Wii U - General Discussion Thread

yeah, there's just no way Nintendo can jump right in with a service as slick as XBL or even Sony's which I don't like as much but it still works. I wouldn't mind them trying though even if they lag behind by a few years.

[quote name='Corvin']Are you talking a unified online service? Last E3 Reggie mentioned this. Every company/developer has to develop their own infrastructure for their games. Think PS2. Just like Nintendo do dive into 2001 headfirst. :lol:

Of course a lot can change in a year. We'll know soon enough.[/QUOTE]

smh

No Friend Codes
Unified Friends List (per account)
12 accounts per System (With letters this time)
Devs are required to use NiN account names like they're required to use the 1 3DS Friend Code
NiN account pages like on xbox.com (? - heard it was possible, may not actually happen)

Deal with it, Corvin. I suggest you pay attention for once.

I hope e3 gets me excited about the Wii U...as of right now it looks like I'll wait awhile before buying one.

[quote name='KingBroly']smh

No Friend Codes
Unified Friends List (per account)
12 accounts per System (With letters this time)
Devs are required to use NiN account names like they're required to use the 1 3DS Friend Code
NiN account pages like on xbox.com (? - heard it was possible, may not actually happen)

Deal with it, Corvin. I suggest you pay attention for once.[/QUOTE]

Deal with what? Listening the "the man" or a random internet poster? :lol:

I knew friend codes were gone. Multiple accounts is a non-issue. What does NiN stand for? Nintendo Network?

[quote name='Corvin']Deal with what? Listening the "the man" or a random internet poster? :lol:

I knew friend codes were gone. Multiple accounts is a non-issue. What does NiN stand for? Nintendo Network?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. But also keep in mind that I'm not just some random internet poster with these rumors. And no, Nintendo hasn't de-confirmed Friend Codes yet.

"Mario Wii U" was just confirmed for launch on Spike TV via Keighley promo. I'm guessing he wasn't supposed to say that.

Also heard that another launch title was coming from
Platinum Games

So is that the New Super Mario Bros game, or a 3D sequel?

Also, Platinum? That's high on my bs scale, right next to the weird Starfoxtroid rumor and the Blizzard nonsense.

[quote name='KingBroly']"Mario Wii U" was just confirmed for launch on Spike TV via Keighley promo. I'm guessing he wasn't supposed to say that.

Also heard that another launch title was coming from
Platinum Games
[/QUOTE]

Sorry if you've addressed this question already, but have you heard whether we'll be able to transfer virtual console games to the WiiU using a cable like the DS --> 3DS?

So, I bought a Wii for like $20. Was that a completely bonehead thing to do? I wanted to get one for VC/1st party games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jkam']I hope e3 gets me excited about the Wii U...as of right now it looks like I'll wait awhile before buying one.[/QUOTE]

QFT. A new Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U available at launch would be fucking awesome. That won't happen and neither will news on a new Zelda for the Wii U :cry: (hopefully I'm wrong)

New WiiU info - classic controller and tablet controller officially unveiled...

wiiupro530pxheaderimg513513.jpg

wii-u-proto.png

If anyone knows how to fight the zombies it's the elderly. Redesigned tablet gamepad looks good, and the not an xbox controller is sweet. I need to pre-order this thing.

Was anything interesting revealed at the pre-E3 briefing? I know I can watch the video but time isn't on my side.

[quote name='willardhaven']If they were going to ape a controller they could have picked the one that doesn't give you arthritis after a few hours of Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least they changed the d-pad. That's... something.

[quote name='Vinny']Was anything interesting revealed at the pre-E3 briefing? I know I can watch the video but time isn't on my side.

Well, at least they changed the d-pad. That's... something.[/QUOTE]

There's a thread about it, and yes.

- Wii U Pro Controller (it's a 360 controller, wireless, internal battery, and has Rumble)
- Miiverse
- User Interface Shown (It's swappable with Channels if you noticed right)
- Messaging/Photos/Video Chat
- Screenshot Functionality for every game
- Demon's Souls like hint system for every game
- Non Specific Action Figure
- New Super Mario World

The Conference is going to be dedicated to Wii U games.

[quote name='Javery']New WiiU info - classic controller and tablet controller officially unveiled...

wiiupro530pxheaderimg513513.jpg

[/QUOTE]

That classic controller is classic and in control. Need it in my life... Ooo wee ooo.

[quote name='Strell']Javery if you ever get a Wii U, can I call you up and call you grandpa?[/QUOTE]

This would make my day. I am probably closer to being a grandfather than I am to the year I graduated high school.

[quote name='Scobie']That classic controller is classic and in control. Need it in my life... Ooo wee ooo.[/QUOTE]

I also like the design but I think that they should switch the right stick and action buttons - if you are going to rip off the 360 controller at least get it right.

As someone who owned a Wii, the Wii U just pisses me the fuck off. It's essentially current-gen tech and Nintendo is going to be pushing it as "next-gen" and will likely sell quite a few...I hate what they are doing to gaming lately.

[quote name='Javery']This would make my day. I am probably closer to being a grandfather than I am to the year I graduated high school.

I also like the design but I think that they should switch the right stick and action buttons - if you are going to rip off the 360 controller at least get it right.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting there age-wise, too... but I'm goin' down swingin'!!!

Anyway, I think the controller lay out is fine. I'm more concerned about it having some heft to it unlike the lightweight Wii classic controller pro. The wireless guts, battery pack, and rumble mechanism (if true) should take care of that.

[quote name='SynGamer']As someone who owned a Wii, the Wii U just pisses me the fuck off. It's essentially current-gen tech and Nintendo is going to be pushing it as "next-gen" and will likely sell quite a few...I hate what they are doing to gaming lately.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way about 4 years ago, but I'm sick of watching a bobbing gun grind through brown-grey levels. The 3DS revitalized my flagging interest in gaming, and now I'm pretty excited for what the Wii U is going to do to bring fun and people and fun people together to have fun! Yeah!

[quote name='Vinny']
Well, at least they changed the d-pad. That's... something.[/QUOTE]

And dropped the horrendous octagon enclosure for the analog sticks.

[quote name='Javery']
I also like the design but I think that they should switch the right stick and action buttons - if you are going to rip off the 360 controller at least get it right.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that.

[quote name='SynGamer']As someone who owned a Wii, the Wii U just pisses me the fuck off. It's essentially current-gen tech and Nintendo is going to be pushing it as "next-gen" and will likely sell quite a few...I hate what they are doing to gaming lately.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad this thread title effectively tricked you.

Nintendo is Nintendo. The market is big and broad enough that if you want other experiences then there's plenty out there for you on the HD Twins or PC.

You've gotta just take it for what it is. I love me some Nintendo but I'm not going to force it. I thought the N64 and Wii were both crap with just a few shining moments thrown in there. So I found a way to play those awesome bits, skipped out on the rest and don't/won't keep either in my permanent collection.

It's just video games. Relax. Have fun.

[quote name='Javery']I also like the design but I think that they should switch the right stick and action buttons - if you are going to rip off the 360 controller at least get it right.[/QUOTE]

Gross. I really prefer the symmetrical analog sticks (a la Dualshock 3) and am glad Nintendo went this way. The 360 controller never really felt right in my hands. Pure preference, mind.

There's a good way to see if the Wii U Pro Controller will be uncomfortable or not. Get a 360 controller and hold your right thumb about half an inch above the ABYX buttons on it. Beta testing!

I watched the conference and it made me interested in nintendo at E3. The Pro controllers is what really made me more interested. Tells me that this system isnt going to always be about a gimmick. The Wii U Gaming Pad looks nice, i like the changed they made, especially the analog sticks. That controller would be really nice for a game where you would normally pause the game a lot to see where you are on a map. But the map could be seen on the controller screen while you play on the big screen.

The mario game they showed, thats new? I cant really tell the difference between that and new super mario bros. I never really played that game, since i sold my wii before that came out. If its new then i think thats a good direction. We just need a 2D zelda game like link to the past or four swords. If a 2D zelda game was announced it would really peak my interest in the console. Also a new Super Smash Bros game would be cool if they up the character count. It should be massive with how many characters nintendo has at their disposal, and then some 3rd party characters they could get in also.

So yeah, i went from not interested, to interested. We will see if that interest grows after nintendos conference.

[quote name='willardhaven']A new 2D Zelda with a focus on classic combat instead of stupid puzzles would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

A million times yes to this.

[quote name='willardhaven']A new 2D Zelda with a focus on classic combat instead of stupid and awesome puzzles would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you.

[quote name='Javery']Fixed that for you.[/QUOTE]

Let's put it this way: I want them to ditch the focus on puzzles.

The original 3 Zelda games are still the best for this reason alone.

Why the WiiU doesn't upcovert Wii games, I have no idea. Of course, there are things about this console that worries me. For one, it seems like the thought behind it was just "wouldn't it be cool to have a tablet device you could play your game on when the TV is off?" as the actual gameplay ideas involving the GamePad are not that amazing, so far, even from Nintendo.

Don't think I'm just another troll or "Imz a mature/hardcore gamer, Nintendo sux!" as I love Nintendo, but this console just isn't doing for me what the initial reveal of the Wii did.

[quote name='Javery']This would make my day. I am probably closer to being a grandfather than I am to the year I graduated high school.[/QUOTE]

OK, Javery, you and Strell have seriously depressed me. When I think in those terms I am WAY closer to being a grandpa than being in high school. It's not even a "probably" in my case. Let's see... High school was 20+ years ago and I have a 15 year-old daughter... Hmmm.... But I really don't feel that old!? How did 10 years get behind me like that?

Anyway...

[quote name='kidkash03']Why the WiiU doesn't upcovert Wii games, I have no idea. Of course, there are things about this console that worries me. For one, it seems like the thought behind it was just "wouldn't it be cool to have a tablet device you could play your game on when the TV is off?" as the actual gameplay ideas involving the GamePad are not that amazing, so far, even from Nintendo.

Don't think I'm just another troll or "Imz a mature/hardcore gamer, Nintendo sux!" as I love Nintendo, but this console just isn't doing for me what the initial reveal of the Wii did.[/QUOTE]

Upconverting is overblown IMO. I think the Wii U will just have Wii hardware built-in for BC, so it will play Wii games like a Wii would and that's fine with me.

I'm a little more excited for this than I was for the Wii to be honest. It may not be too far ahead (or ahead at all) of the PS3 and 360 but it is HD, and the tablet is way more interesting to me than pure motion controls. And oh yeah, there's Pikmin ;).

I'm sure we'll get some great new gameplay innovation from the tablet sooner or later. But the one person on tablet/multiple on Wii remotes mini game things are perfect for me and my little ones. I really hope they do the right thing and make Nintendo Land the pack-in game though.

Also, they need to get some sort of achievement/trophy system in place even if it is just a record of games you have played (maybe hours played which is sort of already built in to the Wii) tied to a personal account. I know the Miiverse thing hints at that a little. They could do some great stuff with coins (maybe they could unlock Mii clothing/expressions or something for your friends to see). Yeah, sure, gamerscore and trophies are total BS, but when push comes to shove, I'd rather play a game with them than without them. And they give bonus goals and extend fun on some games. It would give me the incentive to pick up multiplatform stuff on the Wii U which otherwise I probably won't be doing.

I think I'm going to preorder one of these things when I get the chance. But I'm not going to wait in line or anything to do that. If I can get a preorder at GS without any fuss (since I have some credit to burn there) then I'll do that. Otherwise I can wait it out a bit. At least we can transfer our Wiiware stuff - I almost dumped my launch Wii at Gamestop last week when they had the console trade-in bonus (it was $75 or $100 which is a lot for a Wii). I have 2 of them anyway so I would have loved to do that but I have several Virtual Console games on the older one (most of which I bought in the first 6 months of the Wii's cycle). I never play them, but there are some classics (Mario 64, etc). I guess I can wait and transfer those and then dump what will surely be a worthless Wii at that point ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
The "grandpa" comment was a joke with regard to the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct movie, although I knew at the time I posted as much that some people might not get that.

Nintendo never fails to satisfy players. Regardless if Nintendo didn't have enough "hardcore" titles, they still won this generation's console war. It's all about sales. They take risks and implement new, creative elements into gaming. Microsoft and Sony took years to release their own motion gaming devices in order to compete and try to steal some of Wii's appeal. Nintendo has learned from Wii's negative aspects and I know Wii U is going to be incredible. XBOX and ps3 just aren't reliable. Great looking games but faulty hardware. Gaming has to evolve and satisfy all levels of gamers because the portable gaming market via smartphones and tablets is steadily expanding and slowly stealing some of the console players. Every console needs to have something for everyone from now on in order to survive the evolution of technology.

[quote name='UnlockPotential']Nintendo never fails to satisfy players. Regardless if Nintendo didn't have enough "hardcore" titles, they still won this generation's console war. It's all about sales. They take risks and implement new, creative elements into gaming. Microsoft and Sony took years to release their own motion gaming devices in order to compete and try to steal some of Wii's appeal. Nintendo has learned from Wii's negative aspects and I know Wii U is going to be incredible. XBOX and ps3 just aren't reliable. Great looking games but faulty hardware. Gaming has to evolve and satisfy all levels of gamers because the portable gaming market via smartphones and tablets is steadily expanding and slowly stealing some of the console players. Every console needs to have something for everyone from now on in order to survive the evolution of technology.[/QUOTE]

Wow man, take off the blinders. Nintendo won this generation's hardware wars but at what cost? They are about to learn the meaning of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". All the soccer moms and casual gamers aren't going to buy a WiiU after buying a Wii as their first console - they probably won't even be able to figure out that it is a brand new system if that article on CNN.com is anything to go by.

Nintendo will always be my first love but it is getting harder and harder to justify spending money on them. If it wasn't for their first party titles (which other than Mario are mostly stale at this point) I hate to think where they would be. That said, since I love Nintendo I'm sure I'll buy a WiiU eventually but I fear that if they can't convince a lifetime fan to buy a system at launch how are they going to convince the masses in order to succeed? The whole thing just depresses me. /rant.

bread's done
Back