- - - - -

GameStop throwing out pre-owned DS cases (Free Club Nintendo/Square Enix Codes) YMMV

#1 sasukekun   Cat-Like Typing Detected CAGiversary!   6752 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

While at work, we had to start making more room for Nintendo 3DS games. So I had to start "gutting" all the pre-owned DS games. So all pre-owned DS games now come as cart/game only.

Not sure if this is nation-wide or not, but it's a great way to dumpster dive and score some Club Nintendo/Square Enix codes.

#2 Tsel   The Dark Knight CAGiversary!   7670 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

They've been this way for a while at my Gamestop.

#3 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6722 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hmmm maybe I'll drive over some day and ask if they have any to give away

#4 sasukekun   Cat-Like Typing Detected CAGiversary!   6752 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

They've been this way for a while at my Gamestop.

Ya, we just started today. I probably threw out at least 50+ cases, and there were about 50 more I had to still go through.

#5 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21161 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I don't work there but last time I went by I saw a half eaten subway sandwich and an empty bottle of that crappy Mana energy drink in the trash can, as always YMMV...

#6 KtMack23   Retired from CAGing CAGiversary!   2482 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

I don't work there but last time I went by I saw a half eaten subway sandwich and an empty bottle of that crappy Mana energy drink in the trash can, as always YMMV...

Score! I hope I'm as lucky

#7 needler420   car title is lost CAGiversary!   2492 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

Gamestop dumpster diving is the new thing going on.

#8 KtMack23   Retired from CAGing CAGiversary!   2482 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Gamestop dumpster diving is the new thing going on.

Along with Best Buy trash compactor diving!

#9 dinovelvet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3645 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

dinovelvet

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Dude, if you pick up that half eaten sandwich I'll trade some cold fries that have been sitting in my car for about a week.

#10 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21161 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

Dude, if you pick up that half eaten sandwich I'll trade some cold fries that have been sitting in my car for about a week.

Sorry, I already sold the half eaten sandwich to some stupid soccer mom on Craig's List, she didn't know you could get them new for $5.

#11 Max_Payne22   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   28 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Max_Payne22

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Gamestop must want to lose sales. Most people probably don't want to buy a DS game with no case.

#12 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10198 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Which GS do you work at so I can go pick them up. =P

It's actually kind of sad the amount of shelf space the portables get. ='(

Gamestop must want to lose sales. Most people probably don't want to buy a DS game with no case.

I doubt it, most people really don't care about it. We are nothing but a small group.

#13 KtMack23   Retired from CAGing CAGiversary!   2482 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Is this a joke? I gotta figure at least 85% of their customer base couldn't care less.

#14 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2485 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

This is the 2nd thread in as many days about GS throwing crap out, and CAGs hoping to score free plastic rock band shite or a Nintendo code by swimming in the dumpster.

Do whatever makes you happy, just be aware of the risks you take...once you know someone who's been inadvertently stuck by a needle and now has contracted hep-c for life...it might make you want to reconsider that plastic DS game case.

#15 SKEETER   YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH IT! CAGiversary!   644 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Is this a joke? I gotta figure at least 85% of their customer base couldn't care less.

I agree because if more customers cared then GS probably would not do this. I'm in the other 15% though :cry:

Edited by SKEETER, 17 March 2012 - 06:00 AM.

#16 warboss zorbag   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   328 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

warboss zorbag

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

What josh said. Whatever's in there isn't worth it.

#17 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5457 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

Not worth it, dumpster diving is illegal in most places that I know of, especially when the dumpsters are marked private property as they are here. Moreover, its disgusting, especially if you are going for only a few cases (if there are better things, then I can see doing it) but really, its not worth having a criminal record for what is in there!!!

I would assume that employees would pick the codes before the cases were tossed out anyways.

#18 nintendokingdom   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   165 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

nintendokingdom

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Another one of the many reasons I don't understand why people buy games used from GameStop...you get less for more.

#19 AionTelos   is PLUS ONE PIG! CAGiversary!   947 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

More dumpsters to dive! Wooo!

#20 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2962 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

I have a Square Enix code from Deus Ex. What's that used for?

#21 SteveChiller   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   118 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

SteveChiller

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

I'd rather have a game with a case. I dont even look thru the games with generic cases.

#22 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

This is the 2nd thread in as many days about GS throwing crap out, and CAGs hoping to score free plastic rock band shite or a Nintendo code by swimming in the dumpster.

Do whatever makes you happy, just be aware of the risks you take...once you know someone who's been inadvertently stuck by a needle and now has contracted hep-c for life...it might make you want to reconsider that plastic DS game case.

That's why ya take a pokey stick with ya n use that for rooting around in said dumpster first. But definitely steer clear of GS stores in the same shopping center as a tattoo/piercing joint cuz ya never know then.:shock:

It's used on the S-E site to get to certain 'tiers' by the end of the year to get prizes. A couple of years ago they gave away iPods with some custom artwork on them. I think last year was some sorta lithograph.

#23 ZeroFlame15   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   806 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

ZeroFlame15

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

I mostly never buy a game without a case.

#24 born free   Old School CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

This is sad and it will saturate the market with disk only copies.

Fucking gamestop... :wall:

#25 Kyle Kross   yohohohoho CAGiversary!   1568 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Kyle Kross

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

I can't stand caseless games, only exception is if I spend less than $5 on said game. But even then I make the GameStop employee get me a generic case everytime. Usually I get eyes rolled at me everytime, one guy even was telling me a few weeks back that they "had none." I knew that was bullshit but the guy didn't screw with me and went and gave me one that had a Saints Row 3 ad in it. Not sure why he still had that as that game came out months ago. Guess they don't throw everything away, only the valuable stuff.

#26 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   2356 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

since he sold the sandwhich already ill trade you a 3 month old taco bell burrito.

#27 Optical   Go Big Red CAGiversary!   925 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:00 AM

My local Gamestops have thrown out DS cases for at least a year or two, so its nothing new to me.

#28 GtoTheNextLevel  

GtoTheNextLevel

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

:applause::applause::applause:

This is old news as FailStop has been doing this for a while. I've banned them for years, but ever since they starting doing that, my fiancee now bans them as well as she is a DS collector.

Small bunch we are, but we are still customers. But GameStop thrives on the mass that don't know any better/ don't give a Fuck. As long as they get their CoD and their kids to STFU, they don't care.

#29 mark_IV   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   292 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

I love how they throw out cases and sell disc/cart only games at full price but then you get a dick employee that tries to hit you with a refurb fee for trading a game with no case. It's always fun to call them out on that!

#30 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

Yeah. That's always hilarious. I called them out on it the one time by marking my disc/packaging that I traded in that they needed to 'refurb' and went back in the next day. They hadn't sent it out and instead put it out for sale. So I whipped out my receipt n called them out on it after asking to see the disc n pretending like I was gonna buy my own copy back.;)

They didn't know what to say.:lol: