Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition $39.99 @ newegg/amazon

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261376
http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Gran-Turismo-XL-sony-playstation3/dp/B006JKARN0

Just a heads up encase anyone is thinking of getting Gran Turismo 5, to hold off.

Releasing on 1/17/11
Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition Contents

• Original Gran Turismo 5 game, featuring more than 1,000 cars, 20+ locations with 70+ track layouts, diverse racing styles including rally, track, karting, NASCAR, and more, deep online community features and online racing, plus Gran Turismo TV, Course Maker and more.
  • All of the new and improved features and functionality from all free downloadable game updates up through Spec 2.0 included on the disc.
  • Voucher good for over $20 worth of DLC Content, including the Racing Car Pack, Car Pack 2, Course Pack, Racing Gear Pack, and Paint Pack.
6644312151_0e1957df77_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pun123']I bet its the regular edition with the new Spec 2.0 DLC.[/QUOTE]

So, it's the same game with a couple more skylines. Sweet!

If its the same thing as the one being released in Japan then its GT5 with the Spec 2.0 DLC and the latest update already on the disc

I was wondering why every store seemed to be going OOS on GT5. I was seconds away from buying it from amazon the other day at $30, now glad it went OOS before I could complete it. Got Deux Ex Augmented instead (needed to reach $100 for the promo).

I guess this also means we might see the original GT5 clearanced at Target for ~$12-25 soon. It's been on sale for $29 a few times in the past few weeks.

Regular edition is barely worth $15

I got it a little while after it came out, traded some old games in and that's close to how much it cost me out of pocket.

I was so bored with the game I can't even explain it in words. Let's put it this way: 90% of the time you're watching load screens or going through menus trying to determine if you have the right car for an event. 10% of the time then you "race", and by that I mean drive around a track with other drivers and hope that your car is better than the opponents. You either lose by 10 seconds or win by 10 seconds.

[quote name='b1rdman']Regular edition is barely worth $15

I got it a little while after it came out, traded some old games in and that's close to how much it cost me out of pocket.

I was so bored with the game I can't even explain it in words. Let's put it this way: 90% of the time you're watching load screens or going through menus trying to determine if you have the right car for an event. 10% of the time then you "race", and by that I mean drive around a track with other drivers and hope that your car is better than the opponents. You either lose by 10 seconds or win by 10 seconds.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you're terrible at racing games and expected them to play for you.

You were probably looking for Forza. GT5 is a sim, not an arcade racer like that other "sim".

[quote name='Slowdance']It sounds like you're terrible at racing games and expected them to play for you.

You were probably looking for Forza. GT5 is a sim, not an arcade racer like that other "sim".[/QUOTE]
Are you seriously calling forza a arcade racer??

[quote name='Slowdance']It sounds like you're terrible at racing games and expected them to play for you.

You were probably looking for Forza. GT5 is a sim, not an arcade racer like that other "sim".[/QUOTE]

lol excuse me for disliking the game. I know it's a "sim", and I was not terrible at it. In fact, prior to getting it I had gt5 prologue and got gold in every race but one.

The game is just disappointing in numerous ways, and not all that fun to me.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Are you seriously calling forza a arcade racer??[/QUOTE]

Yes. The physics are a joke and there are assists that you can't even disable. Read between the lines in any interview with T10, and they are basically saying that the feel of going fast is more important than realistic physics or creating a challenge.

Its a fun game, but its a game built for a controller rather than a wheel, and much too diluted to be called a sim.

If Forza is an arcade racer, what do you call NFS and the rest? Arcade X2?

Gran Turismo 5 wasn't much fun to me, either. It was a huge grind. I'm not going to go for those licenses. I don't want to race in my souped up little Honda because I can't afford to switch to a better car and so much was already pumped into it. I even had the Logitech Wheel, which helped some, but even that couldn't stave off how boring it was. So many loading screens for hundreds of cars I don't care about (how many GT-R's do we need, while having ZERO Firebirds? GTO's? Nice to see American cars matter, Polyphony). Forza 3 and 4 are both much better GAMES, and not much worse as a sim.

I'm still passing this up :/ Maybe rebuy it at

I agree gt5 is a great sim. If you love the chance to experience real driving, tuning every little detail of a car to take off milliseconds off a lap record thus is it. Basically if you are a hardcore car lover, gear head and car tuner this is for you. If you are not a gear head and just want to get into a watever super car and take it 200 mph and bump all over the place this isn't for you.

[quote name='Mongoose07']Gran Turismo 5 wasn't much fun to me, either. It was a huge grind. I'm not going to go for those licenses. I don't want to race in my souped up little Honda because I can't afford to switch to a better car and so much was already pumped into it. I even had the Logitech Wheel, which helped some, but even that couldn't stave off how boring it was. So many loading screens for hundreds of cars I don't care about (how many GT-R's do we need, while having ZERO Firebirds? GTO's? Nice to see American cars matter, Polyphony). Forza 3 and 4 are both much better GAMES, and not much worse as a sim.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I'm getting this for free. Now I can check out the features.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I was curious what kind of game I would be getting from House Party so now its good to have any idea. Along with a price in case I decide to sell it.

That's hilarious.
You're questioning his skill and then blatantly put yourself into questionable position by calling Forza an arcade game.
Default options are set to make you cruise easily through the tracks but turn off bunch of assists and you're dealing with a real sim here, some would say "the sim".
Dig deeper next time.
GT5 feels a bit too stuck in the past the way it handles everything (not the actual driving, it's quite realistic).
Love both games though.

[quote name='xcefkevin']Yep. I was curious what kind of game I would be getting from House Party so now its good to have any idea. Along with a price in case I decide to sell it.[/QUOTE]

I probably won't sell it. I'll give it a try, I just don't knew when. I think next week is the last week for points though.

[quote name='vic_x51']I agree gt5 is a great sim. If you love the chance to experience real driving, tuning every little detail of a car to take off milliseconds off a lap record thus is it. Basically if you are a hardcore car lover, gear head and car tuner this is for you. If you are not a gear head and just want to get into a watever super car and take it 200 mph and bump all over the place this isn't for you.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I am a hardcore car lover. I literally dump most of my paycheck that doesn't go to games into cars (it's nice being dependent on parents while I'm in college). GT5 had such unrealistic tuning that it was a joke. When you put out $6,000 on a Turbo that pumps out 25 HP gains, let me know. It was so heavily skewed towards Japanese cars (Not necessarily bad, but Forza 4 covers a much wider, less focused basis), and heavily bogged down in menus and installs.

I'm glad you still enjoyed it, power to you, but Gran Turismo 5 is a shadow of what that series used to be and represents nearly all the flaws in current Japanese game development.

still not understanding why everytime either forza or gt5 are mentioned, it turns into a fanboy war...

if your a car guy and have both systems, chances are you'd get both games... i'm even a mod on the forza site, but i still have respect for the gt series, it's what got me into the racing genre. but people tend to argue every time one of these games is mentioned

[quote name='Hoss360']still not understanding why everytime either forza or gt5 are mentioned, it turns into a fanboy war...

if your a car guy and have both systems, chances are you'd get both games... i'm even a mod on the forza site, but i still have respect for the gt series, it's what got me into the racing genre. but people tend to argue every time one of these games is mentioned[/QUOTE]

I have both and each has their pros and cons but you gotta love watching Fanbois Tennis. :applause:

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Totally agree. GT5 is such a grind, it's not even funny. Cash is so tight it feels like we are in a recession. Even though we are, I don't like to feel like that in my games. The menu system is so busy and slow, it just makes me wanna pull my hair out. I have Foza 1-4 and none of them have these flaws. GT5 might be slightly more sim at the limit but the whole package just isn't fun. If memory serves me right, I remember GT1,2,3 were much more fun and less grind.

I will rebuy it only when it hits

[quote name='Rodster']I have both and each has their pros and cons but you gotta love watching Fanbois Tennis. :applause:[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fanboy, man. I own more PS3 systems (lol) and games than my 360, and I owned a 360 first. I even spent more on GT5 than most people, with that silly Logitech Wheel. Call it buyer's remorse or whatever, but I'm trying to warn people away from my mistake.

Ok... question... what exactly DOES this one have that the vanilla one doesn't? Could somebody point me to some actual, detailed comparisons?

We've gotten GT5 checked out from the library a few times (yay for a library with games!), and I downloaded 2.02 (?) for it recently...

We haven't had a lot of time with the game so I'm not sure what's actually already in the current game as opposed to the new XL game...

Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition Contents
  • Original Gran Turismo 5 game, featuring more than 1,000 cars, 20+ locations with 70+ track layouts, diverse racing styles including rally, track, karting, NASCAR, and more, deep online community features and online racing, plus Gran Turismo TV, Course Maker and more.All of the new and improved features and functionality from all free downloadable game updates up through Spec 2.0 included on the disc.
  • Voucher good for over $20 worth of DLC content, including the Racing Car Pack, Car Pack 2, Course Pack, Racing Gear Pack, and Paint Pack.
is the bold bit the only NEW stuff I'd be getting?

I finally bought it from Target 3 days ago ($40) for his birthday... so should I take it back and hold out?

Also, would it do anything to his currently saved game to switch up? You wouldn't think so, but....

[quote name='Zarathos']
is the bold bit the only NEW stuff I'd be getting?

I finally bought it from Target 3 days ago ($40) for his birthday... so should I take it back and hold out?

Also, would it do anything to his currently saved game to switch up? You wouldn't think so, but....[/QUOTE]

Yes (several DLC packs worth something like $20-$25).

Yes (XL Edition will also be $40, and you can get from Amazon or Newegg to save on tax).

No (save games from vanilla GT5 are confirmed to work on the XL Edition; it's really just the same game with updates on disc).

Spec 2.0 is a free update for all GT5 owners. However, if hard drive space matters to you, Spec 2.0 is included on the disc for the XL Edition, whereas for the regular version it is stored on your hard drive in the form of an update.

The DLC is essentially what you would be getting that you don't already have. I would take it back, seeing as how you paid the same price for the regular version as the XL version is going to cost, and the XL Edition comes with $20 of DLC.

You get a $20 DLC voucher and a whole years worth of patches on disc without needing to download them (saves you hard drive space). That is the only difference between the vanilla version and the XL.

Edit:
The XL Edition will also feature a new reversible inside coversheet featuring the new Red Bull X2011 supercar, to add a different look to your game library shelf.
6644312229_8f0874e67d.jpg

We've gotten GT5 checked out from the library a few times (yay for a library with games!), and I downloaded 2.02 (?) for it recently...
You can rent PS3 games at the library now like GT5 o_O?

BTW Gran Turismo is WAY improved from what it was when it came out. Easier to get money, Cars now have cockpit view even if they aren't premium, online dealer etc...The latest updates have made this game Perfect IMO.

Dang... back to Target for a return... guess I'll give my son a picture of the game and tell him he gets it next week... heh

Thanks for all the replies to my questions...

I really like the reverse cover art. Wish more games would do that. So far we have what 4?

[quote name='Mongoose07']Gran Turismo 5 wasn't much fun to me, either. It was a huge grind. I'm not going to go for those licenses. I don't want to race in my souped up little Honda because I can't afford to switch to a better car and so much was already pumped into it. I even had the Logitech Wheel, which helped some, but even that couldn't stave off how boring it was. So many loading screens for hundreds of cars I don't care about (how many GT-R's do we need, while having ZERO Firebirds? GTO's? Nice to see American cars matter, Polyphony). Forza 3 and 4 are both much better GAMES, and not much worse as a sim.

Since it says "voucher" for $20 worth of online DLC is there any chance it will show as a $20 PSN credit and then be good towards anything?

[quote name='kinney_bmx']I really like the reverse cover art. Wish more games would do that. So far we have what 4?[/QUOTE]

Ico Collection, Resistance 3, and Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are others. I like it as well.

[quote name='todrigo']Since it says "voucher" for $20 worth of online DLC is there any chance it will show as a $20 PSN credit and then be good towards anything?[/QUOTE]
I seriously doubt it. I'm sure it's just a voucher for the dlc, that's worth $20

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Just had to interject that if you have both a PS3 and 360, Forza 4 absolutely destroys GT5. lol[/QUOTE]At the very least list a few reasons to convince us why it's so much better. Otherwise your statement carries little to no weight.

bread's done
Back