GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions?

How do I buy games outside of my region?
Gamersgate.com is the US version of the site and Gamersgate.co.uk is the UK version of the site. Accounts work interchangeably for either site. If you have an account with one, you have an account with the other and can log on to either. Both sites will also have a library of all of your games, regardless of region. The difference is that the US site only lets you buy US versions and the UK site only lets you buy UK versions. Thus you can log onto the UK site long enough to buy the UK version, then it will be available to you whenever you log into the US site. (Thanks, MysterD)

There are some currency conversion fees from buying internationally, but these can be avoided. Simply log in to the US site, buy Blue Coins using US dollars, then log into the .co.uk site and pay with your Blue Coins there. (Thanks, seamoss)

Why GamersGate?
Price Glitches - Chances are you can get a brand new game for 7 cents because computers are hard. Then when you whine about it enough, you'll probably get added bonuses on top of it for being such a gem of a customer and human being. Herp derp!

Gifting - Buy a bundle that has a game you already have? Most DD services you'd have to just count it a loss, but with GamersGate you can actually gift individual games to other GG accounts as long as you haven't downloaded them or revealed the serial code.

Generous Refund Policy - If you don't use the game you can get a refund within 14 days, no questions asked. Beyond that you can still get a refund if any technical problems persist and a solution can't be reached with support.

Blue Coins - Earn coins from each purchase, rating, review, and more. 1,000 blue coins is worth $1. You'll basically rack up credit for new games just by using the site.

Game Availability - Bundles tend to contain more games as compared to their Steam equivalents, and European games that aren't normally available to Americans can be purchased.

How do I get the 15% off bonus?
BAZINGA! You can't.

How do I gift a game? Can I redeem a gift only copy myself?
Note that in order to be able to gift an item, you must not have previously downloaded it or revealed the serial code. Under "My Library" on the left hand column there is an option to "Gift a Game" which you need to click. Check the games you want to send, then scroll to the bottom and click "Gift Selected". You may either gift it to a buddy on your list or enter their e-mail address.

If you bought a bundle and have a gift only copy, you can enter your own e-mail address and redeem it on your own account to see the serial. This is useful if you want to gift a Steam game to someone who does not have a GamersGate account.

It is highly recommended you gift directly to a GG buddy. E-mail gifting has been known to have problems if spam filters block it. There is currently no way to re-send a gift through e-mail if the first one doesn't make it and support is slow in fixing issues regarding this.

Which Minion should I choose?
Go to the list of Games and use the Genres menu to browse the categories and find the one with the most games you would be interested in playing. Most games currently fall under their Action and Adventure genres, so the popular suggestion is to go with the Cyber minion.

Should I buy a game with blue coins or money?
You can't pay with blue coins unless you have enough to cover the entire order. Luckily you can buy coins to reach the amount you need.

For example... A game costs ~20,000 blue coins and you have ~5,000. If you want to use up those coins simply buy 15,000 and then pay with coins so the game only costs you $15 instead of $20.

How do I download/install the games?
There is no download client that you have to install. Each game comes with a self-contained downloader which puts the installation files in a folder of your choosing. You then run the setup and install wherever you desire. Some games can also be activated from Steam or Origin.

Can I keep backup copies locally?
When you run the self-contained downloader, a new directory named "GamersGate temporary files" will be created in the location you ran it from. Inside will be a numbered folder that contains all of the game's installation files. When your game is done downloading and its installation screen comes up, before you proceed with installation simply movethe numbered folder elsewhere and rename it to whatever you want. Then cancel the current installation. You can then run these installation files from the folder whenever you want without needing an internet connection. More information on the encryption and how to get around can be found here. (Thanks, asheskitty)

Is there DRM?
An internet connection is required when running the installation so that you can be verified with GamersGate (see above question on how to circumvent this), but that's as far as DRM from them goes. Whether a game has DRM while launching/playing is on an individual basis and is generally listed on each product's page.

Are there any limits on downloading, installing, or activating?
You can download and install games as many times as you like on as many machines as you own. If you reach an activation limit, you can reset it by emailing [email protected].

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be a SE sale like every month... every month I'm reminded that this is more of an Eidos sale too.

I'm thinking about getting the Hitman games. Anybody know if they support a controller? Played through them originally on the Xbox. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='The End']If it's any consolation, your first post is better than the first post in the other topic. Mooby should copy your first post and give you credit for the formatting job that you did.[/QUOTE]

I fail at thread presentation. ;) Funny enough I was looking for a 'master' Gamer's Gate deal thread and was surprised I couldn't find one so good on Slightly to start one. I hereby declare this the thread. Poof!

Ah, Final Fantasy XI... about $150~200 worth of DLC for $5. Curse my PS2, who knew it would be so cheap on PC. Where does the time go.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I'm thinking about getting the Hitman games. Anybody know if they support a controller? Played through them originally on the Xbox. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
A quick glance at the Hitman forums shows the support is very limited and requires messing with config files. You'd be better off using a third party program.

[quote name='Mooby']I fail at thread presentation. ;) Funny enough I was looking for a 'master' Gamer's Gate deal thread and was surprised I couldn't find one so good on Slightly to start one. I hereby declare this the thread. Poof![/QUOTE]
I was also surprised that there wasn't really anything, but thank you. I will try my best not to abuse this glorious new power.

[quote name='DemonKysho']Ah, Final Fantasy XI... about $150~200 worth of DLC for $5. Curse my PS2, who knew it would be so cheap on PC. Where does the time go.[/QUOTE]
As a former EverQuest player, I feel your pain. Granted, I didn't buy all of the 173 expansions, but it wasn't cheap to stay current. Now there's a free to play model and all-in-one packs cost minimal.

After all is said and done, i couldn't recommend Final Fantasy XI more. Yes its Pay to Play and i would recommend a group of people to take the plunge with you. Its not as hard or grindful as it used to be.

Also all of those Deus Ex's are a steal, Just Cause not a bad sandbox game either.

[quote name='DemonKysho']

Also all of those Deus Ex's are a steal, Just Cause not a bad sandbox game either.[/QUOTE]

yeh if I was a PC gamer that Deus Ex bundle for a little over $17 is a steal

They should have thrown Project Snowblind in the Deus Ex Bundle. First, it is essentially a Deus Ex sequel in spirit. Second, hardly anyone will buy it on it's own so why not?

Tempted to pick up all the Tomb Raider games but I'm not sure if I want them on PC or PS3. Hitman's a bummer because there's no Hitman Contracts, so I may buy the trilogy box. The Deus Ex Bundle is the most tempting of all but it's actually been $5.50 cheaper before and it would just hit my backlog anyway.

I'm getting Guardian of Light and Just Cause 2 Complete for sure, though.

[quote name='ev768']Am I missing something or is Just Cause 2 Complete more expensive than buying everything individually?[/QUOTE]

You, sir, are correct. By about 25 cents. Weird.

[quote name='Rodster']Can someone explain why there's a small amount added to the cost of the game? ;)

I notice that in my cart, it's like 5%.[/QUOTE]

You earn 5% of your purchase back in credit, called blue coins. That's not an extra charge. :)

5 bucks for all of FFXI is insane!!!! There's literally thousands of hours worth of content there, good and fun content at that. Definitely the best MMO I ever played and one of the best games I ever played period. Comes with 30 days free too. If you like old school FF games you owe it to yourself to check it out for 5 bucks.

I'm probably gonna reactivate my account next month for the 10th anniversary. Even though I quit back in 2009 I still reactivate my account a few months a year during the summer when there's nothing to play.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']You earn 5% of your purchase back in credit, called blue coins. That's not an extra charge. :)[/QUOTE]
OK thanks but why is the price of Just Cause $3.75 and when I look at the bottom of the page it says $4.08 using Rixty. WTH is that?

I was looking at Just Cause and JC2 both plain vanilla. How do you add DLC to JC2? Someone mentioned it cheaper that way? :bouncy:

don't know about drm or technical issues or anything like that but i can say that the last heroes game i played was heroes 2 and heroes 6 is a load of fun.

I've never bought from GamersGate before but grabbed Dues Ex only to have them refund me and lock my brand new account out.

[quote name='Treythalomew']I've never bought from GamersGate before but grabbed Dues Ex only to have them refund me and lock my brand new account out.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty strange, did you ask them why?

Sorry for the late update, guys. My video card fan on my main PC decided it wanted to stop spinning. :drool:

[quote name='Rodster']OK thanks but why is the price of Just Cause $3.75 and when I look at the bottom of the page it says $4.08 using Rixty. WTH is that?

I was looking at Just Cause and JC2 both plain vanilla. How do you add DLC to JC2? Someone mentioned it cheaper that way? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Rixty is one of their payment methods they use if you can't use PayPal or the other method. It has a bit of a surcharge for some reason. I don't know, I just use PayPal.

The price difference is about 25 cents. I just got the Complete Edition anyway because it organizes it better in your Games section then. It's up to you. Either way, they are all Steamworks so you are given serial codes that you activate in Steam for each DLC.

[quote name='Treythalomew']I've never bought from GamersGate before but grabbed Dues Ex only to have them refund me and lock my brand new account out.[/QUOTE]

Very strange. I've never had anything but good experience with their customer service. Maybe try contacting them and asking what's up, like another poster suggested.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Debating on this sale but what are the chances Hitman Blood Money and Mini Ninjas will go on sale for steam at similar prices?[/QUOTE]

Hitman seems to go on sale quite often...I picked it up in March from Steam for 2.50

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Hitman seems to go on sale quite often...I picked it up in March from Steam for 2.50[/QUOTE]

Ahh cool thanks. Maybe I'll hold out for that one on Steam and get Mini Ninjas now.

[quote name='whitereflection']I didn't know GmersGate had daily deals. Is that recent? Are they as good as Steam daily deals?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that they have true every day deals. I think that these are basically featured extra good deals of the day as part of a longer sale, in this case the ubisoft one.

Steam does similar things where they pick a publisher and do a 4 day or so long sale with everything being on sale from that publisher at say 50% but then there's a deal of the day within that sale that goes even cheaper each day.

For those of you who purchased the Indie Fort Bundle from GamersGate and have been patiently waiting for the final secret unlock, it was unveiled today... Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol is now available for download in your games library. It's a 16-bit Windows 3.1 game from 1995 (which means it won't work on 64 bit systems). Enjoy...

Yes, this is serious. Words fail me. :drool:

Strange sale this week. DLCs on sale but base games aren't (Shogun 2, Renegade Ops). Going to guess those will be daily deals during the week.

[quote name='Corpekata']Strange sale this week. DLCs on sale but base games aren't (Shogun 2, Renegade Ops). Going to guess those will be daily deals during the week.[/QUOTE]

Here you go:

Day 1: Football Manager 2012 - 70% off
Day 2: Empire & Napoleon Total War - GOTY - 75% off
Day 3: Alpha Protocol - 80% off
Day 4: Renegade Ops - 66% off
Day 5: Shogun - Total War - 75% off
Day 6: Aliens vs Predator - 75% off
Day 7: Dreamcast Collection - 80% off

You can see these deals by changing the D# (D1, D2, D3, etc.) in:

http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/segaweek_D1.jpg

Maybe this can be added to the OP.

[quote name='seamoss']Here you go:

Day 1: Football Manager 2012 - 70% off
Day 2: Empire & Napoleon Total War - GOTY - 75% off
Day 3: Alpha Protocol - 80% off
Day 4: Renegade Ops - 66% off
Day 5: Shogun - Total War - 75% off
Day 6: Aliens vs Predator - 75% off
Day 7: Dreamcast Collection - 80% off

You can see these deals by changing the D# (D1, D2, D3, etc.) in:

http://www.gamersgate.com/img/featured/segaweek_D1.jpg

Maybe this can be added to the OP.[/QUOTE]
That would make Dreamcast Collection right around $6. That sounds like a really great deal but...

when I look at individual Dreamcast games I see "DRM Free". The Collection, for some ungodly reason, says "STARFORCE".

What the... ?

Man, I really want to grab Sonic CD, but I don't know if the $2.50 is worth it. (I've bought Sonic CD several times now, from the horrible PC version from the 90's to the actual Sega CD version.) It's hard to say no to the game since it was rebuilt and has nice features like Steam Achievements.

CAG's, is Sonic CD worth another round? What makes this new version truly stand out?

For anyone interested, these are the DLCs that are not part of the Gamersgate Magicka Collection (according to the list on Steam):

Holiday Spirit $1.00
Horror Props Item Pack $1.50
Lonely Island Cruise $1.00
The Stars Are Left $2.98

So it looks like a total of $12.47 for the game and all DLC available compared to Steam's current Collection price of $24.99 or ~50% off. Anyone know if Steam puts the collection on sale for less than that? I have had this one on my wishlist for quite a while.

15% off for life? Hmm, wish I would've grabbed that before IGN nixed trial accounts. That discount can be used on games that on sale too right?

[quote name='TripJack']15% off for life? Hmm, wish I would've grabbed that before IGN nixed trial accounts. That discount can be used on games that on sale too right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it stacks.

[quote name='TripJack']15% off for life? Hmm, wish I would've grabbed that before IGN nixed trial accounts. That discount can be used on games that on sale too right?[/QUOTE]

Some newer stuff it only gives you the 15% in blue coins though.

[quote name='vherub']I believe Sonic Cd is steam activated, right?[/QUOTE]
Yes, the DRM is "Steamworks." I'm still a bit torn on Sonic CD, which is odd considering the great price, but I'm not sure if I'd have the time to really appreciate it. I'm hoping a few CAG's will throw in their two cents on the game; The Retro Engine does sound intriguing.

[quote name='Palinn']For anyone interested, these are the DLCs that are not part of the Gamersgate Magicka Collection (according to the list on Steam):

Holiday Spirit $1.00
Horror Props Item Pack $1.50
Lonely Island Cruise $1.00
The Stars Are Left $2.98

So it looks like a total of $12.47 for the game and all DLC available compared to Steam's current Collection price of $24.99 or ~50% off. Anyone know if Steam puts the collection on sale for less than that? I have had this one on my wishlist for quite a while.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they do. It was $6.24 back in January, and one or two months after that, I think.. but the January collection was missing the lonely island cruise DLC. If you can wait for it to go on sale on Steam again and you want all of the DLC, you're better off buying it there.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Some newer stuff it only gives you the 15% in blue coins though.[/QUOTE]
You sure? I just tried a few of the newest games on the site and they all take 15% off the price upfront. It does show the amount off in blue coins, for if you're paying with them.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']You sure? I just tried a few of the newest games on the site and they all take 15% off the price upfront. It does show the amount off in blue coins, for if you're paying with them.[/QUOTE]

Positive, try it on Alan Wake. Maybe its just that game...but it gives me blue coins in place of the discount.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Positive, try it on Alan Wake. Maybe its just that game...but it gives me blue coins in place of the discount.[/QUOTE]
Oh wow. Not only that, but Alan Wake makes the entire cart give cashback instead. Thanks for the head's up. FAQ updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back