Ticked bout my taxes....

gpgorbosjr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
IRS kept estimating Feb 8th I'd get my check. Then the 7th they change it to 6 weeks after return accepted (2-3 more weeks).

I wanna buy a PS3 :(

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']IRS kept estimating Feb 8th I'd get my check. Then the 7th they change it to 6 weeks after return accepted (2-3 more weeks).

I wanna buy a PS3 :([/QUOTE]

They won't even tell me about my return... every time I check the website, it's 'we're sorry, we have no information for you'. I e-filed it 10 days ago with direct deposit. I thought I'd have it by now. I wish I at least knew something... :bomb:

[quote name='DuelLadyS']They won't even tell me about my return... every time I check the website, it's 'we're sorry, we have no information for you'. I e-filed it 10 days ago with direct deposit. I thought I'd have it by now. I wish I at least knew something... :bomb:[/QUOTE]

IRS sucks...

[quote name='dohdough']You guys know that the IRS has been experiencing delays right? Its at the top of the refund schedule page.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I figured that when my rebate went from 3 weeks to 6 they were experiencing delays.....

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']IRS sucks...[/QUOTE]I'm sure other countries will be happy to have you and your income, if you'd like to move to another country. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm sure other countries will be happy to have you and your income, if you'd like to move to another country. ;)[/QUOTE]

I didn't say America sucks. I said the IRS sucks.

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']I didn't say America sucks. I said the IRS sucks.[/QUOTE]Until you can find a way to not have to pay your taxes and not get tossed in jail for it, they're one in the same, sorry.

[quote name='shrike4242']Until you can find a way to not have to pay your taxes and not get tossed in jail for it, they're one in the same, sorry.[/QUOTE]
Are you serious? That's just....I don't even know what to say.

The IRS is one department within the government. I'm sure if they had more resources they could do a better job of getting returns out, but then we'd have people screaming about big government spending. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

[quote name='Clak']Are you serious? That's just....I don't even know what to say.

The IRS is one department within the government. I'm sure if they had more resources they could do a better job of getting returns out, but then we'd have people screaming about big government spending. Can't have your cake and eat it too.[/QUOTE]

This x 1,000

[quote name='Clak']Are you serious? That's just....I don't even know what to say.

The IRS is one department within the government. I'm sure if they had more resources they could do a better job of getting returns out, but then we'd have people screaming about big government spending. Can't have your cake and eat it too.[/QUOTE]Sorry, this isn't the vs forum.

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']IRS kept estimating Feb 8th I'd get my check. Then the 7th they change it to 6 weeks after return accepted (2-3 more weeks).

I wanna buy a PS3 :([/QUOTE]

wish this would happen to me.... would love for them to delay my payment...

[quote name='Afflicted']wish this would happen to me.... would love for them to delay my payment...[/QUOTE]
Lucky for you because they can. A simple extention is enough, not to mention that you still have until April 15th. You're welcome!:D

[quote name='dohdough']Lucky for you because they can. A simple extention is enough, not to mention that you still have until April 15th. You're welcome!:D[/QUOTE]

actually if you owe... you have to pay an estimate of what you owe when you file for an extension... :cry:

this isnt a republican vs democrat thing but i never had to wait on a form being updated under bush and i always knew when i would get my refund but the last 3 years no such luck...

[quote name='Afflicted']actually if you owe... you have to pay an estimate of what you owe when you file for an extension... :cry:[/QUOTE]
Not quite. You can pay on a later date, but you'll incur interest.

[quote name='floormat']this isnt a republican vs democrat thing but i never had to wait on a form being updated under bush and i always knew when i would get my refund but the last 3 years no such luck...[/QUOTE]
That's funny because I've been getting my refunds early. What forms are you talking about anyways?

not sure what forms in previous years but this year it was form 8801. in the past file by Tuesday get your money not the next day Wednesday but a week after that or 8 days later...

[quote name='floormat']not sure what forms in previous years but this year it was form 8801. in the past file by Tuesday get your money not the next day Wednesday but a week after that or 8 days later...[/QUOTE]
Form 8801 is a pretty important form and any delay would be pretty big news. The only delay in 2012 that was reported was due to a system upgrade to prevent fraudulant refunds, which meant that some refunds will be delayed. If you're using tax software or an accountant, software has been known to be inconsistant with .gov availability, especially TurboTax, and an accountant might be blowing smoke up your ass. Since you're filing an 8801, I'm hoping you went to an accountant unless you're extremely well versed in the tax code.

Also, there's an official IRS estimated tax refund schedule every year that gives the window of your refund. If you file at the beginning of a new cycle, it could take 2 upto weeks.

I'm no Obama apologist, but the way you framed your post makes it inherently political.

edit: Did some research and 8801 was actually delayed in 2007(Bush), 2011(Obama), and TurboTax has had delays with updating their database for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dohdough']Form 8801 is a pretty important form and any delay would be pretty big news. The only delay in 2012 that was reported was due to a system upgrade to prevent fraudulant refunds, which meant that some refunds will be delayed. If you're using tax software or an accountant, software has been known to be inconsistant with .gov availability, especially TurboTax, and an accountant might be blowing smoke up your ass. Since you're filing an 8801, I'm hoping you went to an accountant unless you're extremely well versed in the tax code.

Also, there's an official IRS estimated tax refund schedule every year that gives the window of your refund. If you file at the beginning of a new cycle, it could take 2 upto weeks.

I'm no Obama apologist, but the way you framed your post makes it inherently political.

edit: Did some research and 8801 was actually delayed in 2007(Bush), 2011(Obama), and TurboTax has had delays with updating their database for years.[/QUOTE]

Using turbo tax. i don't think i filed a 8801 in 07 so this is the first delay i had with it. turbo tax said i needed it and when it came in and processed it gave me an extra 200 or so in refund so I can't complain to much...

[quote name='floormat']Using turbo tax. i don't think i filed a 8801 in 07 so this is the first delay i had with it. turbo tax said i needed it and when it came in and processed it gave me an extra 200 or so in refund so I can't complain to much...[/QUOTE]
I hear ya. As big as TurboTax is, I can't believe how lax it is in updating it's database even WITHOUT late changes.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']They won't even tell me about my return... every time I check the website, it's 'we're sorry, we have no information for you'. I e-filed it 10 days ago with direct deposit. I thought I'd have it by now. I wish I at least knew something... :bomb:[/QUOTE]

My tax refund took a week and a half longer to arrive this year than it did last year, totaling about three week and a half weeks. This is after e-filing it and setting up a direct deposit. Not sure what's going on.

Just curious, do you guys e-file? And do you apply for direct deposit? It usually takes no more than 2 weeks form the time I file on TurboTax to the time the money is in my account.

[quote name='dohdough']You guys know that the IRS has been experiencing delays right? Its at the top of the refund schedule page.[/QUOTE]

I don't care if it's delayed. I don't super-need it or anything (it's just getting dumped into savings for PAX Prime)... it's the simple fact that they won't tell me what's going on. If that page said 'you'll get it March 1st' I'd be happy... hell, I'd be happy with 'we got your form and approved your refund, but we're backed up so we'll give you a date next week.' But a week and a half of 'sorry, we got nothing'? Not cool.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Just curious, do you guys e-file? And do you apply for direct deposit? It usually takes no more than 2 weeks form the time I file on TurboTax to the time the money is in my account.[/QUOTE]
There's a refund schedule that they follow, I'm not sure what the stats are for refunds that take 2 weeks or longer, but 90% of refunds are disbursed within 3 weeks.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I don't care if it's delayed. I don't super-need it or anything (it's just getting dumped into savings for PAX Prime)... it's the simple fact that they won't tell me what's going on. If that page said 'you'll get it March 1st' I'd be happy... hell, I'd be happy with 'we got your form and approved your refund, but we're backed up so we'll give you a date next week.' But a week and a half of 'sorry, we got nothing'? Not cool.[/QUOTE]
If you e-filed, then you should've gotten a confirmation of acceptance by the IRS email from the vender you used and the acceptance date would determine which refund cycle you are in. There is no exact date that you'll receive it, just an estimated window of the IRS making a deposit or mailing of the check. Also, there is only a notice for acceptance of your tax form and never a confirmation of a refund or additional payment.

edit: In the event that you made a mistake on the direct deposit information, they will mail you a check a few weeks after the initial deposit cycle, but they will not contact you. I learned that the hard way...haha.

Here's the schedule:
http://www.taxact.com/products/all_efcycle.asp

http://www.efile.com/tax-refund/where-is-my-refund/

edit2: Here's is the IRS refund tracker:
https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

You guys shouldnt bitch.

As a freelancer I have to wait for about 17-30 different tax forms to even start filing. Every year I have to chase down 10 production houses to even send my forms and after that I always forget about Random McRandom production house that told me my pay was "off the record" but then claimed it anyway weeks later.

Basically I am in a constant cycle of paying the IRS then getting a refund only for them to ask for most of it back at a later date then ultimately giving it all back because I overpaid the previous year because of the same reasons. Tax time is brutal for freelancers.

I hate freelancing....(no I dont)

[quote name='dohdough']Not quite. You can pay on a later date, but you'll incur interest.[/QUOTE]

+ a penalty if you don't pay at least 90% of what you would owe.

How do you think paying penalty + interest fits in with my previous post? :roll:

[quote name='Soodmeg']You guys shouldnt bitch.

As a freelancer I have to wait for about 17-30 different tax forms to even start filing. Every year I have to chase down 10 production houses to even send my forms and after that I always forget about Random McRandom production house that told me my pay was "off the record" but then claimed it anyway weeks later.

Basically I am in a constant cycle of paying the IRS then getting a refund only for them to ask for most of it back at a later date then ultimately giving it all back because I overpaid the previous year because of the same reasons. Tax time is brutal for freelancers.

I hate freelancing....(no I dont)[/QUOTE]

lol 1099s and SE tax.

[quote name='Afflicted']+ a penalty if you don't pay at least 90% of what you would owe.

How do you think paying penalty + interest fits in with my previous post? :roll:[/QUOTE]
Oh...I dunno...maybe you can tell me considering your fallacious statement about not being able to delay your payment?

And the penalty is calculated at .5% of the amount you owe with the max amount being 25%, which means that if you owe $100, you'll owe an additional $0.50 until you hit a max total of $25 if you don't pay. To max out at 25%, you'd have to not pay anything for 50 months. What this translates to is an extra .5% to the regular interest rate incurred by delaying your payment, which still doesn't negate the fact that you can delay a payment.

So :roll: indeed.

[quote name='dohdough']There's a refund schedule that they follow, I'm not sure what the stats are for refunds that take 2 weeks or longer, but 90% of refunds are disbursed within 3 weeks.

If you e-filed, then you should've gotten a confirmation of acceptance by the IRS email from the vender you used and the acceptance date would determine which refund cycle you are in. There is no exact date that you'll receive it, just an estimated window of the IRS making a deposit or mailing of the check. Also, there is only a notice for acceptance of your tax form and never a confirmation of a refund or additional payment.

edit: In the event that you made a mistake on the direct deposit information, they will mail you a check a few weeks after the initial deposit cycle, but they will not contact you. I learned that the hard way...haha.

Here's the schedule:
http://www.taxact.com/products/all_efcycle.asp

http://www.efile.com/tax-refund/where-is-my-refund/

edit2: Here's is the IRS refund tracker:
https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp[/QUOTE]

I filed via H&R Block and got the email, but no projected arrival date (aside from 'normally 8-10 days', which has come & gone.) all they provided was the IRS tracker, which perpetually says 'no information' when I use it. Thanks for the taxact chart though- they have different dates than I've been seeing, so hopefully they'll end up being right.

Remember boys and girls, when the government owes YOU money they take their sweet ass time giving it to you, but when you owe THEM money they want it yesterday or else you're paying penalties, interest and possibly risking a date with Bubba.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Filed mine on Feb 2nd, via Turbotax. Still haven't received my refund.[/QUOTE]
I would look for it to be direct deposited on 2/22 if you e-filed. I filed around then and my CPA estimated around that date.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Remember boys and girls, when the government owes YOU money they take their sweet ass time giving it to you, but when you owe THEM money they want it yesterday or else you're paying penalties, interest and possibly risking a date with Bubba.[/QUOTE]

Because God forbid someone pay their taxes that they've had over a year to plan for (plus a six month extension, plus repayment in installments if needed). Just how long of a window do you need? I'm guessing based on your posting history on this site that you barely pay taxes as is, cheapest. You sure do LOVE to complain about it however.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Remember boys and girls, when the government owes YOU money they take their sweet ass time giving it to you, but when you owe THEM money they want it yesterday or else you're paying penalties, interest and possibly risking a date with Bubba.[/QUOTE]

I actually got my federal return pretty quick this year. My state is the one taking their sweet ass time.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I filed via H&R Block and got the email, but no projected arrival date (aside from 'normally 8-10 days', which has come & gone.) all they provided was the IRS tracker, which perpetually says 'no information' when I use it. Thanks for the taxact chart though- they have different dates than I've been seeing, so hopefully they'll end up being right.[/QUOTE]

The IRS tracker is pretty much an over estimate so you wont bug them too much about it. kind of like sears and kmart online ordering, it says it will be delivered in 1-2 weeks and its there in 3 days. the other chart is pretty accurate, finished mine on the 3rd, direct deposited yesterday even though the irs tracker said the 21st

[quote name='mtxbass1']Because God forbid someone pay their taxes that they've had over a year to plan for (plus a six month extension, plus repayment in installments if needed). Just how long of a window do you need? I'm guessing based on your posting history on this site that you barely pay taxes as is, cheapest. You sure do LOVE to complain about it however.[/QUOTE]
After seeing where the tax money goes and what it pays for, why should I even pay the piddily amount I may have to pay occasionally? So state workers can lounge around on the job site on road projects so it takes YEARS instead of months? So non English speaking people and their lil brats can learn English and still NOT use it in public? So some government contractor can charge $500 per plastic toilet seat and the morons we elected to office just rubber stamp the bill without even going 'whoa whoa whoa whoa this shit is only $10 at Wally World, why are these worth $500 each'? Or so the idiots we elected can take money from special interest groups and keep their agendas getting pushed through the legislature while the concerns of the people who elected them get shoved aside?

So yeah, I love paying taxes when I have to, just to watch the local(school/city/county), state and federal governments give away the farm to every undeserving piece of shit that comes along with their hands out asking for free money. The one that irks me most though is all the aid we give to other countries. fuck them. Worry about OUR people first.

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']I actually got my federal return pretty quick this year. My state is the one taking their sweet ass time.[/QUOTE]

Really? I got my state refund check the same week I filed. Still waiting on my federal...

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']I actually got my federal return pretty quick this year. My state is the one taking their sweet ass time.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Got my federal return in just over a week. No sign of my state return (which I think was barely double digits).

Wow, the IRS website (pr rather the "where's my refund" part) must be getting slammed right now. I've been trying to check on mine and it keeps timing out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']After seeing where the tax money goes and what it pays for, why should I even pay the piddily amount I may have to pay occasionally? So state workers can lounge around on the job site on road projects so it takes YEARS instead of months? So non English speaking people and their lil brats can learn English and still NOT use it in public? So some government contractor can charge $500 per plastic toilet seat and the morons we elected to office just rubber stamp the bill without even going 'whoa whoa whoa whoa this shit is only $10 at Wally World, why are these worth $500 each'? Or so the idiots we elected can take money from special interest groups and keep their agendas getting pushed through the legislature while the concerns of the people who elected them get shoved aside?

So yeah, I love paying taxes when I have to, just to watch the local(school/city/county), state and federal governments give away the farm to every undeserving piece of shit that comes along with their hands out asking for free money. The one that irks me most though is all the aid we give to other countries. fuck them. Worry about OUR people first.[/QUOTE]How the hell did you get off my ignore list...

Yeah, the IRS is having a lot of issues this year. My mom does income tax returns as part of her bookkeeping business and has been bitching about all the delays as clients are pissed off about not getting their refunds as quick as usual etc.

I don't care much about mine. I'll just put it toward paying off the rest of my car loan so I can start sending more toward my student loans each month.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']After seeing where the tax money goes and what it pays for, why should I even pay the piddily amount I may have to pay occasionally? So state workers can lounge around on the job site on road projects so it takes YEARS instead of months? So non English speaking people and their lil brats can learn English and still NOT use it in public? So some government contractor can charge $500 per plastic toilet seat and the morons we elected to office just rubber stamp the bill without even going 'whoa whoa whoa whoa this shit is only $10 at Wally World, why are these worth $500 each'? Or so the idiots we elected can take money from special interest groups and keep their agendas getting pushed through the legislature while the concerns of the people who elected them get shoved aside?

So yeah, I love paying taxes when I have to, just to watch the local(school/city/county), state and federal governments give away the farm to every undeserving piece of shit that comes along with their hands out asking for free money. The one that irks me most though is all the aid we give to other countries. fuck them. Worry about OUR people first.[/QUOTE]

Honest questions for you cheapest. How much money do you think we send to other countries? How much of your tax dollars do you think goes towards "giving away the farm?"

bread's done
Back