Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Drclaw411']I can't believe they haven't opened preorders yet.[/QUOTE]

Like people have mentioned before there will likely be a special event in August/September announcing the launch date and price of the console. That's when you'll start seeing preorders become available. At this point the only thing we know about the console is that it'll be out this Fall/Winter, not exactly a lot of information to preorder on.

[quote name='Corvin']That might be true if it weren't widely known and accepted that Nintendo builds on the cheap. Nintendo hasn't ever made a "high-end" anything. The closest is probably the Gamecube, as it was technically more powerful than the PS2, but even at that the Xbox eclipsed it.[/QUOTE]
I agree, but after the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube (Which were the most powerful spec-wise of their generation) lagged behind Sony's offerings, they went on the "graphics don't matter" bandwagon and reclaimed their title. Also, if Sony and Microsoft thinks they're going to release a $500-$600 console just to graphically blow Wii U out of the water, they're retarded if they think it's going to sell. And still, comparing 2012 budget/middle end GPU's to 2006 higher end GPU's, the 2012 GPU will still trump, if only by a margin, the 2006 GPU.

[quote name='ryuk1214']I agree, but after the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube (Which were the most powerful spec-wise of their generation) lagged behind Sony's offerings, they went on the "graphics don't matter" bandwagon and reclaimed their title. Also, if Sony and Microsoft thinks they're going to release a $500-$600 console just to graphically blow Wii U out of the water, they're retarded if they think it's going to sell. And still, comparing 2012 budget/middle end GPU's to 2006 higher end GPU's, the 2012 GPU will still trump, if only by a margin, the 2006 GPU.[/QUOTE]

More and more I'm starting to care less abacusut graphics. I mean unless you're going for photo-realistic anything from PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era forward is gonna look alright. It's not like we're stuck in PS1 era with super huge, eye gouging polygons...

I had the same attitude until I bought my first HDTV. The Wii was the first console I hooked up to it. It did not look good at all, but I shrugged it off. Then Skyward Sword was released a few months after that, and suddenly I understood what the fuss is about.

To be honest, it's not as though I didn't care about graphics with other Nintendo titles. As far back as ~2002, I had a modded component cable for the GC to give certain titles that extra graphical "oomph" (just hold down B at start). So looks matter. I had just forgotten how much it mattered until I saw Skyward Sword. I know it's a contentious title, but I don't think many would disagree that the art in that game is top notch (TOP NOTCH!). It got totally shafted by being stuck in hazy 480p.

I haven't seen the WIIU in person, but based on what I've seen in demos on TV and on the web, it doesn't look like they took the graphical step forward they should have. Part (perhaps all) of that may have to do with wanting to keep margins high and the pricetag at 300 or less -- i.e. the guts are cheap. They're gambling the tablet will make up for it.

[quote name='dothog']I had the same attitude until I bought my first HDTV. The Wii was the first console I hooked up to it. It did not look good at all, but I shrugged it off. Then Skyward Sword was released a few months after that, and suddenly I understood what the fuss is about.

To be honest, it's not as though I didn't care about graphics with other Nintendo titles. As far back as ~2002, I had a modded component cable for the GC to give certain titles that extra graphical "oomph" (just hold down B at start). So looks matter. I had just forgotten how much it mattered until I saw Skyward Sword. I know it's a contentious title, but I don't think many would disagree that the art in that game is top notch (TOP NOTCH!). It got totally shafted by being stuck in hazy 480p.

I haven't seen the WIIU in person, but based on what I've seen in demos on TV and on the web, it doesn't look like they took the graphical step forward they should have. Part (perhaps all) of that may have to do with wanting to keep margins high and the pricetag at 300 or less -- i.e. the guts are cheap. They're gambling the tablet will make up for it.[/QUOTE]
It's pretty much make a console that costs more than $400 and nobody will pick it up. They simply can't sell $600 consoles like they used to. If Sony and Microsoft were smart, they wouldn't give into the Wii U's pressure and wait until 2014/2015 to release their new consoles, that way they could make a console as good as the highest end PC 2012 has to offer for $300.

[quote name='ryuk1214']It's pretty much make a console that costs more than $400 and nobody will pick it up. [/QUOTE]

I think $400 is the magic barrier. Less than that is golden but more than that is a kiss of death.

[quote name='Corvin']I think $400 is the magic barrier. Less than that is golden but more than that is a kiss of death.[/QUOTE]

$250 launch price would be so, so epic

[quote name='Corvin']I think $400 is the magic barrier. Less than that is golden but more than that is a kiss of death.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's any way Wii U costs $400 at launch UNLESS the CPU gets clocked properly and turns out being a lot more powerful than once thought.

I personally think it'll cost $300 with Nintendo Land packed-in.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think there's any way Wii U costs $400 at launch UNLESS the CPU gets clocked properly and turns out being a lot more powerful than once thought.

I personally think it'll cost $300 with Nintendo Land packed-in.[/QUOTE]

Please dont remind me of Nintendo Land, lol. I wanted so much more from Nintendo at E3 than that poop.

[quote name='KingBroly']No...video game characters only.[/QUOTE]

Also, didn't they say in interviews that they had enough characters in SSB? It kinda suggests that there won't be new characters.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Also, didn't they say in interviews that they had enough characters in SSB? It kinda suggests that there won't be new characters.[/QUOTE]

Why do people get that impression.. What they SAID was the roster spot was sweet spot. AKA they will be removing people and replacing them with others...

Nintendo has this really weird obsession with limiting certain aspects of their software. I can't think of many reasons why you'd want to limit a fighting game roster.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Also, didn't they say in interviews that they had enough characters in SSB? It kinda suggests that there won't be new characters.[/QUOTE]

I think Sakurai said something more along the lines of 'just adding more characters is lazy.'

I'd personally Smash Bros. have 25 great characters instead of 35 good to okay ones with a few clones, like Brawl had.

What fighting game has had the most viable characters in terms of balanced roster? This is a legit question I should ask the FGT, but those people scare the SHIT out of me.

[quote name='Strell']What fighting game has had the most viable characters in terms of balanced roster? This is a legit question I should ask the FGT, but those people scare the SHIT out of me.[/QUOTE]

Guilty Gear Accent Core is the first to come to mind. And I think SF3: Third Strike was relatively balanced.

[quote name='itachiitachi']Well the 3ds is the ds 2 not 3. Also 3D already has it's own meaning when paired with electronics negating the it's numerical meaning, on the other hand I've never heard of a 2U movie or an U2 tv.[/QUOTE]

Eh, DS, DSi, 3DS. I know the differences are slight, but I believe they are there.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think there's any way Wii U costs $400 at launch UNLESS the CPU gets clocked properly and turns out being a lot more powerful than once thought.[/QUOTE]

I was speaking in general, not specifically the WiiU. $400 would be suicide for the WiiU.

The 360 did gangbusters at $400 and when the PS3 finally dropped that low, that's when it started to take off.

[quote name='Corvin']I was speaking in general, not specifically the WiiU. $400 would be suicide for the WiiU.

The 360 did gangbusters at $400 and when the PS3 finally dropped that low, that's when it started to take off.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say the 360 did gangbusters at $400. Just better than PS3 when it was $600. Not to mention the RRoD crap, which will undoubtedly be on everyone's mind when 720 launches.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think there's any way Wii U costs $400 at launch UNLESS the CPU gets clocked properly and turns out being a lot more powerful than once thought.

I personally think it'll cost $300 with Nintendo Land packed-in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, $400 would be suicide, especially with the lowered-expectations they seem to be putting out for the power of the system. The notion they keep pushing is that it won't be high-end because it needs to be affordable. To me, that makes $300 the absolute upper limit - and even that is pushing it.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Please dont remind me of Nintendo Land, lol. I wanted so much more from Nintendo at E3 than that poop.[/QUOTE]

Hey, $250 with Nintendo Land as a pack-in would be just fine with me. That game looks like it would be some great fun for me and the kids - as long as I don't have to buy it separately that is.

I've been expecting $300 for quite awhile. Dunno if there will be a game included but I can't see tons of people grabbing Nintendo Land as a separate title so it makes good sense as a pack-in.

[quote name='KingBroly']I wouldn't say the 360 did gangbusters at $400. Just better than PS3 when it was $600. Not to mention the RRoD crap, which will undoubtedly be on everyone's mind when 720 launches.[/QUOTE]

12 mil in 18 months on top of having supply problems the first few months is pretty solid for a $400 machine w/o a system selling launch title.

[quote name='Corvin']12 mil in 18 months on top of having supply problems the first few months is pretty solid for a $400 machine w/o a system selling launch title.[/QUOTE]

XBL is quite the compelling feature. I wonder how the 360 would have been perceived if it sold well in Japan. The Wii blew past the 360 in world wide sales in about a year, but took much longer to pass the 360 in the US and the EU.

However, considering all of the hardware issues Microsoft has basically subsidized two generations of game systems. But if the goal was to break into the market, that was accomplished and whatever they bring out with "Durango" has a better chance of standing on its own.

[quote name='Corvin']12 mil in 18 months on top of having supply problems the first few months is pretty solid for a $400 machine w/o a system selling launch title.[/QUOTE]

I never heard of or saw any supply constraint issues with the 360 beyond the first 4 months. By March of 06, they were readily available in most stores in my area. Microsoft stuffed the chains to get that many to get to their magical 'first to 10 million wins' mark, and all of them were defective.

So 4 months is not the same as "first few months?" :lol:

I was tasked with tracking them down for friends/family for the first first months, like I said, because they were hard to find. I had a couple of friends buy the core + a hard drive because the Premiums were scarce.

[quote name='Corvin']So 4 months is not the same as "first few months?" :lol:

I was tasked with tracking them down for friends/family for the first first months, like I said, because they were hard to find. I had a couple of friends buy the core + a hard drive because the Premiums were scarce.[/QUOTE]

No, after the initial months, the 360 really hasn't been hard to find. PS3's were readily available by Christmas since no one wanted them.

The WiiU is going to be coming out against entrenched competition. And we've already seen how the current market is reacting to the 3DS and Vita. A low price is going to be necessary for the WiiU if they want to establish an early user base for the system. Microsoft and Sony have actually done Nintendo a favor here, by keeping the average console price above $250. By this point in previous console cycles, all the systems would be dipping down into the $100 range.

If the WiiU launches higher than $300, Nintendo will be facing another 3DS scenario. (the market backlash will be savage, and they will be forced to cut the price inside of 6 months) While the WiiU provides some very interesting possibilities for game development, it is hard to imagine that there will be as much initial demand for the system. The Wii came out as a more affordable and family-friendly alternative to the 360 and PS3. The WiiU will have none of those advantages. Microsoft is pushing the family aspects of the 360 hard with the Kinect, and Sony can still sell the PS3 as a media box. And both of them have competitively priced models under $300.

I know there's not going to be any events near me which is unfortunate but I'll be looking forward to what others have to say as I'm still not 100% on this system (leaning towards picking one up but want to know a little more + the price before I decide)

I think discussions here really prove why the next generation of consoles are going to have a tough time of it. As others said, people weren't ready to pay a lot for the next generation portable, and it is a bellwether to the console makers that people aren't going to spend a lot for the next generation. People are going to complain that the consoles aren't more powerful, but they aren't willing to pay more than the current generation is currently selling for. It is why I think Nintendo is being very cagy about the price for the new console, because they don't want to make the mistake of the 3DS and set the price wrong.

I still can't understand why people expect Sony to take major losses, if any, once their next console losses, especially since they don't have the bank to do so. Do they not realize that it'd basically bankrupt the company? Especially since Sony is really counting the PS brand to put them in the black? I also find it troubling that some demand Microsoft and Sony take losses when selling hardware, even though the point of business is to make money.

[quote name='KingBroly']I still can't understand why people expect Sony to take major losses, if any, once their next console losses, especially since they don't have the bank to do so. Do they not realize that it'd basically bankrupt the company? Especially since Sony is really counting the PS brand to put them in the black? I also find it troubling that some demand Microsoft and Sony take losses when selling hardware, even though the point of business is to make money.[/QUOTE]

It is why I think Sony will be the last console maker to enter the next generation. I don't think they are in a hurry to replace the PS3, since it probably is actually making them money now. I can see Microsoft doing it, because their goals are much bigger than just gaming. Microsoft has wanted an everything box for the living room for a long time, and I assume that whatever new console they produce will be with that goal in mind.

Sony would be foolish to make a new console when they could add PS2 functionality and a budget price to the PS3 and make bank.

The Wii U is going to have an uphill battle this time and MS will have its U.S. "I'm too lazy to run a cable from my PC" crowd, but will still take a loss overall.

I think Microsoft will have a much tougher battle than people think next generation. Their moves right now are pretty alienating to a lot people, plus even though they're winning monthly NPD's, they're not making significant grounds into the marketplace, while losing ground to Apple at every other front.

[quote name='MoCiWe']I know there's not going to be any events near me which is unfortunate but I'll be looking forward to what others have to say as I'm still not 100% on this system (leaning towards picking one up but want to know a little more + the price before I decide)[/QUOTE]

I was not able to make it to the DC event at 3pm today. I rsvp'ed on 7/6 but they changed venues to 1.5 miles away when I got there. They did not even sent out an email. I was not willing walk 1.5 miles in 90 degree heat to play unfinished games or another port of an old game for 30 minutes and went home.

[quote name='nixmahn']I was not able to make it to the DC event at 3pm today. I rsvp'ed on 7/6 but they changed venues to 1.5 miles away when I got there. They did not even sent out an email. I was not willing walk 1.5 miles in 90 degree heat to play unfinished games or another port of an old game for 30 minutes and went home.[/QUOTE]

They did send out e-mails with the updated location last Monday.

Anyways, I made a blog post about my experience there:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=24418

[quote name='KingBroly']I still can't understand why people expect Sony to take major losses, if any, once their next console losses, especially since they don't have the bank to do so. Do they not realize that it'd basically bankrupt the company? Especially since Sony is really counting the PS brand to put them in the black? I also find it troubling that some demand Microsoft and Sony take losses when selling hardware, even though the point of business is to make money.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone demands any such thing. I think the problem is that since the previous consoles took losses by building super machines, to come out now with a machine barely better than last gen(which is very plausible if they don't take losses) and expect people to pay $300-$400 for it, it just won't fly. They are stuck in this model because of their own doing, not because gamers "demanded" it.

Of course by extending this generation beyond 5 years is going to help alleviate that "problem" on their end.

I also think this is why Nintendo is being cagey with their price. The WiiU barely looks better than a PS3 or 360, so $300 is a hard sell. Of course the gimmicky controller and first party titles will help push some over that hump.

From what I've seen, people seem to believe that bleeding edge tech next generation will still allow Sony/MS to make a profit on their hardware from Day 1, and that's just not happening, especially from Sony.

And I don't agree about them being cagey about the price in regards to generational leaps or potential lack thereof. They're just waiting for it to be as cheap as possible to start manufacturing it for maximizing margins. They probably also want to see if they can get Nintendoland packed-in in North America and Europe, so they're waiting for costs to come down.

Anyway, I'm going to Atlanta this weekend to see what it's all about anyway.

Have fun at the event, KingBroly. It's a good time.

I got the most fun out of Scribblenauts and Rayman - much more so than the first party offerings. And the cotton candy is good too.

I didn't realize Scribblenauts would be there. I'll give it a whirl I guess.

Strangely enough, I'm looking most forward to playing Nintendoland, as well as Project P-100.

[quote name='Corvin']I don't think anyone demands any such thing. I think the problem is that since the previous consoles took losses by building super machines, to come out now with a machine barely better than last gen(which is very plausible if they don't take losses) and expect people to pay $300-$400 for it, it just won't fly. They are stuck in this model because of their own doing, not because gamers "demanded" it.

Of course by extending this generation beyond 5 years is going to help alleviate that "problem" on their end.

I also think this is why Nintendo is being cagey with their price. The WiiU barely looks better than a PS3 or 360, so $300 is a hard sell. Of course the gimmicky controller and first party titles will help push some over that hump.[/QUOTE]

And that's why there is a lot of push from both sides, publishers like Ubisoft and Epic want new systems for new IP launches to drive day 1 sales. Some (more vocal) fans want new systems sooner rather than later (5 years or less) even though there is no reason for it (except they expect biggest and best, since they can do that with their PC's as long as they put $2000-3000 into it, in the same amount of time to keep it on that cutting edge)

The hardware manufacturers can't pump out new systems every few years due to the millions in R&D behind them and would prefer to ride out the hardware cycles as long as possible due to not making a profit on the system from day 1 (with the exception of Nintendo)

So right now you're seeing a massive collision of opinions on what should be done, the vocal minority of gamers want a new system now since consoles aren't keeping up with PC's (and never will) some publishers want to launch new IP, but are too scared to do it without a new system launch to secure sales (with makes no damn sense, when you already have a built in base already there for the new games, but then again that's Ubisoft's president talking) or they want to launch a new gfx engine to make money on and sell that and need new systems to drive that product (the only reason why Epic keeps banging that drum over and over, yes Mr. Capps and Mr. Bleszinski, we totally understand where you're coming from...) there was no real reason for hardware cycles to be 5 years unless you launched an underpowered piece of hardware. (Nintendo take a bow)

But who does that all benefit, the regular player, no, not really, we've already put our money down for games and systems, and most of us would like to have 10 years to enjoy our product (even though the way things are going 7-8 years seems more likely for a realistic hardware cycle) and keep playing games on it.

I keep hearing/reading people (again vocal minority) about needing this bleeding edge tech in the new systems, like its going to be some golden age of gaming nirvana if they could only get new hardware. Which is crap, all signs right now point to nicer looking, faster playing (60fps) games that we've all been playing for the past 6 years. But not the generational leap that they keep expecting, and honestly if tomorrow they could play lifelike gfx on a new machine where does that leave game maker and console manufactures, where do you go from there, it HAS to be NEW experiences, otherwise what's the point if you can't go any further graphically...

To see all of these pundits rattling chains and saying all of these things, this is something that is just ignorant, self indulgent and selfish due to what I've already pointed out, no one has any interest in these things, only they care about their own self-interests which in turn leads to them indulging in these comments.

The games are becoming to expensive to make these uncanny valley games everyone dreams of (which frankly some games being released on the current hardware are coming pretty close), but what is the next step, that's where gaming needs to go, not the same paradigm that we've been seeing for 25+ years. Nintendo thought it had the formula with the Wii and motion gaming and we've seen how successful that wasn't.

PC gaming is back on the rise thanks to DRM being available that people can stomach (Steam), but the experiences being the same and graphics only mostly being slightly enhanced playing on PC isn't the answer either.

The new system Wii U doesn't do much different to push gaming, I suspect that unless someone finds something that pushes us towards that holodeck type exp. that Star Trek promised or the implant thing that Sony prognosticated with the PS9 (in the fake commercial) that gaming will either have to scale back or find something else to survive.

I'm not saying I have the answer for any of this, I'm just sitting back and watching this unfold from all sides and with the prevailing attitudes being either leave it at status quo or bigger, badder, better. Who's to say which is right.

But one thing is correct KingBroly hit it on the head, to expect, nay demand that Sony and MS take a hit so we can have these future proofed systems is silly. Especially when some of those same people then start to complain and whine about wanting something new and better when they where told to begin with that these future proofed systems will last 10 years.

Until then I just keep sitting back and waiting to see what's coming next. But even the seasoned pros at Nintendo still haven't seemed to have found the answer either on what to do, so who knows...

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, there was an editorial on RPS yesterday kinda on that subject.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/02/photorealism-and-the-confusing-myths-of-innovation/

Personally, I think we've reached a point where console hardware is "good enough" for most people. I don't know that for most people that simple hardware refresh is going to be a strong selling point, especially if all we are getting are rehashes of the same games we have always gotten.

I at least respect Nintendo for trying to find new ways to use their console, to discover more novel ways of gaming. (I refuse to call them gimmicks, because I do think that these things have value.) At the very least, we will probably get more experimentation with asymetric gameplay than we have in the past, and that certainly would be a change. Whether it ends up being better is an open question.

[quote name='uncle5555']
So right now you're seeing a massive collision of opinions on what should be done, the vocal minority of gamers want a new system now since consoles aren't keeping up with PC's (and never will) some publishers want to launch new IP, but are too scared to do it without a new system launch to secure sales (with makes no damn sense, when you already have a built in base already there for the new games, but then again that's Ubisoft's president talking)
[/QUOTE]

It actually makes perfect sense. It's easier to build a new IP/franchise with a smaller user base than releasing a game today where there are multiple game releases weekly. New IPs get lost in the flood of Marios, Halos, CoDs clogging up the release schedule.

[quote name='uncle5555']
PC gaming is back on the rise thanks to DRM being available that people can stomach (Steam), but the experiences being the same and graphics only mostly being slightly enhanced playing on PC isn't the answer either. [/QUOTE]

Hmm, seems pretty simplistic to say that's the only reason. PCs are cheaper than ever right now. Like it or not, current gen is outdated and yeah people are switching more to PC releases because of that as well. Look at Cheapy for an example.

[quote name='uncle5555']
The new system Wii U doesn't do much different to push gaming, I suspect that unless someone finds something that pushes us towards that holodeck type exp. that Star Trek promised or the implant thing that Sony prognosticated with the PS9 (in the fake commercial) that gaming will either have to scale back or find something else to survive. [/QUOTE]

This isn't meant as a negative, but that's a typical stance to take. It's the same stance people took prior to this gen. Xbox and PS2 look realistic enough, why do we need something better? I remember reading that many times all those years ago.

I'm of the belief that people have to be shown next-gen for them to process the "why." So until MS or Sony starts sharing next gen footage it's silly to dismiss next-gen consoles as unnecessary.

[quote name='Corvin']Hmm, seems pretty simplistic to say that's the only reason. PCs are cheaper than ever right now. Like it or not, current gen is outdated and yeah people are switching more to PC releases because of that as well. Look at Cheapy for an example. [/quote]

Actually, the stagnation of the tech curve on PCs because of consoles has probably helped make PC gaming more attractive. There is no longer a continual race to upgrade PC components so that you can play the latest games. When it used to be a PC build would only last 2-3 years before there is a desire to upgrade, you can now go 5-6 years with a build, and sometimes longer.

The main attraction for PCs right now isn't as much about technology, but price and the proliferation of "indy" games. Course, I'm waiting for Microsoft to kill that golden goose. when the original Xbox came out, I thought it would be good for PC gaming. Unfortunately, Microsoft has different ideas about that.

This isn't meant as a negative, but that's a typical stance to take. It's the same stance people took prior to this gen. Xbox and PS2 look realistic enough, why do we need something better? I remember reading that many times all those years ago.

I'm of the belief that people have to be shown next-gen for them to process the "why." So until MS or Sony starts sharing next gen footage it's silly to dismiss next-gen consoles as unnecessary.

Personally, I still think the PS2 is good enough for most games. When I bought a PS3, it was really only for a relatively small selection of games. The main selling point for me was to have a bluray player and to stream media to my TV.

While Sly looks slightly better on the PS3, both versions play the same. It didn't give me a strong desire to upgrade to HD.

I also have enough games to play that there is no real need to buy another console. If you are just giving me the same game experience with prettier graphics, what's the point?

CAG needs to filter "asymmetric gameplay" the same way they do fuck. It's meaningless jargon as it describes a co-op experience that we've known for a long time -- furthermore the term can represent just about anything. It's only being tossed around by Nintendo PR because it is all they have at this point. Had they beat the iPad to the punch, they'd instead be focusing on tablet and touch. They're going to have to work harder if they want the WIIU tablet to appear as novel a gameplay controller/experience as motion control was back in 2006.

And on the "graphics are good enough as is" argument, I said something similar moving from the GC to the Wii. Whoops, I didn't anticipate HD graphics. I understand Nintendo wants big margins and so the guts of the WIIU suffer, and I know they gotta make fat stacks, but they should've trimmed the margins just a bit to allow for 1080-capable internals. 720 is too much of a baby step, it's half-assed given that they know this HD bullshit matters. Why put it off further, it's just going to continue to detract from your titles relative to those of your competitors? It's too late now, it's just one of those little things that detracts from the whole.

[quote name='dothog']CAG needs to filter "asymmetric gameplay" the same way they do fuck. It's meaningless jargon as it describes a co-op experience that we've known for a long time -- furthermore the term can represent just about anything. It's only being tossed around by Nintendo PR because it is all they have at this point. Had they beat the iPad to the punch, they'd instead be focusing on tablet and touch. They're going to have to work harder if they want the WIIU tablet to appear as novel a gameplay controller/experience as motion control was back in 2006.[/quote]

If you actually played the WiiU, you'd know how they use that term, because it is pretty clear.

As for the novelty, I don't get the comparisons to tablets. A more appropriate comparison is to the DS, which in its basic form it is very comparable. The question comes, what benefits outiside of that does it have? Asymentric gameplay is one thing. Having the controller screen seperate from the main screen is another, which in combination with the camera can have them interact with each other. I expect most early games will probably be implemented similar to the DS, because it is a very mature platform and developers know how to develop for it. I expect the more experimental aspects to take more time.

And on the "graphics are good enough as is" argument, I said something similar moving from the GC to the Wii. Whoops, I didn't anticipate HD graphics. I understand Nintendo wants big margins and so the guts of the WIIU suffer, and I know they gotta make fat stacks, but they should've trimmed the margins just a bit to allow for 1080-capable internals. 720 is too much of a baby step, it's half-assed given that they know this HD bullshit matters. Why put it off further, it's just going to continue to detract from your titles relative to those of your competitors? It's too late now, it's just one of those little things that detracts from the whole.

How many of the games on the PS3 and 360 leverage 1080? Not a huge amount. Also, I think for most people they won't see much difference with 1080 because you don't really get the benefit unless you have a screen size of 50" or more. I doubt many people know which games are 720 or 1080, or even care.

How could one not anticipate HD going from the GCN to the Wii? The original xbox was HD, and there was plenty of vitriol when Nintendo announced the Wii wouldn't be HD.

As for resolution, most current gen games are 720p because of hardware limitations. Pump out some new "beefy" consoles and 1080p will be the standard. :)

I can't see people upgrading just for HD. I still watch DVDs, and they look fine. A tiny bit grainy at times, but it's miles ahead of watching staticky broadcast channels growing up.

[quote name='elessar123']I can't see people upgrading just for HD. I still watch DVDs, and they look fine. A tiny bit grainy at times, but it's miles ahead of watching staticky broadcast channels growing up.[/QUOTE]

And that is a perfect analogy. You're fine with DVD because that's what you're used to. Own a BD player & get an HD signal for a few months and you won't want to go back.

bread's done
Back