4yr old boy shoots dad over PS

That's gotta be one of the most halfassed articles I've ever read.

If the neighborhood was so dangerous that dad had to take a gun to the store with him, he probably should have bought the Playstation to keep his kid inside the house.

I Don't know why they got to put he's Saudi in the headlines. I Mean I don't ever see "Angry white boy shoots parent over video games."

[quote name='bardockkun']I Don't know why they got to put he's Saudi in the headlines. I Mean I don't ever see "Angry white boy shoots parent over video games."[/QUOTE]
Because the story is from Daily Mail UK, is about an incident that happened in Saudi Arabia, and also features mention of a similar incident that happened in Great Britain. The same headline would run in any international news source when referring to something that happened outside of the country.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Don't know why they got to put he's Saudi in the headlines. I Mean I don't ever see "Angry white boy shoots parent over video games."[/QUOTE]

Just to make you racist idiots cry. Seriously, grow up. I dont see you complaining about the picture they show of a white boy playing GTA. You should be outraged over that. And hey look the white boy is playing as a black guy with a gun in GTA :O Or lord lets all go cry about it.

The tragic incident will add fuel to the debate that playing violent video games makes youngsters aggressive and alters their perception of reality.

so he didnt have a playstation, but playing violent games on the playstation made him kill his dad...some reasoning skills there.

[quote name='GUNNM']In SA if he shot his mother he wouldn't get in trouble. He might be beheaded for this[/QUOTE]

lol...did anybody else first read this as "San Andreas" and not "Saudi Arabia"? hahaha...oh, GTA.

That dad is an idiot for leaving a loaded gun laying around. This is sad but I'm sure people have a learned a little something from this.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']That dad is an idiot for leaving a loaded gun laying around. This is sad but I'm sure people have a learned a little something from this.[/QUOTE]

What's funny is how that fact gets lost on so many people. Kids were playing "Cops and Robbers" or "Cowboys and Indians" long before video games were ever even a thought. And you know what would have happened if someone's parent had been stupid enough to leave a real loaded gun lying around back then? The same damn thing.

I grew up in a house with guns, and I always had toy guns/cap guns/water guns/laser tag guns/you name it. The difference is my father was not a complete moron, taught me the difference, and always made sure his guns were nowhere near my reach.

That dad is an idiot for leaving a loaded gun laying around. This is sad but I'm sure people have a learned a little something from this.
The sad thing is most people don't learn anything from this, and are still too stupid to not have loaded guns around children.

People buy weapons to protect their property and family, no? If that person is so heroic as to invest in the last line of defense, it seems odd they'd pass on one of the best forms of defense merely because it would take a bit of extra work.

And hell, maybe the kid would have something to play with besides guns laying around the house.

(really though I have no idea how they deal with pets over there, referring to people I know in the U.S. really)

[quote name='ritchardf']The tragic incident will add fuel to the debate that playing violent video games makes youngsters aggressive and alters their perception of reality.

so he didnt have a playstation, but playing violent games on the playstation made him kill his dad...some reasoning skills there.[/QUOTE]

LOL this is what I was thinking. Also, 4 year olds are stupid and don't understand cause and effect.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']That's gotta be one of the most halfassed articles I've ever read.[/QUOTE]

never read the daily mail before, have yeh?

;)

[quote name='panzerfaust']People buy weapons to protect their property and family, no? If that person is so heroic as to invest in the last line of defense, it seems odd they'd pass on one of the best forms of defense merely because it would take a bit of extra work.

And hell, maybe the kid would have something to play with besides guns laying around the house.[/QUOTE]

Yes, rather than teach responsibility, let's teach avoidance! Brilliant! People shouldn't be allowed to have cars either. Bicycles are far less dangerous and better for the planet.

We have methods of rating video games, we have methods of gun control, and we live in the information age where everything is a click away. Yet how many prepubescent kids do you find playing violent, M-rated games in online multiplayer because their parents neglect to research or take interest in what their children are interested in?

Shit like this will always happen, guys. People are generally morons.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Why can't people just buy a dog instead of a firearm? It's really that simple.[/QUOTE]

You cant kill a gun.

If someone breaks into my house, I'd much rather have a pistol than a dog.

[quote name='SEH']You cant kill a gun.

If someone breaks into my house, I'd much rather have a pistol than a dog.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the burglar will be honorable enough to wake you up for the quick draw on the staircase.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm sure the burglar will be honorable enough to wake you up for the quick draw on the staircase.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm pretty much awake until 6AM every single day, so yeah, I'll be up if someone tries getting into my house.

I don't get all the anti-gun people. If you're responsible, owning a gun isn't anything to be afraid of. Respect the gun and the power it brings and learn how to use it, not that hard. Obviously if you treat a gun like a toy (or in this case leave it loaded within arms reach of your four year old) bad things will happen.

EDIT

Also, I'd like to add that not everyone wants a psychotic Rottweiler or Pitbull that could turn on you at the drop of a dime and eat your fucking children, because lets face it, having just any old dog isn't going to scare everyone away.

That said, I own multiple firearms as well as a Labrador. My Lab is a sweetheart and wouldn't hurt a fly. Yeah, she'll bark at someone unknown, but once they're in the house, shes more likely to run to them in hopes of them petting her than run to them and tear their face off. I don't want a dog so I can train it to be a violent killing machine. I want a family pet that I know is going to be fine around people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not anti-gun or fearful of having a loaded one in the house at all. I just find it curious that someone will have a gun in the bedroom but not even so much as a dog in the house.

I guess you'll be awake and prepared though, so that's wonderful.

Not everyone wants a dog dude. Also, this is Saudi Arabia, maybe dogs aren't commonplace there like they are here. I'm confused as to how this turned into "he had a gun, but no dog, wtf". I don't get how someone having a gun means they HAVE to also have a dog.

[quote name='crunchewy']Do you stay up until 6 in the morning with all the lights off?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what that really has to do with anything, but I'll indulge you.

Aside from regular things like a porch light being on at night, yes. There are other people in the house trying to sleep, so usually all the lights are off aside from the glow of a monitor or television screen.

[quote name='SEH']Not sure what that really has to do with anything, but I'll indulge you.

Aside from regular things like a porch light being on at night, yes. There are other people in the house trying to sleep, so usually all the lights are off aside from the glow of a monitor or television screen.[/QUOTE]

Point is that if a house is looking actively lived in at the time, especially at 4 in the morning when there's likely lots of other houses a lot less actively being lived in right then, then it's pretty darn unlikely a burglar would go in in the first place. So that alone would be protection enough.

If you're concerned about burglary, a dog is going to be a much more effective defense than a gun. They will wake up if something is amiss.

[quote name='SEH']Not everyone wants a dog dude. [/quote]
Protect your family to the last stand, but I mean ugh, yeah, -- dogs are a pain.
Also, this is Saudi Arabia, maybe dogs aren't commonplace there like they are here. I'm confused as to how this turned into "he had a gun, but no dog, wtf". I don't get how someone having a gun means they HAVE to also have a dog.

Just spinning boring threads into some kind of discussion, and clearly stated on the last page that I have no idea how pets are handled in Saudi Arabia, so my advice certainly may not hold any relevance to the topic.

The writer is guilty of hack writing to play the moral agenda. Kid shooting dad over not having a PS3 =/= Kid shooting dad after a session of GTA.

I don't mind ownership of guns but displays of a lapse of sense like this prevent me from thinking every household should have a gun.

The question is was it a one time accidental lapse that resulted in an accident? I have absolutely no idea. The article sheds no light on it/is pretty atrociously bad for all the reasons already mentioned. But I have to laugh a little at all the claims that responsible gun owners do not make mistakes. Ever. Because of course they are perfect and accidents don't happen.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Protect your family to the last stand, but I mean ugh, yeah, -- dogs are a pain.

Just spinning boring threads into some kind of discussion, and clearly stated on the last page that I have no idea how pets are handled in Saudi Arabia, so my advice certainly may not hold any relevance to the topic.[/QUOTE]

Since you have absolutely zero knowledge on gun ownership or dog ownership in Saudi Arabia, you are only trolling this topic. Stop. Also doesn't help that you respond sarcastically.

With the effort the OP put into this, I didn't think the thread was engrossing enough to warrant backseat moderating over side talk. My apologies, I'll end the conversation there, but it's not my fault if others continue it. In fact I'll delete my previous posts.

By the way, when you actually happen upon a real troll, don't feed him so easily. Just hit the report button -- the world would be a better place =]

[quote name='ritchardf']The tragic incident will add fuel to the debate that playing violent video games makes youngsters aggressive and alters their perception of reality.

so he didnt have a playstation, but playing violent games on the playstation made him kill his dad...some reasoning skills there.[/QUOTE]
I thought the same thing as I read this. Always blaming before thinking...

Love how this can't just be an isolated incident. That it's rooted in videogames.

Yeah, the teacher in Saudi Arabia said her students talk about Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, and pretend to shoot eachother at recess. We shot the shit out of eachother with Nerf guns when we were kids, nobody took those away. Kids play cops & robbers, and cowboys & Indians. It's normal. End of story.

[quote name='dohdough']Hey guys, the Daily Mail is a tabloid newspaper. It's like citing the Onion.[/QUOTE]

Somebody else posted an article on the forums about "helping" some veteran by telling John Stewart and Colbert to report on it. How that's supposed to "help" I don't understand, won't bring his dead wife back. And if the guy wasn't a veteran the douche that made the video wouldn't even have bothered.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Somebody else posted an article on the forums about "helping" some veteran by telling John Stewart and Colbert to report on it. How that's supposed to "help" I don't understand, won't bring his dead wife back. And if the guy wasn't a veteran the douche that made the video wouldn't even have bothered.[/QUOTE]
All good points that could addressed in that thread by 62t. My instincts tell me it has nothing to do with "helping" the veteran at all.

So we don't all assume he was black? zing!

To close the gun vs. dog argument: you can't disarm a gun with a big juicy steak and baby talk.

bread's done
Back