The "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig Memorial / Tribute Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydroX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
103 (100%)
Nine years ago today. Hard to believe. Rest In Peace, Curt.

perfect-rip.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ixzEcIY8SI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDKm2Nk_L6Q

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm surprised Miz isn't wearing a fucking suit in that gym photo.

Also - found the 80's version of "AUTSIN"

1467gi.jpg
[/QUOTE]

detail.jpg

No relevance, it just made me laugh when that sign made me think of this character.

Appropriately, this is Joe Hennig's Twitter.

"February 10th. A day I just can't forget... My dad, my best friend... He past away 9 years ago... I miss u dad. I miss u so much! I love you.

Dear Dad. Hey man. I'm doin the bst I can. I doin everything you told me to do. I'm not supposed to cry but I can't help it. I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines. My name is Joe Hennig. And I'm the past, present and future.

Today, I dont give a damn what u call me. Michael McGillicutty. I am Joe Hennig and I am apart of the greatest wrestling legacy of all time. I miss u Dad. And from here on out, I'm taking over! I love u daddy. RIP Curt Hennig. Let's get this Goin. #Hennig"

A glimpse into Vince McMahon's psyche:

The JBL character came along. Vince McMahon will deny this because he didn’t see any parallel with the JR Ewing character (from the TV show Dallas), but in my mind it was a JR Ewing character. It was my idea.

http://bermudasun.bm/main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=203&ArticleID=56753

A decent read otherwise for a variety of reasons. But to think Vince didn't see JBL as having anything resembling JR Ewing is astonishing. The man either has no concept of pop culture or he's amazingly able to delude himself.

Personally, I liked that they gave Joe Hennig a completely different persona. There's no way that these famous wrestlers' kids can ever be like them. Randy Orton and The Rock became popular once they stopped pushing the generational thing because there's only two outcomes:

a.) You're much worse than your parent
b.) Nobody remembers or even knows who the hell your parent is

Anything more recent than 10 years ago: he has no concept of pop culture.
Older than 10 years ago: deluded.

[quote name='davo1224']Personally, I liked that they gave Joe Hennig a completely different persona. There's no way that these famous wrestlers' kids can ever be like them. Randy Orton and The Rock became popular once they stopped pushing the generational thing because there's only two outcomes:

a.) You're much worse than your parent
b.) Nobody remembers or even knows who the hell your parent is[/QUOTE]

Goldust is probably the best example of them ditching any connection to the family name with excellent results. Don't think Joe is quite at Dustin's level (still shudder at Joe's fucking incredibly bad, rambling promo from NXT a couple years back) so it may be better to give the Mr. Perfect Jr thing (or whatever) a shot.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Anything more recent than 10 years ago: he has no concept of pop culture.
Older than 10 years ago: deluded.[/QUOTE]

I was watching one of the first Raw episodes from early '93, and Vince was throwing out all kinds of pop culture references. I'm almost positive he had a writer.

Chico Satana y Los Conquistadores, best 6 man tag team to never hold the belts.

All you have to do to get Hennig a shot is have someone take a piss on Mr. Perfect's legacy and have Joe defend his dad's honor. Something along the lines of CM Punk ragging on him for being a coke head and leaving such a "perfect" legacy: being found dead in a hotel room due to acute cocaine intoxication. Why, he didn't leave us too soon, he didn't leave us soon enough. It's one less drugged out piece of crap trying to hold onto the limelight that was shut off a long time ago. Something harsh and realistic sounding. Non-title if he's still the champ to start the feud off.

I loved Mr. Perfect so I don't believe any of that which I just wrote. I'm just saying I think that would be a hell of a way to give Joe a push, without trying to make him Perfect, Jr.

I don't think anyone would ever argue that Joe should be "Mr. Perfect 2."

Ted DiBiase is the most vanilla motherfucker out there - but at least he has his name.

But WWE couldn't handicap his career worse (than naming him fucking "McGillicuty") if they cut off his foot (with apologies to the Von Erichs).

Joe Hennig coming out and saying that "while my dad was perfect, I'm even better" would be pretty great. Doesn't even have to be a copy of Perfect's gimmick, just a smug ass who suplexes the hell out of people (think a pretty boy Taz, maybe give him a black towel to toss around as a nod to Curt) would be enough of a personality to make him somewhat interesting.

I had stopped watching wrestling for a few years and when I first saw Dolph Ziggler, I thought he was taking on the Mr. Perfect gimmick. ...I mean, can you blame me, he had bleach blonde hair, an "I'm better than you" attitude and his theme song's lyrics were "I am perfection..." ...I was surprised to learn DZ had nothing to do with Mr. Perfect and it was instead McGillicutty that was related to him.

^ Don't forget that glorious post-match fro.

Barrett's new theme isn't great but seems totally disconnected from his very proper entrance coat..he needs that Desmond Wolfe polo shirt look or something to match it.

Fun Fact: I still spit my gum out when I'm finished with it and slap it away after all these years, thanks to Curt Hennig's entrance.

I actually remember an incredibly awkward pop culture reference Vince made on an earlier Raw (probably '94 or '95). Some masked guy was in the ring (possibly Avatar) and Vince says something like "I wonder what he looks like under that mask...maybe he looks like BART. You think he looks like BART from The Simpsons?"

It sounded so forced I even cringed at the age of 15. The way he said "BART" reeked of someone giving him the heads up on the existence of the character 10 minutes before they went on the air.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't think anyone would ever argue that Joe should be "Mr. Perfect 2."[/QUOTE]
...I don't literally mean that should be his name. JJSP hit it...perfectly. ::jumps into swimming pool while Lanny Poffo looks on lovingly::

fee6mv.jpg

[quote name='xilly']Fun Fact: I still spit my gum out when I'm finished with it and slap it away after all these years, thanks to Curt Hennig's entrance.[/QUOTE]

You're not the only one.

[quote name='KaneRobot']...I don't literally mean that should be his name. JJSP hit it...perfectly. ::jumps into swimming pool while Lanny Poffo looks on lovingly::

fee6mv.jpg
[/QUOTE]

As a kid my thought was "Why is Hennig swimming in his wrestling gear?".

I haven't listened to Colt's podcast in a while but I downloaded the new one with MVP and it was really good, one of my favorites that I've heard. Not a ton of wrestling talk admittedly but some pretty interesting talk about his criminal days (which put Booker T robbing a Wendy's to shame), and towards the end he talks about what was just being discussed here yesterday (about WWE management supposedly wanting young talent to step up and ruffle some feathers...but what they don't tell you is you'd better not ruffle the wrong feathers).

Been watching a ton of WCW Saturday Night episodes on YouTube via Xbox 360 late at night. Very cool to be able to watch this stuff on TV again instead of my small monitor screen.

I'm into the '95s right now. Pretty sweet to see DDP progress as a wrestler. According to the storyline, he won $13 million in Vegas, and Evad Sullivan just took the Diamond Doll out on a date ... I thought Dave Sullivan was pretty much trashed after the Hulkamaniac thing? Or am I jumping the shark (not John Tenta)?

Also just read that WWE is releasing a 540 minute long compilation of The Clash of the Champions. fuck. Yes. Instant purchase for me.

[quote name='HydroX']Been watching a ton of WCW Saturday Night episodes on YouTube via Xbox 360 late at night. Very cool to be able to watch this stuff on TV again instead of my small monitor screen.

I'm into the '95s right now. Pretty sweet to see DDP progress as a wrestler. According to the storyline, he won $13 million in Vegas, and Evad Sullivan just took the Diamond Doll out on a date ... I thought Dave Sullivan was pretty much trashed after the Hulkamaniac thing? Or am I jumping the shark (not John Tenta)?

Also just read that WWE is releasing a 540 minute long compilation of The Clash of the Champions. fuck. Yes. Instant purchase for me.[/QUOTE]

May 22 according to Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...inkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B0077PTWNM

Evad feuded with Page for awhile, went on a date with Kimberly, and then feuded with Big Bubber because Ralph the Rabbit set off Bubber's allergies. And that was it for him.

It may be against the rules, but I really have no idea. Anyways, if anyone needs an invite to XtremeWrestlingTorrents, just let me know.

If it's against the rules, I apologize.

- WWE Superstar Alberto Del Rio appeared on 95.7 THE GAME in San Francisco with The Rise Guys to promote this weekend’s SmackDown live events. Del Rio says he isn’t a fan of The Miz.

He said, “I hate The Miz. This is not part of the show, I really really dislike that guy. I’ve tried to punch him in the face several times, not in the ring, I mean outside of the ring. He is like a little girl always running away from me.”

Del Rio added that he and The Miz were very different. “I’m a real athlete. He’s just a loud, stupid little kid. He’s one of those guys who was probably bullied in school and that’s the reason that he’s so loud now.”

RE: The Clash of the Champions set.. there's two listings on Amazon. One for $20.99, which is the DVD.. then another for $27.99, which is meant to be the blu-ray listing (!!!!!), but it still says DVD.

So Mattel is working on this new series of games for the iPad called "apptivity". You're essentially using a physical object to interact with the game on the screen. WWE will have a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZGn2EHrZFU

I don't get why they're doing this - do they not realize that kids will smack and slam these on the screen? Can't wait to see the flood of complaints about these scratching the screen. This is a terrible, terrible idea.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']If WWE wants to try thier hand at Skylanders, this isn't the way to go.[/QUOTE]

I'd buy a WWE/Skylanders style game. I don't know what it'd be like, but I'd buy it and the toys.

Speaking of toys, I remember having this piece of dookie

images

I used to collect the Bone Crunching Jakks figures with my friend until this happened. Supposedly this new way of making the action figures would mean more accurate looks and faster releases. Nothing changed except now the figures were harder to manipulate and everyone had grotesquely disproportionate bodies.

Future endeavored.

Mr. Perfect is very near the top of my list of guys who should have had the WWF Title at some point during the late 80s/early 90s. He was sometimes shoehorned into a cowardly heel role but he had the ability to pull off a dominant, technical wrestler heel if they had let him run with it more. His back got really screwed up at one point though so for all I know, there might have been plans for him to be a full time, main event guy. His entrance music was fucking fantastic, fit him perfectly.

EDIT - unrelated but happy to find this without blurring and bleeped WWFs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-H4jRsdH5s

[quote name='Halo05']Future endeavored.

Mr. Perfect is very near the top of my list of guys who should have had the WWF Title at some point during the late 80s/early 90s. He was sometimes shoehorned into a cowardly heel role but he had the ability to pull off a dominant, technical wrestler heel if they had let him run with it more. His back got really screwed up at one point though so for all I know, there might have been plans for him to be a full time, main event guy. His entrance music was fucking fantastic, fit him perfectly.

[/QUOTE]

They dropped the ball with him when they didn't give it to him during the program with Hogan where he stole and destroyed the belt. I still remember that like it was yesterday.

[quote name='xilly']Fun Fact: I still spit my gum out when I'm finished with it and slap it away after all these years, thanks to Curt Hennig's entrance.[/QUOTE]

So do I. A lot of times I hit people's cars with it.

[quote name='bhk']Mr. Perfect vs. Bret Hart, KOTR 93 Semi-Finals:

Edit: Is there an odder commentary team than Savage/Ross/Hennan? [/QUOTE]

McMahon/St. James.

[quote name='JJSP']The demolished Perfect title became the Hardcore belt, no?[/QUOTE]

I always thought that, but I swear I read recently that this was not, in fact, the case. I'll look into it tomorrow perhaps.

From Wikipedia:
The WWE Hardcore Championship belt itself is a replica of the "Winged Eagle" WWF Championship title that was smashed in several places and reassembled with two long pieces of duct tape with the words "Hardcore" and "Champion" written in marker. A long-standing rumor stated that this belt was the same one that was stolen by Mr. Perfect from Hulk Hogan on a 1989 episode of Saturday Night's Main Event and destroyed with a hammer at the end of the episode. However, this has been proved to be false, since the destroyed belt was kept by then WWF referee/booker Mel Phillips. A new belt (replica) was purposely destroyed to create the Hardcore Championship. When Bradshaw won the title in June 2002, he briefly renamed it the Texas Hardcore Championship, and brought a custom belt to the ring with a Texas flag and oversized bull horns. The original design was resumed later in June when Raven reclaimed the championship. Tommy Dreamer would use a variation of the belt with a New York license plate where the center plate should be.

Mel Phillips was a booker? News to me. He probably would have tried to make Snitsky a world champion if their career timeframes matched.

...if you don't get that, you probably wouldn't want to know anyway.

I read that The Miz is in the dog house, and him not catching R-Truth on RAW probably didn't help any.

I wouldn't doubt it if Del Rio was told, by management, to shit on The Miz "on the real".

[quote name='Brak']I read that The Miz is in the dog house, and him not catching R-Truth on RAW probably didn't help any.

I wouldn't doubt it if Del Rio was told, by management, to shit on The Miz "on the real".[/QUOTE]

Apparently WWE officials are blaming Miz for the low Survivor Series buyrate. The low buys certainly can't be attributed to creative making Miz and Truth look like total non-threats to Rock and Cena every week leading up to SS. As for the Del Rio quotes, they are probably a worked shoot. The Miz makes a lot of sense as a babyface and a Miz/Rio WM match might be in the works.

[quote name='xilly']Wow, it really is as ridiculous as it sounds.

TommyDreamerWithACustomDesignedHard.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I've always imagined this to be the routine right before a Tommy Dreamer match:

Dreamer to production assistant: "Go to the merch stand and grab me a shirt"
PA: "Which one?"
Dreamer: "fuck it, I don't care"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back