Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='KingBroly']
It doesn't take much to be "creative" with that tablet, which I assume will lead developers to say 'we won't work on Wii U because we can't think of what to do with that screen.' Just put the menu there for quick and easy access. It's simple, effective and probably takes little effort. It's not really thinking outside the box, either.[/QUOTE]

That's my concern, and that's why I've questioned the functionality. I don't doubt the potential, but in the little bit I've seen, it seems like that pad is effectively what the DS's second screen was for the first 9-12 months of the DS's life. I can't imagine the WII U being able do as the DS did and hang around long enough for developers to realize its potential.

No matter what the WII U's internals are, if the pad is Nintendo's only hook, I just don't see it grabbing interest. The DS's second screen was odd enough to garner interest, the Wii's motion control and sports demo definitely works, and as lame as the use of the trendy, "3D" buzzword was, it was good for initial 3DS sales. But an unwieldy controller/pad? They're going to have to have a hell of an E3.

Here some numbers about the power of the consoles.
Last gen power in Flops(floating point operations per second)
ps2 about 6 billion(almost all CPU)
Gamecube about 11 billion(over 90% CPU)
Xbox about 20 billion (I believe less than half was CPU)
This gen
Wii CPU- 60 billion GPU- 1-2 billion total about 60 billion
360 CPU-120 billion GPU about 200 billion total about 300 billion
PS3 CPU- 200 billion GPU about 200 billion total about 400 billion
Next gen
Wii U CPU 180 billion GPU over a trillion(both based on reports of the hard ware)
ps4 and 720 - I've heard nothing other than the rumors that they will be 10 times as powerful(take these with a grain of salt as they both claimed their current systems would be about 3-5 times as powerful as they actually are)

So the Wii U's total power looks to be 3-5 times that of a current consoles. If the other system live up to their PR hype then they will be 2-3 time more powerfull than the Wii U, which may not seem good but it was what the PS2 was and it much better that the current gen where the Wii has 20-15% of the power of the other consoles.

Also FLOPS is a measure of potential power no system will use all of it, efficiency depends on the architecture of the system and how well the game is programed.(It is/was harder to program for the PS3 so even though it had more power it was hard to take advantage of it, hence why many game looked just as good or even better on the 360)

Well the Wii-U has a HD 4900 I believe and the 720 is if the rumors are true, rocking a HD 6000 series from ATI. While there is a big difference and the 720 will look better, I still believe as long as the processor can keep up with the 720 and PS4 (and it has enough RAM), then the Wii-U might just get most of the PS4/720 multiplatform games.

I mean in the PC world, a lot of newer games are still supporting Direct X9 level cards (even though it's near the end of the life cycle), so who knows.

Either way, I might get a Wii-U if it's cheap enough for a new Mario or Zelda game. PC has spoiled me with these sales where I don't need to buy a PS4 or 720 :lol:.

I think Wii is using a 4850, which is actually more powerful than the 6670 the 720 is using. Older gen mid/high end card > last gen low end budget card.

There are so many bits and pieces about the Wii U, it's really pointless to put it together a coherent idea of what the console will be. Maybe Nintendo revealed the Wii U because of the all the leaks so that they could be "in control." That didn't go too well though. Although Nintendo has released some information recently, it is still too vague for the most part. Including the most important aspect, their games. I guess this E3 is when we will find out what it really is.

Anyways, here are some more details. At this point it will only create more speculation.
Team Ninja - Nintendo asked for our input on Wii U, hardware constantly changing, Dead or Alive 5 possible

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well the Wii-U has a HD 4900 I believe and the 720 is if the rumors are true, rocking a HD 6000 series from ATI. While there is a big difference and the 720 will look better, I still believe as long as the processor can keep up with the 720 and PS4 (and it has enough RAM), then the Wii-U might just get most of the PS4/720 multiplatform games. [/QUOTE]
I checked it out and the card is supposed to be equivalent to an AMD radeon HD 6670, which is actually less powerful than the Wii U's rumored ATI card.

The power doesn't matter at all to me, functionality and game releases are what matters to me(but obviously if a system was a couple gen's behind everything else based on specs I would have to question its viability in the market), as a system is nothing if it does not have a strong game lineup, especially a strong launch lineup for those who choose to pay a premium price to get everything first.

We all have enough devices that do other things, I don't need another console that can play youtube vids, give a weather forecast or download the news. I think people looking to get this console are going to be focused on the meat of the system, the games, and hopefully that is where Nintendo has focused their attention instead of on all the other trivial things that are rarely used.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well the Wii-U has a HD 4900 I believe and the 720 is if the rumors are true, rocking a HD 6000 series from ATI. While there is a big difference and the 720 will look better, I still believe as long as the processor can keep up with the 720 and PS4 (and it has enough RAM), then the Wii-U might just get most of the PS4/720 multiplatform games.

I mean in the PC world, a lot of newer games are still supporting Direct X9 level cards (even though it's near the end of the life cycle), so who knows.

Either way, I might get a Wii-U if it's cheap enough for a new Mario or Zelda game. PC has spoiled me with these sales where I don't need to buy a PS4 or 720 :lol:.[/QUOTE]

From what I can find, there has been nothing released in regards to GPU or CPU for the Wii U. It's all speculation, much like the 720's card. And Nintendo would be stupid to use the 4000 series card since it's not in major production anymore (I don't think it's in production anymore as the 5000 series was introduced in 2009, 6000 in 2010) and AMD just started moving on to the 7000 series.

It's more likely they'll use a mid-6000 level card, just like MS since it's a powerful but efficient line. What will set them apart will be features: the Wii U's GPU will likely be a pure 6000 card whereas MS will get a 6000 series card with features found on the 7000 series.

[quote name='Vinny']From what I can find, there has been nothing released in regards to GPU or CPU for the Wii U. It's all speculation, much like the 720's card. And Nintendo would be stupid to use the 4000 series card since it's not in major production anymore (I don't think it's in production anymore as the 5000 series was introduced in 2009, 6000 in 2010) and AMD just started moving on to the 7000 series.

It's more likely they'll use a mid-6000 level card, just like MS since it's a powerful but efficient line. What will set them apart will be features: the Wii U's GPU will likely be a pure 6000 card whereas MS will get a 6000 series card with features found on the 7000 series.[/QUOTE]
Nintendo has released information about both, the CPU is a 45nm power 7 design built by intel, with lots of DRam. The specs have not been confirmed but in all likelihood it is a 3.0+ ghz quad core.

The GPU is confirmed to be a custom built radeon similar to the R700 architecture(ie 4000 series) specifically it is believed to be a RV770. No official specs have been released but rumors/leaks point to something based of of the 4870.

[quote name='itachiitachi']Nintendo has released information about both, the CPU is a 45nm power 7 design built by intel, with lots of DRam. The specs have not been confirmed but in all likelihood it is a 3.0+ ghz quad core.

The GPU is confirmed to be a custom built radeon similar to the R700 architecture(ie 4000 series) specifically it is believed to be a RV770. No official specs have been released but rumors/leaks point to something based of of the 4870.[/QUOTE]

Link? Not that I don't believe you but I just want to read the article/release.

Similar architecture could mean anything and consider the age, it's probably a heavily updated version. They must really want a powerful chip but cheap chip.

[quote name='Vinny']Link? Not that I don't believe you but I just want to read the article/release.

Similar architecture could mean anything and consider the age, it's probably a heavily updated version. They must really want a powerful chip but cheap chip.[/QUOTE]

That's stuff that's been posted on Wikipedia.

That being said, this article says "The hardware is constantly changing".

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nint...stantly-Changing-Team-Ninja-Says-250071.shtml

That's probably why we haven't heard many details about the hardware, because things are still in a bit of flux. Hopefully, it will work in our favor.

Yeah, that was one of the big titles taken for granted in the MSRP thread.

After the DS, the Wii, the 3DS, and the grab-bag of bullshit (reg & iwata's take on developers x 3) from last year's E3, there's absolutely no reason to buy the WIIU at launch. It took me a long time to learn the lesson, but I'm watching this one unfold before I go anywhere near it.

They would have to present an extremely polished product and experience at this E3 to force me to reconsider my attitude toward the WIIU launch. It would have to be exciting and intriguing in the way the Wii Music presentation was laughable and boring.

I don't doubt that they could have a good E3, but even considering that, it would take a lot of games available (not the promise of them) and an aggressive, stable MSRP at launch to get me to bite.

Do you know something, Mr. Cryptic? Spill it!

Well, I know that Nintendo has put insanely strict NDA's on all publishers/developers in regards to game announcements. I guess Nintendo bent the rules for Ubisoft because...

#1 - AC3 is a big game announcement
#2 - Ubisoft leaks the shit out of stuff for Nintendo consoles; allowing 1 probably helps curb this

And yes, I know "things" about Wii U...'s online service. This is information people want to know but not a whole lot of people know about. Same goes for 3DS. I know a 3DS update is coming within the next week or so (I've mentioned this in the 3DS thread), and I know it'll be eShop related. As a general rule of thumb: EA will not control the Nintendo Network. Neither will Steam. I don't know why people think this, but Nintendo will not give up control over something like that.

I've also heard something in regards to Wii U's OS that baffles me and I hope is not true.

Game wise...I know what you know third party wise. I thought RE6 would be there, but them pushing the game's release up a month raises an eyebrow for me. I still think SFxT will come to Wii U with all of the DLC and a couple of Nintendo characters.

[quote name='KingBroly']I've also heard something in regards to Wii U's OS that baffles me and I hope is not true.[/QUOTE]

That is an ominous statement. My guess: iOS. Why? Apple must've won the bidding war between them and MS. We all knew it was only a matter of time before someone bought up Nintendo.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, I know that Nintendo has put insanely strict NDA's on all publishers/developers in regards to game announcements. I guess Nintendo bent the rules for Ubisoft because...

#1 - AC3 is a big game announcement
#2 - Ubisoft leaks the shit out of stuff for Nintendo consoles; allowing 1 probably helps curb this[/quote]

We also knew it was coming from last E3, when they said that an Assassin's Creed game was going to come out for WiiU

As a general rule of thumb: EA will not control the Nintendo Network. Neither will Steam. I don't know why people think this, but Nintendo will not give up control over something like that.

Probably because many know Nintendo's eShop sucks and someone like EA can use that for negotiating power.

Game wise...I know what you know third party wise. I thought RE6 would be there, but them pushing the game's release up a month raises an eyebrow for me. I still think SFxT will come to Wii U with all of the DLC and a couple of Nintendo characters.

It is a bit of a shock that it isn't coming out for WiiU immediately (The remarks seem to leave it open that it could come out later) considering Capcom's generally good support for the Wii, but it might be more reflective of where Capcom is as a company right now.

Why in the world would Apple buy Nintendo? What good would that do? It makes absolutely no sense. Then again I'd never have thought anyone would have paid $1 billion dollars for Instagram either. LOL.

[quote name='dothog']That is an ominous statement. My guess: iOS. Why? Apple must've won the bidding war between them and MS. We all knew it was only a matter of time before someone bought up Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

uh...no. I heard how it might function with Wii software. It has nothing to do with anyone but Nintendo.

[quote name='KingBroly']uh...no. I heard how it might function with Wii software. It has nothing to do with anyone but Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, in that case I would put forth the guess that the Wii U will handle Wii discs the way the Wii handles Gamecube discs, which would be, yeah, pretty weird.

Godammit, can't a guy make Apple/MS buying Nintendo cracks anymore? Nobody's supposed to take that seriously.

And my guess is that they're going to put an emulator on a disc that you first load to RAM, then you put your Wii disc in and play. Gotta save room on that built-in 256 MB internal drive, and hey, a decent Wii emulator's like 2 megs easy.

You gotta admit, though, that's a hell of a guess.

Another great guess: backwards compatibility *with Wii discs* is not possible. In order to play Wii titles, you'll need some kind of always-on connectivity so you can register a Wii title to a certain user account. That title can then be downloaded, stored locally, and played *only* by the user account that registered the title on that WIIU. No other users on the WIIU can play the title. And again, if WIIU can't ping a server in Kyoto, no BC funtimes for the family.

Also, wiimotes are now officially "wagglestiks."

Yes, it's an interesting guess, but Wii BC is going to happen. They want to "Fully Support the Wii with Wii U" I believe was the quote. That's probably the best hint I could give without flat out saying it.

I wish Nintendo would loosen the reigns on announcements though. I know they want to build hype, but a flood of games at once from every direction isn't it. A slow trickle of already announced games would help build the hype until E3.

At that point they could reveal their first party lineup for the first 6 months, third party games/ports, and unveil a bit about their online infrastructure (which I was told is going to happen).

EDIT:
This involves Virtual Console and Wii Ware games too. That's important.

Hmm, sounds like the Wii will dock in the WIIU in a Satellaview-like manner. Or was it the other way around, I forget the specifics about the Satellaview. I just love the name and the look is adorably chunky. Japan gets all the good shit.

What's preventing you from "flat out saying it"? Are you protecting sources? Is someone in danger? Blink once if Shiggy has a gun to your head.

[quote name='dothog']Hmm, sounds like the Wii will dock in the WIIU in a Satellaview-like manner. Or was it the other way around, I forget the specifics about the Satellaview. I just love the name and the look is adorably chunky. Japan gets all the good shit.

What's preventing you from "flat out saying it"? Are you protecting sources? Is someone in danger? Blink once if Shiggy has a gun to your head.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not something that's 100% guaranteed to happen. But I can say that you're getting closer, even though it won't require any external hardware (besides a Wii Remote, but we already knew those would be supported).

I'll take a (less ridiculous) shot at it: Transferring your WiiWare and Virtual Console games to the WiiU will require a physical connection.

I know there's going to be a transfer app released later this year for Wii that will probably work the same way the DSi to 3DS app worked, but that's not really what I'm talking about here.

WiiU will include, and require, use of an attached exercise bike power booster if you want to play your WiiWare and Virtual Console games.

[quote name='crunchewy']WiiU will include, and require, use of an attached exercise bike power booster if you want to play your WiiWare and Virtual Console games.[/QUOTE]

For Wii BC on the WIIU, all Wii titles must be played while standing on the Wii Fit peripheral. The users' weight must be shifted occasionally to notify the WIIU to remain powered on.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yes, it's an interesting guess, but Wii BC is going to happen. They want to "Fully Support the Wii with Wii U" I believe was the quote. That's probably the best hint I could give without flat out saying it.

I wish Nintendo would loosen the reigns on announcements though. I know they want to build hype, but a flood of games at once from every direction isn't it. A slow trickle of already announced games would help build the hype until E3.

At that point they could reveal their first party lineup for the first 6 months, third party games/ports, and unveil a bit about their online infrastructure (which I was told is going to happen).

EDIT:
This involves Virtual Console and Wii Ware games too. That's important.[/QUOTE]

Hmm . . . "fully support" . . . so Wii, VC, and WW games are playable on the new controller screen and the crazy part is that that's the only output it'll support.

[quote name='theflicker']Hmm . . . "fully support" . . . so Wii, VC, and WW games are playable on the new controller screen and the crazy part is that that's the only output it'll support.[/QUOTE]
Your crazy scenario is just crazy enough to be taken seriously. At least for me it is.

It would be a "workaround" of sorts for the need to upscale titles to 720p for the TV. 720 will supposedly be WIIU's resolution (at least I think I saw that somewhere). For VC games it's definitely possible.

However, limiting BC to the tablet would seriously gimp Wii titles to the point that I don't think it's realistic. How do you play 2P Wii Sports tennis, for instance, that way?

Normally guessing games aren't any fun, but this one's fun because Nintendo is Apple-like in their insistence on coupling a functionally retarded approach to an issue with a "why wouldn't we do it this way?" attitude.

[quote name='dothog']Your crazy scenario is just crazy enough to be taken seriously. At least for me it is.

It would be a "workaround" of sorts for the need to upscale titles to 720p for the TV. 720 will supposedly be WIIU's resolution (at least I think I saw that somewhere). For VC games it's definitely possible.

However, limiting BC to the tablet would seriously gimp Wii titles to the point that I don't think it's realistic. How do you play 2P Wii Sports tennis, for instance, that way?

Normally guessing games aren't any fun, but this one's fun because Nintendo is Apple-like in their insistence on coupling a functionally retarded approach to an issue with a "why wouldn't we do it this way?" attitude.[/QUOTE]
Motion play becomes stylus touch play! (NEW PLAY CONTROL!) Multiplayer requires multiple new controllers and a SNES multitap!

I agree, gotta love the Nintendo guessing game.

It would make sense for them to introduce another peripheral exclusively for Wii BC on the WIIU. Like a wiimote holster to allow "compatibility" with the WIIU tablet or some such thing.

That would be a very entertaining clusterfuck.

I'm beginning to think you haven't known all along, and we're being used as a crowdsourced thinktank for Nintendo. Spit it out, broseph!

If you're willing to verify that a guess is correct, then I don't understand why you don't just tell us. Either way you're telling us, just one way is a pain in the ass. LOL.

[quote name='crunchewy']If you're willing to verify that a guess is correct, then I don't understand why you don't just tell us. Either way you're telling us, just one way is a pain in the ass. LOL.[/QUOTE]

Cut Bro some slack. He's clearly in deep on the WIIU R&D team. We're gonna have to burn 4 good field agents just to get him out of Kyoto.

...and who the hell knows how we get him state-side. We haven't seen an operation like this since we closed the Berlin office.

[quote name='dothog']...and who the hell knows how we get him state-side. We haven't seen an operation like this since we closed the Berlin office.[/QUOTE]
I still can't believe you bastards did that. Do you know the hell Agent Carter went through working the Chemnitz profile? And Agent Berner? And for what? For all the information they gathered to rot in some vault while penny-pinching sons of bitches in Washington line up for the promotion circle-jerk because they solved the agency's "budget crisis"?

God damn bureaucrats. This'll come back to bite you in the ass one day, and pray to God I ain't around to see it.

Wow, I did not expect this thread to be so... lively?

To me, the most interesting thing about the upcoming generation across all three platforms is that Nintendo will have the easiest time convincing me to bite. Here's all it will take...

Let me run my VC and Wiiware games on the Wii U.
Let me use Wii Controllers to play them (CC Pro, sideways Wiimote, etc.)
Resume releasing VC titles at a rate of more than one a month.

Take my money Nintendo.

[quote name='Halo05']To me, the most interesting thing about the upcoming generation across all three platforms is that Nintendo will have the easiest time convincing me to bite. [/QUOTE]
That is a very interesting thing to you.

New thread direction: Where does the WIIU sit on CAG's list of bite-worthy objects?

I'd put it somewhere between black jellybeans and window-display sushi.

bread's done
Back