GamersGate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received an email from Gamersgate. They have a program called VOID. You activate your VOID account. You then find a game part of the VOID catalog. You add it to one of your VOID slots.

You install the game. When launching the game you watch 60 secs of videos then you're off to your game, never bothered again. They say this supports the devs. You can keep the game forever or you can remove it and replace it with another VOID game.

Remember FREE is ALWAYS Good :)

http://www.gamersgate.com/void

Just a note that VOID is out of beta and live now.

I'm downloading Black Mirror now to see if it will run under Windows 7. The box copy reportedly does not.

[quote name='Motoki']Just a note that VOID is out of beta and live now.

I'm downloading Black Mirror now to see if it will run under Windows 7. The box copy reportedly does not.[/QUOTE]

I'm doing the exact same thing. Connection keeps being reset though, I assume their servers are getting blasted right now.

Black Mirror refuses to boot after the ads are done, I got an error message with agds.exe just saying it's stopped responding, deleting that program just causes the same blind crash after the ads without the error message. I'm running Win7 64 bit, tried Win XP compatibility mode, no dice. Also, the support site listed in the readme doesn't exist anymore.

So I got Black Mirror to work for me with XP compatibility mode and run as admin on the Bmirror.exe file (not the agds.exe).

It does run okay for me. you can't see the option to save until you hover over the upper right corner in the black space just above the top right of the viewable area. Then a little gears icon shows up and if you click on that it takes you to a menu to save.

Without the compatibility mode it still ran for me but the icons above and below to save and use items would not show even when hovered over.

I found that although I can edit the agds.cfg to change the resolution, it crashes on 1920x1080 after the ads are done and 1024x768 runs but the main character is oddly very tiny. It seems the game pretty much has to run at 800x600.

I'm not really sure what else it different about my Win7 64 setup than what you are running Walksonshadows that is making it work for me. Like I said it did work even before compatibility mode for me it was just that the hover over icons weren't showing.

[quote name='Motoki']So I got Black Mirror to work for me with XP compatibility mode and run as admin on the Bmirror.exe file (not the agds.exe).

It does run okay for me. you can't see the option to save until you hover over the upper right corner in the black space just above the top right of the viewable area. Then a little gears icon shows up and if you click on that it takes you to a menu to save.

Without the compatibility mode it still ran for me but the icons above and below to save and use items would not show even when hovered over.

I found that although I can edit the agds.cfg to change the resolution, it crashes on 1920x1080 after the ads are done and 1024x768 runs but the main character is oddly very tiny. It seems the game pretty much has to run at 800x600.

I'm not really sure what else it different about my Win7 64 setup than what you are running Walksonshadows that is making it work for me. Like I said it did work even before compatibility mode for me it was just that the hover over icons weren't showing.[/QUOTE]

I have windows 7 and I just ran it fine with no tweaking or errors at all. I DLed it, the installed, then it asked me to run it. It ran straight from the agds.exe, loaded, played, and then once it loaded to the first exploration area I just hovered above and below the screen and saw both the items and gears and was able to quit the game with no issue.

Thanks OP. Good set of games.
gfvbnjkl

I got it to run perfectly by downloading a patch for the agds.exe file after googling Black Mirror Patch. It's technically a no-CD patch for the exe's. I don't see how that makes it a crack, since the video ads are still paying before the game launches, thoughts?

[quote name='walkonshadows']I got it to run perfectly by downloading a patch for the agds.exe file after googling Black Mirror Patch. It's technically a no-CD patch for the exe's. I don't see how that makes it a crack, since the video ads are still paying before the game launches, thoughts?[/QUOTE]

It's a free game and you are still seeing the ads they want you to see so I honestly don't see the harm. It's not like anyone is losing money or you circumvented the ads.

[quote name='Motoki']It's a free game and you are still seeing the ads they want you to see so I honestly don't see the harm. It's not like anyone is losing money or you circumvented the ads.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I'd blame them for making it so glitchy. Hyped to be able to play this for free and then move on to 2 and 3.

Liking their free service so far. Lots of adventure games that I have been interested in playing and free is the best price.

I'm reading there is a major game ending bug in Chapter 2 (people complaining about it at the same time as the game start up glitch), as far as I can tell this is the v1.0 version of the game (version info file says 1 Black Mirror when opened in notepad). but there is a patch out for the Chapter 2 bug that brings it to v1.2. I'm still hunting it down, if anyone beats me to it, post here. Btw the patch I applied didn't touch the actual BMirror.exe, only agds.exe, and data.adb files.

Also, there is a huge amount of potential for a service like this, this business model is genius, and yet it's been done in TV and radio for decades, never thought about applying it to video games, and even then they've managed to stock great games, not reliant on older titles. Looking good.

Agreed. It seems like a decent service. Free is free so nothing to complain about there.

There selection is a bit better than I would have thought too. I know there were a number of people hoping for a super cheap sale on Risen 1 when the second game came out, which really didn't happen, but now it's on VOID so that's even better.

Found this for the Chapter 2 bug in Black Mirror, they also responded with the same answer on the Gamersgate forums.

You have to rename tha file "mejerk.chr" to "majerk.chr" in your game directory! Or if you already have a file named "majerk.chr" just delete the other file named "mejerk.chr"

The default install from the Void service has all the files mentioned above, have not made it to Chapter 2 to test yet. Supposedly it's a problem related to video cards when it tries to render the rain at a certain point.

This service isn't making me want to buy any large games on GamersGate that aren't redeemable on Steam. Twice now my download speed has gone down to 0 kB/s and sat there for a few minutes. When I pause and unpause it starts back up. I assume it isn't resuming the file that it lost connection during, because the first time I had to redownload ~200 mb. Just now I lost 1.2 GB.

The only ISPs available to me have data caps, and the last couple of months I've been within 8 GB of hitting mine. Redownloading 1.5 GB may not be a big deal, but it has the potential to be.

[quote name='louiedog']This service isn't making me want to buy any large games on GamersGate that aren't redeemable on Steam. Twice now my download speed has gone down to 0 kB/s and sat there for a few minutes. When I pause and unpause it starts back up. I assume it isn't resuming the file that it lost connection during, because the first time I had to redownload ~200 mb. Just now I lost 1.2 GB.

The only ISPs available to me have data caps, and the last couple of months I've been within 8 GB of hitting mine. Redownloading 1.5 GB may not be a big deal, but it has the potential to be.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem, but it finally caught on a steady connection and DLed everything. My assumption is being this just launched (though it's been beta) they probably have a ton of people trying to connect (launched on a holiday in the states) so hopefully once the demand normalizes the connection problems will go away.

I already ran into a brief bug in BM, audio cut off and went static for a few seconds. Good thing I wasn't using headphones.

The save system is a bit odd, you have to click a save spot then start typing then press enter. But the cursors don't change appropriately to indicate this whole process.

Edit:

Well unfortunately I've had the static issue pop up 3 times now, and the static is louder than the game by a lot so I would not recommend headphones when playing. The game also just crashed completely in the first chapter.

Double Edit:

Well the game was crashing every time I tried to go to the stable outside in the garden. Read online to try running it under Windows 98 Compatibility mode and did so and was able to try to go to the stables without the game crashing. Still having the static issues, so I will try to find a solution for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bassec']Anyone found a way around the internet explorer mandatory install? I haven't had IE on my computer in years.[/QUOTE]

It pops up IE ads in new windows when you watch some of the vids. I assume that's why there's a mandatory install. Wish they let you choose a browser but I don't see that anywhere.

The game selection is better than I gave it credit for. My earlier assessment was based on the fact that I already own most of the games I'd be interested in playing on it, so it's limited for me personally.

Anyway, I've been pleased with it so far. I was expecting a few ads during gameplay but there's nothing of the sort. Finally get a chance to beat Risen.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Found this for the Chapter 2 bug in Black Mirror, they also responded with the same answer on the Gamersgate forums.

You have to rename tha file "mejerk.chr" to "majerk.chr" in your game directory! Or if you already have a file named "majerk.chr" just delete the other file named "mejerk.chr"

The default install from the Void service has all the files mentioned above, have not made it to Chapter 2 to test yet. Supposedly it's a problem related to video cards when it tries to render the rain at a certain point.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this is what I read and what finally got everything to work for me:

1. Right click on the game icon and set it to run in Windows 98 configuration mode.

2. Go into the game directory and delete the majerk.chr file completely.

3. Rename the remaining mejerk.chr file to majerk.chr

This took care of all the problems.

When I just threw away the mejerk.chr file and left the existing majerk.chr file the game bugs persisted.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Actually, this is what I read and what finally got everything to work for me:

1. Right click on the game icon and set it to run in Windows 98 configuration mode.

2. Go into the game directory and delete the majerk.chr file completely.

3. Rename the remaining mejerk.chr file to majerk.chr

This took care of all the problems.

When I just threw away the mejerk.chr file and left the existing majerk.chr file the game bugs persisted.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cheap.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Is Cursed Mountain any good? I've seen very little of it, but it seems fairly interesting. Kind of reminds me of Silent Hill in terms of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I played it on Wii and enjoyed it, it took some time getting used to but that may have been the controls. I'm not sure how the PC version controls and if there are any differences or not, but if not I would recommend giving it a try, especially since it's free through this VOID thing.

Also, thanks OP for posting this, there are some games on this list that I wouldn't mind trying myself and I see a few my dad may also like so I'll have to let him know about this.

I installed Risen from GG through the VOID program. After fully downloading and installing, it asks if I want to launch the game. I then get a popup about searching for upgrades, but the game does not launch after that. I only use Google Chrome and don't have IE of any kind on my machine. Is that what is causing the game not to launch?

[quote name='jling84']I installed Risen from GG through the VOID program. After fully downloading and installing, it asks if I want to launch the game. I then get a popup about searching for upgrades, but the game does not launch after that. I only use Google Chrome and don't have IE of any kind on my machine. Is that what is causing the game not to launch?[/QUOTE]

Most likely, yeah. It requires IE for the ads. Dumb, I know.

[quote name='sunghost']Most likely, yeah. It requires IE for the ads. Dumb, I know.[/QUOTE]

Ah I see. I really appreciate the info. I uninstalled and re-downloaded the game 3 times thinking that something had gone bad during that process. I guess it's time to reinstall IE.

Thats interesting about IE as IE doesn't actually uninstall when you "uninstall" it. Because its rendering engine is still used throughout Windows. My understanding is that the application is still there in a way, just without executable.

It may be worth passing on this criticism to GMG if its bothering you. If it s a problem in the US, I can only imagine the EU is going to be worse.

[quote name='lifeiskewl']Is that the cheapest Killing floor will go? Or should I wait for the Steam summer/winter sale?[/QUOTE]
It was down to $2.99 on Steam 3 months ago, so it can go a little lower.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']It was down to $2.99 on Steam 3 months ago, so it can go a little lower.[/QUOTE]

ahh alright thanks

OK guys it's still possible to get Blades of Time from Gamersgate for 75% off. I just got the Limited Edition for $10. The special code they sent me was one-time use only, but if you write them and complain about it changing price mid-sale, they will change it, reference this customer service request.I also referenced this thread in my first email to them, so they are aware there are other. I was going to post the code they created, but it was invalid after I bought my game, here's the emails:

#275161: Blades of Time Limited Edition mis-priced/changed

[FONT=Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
"You did nothing. The price is back to $40. Before I fill out this satisfaction survey, let's be clear. Your're not doing anything for the customers that wanted this game while it was on sale, and you took so long to respond, it's n ot on sale anymore, therefor screwing the people waiting to buy it when the price was fixed to match not only what was advertised, but it actually was listed at until it magically changed mid-sale. Your're doing nothing?
[/FONT]"

[FONT=Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]No, I have not done anything more but forwarding the problem to our "human error", but unfortunately he is at E3 in San Fransisco for the moment.
The prices are set in the system to be changed automatically.
All prices, sales and offers are made in cooperations with the publishers. I cant say why only one title was changed from 75% off to 50%. I'm sure they had a reason, or as mentioned, it may be the human error.

I'll tell you what. Use the code walkonshadows in the redeem field in the checkout. It will give you 75% off for that game.

Andreas P
Customer Support Manager
GamersGate

[/FONT][FONT=Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Use the support button, and be sure to mark it "critical"[/FONT]

[quote name='zubalove']Crap I just got the Gothic Complete Pack on Steam through Ebay for $25 last month. Why do I do this to myself?[/QUOTE]

You're doing it wrong?

[quote name='zubalove']Clearly.[/QUOTE]

I think the arcana gothic pack you bought was 12.50 on steam in April. Steamprices.com is a good resource to use when you're looking to buy something on steam.

[quote name='zubalove']Crap I just got the Gothic Complete Pack on Steam through Ebay for $25 last month. Why do I do this to myself?[/QUOTE]

FWIW it was the deal of the day on April 13th at $12.49 on Steam so someone probably bought extra giftable copies to sell at twice that on eBay.

Also the Steam summer sale is coming up so it really does not pay to buy anything for Steam unless it's an absolutely amazing 75% off or more deal.

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West is down to $1.50 or $4.50 for the four pack. I know the game is dead, but this is the cheapest it has been by far and could be good if you've got friends willing to play it too. After the discount the four pack was only $3.82 so only .96 cents a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back