hard drives with less capacity, if you use one of the fake ebay hard drives or if you use an older hard drive from the other models you run the risk of getting banned because technically its against MS's TOS to do those things even though they haven't banned anyone for that yet.

If you were able to use any external hard drive then it would be much cheaper for the consumer. This way at least we can install massive hard drives on these things without having to worry about getting banned. I like my storage space thank you. Hopefully by next Xmas hard drive prices will come down..

[quote name='SaraAB']Actually that would be a pretty cool idea with MS you have to buy their proprietary hard drive which is more expensive than other hard drives with less capacity, if you use one of the fake ebay hard drives or if you use an older hard drive from the other models you run the risk of getting banned because technically its against MS's TOS to do those things even though they haven't banned anyone for that yet.

If you were able to use any external hard drive then it would be much cheaper for the consumer. This way at least we can install massive hard drives on these things without having to worry about getting banned. I like my storage space thank you. Hopefully by next Xmas hard drive prices will come down..[/QUOTE]

The PS3 has been doing this forever. Each PS3 has a small panel you can remove to find the hard drive, which you can then take out and replace with another 2.5" hard drive. Hardest part is removing the screws. It can also use plain 'ole USB drives / external drives to store music, movies, or whatever.

Except the process of trying to get those screws out SUCKS on the PS3's Hard Drive.

Anyway, something dawned on me about last night's meeting. Iwata said a new 2D Mario was coming to 3DS this year. Doesn't that kind of mean the only outstanding Mario game we know about right now, New Super Mario Bros. Mii, won't be at Wii U's launch? In addition, I think it means Mario won't be at launch either since it would've been in Iwata's best interest to say 'Mario will help Wii U sell big this holiday.'

[quote name='KingBroly']In addition, I think it means Mario won't be at launch either since it would've been in Iwata's best interest to say 'Mario will help Wii U sell big this holiday.'[/QUOTE]

This is going to sound extremely bitchy (and it isn't), but your statement assumes that Nintendo has a plan. I think the last E3, and the lack of PR/leaks since then, suggests they haven't exactly thought this one through from A to Z.

But on your point, it's possible they could re-purpose a Mario title to suit the WII U, it's just hard to say right now given that the product is still largely unknown.

Well, they talk about a strong launch, and it's been rumored that they'd put New Super Mario Bros. Mii at launch, if it's a real game. Instead they announce 'hey, Mario in 2D for 3DS for the Sixth Dimension this year instead of Wii U.' Iwata knows what games are being made, so it'd be in his best interest to push that to the forefront if it could be done. So...because there's no Mario announcement now for Wii U, it means something else is in the cards. What I don't know. Also, 2 Mario Platformers in the same release window is bad business.

As for Wii U being unknown, like I've said before, I know a good bit of information that I've shared but no one cares to pay attention to.

If the Wii U releases at $250, I'll probably end up getting it at launch, regardless of my personal console buying rules. Console lauches are always fun. The current Wii is only $100 off the original price of the launch Wii and doesn't come with BC for GC (but comes with a Mario game), so I really don't see a point of waiting (this is assuming that Wii U is as successful as the Wii). I don't think we'll see $80 price drop like the 3DS with it.

It is kind of a risk though. The first price drop for the Wii happened 2 years after launch (-$50) while the first price drop for the 3DS (-$80) happened within 4 months

WTH i'll probably still get it.

[quote name='sandaz93']If the Wii U releases at $250, I'll probably end up getting it at launch, regardless of my personal console buying rules. Console lauches are always fun. The current Wii is only $100 off the original price of the launch Wii and doesn't come with BC for GC (but comes with a Mario game), so I really don't see a point of waiting (this is assuming that Wii U is as successful as the Wii). I don't think we'll see $80 price drop like the 3DS with it.

It is kind of a risk though. The first price drop for the Wii happened 2 years after launch (-$50) while the first price drop for the 3DS (-$80) happened within 4 months

WTH i'll probably still get it.[/QUOTE]

I wonder... would they consider releasing the system at a bargain price? It's not in NoA's nature to lose money on hardware but part of the reason the Wii succeeded was probably because it was cheaper than other consoles. And the 3DS didn't do all that well until the price drop. If NoA did release this at a price that was competitive to the 360 and PS3, they could easily get a ton of early adopters on board and maybe convert some PS3/360 owners early... assuming the games are there.

But there's so many unknowns about this system.... like where are the fucking games?

The games, at least...some, are going to be revealed at E3. Even previously confirmed games, like Ninja Gaiden 3 and Darksiders 2, in their more recent trailers, omitted the Wii U logos for some reason. Maybe it's because of the name change rumors.

[quote name='Vinny']I wonder... would they consider releasing the system at a bargain price? It's not in NoA's nature to lose money on hardware but part of the reason the Wii succeeded was probably because it was cheaper than other consoles. And the 3DS didn't do all that well until the price drop. If NoA did release this at a price that was competitive to the 360 and PS3, they could easily get a ton of early adopters on board and maybe convert some PS3/360 owners early... assuming the games are there.

But there's so many unknowns about this system.... like where are the fucking games?[/QUOTE]

That's the thing. No one can really make an honest assessment until E3. Launch games are usually meh, but an attractive price could help mitigate that.

I thought the 3DS was far too expensive, considering that you could get a PS3 for the same price. $199 would be interesting, but I'd bet on $250 and either a Zelda/Mario/Metroid game at launch.

The Wii launch was really helped by: 1. Wii sports for the casuals 2. Twilight Princess for the hardcore 3. A very low price. The PS3 came out at the same time for $600.

Guess we just have to play the waiting game for now.

I say this as a huge Nintendo fan but if the Wii U is released at $250 and I was to recommend the Wii U vs a PS3 bundle (which has a built in Blu-ray player) I think I'd probably recommend the PS3. The value of having a dedicated blu-ray player vs a mini-screen controller is pretty one sided for me personally.

I think Nintendo needs to implement Blu-ray into their system or show that their system is really "next gen" hardware wise.

If the PS4 and next Xbox are released in 2013/2014 I'm afraid the Wii U will be like the Wii all over again (treading behind the competition) sans the "fresh new motion technologies" perks.

3-4 years from now are we going to be impressed by the Wii U or wishing it was much more?

[quote name='antlp89']If the PS4 and next Xbox are released in 2013/2014 I'm afraid the Wii U will be like the Wii all over again (treading behind the competition) sans the "fresh new motion technologies" perks.

3-4 years from now are we going to be impressed by the Wii U or wishing it was much more?[/QUOTE]
But you forget that the Wii was, internally, nearly identical to the GameCube, so unlike the Wii, the WiiU will be an actual step up hardware-wise.

[quote name='Andami']But you forget that the Wii was, internally, nearly identical to the GameCube, so unlike the Wii, the WiiU will be an actual step up hardware-wise.[/QUOTE]

No, that is exactly what I mean.

From what I've heard, isn't the Wii U barely stronger than a PS3/360 processor wise?

Wii U will be a step up graphically in 2012.

But 3-4 years from now it will be painfully behind especially if it wants to keep up with a constantly evolving gaming genre.

I really hope Nintendo can flourish in the HD generation and beyond but time will tell.

[quote name='antlp89']No, that is exactly what I mean.

From what I've heard, isn't the Wii U barely stronger than a PS3/360 processor wise?

Wii U will be a step up graphically in 2012.

But 3-4 years from now it will be painfully behind especially if it wants to keep up with a constantly evolving gaming genre.

I really hope Nintendo can flourish in the HD generation and beyond but time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Even if the Wii U is only slightly more powerful, I don't think it'll be as bad this time around. I mean, think about it.. we've seen some pretty damn amazing games on the PS3 and 360 hardware and they're still getting better. Add to it that the Wii U's GPU and CPU will like be much more efficient and there's likely to be other benefits.

If the PS4 and XBox 4000 come out with hardware capable of photo realistic images, I doubt it'll be as bothersome this time around. On the Wii, it was noticeable from the start since Nintendo basically released GameCube 1.2 or 1.3 and without HD.

What I meant by asking, "where are the games" before was in reference to the time table. We saw real 360/PS3 games well over a year before release but Nintendo's probably a year away from release and we still haven't seen anything good from Nintendo (outside of a few tech demos). Even if they plan to do a huge reveal during E3 this year, it still seems too late...

I got burned by Nintendo with the Wii. I waited in line and bought that thing at launch and wound up selling it like five months later because there was zero games for it. I vowed to never purchase another Nintendo console at launch.

That said, the Wii-U is kind of interesting to me. If they release it at $250, I'd have to really consider grabbing one at launch. I'll wait though to see some kind of line-up and what, if any kind of multimedia capabilities the thing has. I do 99% of my gaming on my PC, so if it's got a good way to stream content from my PC to the Wii-U, I'd be even more likely to grab it to replace my PS3 as a media server.

[quote name='antlp89']From what I've heard, isn't the Wii U barely stronger than a PS3/360 processor wise?[/QUOTE]

I've heard it is twice as powerful as a 360, but what does that really mean?

[quote name='TheLongshot']I've heard it is twice as powerful as a 360, but what does that really mean?[/QUOTE]

I'm all for it, but this IS Nintendo we're talking about. Does anyone honestly believe that they will be jumping from, essentially 2001 tech to doubling the 360? Same with going from the most rudimentary online to a robust online system ready at launch?

Since they SNES they have specialized in doing the bare minimum to compete and still be profitable. I don't see why that would change all of a sudden.

[quote name='Corvin']I'm all for it, but this IS Nintendo we're talking about. Does anyone honestly believe that they will be jumping from, essentially 2001 tech to doubling the 360? Same with going from the most rudimentary online to a robust online system ready at launch?

Since they SNES they have specialized in doing the bare minimum to compete and still be profitable. I don't see why that would change all of a sudden.[/QUOTE]

Except that the bare minimum now might very well be twice as fast than the current tech of the 360.

Note that in the article I read that, developers were still a little disappointed in that, expecting more.

[quote name='KingBroly']I thought 360 was 2003 tech, not 2001.[/QUOTE]

I meant jumping from essentially Gamecube to twice as powerful as a 360. I just don't see it happening, but I'm more than willing to be impressed.

[quote name='Corvin']I meant jumping from essentially Gamecube to twice as powerful as a 360. I just don't see it happening, but I'm more than willing to be impressed.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point... I mean, maybe the GPU or CPU won't be as far behind as the PS4/Xbox3's (it will probably be like Dreamcast versus PS2 difference) but it seems like Nintendo is always behind in some sense. The Wii U is already confirmed to use proprietary optical media (so there's likely going to be no BD or DVD playback) and I can't see them having a very robust online network.

A friend of mine made a point that would substantially increase my desire for a Wii U: if they let you use the controller as a tablet type device. It's a really good idea... to be able to use the controller as stand alone tablet as an e-reader or to browse the net. But knowing Nintendo, it's not gonna happen. I mean, they've ready confirm that it's a single-touch touchpad in an age where everything is multi-touch. Then again, who knows? Maybe those hackers can get Android running on it.:D

[quote name='Vinny'] The Wii U is already confirmed to use proprietary optical media (so there's likely going to be no BD or DVD playback) and I can't see them having a very robust online network. [/QUOTE]

No Blu-ray? Nintendo does it again...:roll:

Why though? Seriously ridiculous. Hopefully they backtrack.

It's proprietary Blu-Ray, so it won't play BR movies, but it is Blu-Ray...technically. Basically it saves them a large fee per console (I think it's $9 or so).

As for Console Power, I don't see it being far behind 720, but...that Sony man. Those people are crazy. I halfway expect 8gb of RAM and, a 2 TB HDD and a graphics card from the year the PS4 is released.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's proprietary Blu-Ray, so it won't play BR movies, but it is Blu-Ray...technically. Basically it saves them a large fee per console (I think it's $9 or so).

As for Console Power, I don't see it being far behind 720, but...that Sony man. Those people are crazy. I halfway expect 8gb of RAM and, a 2 TB HDD and a graphics card from the year the PS4 is released.[/QUOTE]

I wonder what the price is going to be for the Wii U. If it under $300 then I can see it do really good.

Are you being serious about the PS4? Do you think that its going be last to join the next generation again?

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that Sony is the 'tech first' company. They'll always push higher end tech over cost-effective measures. So I'm saying they might go crazy again and go for another high end piece of tech that probably doesn't do them any favors.

And yes, I do think it's going to be the last to join "next gen" at this rate, since we're hearing tons of things about the next Xbox and not the next Playstation at this point in time.

As for Wii speculation, I'm going to guess that a firmware update happens later this year that will allow VC/WW transfers to Wii U; similar to what a DSi firmware update last year provided.
This is not a guess, it's going to happen.

I'm not so sure about Sony 'going for it' this time. After the PS3 pricing disaster, they seem to have learned the price lesson with the Vita. Problem is, in Japan anyway, the 'big tech' of the Vita isn't setting the world on fire. They've gone big tech with big price, and there was a backlash. They've gone big tech with a low price, and Japan roundly went "yeah, no". Depending on how the rest of the world responds to the Vita, I wouldn't be shocked if Sony doesn't quite swing for the fences with the PS4. Plus, Sony as a company hasn't been doing wonderfully, so they may not be in a position to go with the hubris of the PS3 launch again. They need an out of the gate success. That's just my take on it, though.

Now, for the person who said Nintendo is always behind... am I wrong in remembering that the GameCube was behind the Xbox but ahead of the PS2 in terms of power last gen?

[quote name='007']
Now, for the person who said Nintendo is always behind... am I wrong in remembering that the GameCube was behind the Xbox but ahead of the PS2 in terms of power last gen?[/QUOTE]

That's correct. Xbox was the most powerful followed by Gamecube then PS2. It's not hard to see why though, the PS2 had a year head start, and MS & Nintendo could put in better tech. (same for this gen, 360 was first, so the PS3 had a year to put in some more impressive hardware).

Even if you consider that not doing the bare-minimum to compete(middle of the pack), it was hampered by low capacity proprietary discs.

[quote name='007']I'm not so sure about Sony 'going for it' this time. After the PS3 pricing disaster, they seem to have learned the price lesson with the Vita. Problem is, in Japan anyway, the 'big tech' of the Vita isn't setting the world on fire. They've gone big tech with big price, and there was a backlash. They've gone big tech with a low price, and Japan roundly went "yeah, no". Depending on how the rest of the world responds to the Vita, I wouldn't be shocked if Sony doesn't quite swing for the fences with the PS4. Plus, Sony as a company hasn't been doing wonderfully, so they may not be in a position to go with the hubris of the PS3 launch again. They need an out of the gate success. That's just my take on it, though.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I see Sony being the one company that might sit on this generation for a while. The PS3 is finally profitable and I see little out there that would require a PS4 from Sony. Things might change once Microsoft puts out something, but until then I don't see it.

[quote name='007']I'm not so sure about Sony 'going for it' this time. After the PS3 pricing disaster, they seem to have learned the price lesson with the Vita. Problem is, in Japan anyway, the 'big tech' of the Vita isn't setting the world on fire. They've gone big tech with big price, and there was a backlash. They've gone big tech with a low price, and Japan roundly went "yeah, no". Depending on how the rest of the world responds to the Vita, I wouldn't be shocked if Sony doesn't quite swing for the fences with the PS4. Plus, Sony as a company hasn't been doing wonderfully, so they may not be in a position to go with the hubris of the PS3 launch again. They need an out of the gate success. That's just my take on it, though.

Now, for the person who said Nintendo is always behind... am I wrong in remembering that the GameCube was behind the Xbox but ahead of the PS2 in terms of power last gen?[/QUOTE]

I know the Xbox was more powerful than the Cube last generation, but I don't think it was that far behind. I know the gap between the Xbox/Cube and PS2 power-wise was somewhat substantial. The only reason why graphics were comparable between all 3 was because the PS2 was the lead platform for almost every game released.

If monster hunter doesn't get on the Vita, its probably screwed since that is what most people bought the PSP for, playing Monster hunter, at least in Japan. Or another huge franchise that has the power to sell like Monster hunter. Which is why the PSP has such success there. For now its either buy the system with monster hunter or buy the system without it, the PSP has monster hunter so they are buying that.

Monster hunter is on the 3DS now in Japan, combined with a couple mario games and plenty more stuff on the way leads to huge sales because the 3DS has the games people want to play. Heck in the US the 3DS can sell on the release of 2 mario games alone, just shows how powerful the mario brand is. Even if people buy the system for just the 2 mario games right now they are buying it and the price is low enough to justify buying it for the 2 games. When they get a Pokemon RPG on this sales will be through the roof no doubt in both Japan and the US. Though I still see way more kids here with apple devices and hardly any 3DS's, though I think in Japan that might be different as they don't have a ton of free Wifi hotspots for the iPod touch like the USA does. I don't think I have seen anyone with a 3DS in public yet here, and that is pretty sad. I don't know if the saturation of apple devices in Japan has reached US levels. I also think the high concentration of apple devices here might have to do with the fact that there is an apple store in my area because someone must be playing the 3DS in the USA or it wouldn't sell that much.

[quote name='Corvin']Even if you consider that not doing the bare-minimum to compete(middle of the pack), it was hampered by low capacity proprietary discs.[/QUOTE]

Not true. By the time of RE4's release, it was generally accepted that for what games could do at that time, the GCN could keep pace with the Xbox. Disc capacity didn't become an "item" until Sony tried to convince everyone that unless you had 25 GB to play with thanks to blu-ray, every game release would involve 4+ discs.

[quote name='Corvin']It's not hard to see why though, the PS2 had a year head start, and MS & Nintendo could put in better tech.[/QUOTE]
This comparison of the "Big 3" is apples to oranges not only in the timing, but in the context. The PS2 was a direct response to the DC, who tried to scoop to gain early marketshare. That strategy worked a lot better for MS with the 360 than it did for Sega, though the red-ring horror stories are evidence that it wasn't a battle that was easily won.

I still think the hardware concerns are moot until we have a handle on what the WII U does. Broly has alluded to having his/her finger on the pulse of its functionality, but based on the meager stories/rumors and the demos Nintendo released, I'm not seeing a lot of additional functionality there over a Wii. Especially now that a Vita/PS3 can apparently replicate what the classic-controller-had-a-baby-with-an-ipad thing can do.

[quote name='dothog']
I still think the hardware concerns are moot until we have a handle on what the WII U does. Broly has alluded to having his/her finger on the pulse of its functionality, but based on the meager stories/rumors and the demos Nintendo released, I'm not seeing a lot of additional functionality there over a Wii. Especially now that a Vita/PS3 can apparently replicate what the classic-controller-had-a-baby-with-an-ipad thing can do.[/QUOTE]

I disagree in that the Wii U Tablet is packed in, making a platform that is "stable" enough for developers to target, whereas the PS3/Vita paring (while neat), is basically a retread of the GCN/GBA and Wii/DS pairing that currently exists. The games that exist for the paired console/handheld deal work well enough, but you can probably count on one hand the games made for all of those iterations*.

So conceptually they are the same, but implementation matters.

*It's possible the PS3/Vita combination may get more penetration than the others due to the PSN connection that shares certain games, but I wouldnt wager too much on that option... Which is a shame because it is surprisingly forward and friendly of Sony.

The problem with the PS3/Vita functionality is that not all games going forward, whether they come out on everything, Vita included, or not, is that Developers have to allocate memory in order to use that functionality. With Wii U, they are, at least for a while, going to have an overhead over PS3 in order to do so.

It doesn't take much to be "creative" with that tablet, which I assume will lead developers to say 'we won't work on Wii U because we can't think of what to do with that screen.' Just put the menu there for quick and easy access. It's simple, effective and probably takes little effort. It's not really thinking outside the box, either.

bread's done
Back